Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #5,806 of 48,562
Speaking of the deeper side of bass...

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBBETgrBeDc&feature=player_embedded#![/VIDEO]

When the bass kicks in at 1:11.... MY GOD. Words can't describe how it sounds with the D7000....

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #5,807 of 48,562
Hi everyone, I just received my hd598, and I was wondering a few things, I lurked a bit and due to my newness to this hobby I'm a bit lost still, I'm also quite slow on taking decisions usually so I definitely thought I'd ask this time around before staying months without taking a decision:

I'm an avid gamer but not of fps, mostly mmos/rts/moba/old games, and I love music, I was kinda used on having crappy headsets like the 7h usb from steelseries (which by the way is probably the worst thing ever made, broke twice in less than 2 months, and I treat my headphones better than myself, had an old creative pair hold up for 6 years living through a damn earthquake with things falling on them so yeah -_-) so I'm now a bit confused on how to get the best out of the hd 598.

I have an old x-fi soundcard but had a lot of issues with my old pc, mainly it went into conflict with my ati video card, and is now sitting besides me.It's an xtrememusic, which I believe it was a bad deal at the time and is now old and generally crappy, so now I'm thinking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I should buy a new x-fi titanium for gaming, or go for an asus STX and not bother with creative drivers anymore.I'm running w7 64bit so I'm worried there might be issues, and I've been told the stx is generally a better product.I was also thinking on getting a fiio e17 to supplement it, but I'm totally new to external amp/dacs and generally new to being an audiophile.

I read many topics about stx vs x-fi and read many topics about the fiio dacs but still I don't get if it'd be worth to buy them together.Bear in mind I'm a lot sensitive about volume and usually can't bear to go past 50% on windows with a realtek card(motherboard is some gaming thing, should be an Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev3.0 Socket 1155 Intel P67 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX, not sure what realtek it builds, but for today is good enough).I was even tempted to try the usb connector of the 7h since the audio is really not that great I think with my setup...Also I've got a lot of bad mp3 but that is another issue, plus the headphones need some burn-in still.

I still got time also to get it back to amazon after trying it with a soundcard and/or dac/amp since I should have between 10-30 days to send it back, so if I get some suggestions I could use a 1day shipping and try out the setup before committing 100%.I had considered a q701 but it costs 2x the price of the hd 598 so yeah...I'd consider doing the change only if the sound wasn't really satisfying after some tweaks :)

I'm gonna keep lurking around so maybe I can find some answers but some help would be awesome since I'm confused on some of the technical parts still...

edit: forgot a detail, a portable dac/amp could help with my ipod, got an old video one with like 80gb of space, and I love to use it, I just hate the terrible sound quality it has usually...still haven't tried with some serious headphones though.Maybe these opens aren't the best idea but still, would be an investment for the future!

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #5,808 of 48,562
Quote:
What I mean is the Mids are so powerful in my case. (This won't be everyone's) I find the Mids to overpower everything. Hence why they are so beautiful with female vocalists and liquid drum and bass.
For my ears they were anything but balanced. But again different sources, and ears all that jazz. 

I am just one of those people that finds mid range overpowering in a lot of cases. Hence why the DT990pro is painful to most due to the treble range and I find them to be almost the perfect headphone. Seems all I seem to own and enjoy are brighter headphones. KSC75/DT/SuperluxHD668B. Which is a shame really.

I think if you find the HD598 smooth and balanced you should definitely give them another shot with a place with a great return policy. Or save up the extra you might need for the Q701. This is the same reason I want to try the Q701 so badly that I might just bite the bullet and order them so I can compare them directly with my HD598s before they sell. If I dislike them I can always just return them or sell them super quickly online I am sure.

MLE I wonder if you take a quick moment out and tell me what this song sounds like on your Q701s and Denon D7000. James Blake - Limit to your love. My Beyers love this track. The HD598 I found lacking and boring for the most part. I would really appreciate it. 

I have a Q701+Xonar STX combo and in the bass drop section I could hear and feel the sub bass. But vocals still had more emphasis than bass. The instrumental section sounded great.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #5,810 of 48,562
Quote:
Hi everyone, I just received my hd598, and I was wondering a few things, I lurked a bit and due to my newness to this hobby I'm a bit lost still, I'm also quite slow on taking decisions usually so I definitely thought I'd ask this time around before staying months without taking a decision:
I'm an avid gamer but not of fps, mostly mmos/rts/moba/old games, and I love music, I was kinda used on having crappy headsets like the 7h usb from steelseries (which by the way is probably the worst thing ever made, broke twice in less than 2 months, and I treat my headphones better than myself, had an old creative pair hold up for 6 years living through a damn earthquake with things falling on them so yeah -_-) so I'm now a bit confused on how to get the best out of the hd 598.
I have an old x-fi soundcard but had a lot of issues with my old pc, mainly it went into conflict with my ati video card, and is now sitting besides me.It's an xtrememusic, which I believe it was a bad deal at the time and is now old and generally crappy, so now I'm thinking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I should buy a new x-fi titanium for gaming, or go for an asus STX and not bother with creative drivers anymore.I'm running w7 64bit so I'm worried there might be issues, and I've been told the stx is generally a better product.I was also thinking on getting a fiio e17 to supplement it, but I'm totally new to external amp/dacs and generally new to being an audiophile.
I read many topics about stx vs x-fi and read many topics about the fiio dacs but still I don't get if it'd be worth to buy them together.Bear in mind I'm a lot sensitive about volume and usually can't bear to go past 50% on windows with a realtek card(motherboard is some gaming thing, should be an Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev3.0 Socket 1155 Intel P67 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX, not sure what realtek it builds, but for today is good enough).I was even tempted to try the usb connector of the 7h since the audio is really not that great I think with my setup...Also I've got a lot of bad mp3 but that is another issue, plus the headphones need some burn-in still.
I still got time also to get it back to amazon after trying it with a soundcard and/or dac/amp since I should have between 10-30 days to send it back, so if I get some suggestions I could use a 1day shipping and try out the setup before committing 100%.I had considered a q701 but it costs 2x the price of the hd 598 so yeah...I'd consider doing the change only if the sound wasn't really satisfying after some tweaks :)
I'm gonna keep lurking around so maybe I can find some answers but some help would be awesome since I'm confused on some of the technical parts still...
edit: forgot a detail, a portable dac/amp could help with my ipod, got an old video one with like 80gb of space, and I love to use it, I just hate the terrible sound quality it has usually...still haven't tried with some serious headphones though.Maybe these opens aren't the best idea but still, would be an investment for the future!

