Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #5,761 of 48,581
Quote:
From what I know the PC360 is the second best headset you can get, after the Beyerdynamic. If it is worth the pricetag, that´s a question only you can decide for yourself, but it surely is a good headset and worth it´s price if you need a headset. 
If you don´t need an actual headset you can get a better deal. Buy a regular headphone (maybe Creative Aurvana Live if you are looking for a cheaper alternative) and get a clip on mic. 

As a gaming head set?  I haven't heard much praise for the Bayer game set.  Where did you get that its the best?

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #5,762 of 48,581
Quote:
From what I know the PC360 is the second best headset you can get, after the Beyerdynamic. If it is worth the pricetag, that´s a question only you can decide for yourself, but it surely is a good headset and worth it´s price if you need a headset. 
If you don´t need an actual headset you can get a better deal. Buy a regular headphone (maybe Creative Aurvana Live if you are looking for a cheaper alternative) and get a clip on mic. 

That's what I did! Just got my Q701s in the mail today with my Kontrol Freek mods and an Ant Lion mod mic. Still waiting on my O2 and Mix Amp.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #5,763 of 48,581
The PC360 is going to have a larger soundstage and airier sound than the MMX300.

The MMX300 is closed, but should offer some really great positioning, just like the DT770s. The problem is that you may get a bass heavy MMX300 or a bass light version, with no way to tell which, though I think the most recent ones have ben bass light, which is what you will truly want for a headset.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5,764 of 48,581
I hope I don't get eaten alive for this question, but...

I already own a AstroMix amp already, but I've only used it on my PS3/360 due to my PC lacking optical out. However, I just upgraded to a Z77 motherboard and now do have optical out, using the on board audio chip (7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio™).

So a few questions:

1. Would connecting my AstroAmp to the on-board sound work? I imagine the answer is, "no", since it doesn't support Dolby Live.

2. Is it then possible to use my existing XiFi (without sdif), route it through my onboard optical port, then through the mixamp?

3. Should I instead get a cheap sound card, like a Asus Xonar for $20, connect it to a AstroMixAmp and pay ~$100 for a decent pair of headphones?

4. Alternatively, how would those options stack up against getting a Logitech G35 or G930 which have DH built in?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #5,765 of 48,581
THX TruStudio is pretty much like Dolby Headphone, CMSS3D, and whatever else virtual surround sound for headphones out there. You won't need to have the mixamp connected at all to get a similar effect to DH. Just try it out for yourself and see how you like it compared to the mixamp, just make sure your settings are all correct.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #5,766 of 48,581
Quote:
As a gaming head set?  I haven't heard much praise for the Bayer game set.  Where did you get that its the best?

From what I picked up I thought this was the consensus.
In any case I think it´s fair to say the PC360 is a very good headset and worth the money. But there are cheaper alternatives that are of course not as comfortable. 

But isn´t the the PC360 headset similiar to some headphone Sennheiser offers? So, simply the headphone + mic.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #5,767 of 48,581
Quote:
From what I picked up I thought this was the consensus.
In any case I think it´s fair to say the PC360 is a very good headset and worth the money. But there are cheaper alternatives that are of course not as comfortable. 

But isn´t the the PC360 headset similiar to some headphone Sennheiser offers? So, simply the headphone + mic.

Ya the HD555 is pretty much the sound it has.  I went with the AKG Q701 and getting the antlion boom mic.  This thus far is the best gaming phone I have tried.  I have had the Astro A40's 2x, the sirbia gaming HP, tried the LCD-2rev2 for gaming, the HD555, and the PC360.    Thus far the AKG Q701 has the soundstage and neutral sound I prefer to play online games.  Unless another comes into the mix.  Other than that I have read that the Beyer game head set has a small soundstage.  But we are all looking for the perfect HP's for our choice.  IF you like the Beyer than you like it.  I just prefer the Q701 like a few others.  

