Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #8,641 of 48,568
The HD201 and the soundstage won't be as big. Also, the HD201 is a torture device after a few minutes. It's pretty uncomfortable. Those pads are horrible. They do have a nice balanced, warmish sound though for $20. I'll take the KSC75 over the HD201 though.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #8,642 of 48,568
Quote:
Yeah, it's usually where they keep the super expensive TVs and projectors, etc. Almost every BB I've seen has the Magnolia section on back wall, right corner. I had a a geekasm when I saw these and the 90" TV they had... makes my 65" look puny. =/

Oh snap, I might have to mingle my way on back there some time soon! I wish I'd known about that sooner :[

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #8,643 of 48,568
Quote:
The DT770 Pro 80s are bass and treble centric cans. The mids are what's sucked out. They also are very sloppy without amping. They're easy to drive in that they get loud easily, but an amp is needed to control that bass a bit. I haven't tried them yet, but I'd seriously consider the Brainwavz HM5 and look for the velours (probably have to order them from the Fischer Audio FA-003 (same headphones).

Also, I'd look into the Custom Pro Ones which are the little brother of the DT770s (same size and all, but newer, no real need to amp aside from the Mixamp, and have a tuning systems that lets you tweak the bass... it looks VERY interesting). You'd have to order the 770 velours for it though.

I tend to recommend older headphones, but there is a lot of new stuff that could be awesome for gaming. The HM5 and COP could be ideal.

Thanks for the reply. I was just about set to pull the trigger on the HM5 until I noticed it had cords coming out of both ears (not sure how I missed that the first time around). That leaves me back with the DT770s or Custom Pro Ones. While looking for another more neutral set, I kept coming back to the SRH840s. Does anyone have experience with the SQ and soundstage for these as they'd pertain to gaming? Again, thanks!

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #8,644 of 48,568
Well, it HAS to take Dolby Digital 5.1 into the input, because that's all that most consoles will output.  That doesn't mean "Dolby Headphone" is coming out the other end.  If it was using Dolby Headphone, there would definitely be some logos of it on there.

Someone posted a long time ago the name of the DSP it uses.  It's in this thread somewhere...

Yes that does not mean its Dolby headphone but I never said it was either lol.

That post awhile back was me I posted the dsp that's inside of the dss2..

Not that it matters but that dsp is capable of doing far more technologies in terms of virtual surround sound including Dolby headphone 1,2 and a vast abundance more but it just does Dolby digital. Also not that any of us could actually take advantage of its cababilities that are not implemented into that device either.

In terms of what's better the mixamp or dss, dss2, recon3D or whatever else is out there in the market pretty much it comes down to what your ears tell you sounds best.. I sold my mixamp some time ago in favor of the dss2 but in no way would i claim its better than dolby headphone, thx or any other virtual tech That's out there..

I picked dss2 over the mixamp because it, TO ME does rear positioning alil better than the 2011 mixamp version that I had..

The dss2 with all of it's negative feedback i happen to like over the mixamp. With that being said it all comes down to PERSONAL perception wether it's imagined or real to me or the next guy...

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8,645 of 48,568
Quote:
With that being said it all comes down to PERSONAL perception wether it's imagined or real to me or the next guy...

Spoken like a prophet man! Everything in Audiophila is personal choice and preception! 

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #8,647 of 48,568
Don't ask and i won't tell.

Yeah i bought the HE400 twice, now i own a 2nd pair and a HD650. I see why all the 650 owners love the HD650  so much. Everything they say about it is true and it does games just as well as if not better than my HE400's my opinion of course..

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8,648 of 48,568
Quote:
Spoken like a prophet man! Everything in Audiophila is personal choice and preception! 

Thirded. Only your own ears will decide what sounds best to you.

