Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 24, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,742 of 48,583

Quote:
EDIT 2: Just wondering, does Dolby Headphone emulate 7.1 surround?

Direct from Dolby's page about their tech: "In addition, in conjunction with content preprocessed with Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby Headphone can deliver a convincing 7.1-channel surround experience."

Astro mentions 5.1 and 7.1 on their page for the Mixamp 5.8.  Turtle Beach also has 5.1 and 7.1 listed on their page for the Ear Force DSS.  Don't know enough about DH capable receivers to answer for them but most likely they are the same.

http://www.dolby.com/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-headphone.html

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,743 of 48,583
Direct from Dolby's page about their tech: "In addition, in conjunction with content preprocessed with Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby Headphone can deliver a convincing 7.1-channel surround experience."

Astro mentions 5.1 and 7.1 on their page for the Mixamp 5.8.  Turtle Beach also has 5.1 and 7.1 listed on their page for the Ear Force DSS.  Don't know enough about DH capable receivers to answer for them but most likely they are the same.

To put it as a 5.1 or 7.1 would downplay what DH. There are no speaker cues. It's a full 360 degree sound field, it may as well be labeled as 20.1 surround or something. I think they label it as 5.1 or 7.1 just so people can expect something akin to a speaker setup. In any case, 7.1 is false advertisement at it's core, as optical digital cables only carry DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (though those gaming amps don't decode DTS). For example, if you play a Blu-Ray on the PS3 that does DTS-HD (which then downconverts to regular DTS for the optical digital connection), the signal will downconvert to 2.1 stereo, so you'll be getting a basic stereo signal sent to the Mixamp, which doesn't even come close to a Pro Logic II signal, let alone a Dolby Digital signal.

From actual experience, the Mixamp sounds better with a regular DVD than a Blu-Ray, because DVDs carry a real Dolby Digital signal which the Mixamp converts to DH properly, giving you the real virtual surround, as opposed to virtualizing a basic stereo signal to virtual surround (a song playing on the Mixamp with the DH button on...sounds worse than a song playing from a real Dolby Digital signal from like a movie).

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,744 of 48,583

Quote:
Hmm...

What just happened was... sad, to give it a name.

I never saw Alghazanth imposing his will or making rude calls. I was curious about his arguments, and about what his cans and his view for SP was. I do think MLE overreacted in his aggresive posts.

But well... sad to see another fun thread spoiled for this kind of behaviour.

Agree with this. MLE contributes a lot to this forum but has a tendency to get too defensive. It's fine to express your own preferences and views, but it's obnoxious to do it in a tone or manner that attacks those who disagree.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,745 of 48,583

Quote:
Agree with this. MLE contributes a lot to this forum but has a tendency to get too defensive. It's fine to express your own preferences and views, but it's obnoxious to do it in a tone or manner that attacks those who disagree.

That goes both ways.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #1,747 of 48,583

Quote:
Quote:

To put it as a 5.1 or 7.1 would downplay what DH. There are no speaker cues. It's a full 360 degree sound field, it may as well be labeled as 20.1 surround or something. I think they label it as 5.1 or 7.1 just so people can expect something akin to a speaker setup. In any case, 7.1 is false advertisement at it's core, as optical digital cables only carry DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (though those gaming amps don't decode DTS). For example, if you play a Blu-Ray on the PS3 that does DTS-HD (which then downconverts to regular DTS for the optical digital connection), the signal will downconvert to 2.1 stereo, so you'll be getting a basic stereo signal sent to the Mixamp, which doesn't even come close to a Pro Logic II signal, let alone a Dolby Digital signal.

From actual experience, the Mixamp sounds better with a regular DVD than a Blu-Ray, because DVDs carry a real Dolby Digital signal which the Mixamp converts to DH properly, giving you the real virtual surround, as opposed to virtualizing a basic stereo signal to virtual surround (a song playing on the Mixamp with the DH button on...sounds worse than a song playing from a real Dolby Digital signal from like a movie).

My takeaway from Dolby's page is that either 5.1 or 7.1 sources are usable by DH products.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,748 of 48,583
Will the D7000 work good with the essence sound card?
Will it be able to run 7.1 or whatever it is?

