Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #8,957 of 48,562
Actually Evs, the KSC35 and 75 use different drivers. The KSC75 uses titanium coated drivers. The 35 doesnt.

A common misconception.

No matter how you slice it, the 35 is warmer, and fuller sounding. Even using the 75's clips, the 35 is still the better can, though not by a lot.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8,958 of 48,562
Hmm, fascinating, both the KSC 75 and 35 have 60 Ohm impedance. Goes to show you what high sensitivity can do for making a headphone easy to drive, though did you say, Mad, that they scaled up with your amp? And looking at the site, I see Koss was careful to advertise the 2mm titanium coating on the KSC 75, but not on the 35.

Also just saw that you played Metro 2033 and didn't like it. Did you get far enough to go through the ghost tunnel, halfway through the game? The scene might be too slow paced or ficticious for you, but I thought it was unique and a bit spooky, my fav part. Near there was the first time you see an anomaly, which is a scene with AWESOME rumbly bass! If you didn't yet return the game, you owe it to yourself to play it on easy and just rush through to that part! It's too bad you didn't like it... though I'm curious, what about it didn't you like?

OH! Just remembered what I originally edited my reply for! How do you like your ODAC, do you really feel it made a difference? :D

Ps did you really send your DT990s back, or were you just thinking about it?

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #8,959 of 48,562
Naingolann,
Somehow missed your reply. I also find my computer LCD monitor to have superior quality reproducing motion to the LCD TV, despite being a modest $150 Dell from... like... 8 years ago. From what I read before buying my Panasonic plasma, the way to go with gaming screens is advertising panels, often the same screens as commercial versions but without the extra "image enhancing processing" features. I looked and didn't see any priced as nicely as what I could get while working at Sears (Portrait Studio still had employee discount), overall I'm really happy with my setup (which is boxed up in the basement T_T).

I also loved Metro 2033.

Who said console POV is terrible, and should be back like PC games? I don't understand what you mean, a wider angle of view, or a more narrow angle so that distances are compressed and don't appear to whirl around as much? If you're not sure what I'm talking about (I'm speaking relative to camera lens "zoom") I explained the phenomenon pretty well in this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1153707/wideangle_pointandshoot.html

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #8,960 of 48,562
Quote:
No matter how you slice it, the 35 is warmer, and fuller sounding. Even using the 75's clips, the 35 is still the better can, though not by a lot.

I need to check this again, because last time I listened to them both I could barely hear a difference.  Like I would fail a blind test with it. 

Either way, the KSC35 aren't worth the price difference over the KSC75. Not when the KSC75 sell for $14 and the KSC35 are ~$40 $44.  For that price you can buy both a KSC75 and some sportapros (KSC35 driver) and swap them back and forth.

Actually, I just checked and I can't even find the KSC35 for sale anywhere (except a $70 listing on ebay)??  Wonder what's up with that...
Only available directly from Koss....  :\

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8,961 of 48,562
Played for a couple of hours. Not my cup of tea.

I like the odac, just as I liked the nfb5's dac, fiio d3 and fiio e17. The differences were so minute that is not worth getting a headache over. The odac is the smoothest, but in blind testing I'd fail to hear a difference 99% of the time. Amps make a bigger difference, and even then it's minute fwih.

The 990s are boxed up. Like a band aid. .. hurts, but I don't want more than one full sized open can.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #8,962 of 48,562
I need to check this again, because last time I listened to them both I could barely hear a difference.  Like I would fail a blind test with it. 

Either way, the KSC35 aren't worth the price difference over the KSC75. Not when the KSC75 sell for $14 and the KSC35 are ~$40.  For that price you can buy both a KSC75 and some sportapros (KSC35 driver) and swap them back and forth.

Actually, I just checked and I can't even find the KSC35 for sale anywhere (except a $70 listing on ebay)??  Wonder what's up with that...

Only the Koss website sells the KSC35. My long time friend ordered a pair last week after hearing mine.

I definitely hear the difference between the two, but it is slight. Almost like the same headphone, but the bass is fuller on the 35, and the treble is grainier on the 75. The 75 is brighter too, and the mids are more forward on the 35.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #8,963 of 48,562
Only the Koss website sells the KSC35. My long time friend ordered a pair last week after hearing mine.
I definitely hear the difference between the two, but it is slight. Almost like the same headphone, but the bass is fuller on the 35, and the treble is grainier on the 75. The 75 is brighter too, and the mids are more forward on the 35.

Funny, the majority opinion FWIR was that the PortaPros sound better than the sportapro model. I don't remember differences being cited (you didn't say what you didn't like about Metro either, but it's not super important to me beyond curiosity), but I read it so many times that it surprises me... though they also said the KSC 75 had the same driver as the PortaPro. Maybe, not long ago, they did all share a driver, then Koss started this titanium thing? Koss' website states that the PortaPro drivers are Mylar coated... Lol, they love their coatings. Not going to argue if they find these coating boost control or dampen resonance (same thing?).

