Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #8,656 of 48,562
Indeed I want one for my Phone! As I like'd a Seperate DAC and AMP for at home use with 300ohm+ cans

Still though I do want one to use with mah phone as well as with these terribad school pcs :3

You know that the E17's DAC feature can't be used with phones, right? But the amp is good, get a nice line-out signal from your phone into the E17 and you should see improvement :)

I95North,
It has occurred to me that the different surround "positions" for the DSS2 may be a real benefit, in light of recent conversations reiterating how HTRFs vary from person to person. Also, I saw more recent comments on a listen between the DSS & DSS2, they said the DSS was more "echoey" and possibly better suited for movies, while the tighter positioning accuracy and smaller sense of soundstage sounded more natural and was preferred for action games (like FPS, I assume). Silent Cinema echoes a bit too, but I found I preferred the THX TSP because it doesn't echo, relatively, and not every environment is going to create an echo or sound distant. Also, for me, back-to-front pans sounded more realistic (eg chopper cutscene or space dogfight mission in Reach). It's nice to have a choice, but I feel like the Recon3D in THX TSP mode satisfies my tastes.

Mad,
Love how you go from saying you're gonna be tight on money and selling off your HiFiman HE400 and E17 amp, to flipping an E9k and buying an expensive new amp, DAC, and smartphone. I know it isn't like how it sounds, that your new purchases are long-term and will save you money from buying a succession of inferior items, it just sounds funny when you ignore the reasons. Anyway, testing out new equipment is what has made this guide and thread so great! I just think these companies ought to pay YOU to increase exposure to their products, donuts you agree? :D

Nameless,
Did you make those BF2 videos with X-FI? I like the channel-less full surround processing offered by the X-Fi in theory, but I had a hard time getting a good sense of how the positioning works from the short BF2 clips. I think the CoD2 multiplayer video would be a better example for me, as there is more context with everything panning around rather than just a sound emitting from one position. The beginning of the BF2 video, with the tones playing from the different speaker positions, actually hurts my ears... Too much treble out of my iPad/E5 on my Q701s! Could you help me find the CoD2 video? Perhaps I should try to figure out how I could make a surround-enabled video through THX TSP!
Also, it doesn't really make me feel better knowing you are in a similar position as me regarding money. We both obviously have a lot of skills and potential value, and I think you also should be paid for what you do!

Off Topic: just got offered a job, $10.50/hr plus bonuses for selling featured items, 40 hrs a week, full benefits including dental, paid vacation days, 401k, at FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's). Sound good?

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #8,657 of 48,562
Quote:
I95North,
It has occurred to me that the different surround "positions" for the DSS2 may be a real benefit, in light of recent conversations reiterating how HTRFs vary from person to person. Also, I saw more recent comments on a listen between the DSS & DSS2, they said the DSS was more "echoey" and possibly better suited for movies, while the tighter positioning accuracy and smaller sense of soundstage sounded more natural and was preferred for action games (like FPS, I assume). Silent Cinema echoes a bit too, but I found I preferred the THX TSP because it doesn't echo, relatively, and not every environment is going to create an echo or sound distant. Also, for me, back-to-front pans sounded more realistic (eg chopper cutscene or space dogfight mission in Reach). It's nice to have a choice, but I feel like the Recon3D in THX TSP mode satisfies my tastes.

Hey the recon is no sloutch i switch back n fourth between the DSS2 and recon but the dss1 is really no differnt in terms of technologies from the mixamp at all.  They both share the same chip from freescale ,"DSP56374" along with the gamecom777 pc headset and quite a few others... In the end go with whatever floats your boat.

Upon  my first audition of the recon i thought wow this thing sucks but because of some user error i felt that way at first. After almost giving up on the thing and finding out that its actually very good in thx mode ONLY with a few parameters  turned off and wow i like it just as much as the dss2. The mixamp works for my ears also but i do feel and this is my opinion only that both the recon3D and the dss2 has the edge in positional rear cues and to boot they are both tweakable one more so than the other.

Pretty much you can not go wrong with any of the decoders that's out now!, really its allways go with whats best for you.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #8,658 of 48,562
Quote:
AKG K550: Very sexy. Quite comfy for a pleather padded headphone. Sound? Where is the LIFE? I haven't heard a soulless headphone like this... the bass was terribly weak, and everything felt too sterile and dry. Didn't like them one bit. Don't know why this was so popular, to be honest. They were as inviting as a dentist appointment. The Q701 is INFINITELY better than these. Shame on those who called them a closed Q701. That's an absolute insult to the Q701, even when the Q701 is ampless.
HD558: Hmm! I have to say... I LIKE these! Nice balance, airy sound, not as analytical as the HD598. They surprised me! I could see these being good for competitive gaming without it losing too much musicality. Thumbs up from me.

Does the Q701 have more bass than the K501? 

Also when I first auditioned the HD558, I thought the sound signature was appealing. It's only when I owned it If found it to be very dull. Sucked the life out of my music, kinda like how you described the K550. For gaming the sound was too "thick". Must be that veil people keep mentioning. I didn't find them that airy. They were my first audiophile headphones though, so they probably failed because my expectations were unreasonable. If you ever get to try them at home I'd be very interested to read your review.

