Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5,746 of 48,579
Quote:
The AX720 is more powerful than the Mixamp by a smidge, so yes. Not sure if the E6 will add any beneficial amounts of power as its a very weak amp. The E11 would've been a safer choice. The E5 and E6 I believe share the same power, and the E5 didn't even add an appreciable amount of volume to the Mixamp. People should realize that the difference between a few decibels in volume is quite a bit of power. Not sure how the math is, but I think in some instances, just a few decibels needs twice the power. The E5 barely made a difference when I added it to the Mixamp and trying to power harder to drive cans.
Ironically, I loved the K701 and E5 with bass boost on, though the sound was anything but K701-like.

For me the E6 added enough power to the mixamp pro to experience a noticeable difference. Without the E6 I feel like the mixamp is not really loud enough in some situations (depending on the source material I guess) but with the E6 I never run out of volume. So for me that combo works very well.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #5,747 of 48,579
Quote:

I'm not sure.  If you have another one I would try it though.  I thought when encoded signals aren't decoded correctly you can hear digital noise. 
confused.gif

If it's digital noise it's probably in the cable or decoder box I'm guessing.

It might normally be just above the SNR threshold and some movement causes the noise.  You could check by just pulling it out and seeing how bright the glow is.  

I could also imagine it being the DAC or the DSP overheating.   

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5,749 of 48,579
Pretty much the same opinion I have of them. Sub bass is lacking in presence, and mid bass is a bit stronger. Like you stated, sub bass is still there, and not missing, like in the AD700.

When you bass boost the 701s (even the K701), sub bass is damn good. So the 701s could be tweaked by AKG and make a pretty serious bassy can if they wanted.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #5,750 of 48,579
Quote:
Pretty much the same opinion I have of them. Sub bass is lacking in presence, and mid bass is a bit stronger. Like you stated, sub bass is still there, and not missing, like in the AD700.
When you bass boost the 701s (even the K701), sub bass is damn good. So the 701s could be tweaked by AKG and make a pretty serious bassy can if they wanted.

I wish... I have read that the AKG k340s have subwoofer bass in them.  Idk if they would be similar to the Q701's sound stage.  I highly doubt they do because they are IEM's.... 
confused_face.gif

Side note, I'm watching the TV show "Heroes" while using my Lavry Da11 and I'm really enjoying this.  Spacious, and sounds just "right"... I tried to compare the PC360 to it and the sound stage is so much larger.  I'm very happy with this purchase.  What kind of changes should I expect?  

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5,751 of 48,579
Quote:

I'm really happy with the Q701's bass considering all their nice open qualities and sweet soundstage.  Their bass blew me away when I first heard them,  as I was expecting to hear something more like "AD700 + Bass boost" when I got them.  Q701s don't break much of a sweat giving some subtle rumbling effects, while AD700s couldn't rumble if their life depended on it and you raped them with bass boost. 

Quote:
 I'm very happy with this purchase.  What kind of changes should I expect?  

Your talking about the Q701s right?  Expect them to completely change after 49 and a half hours.  The difference is night-and-day.  If you think they sound like garbage still, wait until after 490 hours...
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, I don't think they change much.  Probably "ear pad burn-in" more than anything else.  I know nothing about the Lavry DA11 your using, but going of a picture of it, it looks expensive and hopefully sounds expensive
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5,752 of 48,579
Quote:

I'm really happy with the Q701's bass considering all their nice open qualities and sweet soundstage.  Their bass blew me away when I first heard them,  as I was expecting to hear something more like "AD700 + Bass boost" when I got them.  Q701s don't break much of a sweat giving some subtle rumbling effects, while AD700s couldn't rumble if their life depended on it and you raped them with bass boost. 

Your talking about the Q701s right?  Expect them to completely change after 49 and a half hours.  The difference is night-and-day.  If you think they sound like garbage still, wait until after 490 hours...
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, I don't think they change much.  Probably "ear pad burn-in" more than anything else.  I know nothing about the Lavry DA11 your using, but going of a picture of it, it looks expensive and hopefully sounds expensive
smile.gif

Oh no I don't think it sounds like garbage at all.  I like it.  I just tried it with the mix amp playing some MW3 with a perk that allows me to hear all footsteps of the other team even with perks that quiet their foot steps but the sound stage blew me away.  I felt a little uneasy with it at first but got used to it.  
Oh the Lavry Da11 is very transparent and shows how badly the recording is.  I use optic out and everything sounds just "right".  Sounds pretty realistic.  

