Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5,776 of 48,568
Quote:
IDK where your getting your prices but I've seen that they are the same price....

$239
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT990Pro/

$239
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339883148&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+q701  

Europe. Beyer DT 990 pro is around € 150, the AKG Q701 around € 300!

The differences in price are just amazing!

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #5,778 of 48,568
Quote:
Europe. Beyer DT 990 pro is around € 150, the AKG Q701 around € 300!

The differences in price are just amazing!

Ah in that case I'd rather go for the cheaper.  

Do you have any links to these pages?

On a side note, my antlion boom mic came in a few days early!  I put it on and now use it for gaming and at first I felt like I could get lost in the sound stage.  I'm not exaggerating either.  Compared to the pc360 the sound stage is phenomenal!  I can hear everything in all directions!  I can also take off the mic when I just want to movies!  I'm uber satisfied with this purchase.  
basshead.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5,779 of 48,568
So my sennheiser HD 598 arrived. I quickly put on the antlion micmod and paired it with the astro mixamp pro. These sound ALOT different than the 2011 Astro A40. There is much less bass. For positional awareness and pinpoint accuracy of enemys I believe they are close. MAYBE, the senns can pick up enemys from further away but the Astros were damn good at enemy pinpointing. I use sitrep pro on search and destroy MW3.

OVerall, not sure if worth "upgrade" from purely soundwhoring perspective. THough, I liked how they did with music but I can tell right away they need an amp. Ya its loud without amp but not really. Im thinking they are clearer than my astros but my astros were decent enough with music. ANyway, I have a badass 5.1 home theater if I need to do serious jamin.

For me, its worth it cause Ill have a nice set of headphone with detachable mic I can travel with or atleast take with me where I go...

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #5,780 of 48,568
Quote:
So my sennheiser HD 598 arrived. I quickly put on the antlion micmod and paired it with the astro mixamp pro. These sound ALOT different than the 2011 Astro A40. There is much less bass. For positional awareness and pinpoint accuracy of enemys I believe they are close. MAYBE, the senns can pick up enemys from further away but the Astros were damn good at enemy pinpointing. I use sitrep pro on search and destroy MW3.

OVerall, not sure if worth "upgrade" from purely soundwhoring perspective. THough, I liked how they did with music but I can tell right away they need an amp. Ya its loud without amp but not really. Im thinking they are clearer than my astros but my astros were decent enough with music. ANyway, I have a badass 5.1 home theater if I need to do serious jamin.

For me, its worth it cause Ill have a nice set of headphone with detachable mic I can travel with or atleast take with me where I go...

2.1>5.1 or 7.1 for music.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5,781 of 48,568
Quote:

On a side note, my antlion boom mic came in a few days early!  I put it on and now use it for gaming and at first I felt like I could get lost in the sound stage.  I'm not exaggerating either.  Compared to the pc360 the sound stage is phenomenal!  I can hear everything in all directions!  I can also take off the mic when I just want to movies!  I'm uber satisfied with this purchase.  
basshead.gif

which HP did you go with? Q701?

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #5,783 of 48,568
Quote:

basshead.gif

I was just looking it up on amazon. uk, de, it... pick your poison :wink:

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #5,785 of 48,568
They are polar opposites in any case. The DT990 pro is a whole lot of bass and fun. The Q701 is very balanced all around. They both serve a different purpose. I'm inclined to say that having both would fulfill all needs from music, movies, gaming, fun, competitive, etc.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #5,786 of 48,568
Quote:
They are polar opposites in any case. The DT990 pro is a whole lot of bass and fun. The Q701 is very balanced all around. They both serve a different purpose. I'm inclined to say that having both would fulfill all needs from music, movies, gaming, fun, competitive, etc.

I am thinking of getting a Sennheiser HD 598 for a balanced all around HP, especially music and TV. You think that would be a good choice as well to go along with my 990 pro (for movies, gaming).
I had it for a couple of months and was very pleased with it´s overall performance. But then again, I´ve not tried many headphones.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5,787 of 48,568
Quote:
I am thinking of getting a Sennheiser HD 598 for a balanced all around HP, especially music and TV. You think that would be a good choice as well to go along with my 990 pro (for movies, gaming).
I had it for a couple of months and was very pleased with it´s overall performance. But then again, I´ve not tried many headphones.