Agree about the AT wings, but it's only a problem with the ART series as far as I can tell. The AD900 I had felt brilliant.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #8,659 of 48,562
Quote:
You know that the E17's DAC feature can't be used with phones, right? But the amp is good, get a nice line-out signal from your phone into the E17 and you should see improvement
smily_headphones1.gif

... FACE PALM

I have no idea how to to that, as I have a Android phone... although maybe there's an app I can use for a Clean Out signel... who knows!

Still for a Pure Amp... yea the E17 sounds like a good idea <3

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #8,660 of 48,562
The DAC is for digital sources. USB, optical outs, coaxial outs. THAT'S IT. Anything using a standard audio cable RCA or 3.5mm, is analog already.

evshrug, yes... my logic in terms of purchases does not exist. I have no logic. I'm just extremely terrible when it comes to impulse buys. I admit it. :frowning2:

And GET THAT JOB!

Lol, the T-mobile reps offered me a job at the store since I knew more about the phones than they did. XD I told them I'm a huge tech geek, and they sure did believe me after I schooled them. However, phones are one of my weakest areas of expertise, so I was like 'nah, that's ok'. Lol. I wouldn't be a good sales rep. I don't do well being on the spot like that. I'm too laid back, which is why I like working at nights, where I don't have to deal with a lot, lol.

In other news:

So I JUST plugged in the ODAC. I dunno if it's just me, but it sounds warmer and fuller sounding than I remember the E17 sounding. The ODAC is supposed to be dead neutral, so I expected dry and analytical. Quite surprised. However, my memory for DAC's sound is horrible, so I'm just making an assumption.

It sounds lovely though.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #8,661 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey the recon is no sloutch i switch back n fourth between the DSS2 and recon but the dss1 is really no differnt in terms of technologies from the mixamp at all.  They both share the same chip from freescale ,"DSP56374" along with the gamecom777 pc headset and quite a few others... In the end go with whatever floats your boat.

Upon  my first audition of the recon i thought wow this thing sucks but because of some user error i felt that way at first. After almost giving up on the thing and finding out that its actually very good in thx mode ONLY with a few parameters  turned off and wow i like it just as much as the dss2. The mixamp works for my ears also but i do feel and this is my opinion only that both the recon3D and the dss2 has the edge in positional rear cues and to boot they are both tweakable one more so than the other.

Pretty much you can not go wrong with any of the decoders that's out now!, really its allways go with whats best for you.

Do you have a positional preference for the DSS2?  I have always used #3, but I'm curious if that is also your choice...

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #8,662 of 48,562
Unless the 600ohm improves in bass presence once I get my SA-31 (hoping all that power really brings it out). Still, the mids on the 600ohm are considerably more forward than the 250.

Then... I'm considering getting the HE-4 again... and directly comparing, as I felt the HE-4 to be a more refined 880/990 hybrid, though not sure where bass presence stands. Sigh.... in either case, the 250ohm is a winner in my book. The 600ohm is a bit too balanced for me. Not as fun as I remembered of my older ones, now that I have a chance to hear the 250ohm. I may even return the 250ohm and get the 990 Pros new.

My SA-31 is still in Hong Kong. URGH!

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #8,663 of 48,562
Hmm maybe I should consider getting the dss2 + CAL? That would keep me somewhat in my budget - well slightly over but OK. The dss2+ad700 is also another option, but I'd be sometimes watching movies with them, so I probably need a more well rounded headphone.

I was just going to order the mix amp + ksC75 to tie me over until I can upgrade the headphones. Not sure now.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8,664 of 48,562
Quote:
The DAC is for digital sources. USB, optical outs, coaxial outs. THAT'S IT. Anything using a standard audio cable RCA or 3.5mm, is analog already.
evshrug, yes... my logic in terms of purchases does not exist. I have no logic. I'm just extremely terrible when it comes to impulse buys. I admit it.
frown.gif

And GET THAT JOB!

I plan to, and alas I was almost considering the E17 to use a a DAC with a 3.5mm, don't know why I though it would work... that being said I do need to get an optical or coaxial out on my PC... is Spdif optical or Coaxial... as I need to find the bracket for the pins on my mobo

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #8,665 of 48,562
Quote:
Just got my Galaxy Note II! My ODAC comes in a little later. Christmas came early! Lol... however, I have to cancel the Wii U purchase.
frown.gif

I want a Galaxy Note II so badly. It's pretty much everything I wanted out of older devices like the Dell Axim X50V and HP iPAQ hx4700 I had years ago, except the technology wasn't there yet.

Fortunately, I'm not on a contract. Unfortunately, I can't afford the Note II or even the older GT-N7000, subsidized or not. Maybe if I had a better job...

