Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #10,696 of 48,568
Quote:
All IEMs I have used dont do well with DH gaming compared to full sized headphones. Dont see why anyone would even bother. If uou have some, go for it, but no IEMs will ever compare to what a full sized headphone can do.

Thank you for the input. I pretty much had given up on the idea, lol. It was just something that struck me at the last minute. Don't know why my knowledge of psykoacoustics, however little it may be, failed to present itself. I should know better, lol. You're right. Imaging and soundstaging is certainly better in cans vs IEM's. So, Mad, have you found anything better in the price range besides the Annies? It's not just a rebranded K702 apparently (some feel that there is only a minor difference).
Quote:
An IEM doesn't engage your whole ear the way a full size headphone does, and the rest of your ear past the ear canal isn't just there for show or as an evolutionary remnant...
tongue.gif
Just like portable on ears or clip-ons (or headphones vs speakers), they'll always have their limit.

Right right. I know that, lol. Wouldn't it be better if a headphone was more like an ear speaker then? Something that just kinda hung there?

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #10,697 of 48,568
I'd have to compare the Q and Annie directly, but based on memory, I don't feel the difference is minor. It is similar in soundstage and clarity, but the Annie is warmer and definitely more bassy in the way that the bass is noticeably fuller and more engaging, and not necessarily turning the AKG into a basshead headphone. It basically makes the sound coming off the Qs, fuller, even more balanced, and musical.

I feel that with that change in tone as well as a huge boost in comfort from the headband and pads, its worth getting over the Qs and other Ks.

Like I mentioned before, I wouldn't have ever used the Qs for music, but the Annie's difference made it to where I wanna use them all the time for music. Since getting the Annies, I have been using them almost nonstop for all purposes. My HE400 is looking a bit neglected.

As always a subtle change in SQ tends to be worth hundreds of dollars (I.e. D5000 vs D7000), so ultimately it's up to you to decide whether the premium is worth it.

Realistically, I feel the improvement over the others would put the Annie as a $350 headphone, but you have to factor in the cost of it being limited release, and the new headband/pads.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #10,698 of 48,568
Quote:
I'd have to compare the Q and Annie directly, but based on memory, I don't feel the difference is minor. It is similar in soundstage and clarity, but the Annie is warmer and definitely more bassy. I feel that with thay change in tone as well as a huge boost in comfort from the headband and pads, its worth getting over the Qs and other Ks.

Like I mentioned before, I wouldn't have ever used the Qs for music, but the Annie's difference made it to where I wanna use them all the time for music. Since getting the Annies, I have been using them almost nonstop for all purposes. My HE400 is looking a bit neglected.

As always a subtle change in SQ tends to be worth hundreds of dollars (I.e. D5000 vs D7000), so ultimately it's up to you to decide whether the premium is worth it.

All right. As compared to everything else in the, idk, around $500 price range, this is it eh? Nah, def not worth it, lol. $410-$430 is plenty enough as it is, lol.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #10,699 of 48,568
Quote:
Right right. I know that, lol. Wouldn't it be better if a headphone was more like an ear speaker then? Something that just kinda hung there?

Sort of like a speaker mounted to each side of your head somehow?

Maybe connect the two in such away that they hung off your head?

Maybe even use some sort of padding to seal the sound better and comfort?

You could be onto something there.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10,700 of 48,568
There are plenty of headphones I havent heard yet in the price range.

Beyer T90 maybe? But I'm done with the Beyer treble peaks, and I'm moving towards warmer, smoother sound with more musicality.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #10,701 of 48,568
Quote:

Yup, but the problem with that is, the speakers would blend with each other. I guess that's why most headphones come with a seal, lol.
Quote:

Beyer T90 maybe? But I'm done with the Beyer treble peaks, and I'm moving towards warmer, smoother sound with more musicality.

I wish I knew of all of them, to compare.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10,702 of 48,568
All I know is that nothing outside of Stax and HD800 will compare to the AD700/K/Q/Annie soundstage, which is a huge reason why they are so potent for gaming use.

The Annie's amazing tonal balance paired up with that soundstage is what makes them so infectious. You do get a huge chunk of what I mean with the Q701, but miss that fullness the Annie adds to the Q's sound.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #10,703 of 48,568
Quote:
All I know is that nothing outside of Stax and HD800 will compare to the AD700/K/Q/Annie soundstage, which is a huge reason why they are so potent for gaming use.