EDIT: Just wondering something about the D7000, if i connect my PS3 to my new Samsung screen (the new LED 950D) and then connect the D7000 to the screen, will the headphones function properly or is the PS3 to weak?

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,749 of 48,583

Quote:
Will the D7000 work good with the essence sound card?
Will it be able to run 7.1 or whatever it is?

EDIT: Just wondering something about the D7000, if i connect my PS3 to my new Samsung screen (the new LED 950D) and then connect the D7000 to the screen, will the headphones function properly or is the PS3 to weak?

According to what MLE has said about having the D7000 sound fine out of any source, then yes the D7000 will sound fine out of your Essence ST. As for your other question, the TV will be amping your headphones and not your PS3. And as far as I'm concerned, I think the headphone outs on samsung tvs or any tv for that matter generally suck.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #1,750 of 48,583

Quote:
According to what MLE has said about having the D7000 sound fine out of any source, then yes the D7000 will sound fine out of your Essence ST. As for your other question, the TV will be amping your headphones and not your PS3. And as far as I'm concerned, I think the headphone outs on samsung tvs or any tv for that matter generally suck.

Is there something i can buy or do so it sounds better?

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,751 of 48,583
Yes, a DAC and AMP. Something as simple and cheap like the Fiio E7/E9 will improve the D7000. Better DACs and AMPs will improve them even more, though YMMV. If getting an amp, I recommend a solid state amp.

On to other news, I received my KSC35.

Good news: they sound great, are lighter than the already light KSC75, almost just as comfy (75's clips as soft, while the 35s are pure plastic), more bass, black color makes it usable in public vs the dorky looking 75s, IMHO.

Bad news: Costs 3x the price of the KSC75, cheaper build, treble is rolled off (loses the sparkle of the KSC75), can only be easily bought on the Koss website, so you pay full price. SQ is literally on par with the KSC75, the trade off being just more bass on the KSC35 vs more treble on the KSC75.

All in all, if the price of the KSC35 was as low as the KSC75, I'd say choose whichever suits your tastes; more bass, or more treble. As it stands, the 35s pretty much lose to the KSC75s due to price/performance.

Which do I prefer? I love both, but the KSC75 is still better for me due to that treble, as well as the brighter sound signature that just makes them sound clearer. The KSC75s bass was satisfying for most uses for me. The KSC35 will become my bassy music, movie, and immersive gaming can (haven't tested them for gaming or movies so this may not happen), while the 75s will be my anime, TV show, non-bass heavy music can. I certainly do have a place for both, but I don't think the 35s should cost more than the 75s, though the 75s I think are underpriced, lol. I think both should be $30, though I'm certainly not complaining about the low price on the 75s.

Yes, they're fresh out the box, but I'm not expecting miracles after some heavy hours of use. They sound just as I expected to sound, which is a warmer, bassier 75 sound.

Also don't let this impression fool you, the KSC35 sounds quite clear. In fact, the vocals are QUITE rich, if a little bit more forward than the KSC75. Its a phenomenal headphone. If this is how the Porta Pro sounds like, I now know why its so popular.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,752 of 48,583

Quote:
Yes, a DAC and AMP. Something as simple and cheap like the Fiio E7/E9 will improve the D7000. Better DACs and AMPs will improve them even more, though YMMV. If getting an amp, I recommend a solid state amp.

Could you please recommend me some amps?
I ain't really good at this.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,754 of 48,583
OMG YES, the KSC75 clips fit on the KSC35. Having used the KSC35 all day, the plastic clips REALLY start to bother my ears. They're somewhat sharp and dig in where they rest on your ear. I didn't wanna break the clips in case they didn't detach, but luckily they do, just a bit harder to take off than the KSC75.

Now with the soft KSC75 clips, the KSC35 has become more awesome. :D

More A/B testing, I have to say that I now slightly favor the KSC35. The sound is fuller than the KSC75 which sounds a bit thin in comparison. It's still a tough sell because they're only SLIGHTLY better than the KSC75 for me. <$15 KSC75 vs >$45 KSC35... with only a SLIGHT SQ boost? I do find it worth it due to the fuller bass and vocals, but I do miss the bright sound signature of the KSC75.

Another pro of the KSC35 is that they don't distort during heavy bass like the KSC75 sometimes does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back