Quote:
Nameless,
Did you make those BF2 videos with X-FI? I like the channel-less full surround processing offered by the X-Fi in theory, but I had a hard time getting a good sense of how the positioning works from the short BF2 clips. I think the CoD2 multiplayer video would be a better example for me, as there is more context with everything panning around rather than just a sound emitting from one position. The beginning of the BF2 video, with the tones playing from the different speaker positions, actually hurts my ears... Too much treble out of my iPad/E5 on my Q701s! Could you help me find the CoD2 video? Perhaps I should try to figure out how I could make a surround-enabled video through THX TSP!
Also, it doesn't really make me feel better knowing you are in a similar position as me regarding money. We both obviously have a lot of skills and potential value, and I think you also should be paid for what you do!
Off Topic: just got offered a job, $10.50/hr plus bonuses for selling featured items, 40 hrs a week, full benefits including dental, paid vacation days, 401k, at FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's). Sound good?

I didn't make either video, and I don't know what happened to break the CoD2 video, but it's fixed now. Here's a link back to my post, for your convenience.

As for the job, I'd certainly take it, even if it means a lot less free time in exchange for a lot more money (and actual benefits!). Then again, I do feel a bit frustrated in that for all my technical expertise, nobody would be willing to hire me if there isn't some sort of A+ certification attached, which I haven't bothered to pursue just yet.

The treble from the BF2 demonstration video's test tones doesn't hurt my ears at all, and Stax Lambdas have a reputation for being bright, especially if that's what's in the source to begin with. Then again, maybe it's just because I can't really hear past 15-16 KHz. (Seriously, for all this pursuing high-end electrostatic audiophile gear, I'll have to face the hard reality that the real bottleneck in my audio systems are the two imperfect ears in my head.)

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #8,666 of 48,562
That cod video sounded decent, but rear cues are still lacking to me, as in non-existent. Front and sides are good though.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #8,667 of 48,562
Quote:
Just got a replacement pair of the new A40s...Good news! They no longer cut out when the cord gets tugged to the side! Guess I got a faulty pair. I'm fairly happy with them. They don't blow my mind with the quality of them, though. It wasn't anything like my first listening experience with my M50s :D

I also noticed the Mixamp produces a lot of hiss if you push the volume past 60%. I'm guessing this is normal? I don't have much experience with the old Mixamp. It sounds a lot like my Turtle Beach hiss, but not quite as loud. You don't hear it once you get into the action. 

I'll probably end up returning these. Most people praise these for their comfort, but they just don't sit well on my head. The earpads are itchy to me, which is a huge annoyance. I also really don't like the headband. It's comfortable, but when you rest the around your neck, their giant plastic wings will jab into me. For some reason, Astro seems to really like sharp edges. 

I might see if I can sell just the headsets for a decent price, and keep the Mixamp. 

Also, really excited for Audio Technica's refreshed AIR series. I'm worried about the headband though. I've heard they don't fit well with small heads, and every pair of headphones I've worn, I have to make them as small as possible to make them fit. But they look SICKKKK.

That's a real bummer about the Mixamp hiss. As others have stated and that I can also report, there is no hiss on my 2009 Astro Mixamp. There is a very slight "hum" if the audio is cranked all the way, and it's even more noticeable if you turn the mixer all the way over to "GAME". I was looking to upgrade in the near future to the 2013 Mixamp, but the hiss might be a deal-breaker. I played with the 2013 Astro A40 + Mixamp combo at the Best Buy in-store display, and I noticed the quality of materials used in the A40s are not what they used to be. I have the 2009 A40s, and they are truly one of the most comfortable headphones/sets I've tried. They clamp well enough to not fall off of your head, but light enough that they truly disappear during lengthy listening sessions.

As far as a Mixamp, I feel an urgency to purchase the pre-2013 Mixamp Pro off eBay before they go extinct. The main functionality I'd like over the 2009 Mixamp is the voice chat over USB. The 2009 Mixamp doesn't offer this. The build quality is also much better on the Mixamp Pro versus the version I have.

Is the pre-2013 Mixamp Pro the way to go? Should I take a plunge on the monoprice Dolby Headphone unit I've seen mentioned in the past few pages? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #8,668 of 48,562
I was searching around on eBay and found this auction for the Mixamp Pro. Does this look legit? Or is this some sort of knock-off version? One of the pictures shows the back of the unit, and the little door/flap is missing for the toslink input. Others have mentioned that this piece is prone to breakage, but the seller claims these units are new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Astro-A40-Gaming-MixAmp-Pro-Only-without-cables-and-headset-/120997609987?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1c2c050203

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #8,669 of 48,562
I've looked at that auction before and passed on it. The units come from china with no cables. Buying that and adding on the cost of cables brings it very very close to actual retail price. I would look around some more for a used unit on either ebay or craigslist that comes with the cables. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #8,670 of 48,562
Quote:
I've looked at that auction before and passed on it. The units come from china with no cables. Buying that and adding on the cost of cables brings it very very close to actual retail price. I would look around some more for a used unit on either ebay or craigslist that comes with the cables. 

I don't need the cables since the 2009 Astro Mixamp came with everything I need. If these units are in fact new, I'd rather get a bare bones new version than take my chances with a used one.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back