The Annie's amazing tonal balance paired up with that soundstage is what makes them so infectious. You do get a huge chunk of what I mean with the Q701, but miss that fullness the Annie adds to the Q's sound.

Got it :) Thank you sir. Just waiting for that $409 price again... EDIT: Speak of the devil, lol. There it is. Right on time. Camelcamelcamel had not updated yet to show the reflected price, but I looked at the recent pattern for the pricing. $499 in the very early A.M., then $409 into the later P.M. It's been going on like that for around 5 days. Right on time again today, $409. BUYING NOW.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #10,704 of 48,568
Quote:
I wish I knew of all of them, to compare.

What is it you find lacking with in your 701's that you feel the need to change?

By all accounts they're pretty awesome in themselves.

Perhaps what you're after isn't really possible to roll all up in 1 single headphone - if it's more likely to be the case maybe keep the 701's and grab a set of Samson SR850's ($30??) for those times you want the extra bass. If you like them enough grab some velour pads and you'll be wrapped. They probably cover the fun factor that the 701's are missing.

If there's something else you thing is lacking in the 701's is it in gaming or music?

If it's the music side then again - keep the 701's and grab a cheaper pair for music - the world is much more open there if you're not as needful of directional/positional queues as you are in games.

The Audio Techica M-50's ($100??) could fill that spot very well for instance if you're after a more bassy sound, but aren't much good for gaming.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #10,705 of 48,568
He could also get an E17 or E7K and use them to add bass to the Q701 and pre-amp to a real amp with it's bypass switch.

Seriously, if I wasnt so against tweaking a headphone's innate sound, I would have stuck with t. E17 as my dac, use the LO bypass and hook that up to my amp, and use the bass balance controls on the E17.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #10,706 of 48,568
Quote:

What is it you find lacking with in your 701's that you feel the need to change?

By all accounts they're pretty awesome in themselves.

Perhaps what you're after isn't really possible to roll all up in 1 single headphone - if it's more likely to be the case maybe keep the 701's and grab a set of Samson SR850's ($30??) for those times you want the extra bass. If you like them enough grab some velour pads and you'll be wrapped. They probably cover the fun factor that the 701's are missing.

If there's something else you thing is lacking in the 701's is it in gaming or music?

If it's the music side then again - keep the 701's and grab a cheaper pair for music - the world is much more open there if you're not as needful of directional/positional queues as you are in games.

The Audio Techica M-50's ($100??) could fill that spot very well for instance if you're after a more bassy sound, but aren't much good for gaming.

I meant all the headphones in the price range. I just like to make an informed decision. From what I've read, from some, the Annies fix every single flaw I had with the Q's, so I'll give it a go. Thank you for the input though :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #10,707 of 48,568
Quote:
He could also get an E17 or E7K and use them to add bass to the Q701 and pre-amp to a real amp with it's bypass switch.

Yeah - was going to suggest an amp with bass boost or even just EQ'ing if it's music where he's finding a lack.

More details on what he's after compared to what he has could help.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #10,708 of 48,568
Pretty sure the Q701 with the E17 (and E07k) at +4 bass would be amazing. I enjoyed the Q701 with a software bass boost just fine. I just rather not mess with eq, personally.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #10,709 of 48,568
Quote:

Yeah - was going to suggest an amp with bass boost or even just EQ'ing if it's music where he's finding a lack.

More details on what he's after compared to what he has could help.

Hey, lol, I ordered the Annie you two. I edited my post. BestSeller21 on Amazon - New for $409.
Quote:
Pretty sure the Q701 with the E17 (and E07k) at +4 bass would be amazing. I enjoyed the Q701 with a software bass boost just fine. I just rather not mess with eq, personally.

Read response above, and once again, thank you :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #10,710 of 48,568
Quote:

AKG 1000 says hello. 

Quote:

Reading through the Beyer T90 thread that is one picky ass headphone. Some amps give it bass, some take it all away, sometimes it is K701, sometimes it is worse then a T70, sometimes better. Having to have a specific setup for just one headphone outside of a electrostatic just sounds like a pain in the rump and I am far to lazy for that, as much as I love the look of the T90. Hope in 2013/14 Beyer wakes the hell up and produces a proper big brother to the DTseries.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back