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #8,964 of 48,562
So is it worth it to spend the $45 of the 35's, or should I just put that money into a pair of decent over-the-ear models?  I just picked up a CMOY 18v [size=medium]JRC4556 Dual Op Amp too, btw.[/size]

Finally learned how to use multi quote on the phone. No its not worth it. The KSC35 is better, but its only slight, with a tonal shift. I'd go for the 75 for the comfort and price. I stuck with the 35 because it is better, and I preferred the fuller, warmer sound. Full sized headphones are better assuming you get something like the Creative Aurvana Live and up. Otherwise, the KSC75 and 35 are amazing and versatile.

P.S.: CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD, YE NOT GUILTY

This pleases me. I swear, they could make an awesome Hollywood live action on Big O. Its so close to Batman, big robot aside.

We have came to team!

To terms!*

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1440-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B0073P4ESO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
What do you think about those MLE? One of the reviews compared the DT 990, AKG 701, and HD650 and liked these the best, claiming he finally found a can that does it all for him.
I could have bought them for $265 on ebay but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, especially since i just got the DT 990s
Might be worth looking into if you want to try something new
Edit: Oops, the person who said that was reviewing the 1840, not the 1440

I would love to try both the 1440 and 1840. I would have bought the 1840s actually, but then I read than they lack bass, and are bright. Dont need that.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #8,965 of 48,562
Quote:
Who said console POV is terrible, and should be back like PC games? I don't understand what you mean, a wider angle of view, or a more narrow angle so that distances are compressed and don't appear to whirl around as much? If you're not sure what I'm talking about (I'm speaking relative to camera lens "zoom") I explained the phenomenon pretty well in this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1153707/wideangle_pointandshoot.html

The narrow FOV in today's PC ports just bugs me. It basically makes it look as if when you turn your head, your view seems kind of zoomed in, as if your eyes are actually a foot in front of your face. Does that make sense?

They say that it's a little trick to help the consoles cope with increased graphical demands, as there's less to be rendered on the screen at once and the effect isn't as irritatingly obvious with a large TV viewed at a distance. It's not something confined to this generation, either; I've noticed it in the PC ports of the first two Turok games from the N64 days. It's only older games that were developed PC-first that seem to have a proper FOV to begin with; go fire up ZDoom (most other Doom source ports should be fine) and then compare it to a more recent game to see what I mean.

I actually want to run up and slap the guys at Gearbox Software because of this in the Borderlands titles. They also made the even weirder decision to increase the FOV to normal levels only when you're sprinting, instead of just reducing it to zoomed-in levels while sprinting like every other game does it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #8,966 of 48,562
Is it something like what happens with RAGE? That game makes me sick. Everything looks zoomed in.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #8,967 of 48,562
People complained about Bioshock's FOV because they found out it was just cropping from a 4:3 frame to produce it's 16:9 widescreen.  You actually saw more if you played in 4:3 (fullscreen) then in widescreen (16:9). 

They patched it though and added an optional wider FOV.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #8,968 of 48,562
Hi guys,

I would like to say a BIG thank you to all of you who have shared your vast experiences with headphones. Through research and contents from threads such as this, i have learnt a lot about headphones especially HE-400.

I have just purchased a new HE-400 few days ago, and was very excited to test it out. What i was looking forward to test and listen to is the performance of HE-400 with CMSS-3D. This is due to the reason that my old headphone (Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset) sounded soo much better with CMSS-3D for music (iTunes) and games, so I was hoping with HE-400 it would be even better.

To my dismay, when I turned-on CMSS-3D with HE-400, it sounded really bad :frowning2: I'm not sure if if's due to a faulty unit or my configuration, but it was missing all the virtual surround which I was expecting from both music and games. When i switched off CMSS-3D, the HE-400 headphone sounded fantastic with really superb spatial sound, bass, etc.

Do you guys have any comment on my scenario, and see if there is something that i'm doing or approaching this whole thing wrong?

Thanks guys..

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #8,969 of 48,562
CMSS-3D in headphone mode can reduce the soundstage in higher-end headphones. The workaround to resolve this issue is to set it to 2.1 speakers instead of headphones, and enable CMSS-3D in the X-Fi control panel. Then set it to 5.1 in windows audio settings.

Finally, browse to C:\ProgramData\Creative\Spi\{0000 some random number string 0000}\THX and edit THX.ini. Under Spatializer, change 2=30 and 4=30 to 2=90 and 4=90. Make this THX.ini file read-only to prevent it from changing the values back. (If you're missing the THX.ini file, just open the THX console and it will generate it for you.)

Hope that helps.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #8,970 of 48,562
So much work...

I rented the new Bond game. Should be fun for a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back