I have both I00I.

I have tested both extensively, The HD598s are sitting here in there box as we speak as I am trying to sell them.

This is completely my opinion.
For female vocal music(Colbie Calliat, Adele), soundtracks (LOTR) the HD598 are brilliant. For comfort they are amazing you get to a point where you don't even realize they are on. For movies they are great fun because they have that huge soundstage. They sound more like speakers then headphones if that makes any sense. For me personally they are just way to mid forward. I found them incredibly painful after a couple of hours sound wise cause the mids are so forward. The quantity of bass killed it for me also. It is there but just hiding. Like saying you are going swimming but you end up just wading in the shallow end all day.

For me the DT990pros are way better. The soundstage isn't as big but feels more 3-D. The clarity is just as good as the HD598s, but the mid are recessed. As you know they are heavier on bass and treble. Which for my ears is much more relaxing. I am one of those people that actually found the Superlux HD668Bs perfect not to bright in the high freq range. Yes I am an odd person. DT990pros are comfortable enough but no where near the comfort region of the HD598s.

The HD598 are literally the polar opposite of the DT990pros. I love them both, hence why I want to try a Q701 if the mids are toned down a bit from the HD598. If they are not then that puts other headphones in it's place to try next. But I would love to have a massive soundstage with nice mids to match. Have also looked at the HD600 and HD650 but I am not to sure they have the soundstage I am looking for.

Honestly I should just be saving all the money I have for T1s or D7000s. But I just can't help but try new toys that interest me.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #5,788 of 48,568
Quote:
I have both I00I.

I have tested both extensively, The HD598s are sitting here in there box as we speak as I am trying to sell them.

This is completely my opinion.
For female vocal music(Colbie Calliat, Adele), soundtracks (LOTR) the HD598 are brilliant. For comfort they are amazing you get to a point where you don't even realize they are on. For movies they are great fun because they have that huge soundstage. They sound more like speakers then headphones if that makes any sense. For me personally they are just way to mid forward. I found them incredibly painful after a couple of hours sound wise cause the mids are so forward. The quantity of bass killed it for me also. It is there but just hiding. Like saying you are going swimming but you end up just wading in the shallow end all day.

For me the DT990pros are way better. The soundstage isn't as big but feels more 3-D. The clarity is just as good as the HD598s, but the mid are recessed. As you know they are heavier on bass and treble. Which for my ears is much more relaxing. I am one of those people that actually found the Superlux HD668Bs perfect not to bright in the high freq range. Yes I am an odd person. DT990pros are comfortable enough but no where near the comfort region of the HD598s.

The HD598 are literally the polar opposite of the DT990pros. I love them both, hence why I want to try a Q701 if the mids are toned down a bit from the HD598. If they are not then that puts other headphones in it's place to try next. But I would love to have a massive soundstage with nice mids to match. Have also looked at the HD600 and HD650 but I am not to sure they have the soundstage I am looking for.

Honestly I should just be saving all the money I have for T1s or D7000s. But I just can't help but try new toys that interest me.

Very interesting.
I have to admit that I can´t exactly tell how the 598s sounded, all I can remember is that they soundes very, very good to my ears, at least at that time.
Comfort is great for me on both, so no problems there. 

What do you mean that the 598 sound "way to mid forward"? And you also think they lack in bass?

My problem with the DT 990 pro is that they sound just great for gaming and movies, but for music the treble is just too much. I don´t like the scratching highs and from what I remember the 598s were smoother and more balanced and hence better for music and tv. Especially watching TV is no fun with the 990 pro.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #5,789 of 48,568
The HD598 is like the Q701 but even more mids, and less refinement. The Q701 is more balanced. No doubt for me, the Q701 is better.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #5,790 of 48,568
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a great deal. Refurbished Turtle beach x11 + dss 45 shipped. www.1saleaday.com/?CID=168142&AFID=178621 Its for xbox but wuth this it will work on ps3 www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJ9RN7Q8J892C&colid=3GLFI6JTPAF Super cheap dolby headphone starter set. May not be the best sounding headphone but its a great way to start out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back