Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,756 of 48,578
If your soundcard is Dolby Headphone enabled, then yes, its all you need for 7.1 VIRTUAL surround, as long as the games you play have a Dolby Digital option.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,757 of 48,578
I thought your games only had to have 5.1/7.1 surround options, or is that synonymous with Dolby Digital?

Anyway, I'm now thinking of just going PC360 or HD598. They're the cheapest of my options, and I'm pretty sure that whatever I buy will blow me away after years of onboard sound and crappy cans. I'll try and get my hands on the HD598, somehow, before purcashing so I can test them and see what the fuss is about the supposedly weak bass. I'd go for the PC360 (which are just HD595s right?) but I've heard the HD598 has more bass and is in general a small but noticeable upgrade. Fact or Fiction?

I know they won't, or shouldn't, need amping out of a Xonar Essence ST but I really like to have a volume knob somewhere on my desk for on the fly volume adjusting so I'm looking into amps a bit. Apparently the Schiit Asgard has great synergy with the HD598, but it's a bit pricey (for me) at $250. Unless they're a great investment and would do well with other, better cans in the future (I have no illusions about the fact you people will ruin me before long)? Does the Mixamp sound good with the two cans I mentioned? I think I heard it mention it has Bass Boost? Any good? Or is the FiiO E9 a better choice at that pricepoint? Note: I'd just buy the E9, I have no need for a portable dac/amp. Also, does the E9 come with a cover of sorts to hide the E7 port? Any other suggestions?

Speaking of DACs, is it possible/worth it to go:

Xonar Essence ST -> S/PDIF -> DAC -> AMP -> Cans and still retain Dolby Headphone? Or is the Dolby Headphone magic only added during the digital to analog conversion process (I'm guessing no, but I'm curious)?

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,760 of 48,578
Ok, i'm a little confused here, do i need Dolby Digital IIz or Dolby headphone to be able to get 7.1 or better?

And is there anyway i can get Dolby Headphone or something like it when i connect the D7000 to my PS3?

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,761 of 48,578
If you want simulated surround sound in your headphones you need DH (dolby headphone.)  This is the ONLY thing that will give you surround sound.  Only some devices have this. Astro mixamp, turtle beach dds, some sound cards and some receivers for home theaters. 
You are confusing me wondering about 7.1  Anything DH can handle up to 7.1 but the xbox and the ps3 don't support 7.1 only 5.1.  It's not hard to figure out,

Console/optical cable/mixamp or dds/ headphone.  And you're done.  You have the ultimate gaming setup.
The ps3 is the same as xbox you connect via optical cable.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,762 of 48,578
I wouldn't call dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or anything, its stereo, but with better positioning. Sound can come from any direction, not just 5 set spots. It works on every game I own too, including Minecraft, so I don't think games specificly need support for it. It can give better instrument seperation in music, but you take a hit in the sound quality.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,763 of 48,578
I wouldn't call it anything near stereo. The only time it sounds like an expanded stereo is if you don't have a Dolby Digital signal for these devices to process to Dolby Headphone. You NEED to make sure you're getting a DD signal, otherwise, you won't hear it properly. Games like Minecraft are just getting expanded stereo.

DH sounds like MORE than 7.1. There are absolutely no speaker cues. The sound is coming from all around you.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,764 of 48,578

Quote:
I wouldn't call it anything near stereo. The only time it sounds like an expanded stereo is if you don't have a Dolby Digital signal for these devices to process to Dolby Headphone. You NEED to make sure you're getting a DD signal, otherwise, you won't hear it properly. Games like Minecraft are just getting expanded stereo.

DH sounds like MORE than 7.1. There are absolutely no speaker cues. The sound is coming from all around you.

Do i need an amp for the Dolby Digital or does my soundcard have it?

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,765 of 48,578
Look into your soundcard. That's what interwebz is for. :D

In any case, I wouldn't know, as I don't game on PC.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,766 of 48,578
Essence ST/X does support dolby headphones with DH-1/DH-2/DH-3 mode.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,767 of 48,578

Quote:
Look into your soundcard. That's what interwebz is for.
biggrin.gif

In any case, I wouldn't know, as I don't game on PC.

It got dolby digital live, is that it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back