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #5,768 of 48,581
Quote:
Ya the HD555 is pretty much the sound it has.  I went with the AKG Q701 and getting the antlion boom mic.  This thus far is the best gaming phone I have tried.  I have had the Astro A40's 2x, the sirbia gaming HP, tried the LCD-2rev2 for gaming, the HD555, and the PC360.    Thus far the AKG Q701 has the soundstage and neutral sound I prefer to play online games.  Unless another comes into the mix.  Other than that I have read that the Beyer game head set has a small soundstage.  But we are all looking for the perfect HP's for our choice.  IF you like the Beyer than you like it.  I just prefer the Q701 like a few others.  

Personally I have never tried the Beyer headset. But I got the DT 990 pro and am very satisfied.
AKG Q701 would have been no option for me since they are double the price of the 990 pro. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #5,769 of 48,581
Sorry to ask much, but to sum it up the AKG Q701 is the better option for gaming while (And for) listening to soft music? Or is there any headphone/headset better in that range. I really just want to get a great headphone/headset for one shot, and not buy anything again for 3-4 years. Thank you again.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5,770 of 48,581
Quote:
I hope I don't get eaten alive for this question, but...
I already own a AstroMix amp already, but I've only used it on my PS3/360 due to my PC lacking optical out. However, I just upgraded to a Z77 motherboard and now do have optical out, using the on board audio chip (7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio™).
So a few questions:
1. Would connecting my AstroAmp to the on-board sound work? I imagine the answer is, "no", since it doesn't support Dolby Live.
2. Is it then possible to use my existing XiFi (without sdif), route it through my onboard optical port, then through the mixamp?
3. Should I instead get a cheap sound card, like a Asus Xonar for $20, connect it to a AstroMixAmp and pay ~$100 for a decent pair of headphones?
4. Alternatively, how would those options stack up against getting a Logitech G35 or G930 which have DH built in?

What is the make and model of the Z77 motherboard?
The THX TruStudio itself might (maybe?) support pre-processed surround sound thru the optical port, which means you would plug in the Mix-amp and us it as a 2-channel headphone amplifier.
What headphones are you using?
The X-Fi should not be able to route thru the motherboard digital optical output.
With the Asus Xonar DG (or DGX), you would not even need to use the Mix-amp.
I'm not qualified to answer on the G35/G930 question.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #5,771 of 48,581
Quote:
Sorry to ask much, but to sum it up the AKG Q701 is the better option for gaming while (And for) listening to soft music? Or is there any headphone/headset better in that range.

What do you mean by "soft music?"

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5,773 of 48,581
Quote:

Wait, why would you even do this? The X-Fi card should already have an S/PDIF output...unless it's one of those early PCI models that require one of those Flexijack S/PDIF adapters, or the 5.25" front-panel bay.

And on top of that, if it was a proper X-Fi card, you'd already have CMSS-3D Headphone, no need for Dolby Headphone unless you want to make a comparison between the two for yourself. Then you'd just be using the Mixamp as a headphone amp (unless you really want to do the whole Dolby Digital Live -> Mixamp -> Dolby Headphone thing), and there are far better options for that.

I'm quite confused here...

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #5,774 of 48,581
IDK where your getting your prices but I've seen that they are the same price....

$239
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT990Pro/

$239
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339883148&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+q701  

Quote:
Personally I have never tried the Beyer headset. But I got the DT 990 pro and am very satisfied.
AKG Q701 would have been no option for me since they are double the price of the 990 pro. 

This is good for gaming and can for music but what genres are you planning to listen to?  
Quote:
Sorry to ask much, but to sum it up the AKG Q701 is the better option for gaming while (And for) listening to soft music? Or is there any headphone/headset better in that range. I really just want to get a great headphone/headset for one shot, and not buy anything again for 3-4 years. Thank you again.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5,775 of 48,581
Quote:
Acoustic, Folk-rock, Rock, Jazz, Pop seems to be the type of music I'm trying to explain. I'm sorry I'm a total newbie at this, but I'll try to be more clear next time.

Thank you in advance.

Well, they're great for instrumental music: acoustic, jazz, soundtracks, classical.  Also some electronic genres. 

Maybe less so for Rock and Pop, but I don't really listen to those so I can't comment on it.  They're pretty well rounded though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back