Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #4,021 of 48,578
DSS2, I finally did some testing on the surround sound angles on the DSS2 and IMO, there really wasn't any perceivable difference in the 6 settings it offers or maybe my ears aren't as trained as others. It seems that it may just use different levels of delay but at such a subtle rate it really is hard to discern. I had my nephew change settings in one trial and I would try to tell the difference often I would have to make sure he even changed the setting. So as far as that feature is concerned IMO it's not worth getting the DSS2 if that's why you want it. As for the EQ settings, this feature is pretty nice, I didn't have any crackling when using the bass boost features and when really trying to get a bead on the opposition in COD the mid boost definitely helped. Although the EQ'ing did leave alot to be desired, as it's function is generally just to bring certain frequencies to the front, I can say it did help and was a nice feature. In SP I would put it on the bass and treble boost setting and it did a nice job of adding fun to the PC360. Another thing I liked was that there is little (if there is I can't hear it) to no noise coming from the DSS2. It is not as powerful as the Tritton decoder box but did a good job of powering the PC360. I do not own a Astro Mix amp so I can't help you there. IMO the biggest drawback for me was the inability to use the chat feature with anything other than TB headsets, if you want chat you will probably have to buy a Turtle Beach headset as the connection for their chat feature is through USB and not a 3.5mm jack. All in all for $79.99 the DSS2 is decent you just have to see if it's right for your setup and game play.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4,022 of 48,578
Just for ***** and giggles if I was to upgrade from the DT990pro and HD598 what would be the next logical step.
Or maybe just keeping what I have and buying say a Matrix or GD Audio amp/dac? I was going to get the E17 but I honestly don't see myself going that portable with it.
Would a D7000 be a step up or possibly Ultrasone 2900?(Have heard they are not the most comfortable headphone.)
Remember this is a little fantasy.
Wish I could have the soundstage, resolution, and mids of the HD598. Mixed with the bass, highs, fun and comfort (after stretching) of the DT990pros. We can all dream.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #4,023 of 48,578

Quote:
Just for ***** and giggles if I was to upgrade from the DT990pro and HD598 what would be the next logical step.
Or maybe just keeping what I have and buying say a Matrix or GD Audio amp/dac? I was going to get the E17 but I honestly don't see myself going that portable with it.
Would a D7000 be a step up or possibly Ultrasone 2900?(Have heard they are not the most comfortable headphone.)
Remember this is a little fantasy.
Wish I could have the soundstage, resolution, and mids of the HD598. Mixed with the bass, highs, fun and comfort (after stretching) of the DT990pros. We can all dream.

What source(s) do you currently plug your headphones into?

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #4,024 of 48,578
DHL called me today to inform me that my package would be in today. NFB-5 should be here soon. :)

Though I think they (different number) called again and I didn't answer... they better not have taken that as me not being home. That'd be bull...

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #4,025 of 48,578

Quote:
What source(s) do you currently plug your headphones into?

My PC with a Realtek HD(front port, back port can't even push out enough volume for my IEMs), it has more then enough volume to deafen me on the DT990pro, but I do know volume isn't everything. Also the mixamp which is a large portion of my time. I do have concerns about double amping the mixamp though. Have also read it isn't that big of a deal either.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,026 of 48,578
That's because back ports are for speakers which need a LOT more current than headphones which need more voltage... lol.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #4,027 of 48,578

Quote:
My PC with a Realtek HD(front port, back port can't even push out enough volume for my IEMs), it has more then enough volume to deafen me on the DT990pro, but I do know volume isn't everything. Also the mixamp which is a large portion of my time. I do have concerns about double amping the mixamp though. Have also read it isn't that big of a deal either.

Maybe try the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier, I'm thinking of getting the desktop version which should be available in a month or two.
I really doubt your built in Realtek sound brings out the best of the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #4,028 of 48,578
Long time reader and user of this website and I have to say this thread is awesome.  Finally one for gamers using headphones.  I'm currently using the Tritton AX720 decoder box with Denon D1100's but want to use a more beefier decoder/receiver so if I ever upgrade headphones I won't be forced to use ONLY 32ohm headphones AND I can use speakers when I want to.  I am looking at two receivers by Harman Kardon that feature Harman Headphone (which the HK representative said is their version of Dolby Headphone) and one with Dolby Headphone along with it.

HK - AVR-2600 Harman Headphone
HK - AVR-3600 Harman Headphone w/Dolby Headphone

My main question is, could I get the 2600 and get the same sound or does Dolby Headphone make THAT much of a difference.  I don't want to get the one not having Dolby Headphone and (since I already have something with Dolby Headphone) be spoiled to that sound, BUT if I can't tell the difference I will get the 2600.  Thanks for all the info this thread has provided so far!