Everyone here has already seen the back-and-forth between me and MLE on CMSS-3D Headphone's viability for PC gaming. I hear all the cues and it sounds very much 3D to me at its best, he thinks it's a crappy stereo upmix. Meanwhile, we both agree that Dolby Headphone is very effective at what it does, even if I think it falls short compared to any game with proper 3D positional audio that CMSS-3D Headphone, Rapture3D, Aureal A3D, etc. can leverage the positional data of to offer more than a virtual 7.1 speaker system's worth of imaging.

I thought before that pretty much all binaural mixing tech based on generic/human population average HRTFs like CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, THX TruStudio Surround, whatever the DSS2 uses, Silent Cinema, etc. would either all work for a given person or not at all, but that's clearly not the case here.

This also extends to headphones, sound signature preferences, etc. People are looking for different things in headphones, and if you're looking for headphone recommendations, it's best to know the preferences of those giving you recommendations so that you get an idea of whether or not what they like is also what you like.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #8,649 of 48,568
I just discovered they sell the Fiio E09K + E17 as a bundle on amazon. Price is € 225 for both, if you buy them seperately it´s like 135 for the E17 and 145 for the E09K. 
Provided it´s really the E09K (in the description they talk about the E9 and not 9k) would you say that is a good deal and worth it? thanks

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #8,650 of 48,568
I love the E17 and E9K. Really clean sound, energetic sound. The E9K is pretty neutral sounding, and quick. The E9K works best with 80ohm and higher. The E9K is dry sounding, preserving clarity all the way up to the treble range. Not the fullest sounding amp I've heard, but its fantastic for the price.

The E17 is lovely. Great DAC, bass and treble controls, and portability if you need an amp on the go. Can't go wrong here. I regret selling it, really.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #8,651 of 48,568
I guess I could use the E9K to dirve the Beyer 990 pro and the E17 to get the treble down a bit then... that would be great!

How would that work connection wise with the mixamp pro that is connected to my xbox/TV/blu ray via coax or optical? thanks!

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #8,652 of 48,568
Hmm, actually, I'm not sure the E17 docked to the E9K will be able to use the E17's bass and treble controls for a device plugged into the RCA input, as you have to manually switch the E9K's switch from dock to AUX IN, meaning it no longer takes in the E17's current signal.

If it's the bass/treble control is important for Mixamp gaming, you COULD just plug in from your Mixamp to the E17's Aux in, and then from the E17's headphone jack to the E9K's aux in. This sounds like it's triple amped, and it is. HOWEVER, the E17/E9K uses both amps ANYWAYS when you try to use the E17's bass/treble controls (by switching from the E17's bypass button to go to pre-amp mode). Even if it was docked, you'd still be using both the E17 and E9K's amping... not to mention the Mixamp's. The only difference here is that the E17 can't be docked when you're using the Mixamp. Dock it when you're NOT gaming.

So for you...

Mixamp - E17 - 3.5mm to RCA cable - E9K's Aux In

IF you don't need the bass/treble control when gaming, you can just leave the E17 docked, as you won't be using it at all.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #8,653 of 48,568
Just got my Galaxy Note II! My ODAC comes in a little later. Christmas came early! Lol... however, I have to cancel the Wii U purchase. :frowning2:

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #8,654 of 48,568
Quote:
The E17 is lovely. Great DAC, bass and treble controls, and portability if you need an amp on the go. Can't go wrong here. I regret selling it, really.

Indeed I want one for my Phone! As I like'd a Seperate DAC and AMP for at home use with 300ohm+ cans

Still though I do want one to use with mah phone as well as with these terribad school pcs :3

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #8,655 of 48,568
Quote:
Just got my Galaxy Note II! My ODAC comes in a little later. Christmas came early! Lol... however, I have to cancel the Wii U purchase.
frown.gif

Ohh man I would love to get my hands on Note II, unfortunately I'm only half way through my contract with Verizon. I really can't complain about my Galaxy Nexus it has been a really good phone except for maybe the battery life, kind of inevitable with a smart phone. Maybe I'll see what I can get for my GN when/if Verizon announces their release date and price (off contract) for the Note II. 

I would love to hear your impressions of the music capabilities of the Note II, I have no idea what audio chipset it has. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back