Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4,036 of 48,583
So I put the MOON opamp into the NFB 5.

If there is a difference from stock, sure as hell could've fooled me.

All this has done is convince me that opamps rolling is some placebo effect. It sounds almost the same as ACSS, VERY little difference. MOON was supposed to give a tube-like sound. I'm not getting that whatsoever. ACSS is still clearer, but MOON didn't sound any difference from stock opamp. Guess this was a $25 test that failed. I'll be sticking to ACSS. To anyone that gets the NFB 5, it's a great piece of equipment which I can recommend as an all in one solution. I'd save up and not buy any opamps or magical voodo. The ACSS connection is superior.

Unless you need to change the line out, I wouldn't ever bothering to open the case. the line out stock is set to variable, meaning whatever is connected to the line out is volume controlled by the NFB5, which I don't want since the line out is being fed to the E9 which has it's own volume control). I opened it up, and attached a supplied piece as labeled on the website to set my line out to fixed.

BTW, the DAC/HP button set to 3 and 4 is for the line out. 3 is for ACSS, and 4 is for OPAMP. Again, even with the E9, going from ACSS to Opamp Moon yields very little difference. ACSS is still better.

Okay, so quick comparison between NFB 5 vs E9.

NFB 5 is definitely superior. HOWEVER, talking about a very VERY slight difference with the Q701. So don't expect miracles. You want DEFINITELY better, I suggest a new headphone over amps. The E9 sounds harsher and thinner, where the NFB 5 sounds thicker and more balanced. It is an upgrade, but not one that will have you jumping out of your seat. I'd say it's less than 10% better.

I can't directly A/B E7 vs NFB 5 dacs, as my E7's dock connection is broken. The NFB 5's DAC plays very nice with the E9 though.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4,037 of 48,583
Hi guys,

I was thinking of upgrading my headset for PC games.  Mainly using for like League of Legends or a mmo and Vent or skype.  What I am currently doing is PC(USB)/PS3(optical) > Nuforce HDP > headphones or amp/speakers.

I gave my friend my old creative headset.  Been reading how good the AKG K701s are and lucky I have a pair already.  I was wondering if anyone has an recommendations on microphones.  Either one I can put on the table and it wont get in the way or a clip one to my K701 wire.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4,038 of 48,583

Quote:
All this has done is convince me that opamps rolling is some placebo effect. It sounds almost the same as ACSS, VERY little difference. MOON was supposed to give a tube-like sound. I'm not getting that whatsoever. ACSS is still clearer, but MOON didn't sound any difference from stock opamp. Guess this was a $25 test that failed. I'll be sticking to ACSS. To anyone that gets the NFB 5, it's a great piece of equipment which I can recommend as an all in one solution. I'd save up and not buy any opamps or magical voodo. The ACSS connection is superior.
Unless you need to change the line out, I wouldn't ever bothering to open the case. the line out stock is set to variable, meaning whatever is connected to the line out is volume controlled by the NFB5, which I don't want since the line out is being fed to the E9 which has it's own volume control). I opened it up, and attached a supplied piece as labeled on the website to set my line out to fixed.
BTW, the DAC/HP button set to 3 and 4 is for the line out. 3 is for ACSS, and 4 is for OPAMP. Again, even with the E9, going from ACSS to Opamp Moon yields very little difference. ACSS is still better.
NFB 5 is definitely superior. HOWEVER, talking about a very VERY slight difference with the Q701. So don't expect miracles. You want DEFINITELY better, I suggest a new headphone over amps. The E9 sounds harsher and thinner, where the NFB 5 sounds thicker and more balanced. It is an upgrade, but not one that will have you jumping out of your seat. I'd say it's less than 10% better.
I can't directly A/B E7 vs NFB 5 dacs, as my E7's dock connection is broken. The NFB 5's DAC plays very nice with the E9 though.

Variable line out mode lets it function as a Pre-amp.  Technically I should set mine to fixed, because my Promedia 2.1 has its own Preamp but I prefer using the NFB-5's knob.  I'm not sure how to read their output impedance for the DAC out but it almost looks like you could run reasonable speakers off it.  

Hi guys,

I was thinking of upgrading my headset for PC games.  Mainly using for like League of Legends or a mmo and Vent or skype.  What I am currently doing is PC(USB)/PS3(optical) > Nuforce HDP > headphones or amp/speakers.

I gave my friend my old creative headset.  Been reading how good the AKG K701s are and lucky I have a pair already.  I was wondering if anyone has an recommendations on microphones.  Either one I can put on the table and it wont get in the way or a clip one to my K701 wire.

I imagine those LCD-3's I see in your signature are no slouch in game either.  I notice you don't seem to have any virtualized surround taking place, which I don't think that LoL would benefit much from that sort of thing but MMO's might.  

I don't think any table mics are usable on something like a coffee table so a clip on would probably be the way to go.  The Mod Mic is one to look at but I dunno if I'd stick a mod mic to an LCD-3.  

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #4,039 of 48,583
Quote:
thanks for that! you may have saved me a few hundred $ there haha

does this mean that you can have a separate output devices for playback and recording?