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #4,029 of 48,578

Quote:
That's because back ports are for speakers which need a LOT more current than headphones which need more voltage... lol.

Oh cool this is good to know. :)

Quote:
Maybe try the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier, I'm thinking of getting the desktop version which should be available in a month or two.
I really doubt your built in Realtek sound brings out the best of the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

Oh I am not disagreeing with that at all. While it can bring the volume it is very highly unlikely that it is bringing all the goodness they can achieve for sure.
The O2 and ODA are on my fantasy wish list. I have read all the way from Burson's to Asus to Fiio. Trying to pick the right amp can be a little daunting.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #4,030 of 48,578

Quote:
Long time reader and user of this website and I have to say this thread is awesome.  Finally one for gamers using headphones.  I'm currently using the Tritton AX720 decoder box with Denon D1100's but want to use a more beefier decoder/receiver so if I ever upgrade headphones I won't be forced to use ONLY 32ohm headphones AND I can use speakers when I want to.  I am looking at two receivers by Harman Kardon that feature Harman Headphone (which the HK representative said is their version of Dolby Headphone) and one with Dolby Headphone along with it.
HK - AVR-2600 Harman Headphone
HK - AVR-3600 Harman Headphone w/Dolby Headphone
My main question is, could I get the 2600 and get the same sound or does Dolby Headphone make THAT much of a difference.  I don't want to get the one not having Dolby Headphone and (since I already have something with Dolby Headphone) be spoiled to that sound, BUT if I can't tell the difference I will get the 2600.  Thanks for all the info this thread has provided so far!

It looks like Harman Headphone started out as Harman Kardon Logic 7, which was designed (for car audio systems) to take 2.0 channel music and expand it to a simulated 5.1 signal, like Dolby Pro Logic II.
So they renamed Logic 7 to Harman Headphone, to take 2.0 channel sound and fakes a simulated 5.1 signal for the (2.0 channel) headphones. which does not make sense to me.
Dolby Digital headphone is when a true 5.1 or 7.1 signal (source) is converted into a 2.0 channel signal that fools your ears (with headphones) into thinking it's hearing surround sound (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
So the Harman Headphone appears to only work with a 2.0 channel source, movies and surround sound games are 5.1 or 7.1 channel sources.
So get the receiver with Dolby Headphone.
P.S. I'm new to this Harman Headphone feature, so feel free to double check what I've said.

Check out the Yamaha RX-V667 & RX-A700 receivers, they come with Yamaha Silent Cinema, which appears to be more like Dolby Headphone, then the Harman Headphone.
The RX-V667 (2 year warranty) & RX-A700 (3 year warranty) are the cheapest Yamaha receivers with the better speaker amplifiers.
I'm the proud owner of the Yamaha RX-671.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,031 of 48,578
My NFB 5 came in, and hooked it up. :)

I'm gonna have to bookmark the Audio GD site, lol.

First test, the filters. I honestly can't tell a difference between 1-9, lol. It's fresh out the box and I heard Audio-GD equipment needs to be warmed up for like an hour, so I dunno. We'll see.

High Gain is lol-worthy. My D7000 literally can't take anything above 9 o clock, and the knob starts at 7 o clock. At low gain, it's a lot like where I normally put it on my E9, 10-11 o clock.

The USB reads as SPDIF and can be volume controlled by the computer, that's a first for me. The E7 doesn't. I would prefer it didn't as I tend to accidentally lower volume at times.

I need to get used to it overall. Right now, I'd probably fail an A/B test vs the E9. That was what I thought would happen. I had a feeling SS vs SS amps wouldn't yield an appreciable difference.

One thing... I can tell this thing is pushing a LOT of power. It's well made, feels heavy and sturdy, and the volume knob feels AMAZINg next to the E9's plastic one. it has a weighty feel when you turn it.

One thing is obvious, the ACSS is a hair clearer than the stock opamp, so they weren't kidding when they say ACSS is better than using opamps, though it's a VERY MINOR difference. It is noticeable though. The stock opamp is being replaced by MOON, so I should be able to really see what op amp rolling does, as MOON is supposed to be warm and tube-like, vs the very neutral ACSS.

Make no mistake, this amp sounds awesome.