As you can not cheaply (HRT $150) hook an external DAC to an iPod. better just to get a amplifier only, like the Fiio E11.
I'm an Xonar fan, but I can't argue with using a Titanium HD for gaming.
If you were using headphones that are 250-Ohm or higher, the Essence STX would be better.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #5,812 of 48,562
Quote:
Hi!

I have no soundcard so which headphoens would work best without soundcard and amp.
I demand positional audio since they are used purely for playing games on PC.

Samson SR850 semi-open headphone.
The Asus Xonar DG (& DGX) is a low cost but decent sound card.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #5,813 of 48,562
Hello and thank for recommendation.

However I am planning to buy headphones from Finland and afaik you can't really find Samsons from Finland unfortunately.

However I have thought about buying one of these

Sennheiser 518 or 558
AD700
PC 360

I just don't know if they are worth it because I got no soundcard. Also I would like to have more information about 518s how they perform in games.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #5,814 of 48,562
Quote:
Hello and thank for recommendation.

However I am planning to buy headphones from Finland and afaik you can't really find Samsons from Finland unfortunately.

However I have thought about buying one of these

Sennheiser 518 or 558
AD700
PC 360

I just don't know if they are worth it because I got no soundcard. Also I would like to have more information about 518s how they perform in games.

Are Superlux available in Finland? If they are you could snag the HD668B. Same exact headphone as the Samson. Just a slightly higher ohm but nothing to worry about.

Also since you are up that way you could look for Fischer Audio FA-011. You can get them from Frogbeats out of the UK and Fischer Audio website which is down at the moment. I have read they sound similar to the HD668B and Beyerdynamic DT990.

Are you playing competitively or casual and what style of game. FPS / MMO / RTS? Might be able to help you further.

Of your choices none are bad as you probably have read. Though the AD700 has a lot of complaints about being very bass light.

With every headphone purchase though research research research then PLUNGE in. Cause you will drive yourself to a near stroke with to much research. Honestly you don't even know what you are looking for until you buy your first or second pair and even after that you will still be scratching your head going "Is this right for me?". I know that is where I am still at after 6 purchases but I could be slightly insane too.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5,815 of 48,562
Thanks for helping me out.
I am playing FPS competitive. I can't see why you would need good pair of phones in RTS or MMO anyways.
So super positioning, being able to hear enemies footsteps, gun sounds, reloading sounds and knowing where the enemy is, is the most important factor.
I play games like CS/CSS, W:ET(Quake engine, openGL), QL, COD4 and then some others, I play pretty many games hah :D.

Finland stock is really poor. We got no Superlux or fischer. To list, good/decent headphone brands in Finland are Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Koss, Pioneer. (Then of course bigger brands like Sony etc.) And the selection from those isn't really big and they are usually pretty expensive.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #5,816 of 48,562
Quote:

With every headphone purchase though research research research then PLUNGE in. Cause you will drive yourself to a near stroke with to much research. Honestly you don't even know what you are looking for until you buy your first or second pair and even after that you will still be scratching your head going "Is this right for me?". I know that is where I am still at after 6 purchases but I could be slightly insane too.

You're not insane. I think this is what happens to everyone.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #5,817 of 48,562
Quote:
Quote:

You're not insane. I think this is what happens to everyone.

For me it's now more like plunging into quicksand.  The more you struggle/resist, the more you end up sinking ($$$).

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5,818 of 48,562
Quote:
Thanks for helping me out.
I am playing FPS competitive. I can't see why you would need good pair of phones in RTS or MMO anyways.
So super positioning, being able to hear enemies footsteps, gun sounds, reloading sounds and knowing where the enemy is, is the most important factor.
I play games like CS/CSS, W:ET(Quake engine, openGL), QL, COD4 and then some others, I play pretty many games hah :D.

Finland stock is really poor. We got no Superlux or fischer. To list, good/decent headphone brands in Finland are Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Koss, Pioneer. (Then of course bigger brands like Sony etc.) And the selection from those isn't really big and they are usually pretty expensive.

Can't just order Superlux from Thomann?
What would the import fee be?

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,820 of 48,562
Quote:
When the bass kicks in at 1:11.... MY GOD. Words can't describe how it sounds with the D7000....

I heard the TH900 on Saturday.

It was calling your name MLE....

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back