Upon further research, I've decided to take back my previous recommendation for a $25 card. Avoid the cheap Creative cards like the plague. Way too much rebranding/incentivizing of better cards for me to push you in that direction. Still works great on higher end cards though if you're willing to spend 2x as much, I guess I just lucked out by getting a true X-Fi card at a clearance price.

Anyways, even the high end cards are noticeably cheaper than a mixamp if you're more of a PC guy.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #4,040 of 48,583

Quote:

you may wanna check out
http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_audio/ic_opamps/pdf/opamp_distortion.pdf

opamps are so good nowadays that you can get 2 on a chip for <$1 and you're getting good performance at solid levels of quality control. the fact that discrete circuits can be theoretically superior is offset by the fact that you're taking a massive leap of faith that the discrete circuit design is theoretically sound, let alone exceeds op amp circuits. as far as discrete opamps go, opamps take the hassle out of circuit design because you can design around idealities like infinite open loop gain, no biasing current, etc. If I was designing a circuit to give good real world performance from an ideal design, I'd design around an opamp from a semiconductor manufacturer than a boutique audiophile manufacturer any day.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #4,041 of 48,583

Quote:
Upon further research, I've decided to take back my previous recommendation for a $25 card. Avoid the cheap Creative cards like the plague. Way too much rebranding/incentivizing of better cards for me to push you in that direction. Still works great on higher end cards though if you're willing to spend 2x as much, I guess I just lucked out by getting a true X-Fi card at a clearance price.

Anyways, even the high end cards are noticeably cheaper than a mixamp if you're more of a PC guy.

which true X_fi card do you recommend?

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4,043 of 48,583
Quote:
which true X_fi card do you recommend?

I've been doing testing with my Fatal1ty Pro (picked it up for $20 after rebate about a year ago at my local B&M store). There's actually a well-hidden list of Creative cards that officially support "What U Hear" under Windows 7: http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=87127 so any of these should work just fine. Haven't had any problems yet with my measly little $10 USB dongle in a few hours of CMSS + BF3/HD VLC testing, so I don't expect any problems from my E17 when the preorder finally comes through. With a Fatal1ty Pro porting DSP to an E17 DAC feeding my DT-770 Pros, I'm expecting big things :D

I expect there should be some higher end Creative cards floating around this forum at discount prices as I expect most folks here have moved on to superior DACs. I wish there was a solid cheap option, but I guess we can't have superior DSP + superior DAC and do it with a budget card to boot :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4,045 of 48,583
It feels AWESOME too. Best knob ever. Well... actually, I like the one on the Headzone. It was manual, but was actually digital...

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #4,047 of 48,583
It looks sort of vintage-ish, and utalitarian, but with it's own aesthetic charm.

I'd have preferred something more stylish, but I'm quite happy with it. It screams quality when you have it in your hands.

Let's just say I've spent most of my time with the Q701 and the NFB 5 tonight. What a glorious combo. I already know the D7000 sounds amazing off it, but the D7000 sounds amazing off ANYTHING. The Q701 is more demanding, and it's why I wanted it to be the first real test of the NFB5, and it certainly passes.

I almost wish I never got rid of the DT990 to see how it sounds off the NFb 5. Oh well. Perhaps an ortho will be something I go for in the future, so though I'm a bit too happy with the Q701 at the moment.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4,048 of 48,583
Am i right in supposing a DAC improves the quality of the audio output?

For gaming on the PC, if you want the best directional audio for fps games (and already have high end headphones), then what's the best part to buy? A good soundcard, or a good DAC, or what?

Thanks

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4,049 of 48,583

Quote:
Am i right in supposing a DAC improves the quality of the audio output?

For gaming on the PC, if you want the best directional audio for fps games (and already have high end headphones), then what's the best part to buy? A good soundcard, or a good DAC, or what?

Thanks

DACs improve the clarity, but not the directionality or positioning. You need the DSP features on a sound card for that.

I wrote a guide on PC gaming audio, particularly the APIs and middleware used. The general rule of thumb is that if whatever you play uses DirectSound3D or OpenAL, you're better off with a card based on the X-Fi DSP (and not those fake XtremeAudio cards that lack the DSP) because CMSS-3D Headphone provides a full 3D binaural sound and not just virtual 7.1, but if it's using XAudio2 or recent versions of FMOD, then all you get is virtual 7.1 and Dolby Headphone out of most other cards isn't really shortchanged by comparison.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4,050 of 48,583
Hey guys,

I just bought the DT 770 Pro online twice, 80 and 250 Ohm Versions, to check them out myself because there isn't any store near me to test them. I will just send one back. I also bought the Astro Mixamp Pro.
I'm also thinking about getting the AD700 which are even more problematic to test in a local store.

My question would be which of the two (three cuz different Ohm versions) headphones will be the best for music experience. I read the first post about the gaming sound I think both would be great.
But I'm not quite sure which one will be best for my kind of music preferences.
I listen to a lot of different music genres so it must be an allrounder.

As the bass seems to be less powerful from the AD700 would you consider it a con in the music aspect?

I'm listening to it on my Laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back