Also USB vs Optical: The optical seems less harsh on the treble. It seems less dynamic though. Sounds pretty uninvolved. USB sounds better to me.

edit: WOW, the Q701 on Low Gain needs the knob to be at almost 3 o clock! That thing really is hard to drive, lol. On High Gain: 10-11 o clock. I can effectively leave the knob at the same spot, and switch gains depending on headphones, though I'll have to set it to low gain anytime I unplug, so I don't blow up my D7000, lol.

Next order of business is to swap the opamps, and switch the line out to fixed, so I can A/B with the E9.

Anyone with the Q701 (Chico), can you take a pic of the 6.3mm plug? I have two, and both screw on perfectly. I'm trying to find out which is the stock one. One has a larger area next to the 'ribbed' area.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #4,032 of 48,578

Quote:
It looks like Harman Headphone started out as Harman Kardon Logic 7, which was designed (for car audio systems) to take 2.0 channel music and expand it to a simulated 5.1 signal, like Dolby Pro Logic II.
So they renamed Logic 7 to Harman Headphone, to take 2.0 channel sound and fakes a simulated 5.1 signal for the (2.0 channel) headphones. which does not make sense to me.
Dolby Digital headphone is when a true 5.1 or 7.1 signal (source) is converted into a 2.0 channel signal that fools your ears (with headphones) into thinking it's hearing surround sound (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
So the Harman Headphone appears to only work with a 2.0 channel source, movies and surround sound games are 5.1 or 7.1 channel sources.
So get the receiver with Dolby Headphone.
P.S. I'm new to this Harman Headphone feature, so feel free to double check what I've said.

Check out the Yamaha RX-V667 & RX-A700 receivers, they come with Yamaha Silent Cinema, which appears to be more like Dolby Headphone, then the Harman Headphone.
The RX-V667 (2 year warranty) & RX-A700 (3 year warranty) are the cheapest Yamaha receivers with the better speaker amplifiers.
I'm the proud owner of the Yamaha RX-671.

Makes perfect sense and most likely what Harman is doing.  Good suggestions with the Yamaha receivers.  I see you have an impressive set of phones.  Does the Yamaha push them ok?  How would you rate Silent Cinema vs Dolby Headphone?  I keep reading a lot of good things about Silent Cinema so I'm very interested.  I will want to have the capability to push headphones all the way up to 250ohm.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4,034 of 48,578

Quote:
My NFB 5 came in, and hooked it up.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm gonna have to bookmark the Audio GD site, lol.
First test, the filters. I honestly can't tell a difference between 1-9, lol. It's fresh out the box and I heard Audio-GD equipment needs to be warmed up for like an hour, so I dunno. We'll see.
High Gain is lol-worthy. My D7000 literally can't take anything above 9 o clock, and the knob starts at 7 o clock. At low gain, it's a lot like where I normally put it on my E9, 10-11 o clock.
The USB reads as SPDIF and can be volume controlled by the computer, that's a first for me. The E7 doesn't. I would prefer it didn't as I tend to accidentally lower volume at times.
I need to get used to it overall. Right now, I'd probably fail an A/B test vs the E9. That was what I thought would happen. I had a feeling SS vs SS amps wouldn't yield an appreciable difference.
One thing... I can tell this thing is pushing a LOT of power. It's well made, feels heavy and sturdy, and the volume knob feels AMAZINg next to the E9's plastic one. it has a weighty feel when you turn it.
One thing is obvious, the ACSS is a hair clearer than the stock opamp, so they weren't kidding when they say ACSS is better than using opamps, though it's a VERY MINOR difference. It is noticeable though. The stock opamp is being replaced by MOON, so I should be able to really see what op amp rolling does, as MOON is supposed to be warm and tube-like, vs the very neutral ACSS.
Make no mistake, this amp sounds awesome.
Also USB vs Optical: The optical seems less harsh on the treble. It seems less dynamic though. Sounds pretty uninvolved. USB sounds better to me.
edit: WOW, the Q701 on Low Gain needs the knob to be at almost 3 o clock! That thing really is hard to drive, lol. On High Gain: 10-11 o clock. I can effectively leave the knob at the same spot, and switch gains depending on headphones, though I'll have to set it to low gain anytime I unplug, so I don't blow up my D7000, lol.
Next order of business is to swap the opamps, and switch the line out to fixed, so I can A/B with the E9.
Anyone with the Q701 (Chico), can you take a pic of the 6.3mm plug? I have two, and both screw on perfectly. I'm trying to find out which is the stock one. One has a larger area next to the 'ribbed' area.

I'm pretty sure that the USB module just sends S/PDIF to the normal DAC.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back