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #5,753 of 48,579
Quote:
Oh no I don't think it sounds like garbage at all.  I like it.

I know, I was being sarcastic. 

I've have read posts from other Head-fiers who've said the same thing about K70x, but actually meant it.  Like "....they sucked, but after x hours they completely changed and are now awesome sauce." 
confused_face.gif

Sure.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #5,754 of 48,579
I'm glad you like them. They aren't what I usually like for music, but when I use them, I can't help but to enjoy them.

While the K701 didn't sound natural whatsoever, the Q701 is one of the most natural sounding headphones I've heard. If not the most natural.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5,755 of 48,579
Quote:
I'm glad you like them. They aren't what I usually like for music, but when I use them, I can't help but to enjoy them.
While the K701 didn't sound natural whatsoever, the Q701 is one of the most natural sounding headphones I've heard. If not the most natural.

Ya I like them so far.  I know with burn in the sound changes a little or can change a lot.  But so far I like it.  

Quote:

I know, I was being sarcastic. 

I've have read posts from other Head-fiers who've said the same thing about K70x, but actually meant it.  Like "....they sucked, but after x hours they completely changed and are now awesome sauce." 
confused_face.gif

Sure.

Ah I see.  I'm guessing that I'll like them more as they burn in more.  

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #5,756 of 48,579
In case somebody is interested in this as well:
I was going back and forth on my bluy ray player with the mixamp pro (dolby headphone on), switching between an actual Dolby Digal 5.1 audio signal and one that was given out by my blu ray player without the multi channel function (PCM).
I tried a DVD (Scarface) and a blu ray (Star Wars Episode II) and in both cases I felt that the difference between the "true" DD signal and the other one mainly was that the one without DD lacked in terms of bass and power. It just sounds thinner through the mixamp (with DH on) if you give out a PCM-signal (or whatever the correct term is) compared to an actual DD signal.
What I did however was to increase the volume and set my Fiio E6 to the blue light, so that it would get a slight bass boost. This gave the PCM-signal more power and came closer to the actual DD signal. 
I also felt like the PCM-signal had a bit less directionality than the true DD signal, but not by that much or at least I was not able to really hear a big difference. 

So what I will do - at least for the time being - when watching movies that have no DD track, is to turn on DH and give it a lil more bass and volume. imho that sounds better than pure stereo (DH off) because you still get a lot of the surround feeling through the activated DH.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5,757 of 48,579
Sennheiser PC360 G4ME

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I'm in some need of help deciding.

I've been looking to buy it for a substantial amount of time, however for me this thing is really expensive and I would like to see people's opinion on it. I've read many reviews on this headset (Including the one on this thread), and it seems to have an overall great score. So before I buy it I would love to know:

Is it worth the money?

Is it good for soft music played alongside with FPS games?

Is there a headset/headphone better at the price range that would work for me better? (If there is I would maybe change my mind)

Thank you in advance, any help is much appreciated :)!

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5,758 of 48,579
Quote:
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I'm in some need of help deciding.

I've been looking to buy it for a substantial amount of time, however for me this thing is really expensive and I would like to see people's opinion on it. I've read many reviews on this headset (Including the one on this thread), and it seems to have an overall great score. So before I buy it I would love to know:

Is it worth the money?

Is it good for soft music played alongside with FPS games?

Is there a headset/headphone better at the price range that would work for me better? (If there is I would maybe change my mind)

Thank you in advance, any help is much appreciated :)!

I may have missed something, but which headset?

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #5,760 of 48,579
From what I know the PC360 is the second best headset you can get, after the Beyerdynamic. If it is worth the pricetag, that´s a question only you can decide for yourself, but it surely is a good headset and worth it´s price if you need a headset. 
If you don´t need an actual headset you can get a better deal. Buy a regular headphone (maybe Creative Aurvana Live if you are looking for a cheaper alternative) and get a clip on mic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back