Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 19, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,201 of 48,562
I have no doubt the D2K will perform well for all purposes. What I mean is that for the more competitive types (like me), less bass will allow even beter detail retrieval. My D7000 is great for gaming, but I prefer the PC360 or HE4 as the bass on those won't distract me. A leaner and quicker bass impact will let you hear those subtle details through the bass better than full and powerful bass.

May 20, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #1,202 of 48,562
I dunno how many of you gamers love your video game soundstracks, and also video game remixes, but a humongous portion of my music library comes from

http://ocremix.org/

You will only find FLAC from the full video game albums, but most of the mp3s are 160-192, and don't sound anywhere near anything but crystal clear.

In any case, my current obsession is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Ri9PcmpyI

Blue Skies by BLIND. A remix to 'Will To Fight' from FFXIII. They just released this song on OCR yesterday. So epic.

I posted this here, since you guys are my gaming buddies. Listening to this off the HE4 is bliss. The air produced by the HE4 makes this song shine ever slightly moreso than on my D7000.

Also it's true what they say, spending hours with one headphone and changing it to another pair usually makes the fresher pair sound bad. Like today, everything sounds muddy and muffled on my D7000, since I got so used to the bright sig on the HE4. Yesterday, it was the other way around. The D7000 sounded perfect, and when I put on the HE4, it all sounded so harsh and super treble oriented.

So if you're ever comparing two headphones... well keep that in mind.

May 20, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #1,204 of 48,562
My fave remix album has to be Final Fantasy VII: Voices Of The Lifestream, because it's a remix of my fave game universe ever, FFVII. So much win in that album.

May 20, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #1,205 of 48,562

Quote:
My fave remix album has to be Final Fantasy VII: Voices Of The Lifestream, because it's a remix of my fave game universe ever, FFVII. So much win in that album.

Wow, we have too much in common. I've owned/tried almost every single headphone in your guide with the same results (D7000,AD700 <3), and have all the same amps. And Final Fantasy VII is the best game of all time, plus that album is incredible
beyersmile.png

May 20, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #1,207 of 48,562
Wow, we have too much in common. I've owned/tried almost every single headphone in your guide with the same results (D7000,AD700 <3), and have all the same amps. And Final Fantasy VII is the best game of all time, plus that album is incredible
beyersmile.png

Cool beans! Lol. Yeah, as stereotypical as it is, I'm a huge FFVII fanboy. More than I care to admit to people IRL. Though I bet we don't have ONE thing in common: Yuffie is my fave character, followed very closely by Tifa. I'm also a huge Yuffentine-shipper. Though I won't bore you as to why I believe it works. Lol.

Croozer, the only problem with that mic is that it will take literally like a month from the date you order it. Still, it's a month wait for such an absurdly cheap and fully functional item. :)

May 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,208 of 48,562
Croozer, the only problem with that mic is that it will take literally like a month from the date you order it. Still, it's a month wait for such an absurdly cheap and fully functional item. :)

I will just buy one local.

Thanx.

May 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,209 of 48,562
i still don't know why they won't release a PS3 version of FF7.  that game will probably make billions in 1 weekend...lol.

anyways, has anyone tried the JVC-HA-RX700/900?  any predictions on how well they might work?  looking for a budget headphone for a friend.

May 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,210 of 48,562

Quote:
i still don't know why they won't release a PS3 version of FF7.  that game will probably make billions in 1 weekend...lol.

anyways, has anyone tried the JVC-HA-RX700/900?  any predictions on how well they might work?  looking for a budget headphone for a friend.

I think it's coming, because Square Enix just lost a ton of money this fiscal year and they (hopefully) know how lucrative following up on that tech demo would be.

I tried out a pair of RX700s. I thought they were good for music for the price, but I wouldn't use them for gaming. $30 closed headphones don't tend to have very good soundstage.

May 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,211 of 48,562

Quote:
Thank you, from the bottom of my gamer's heart. That saved me a ton of time, money and disappointment--especially since I was thinking of buying the Audio Mixer as a gift.

Which mic do you use, that plugs into the 360 controller?

I'm just using some random clip on mic w/ a mono plug that I found at a pawn shop. I connect it to my controller with with a Rocketfish 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter and that's it. The key to getting any mic to work with a 360 controller is to make sure you're sending the audio from the mic to the controller in MONO. Plugging in a mic with a stereo plug directly into the controller won't work well and you'll sound very faint. So if you have a stereo jack from something like the PC360 and want to plug it directly into the controller then you'll have to add a stereo to mono adapter then a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter before you plug it into the controller. The audio MUST be converted to mono somewhere in the chain of wires.

I've been doing that for a couple years now and I've become quite accustomed to it. The amount of wires I have in total is about the same I would have using a mixamp so it isn't that messy. Also, I have that one Intec adapter but stopped using it because I'd just unplug my mic from my controller if I wanted to mute myself. 

May 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,212 of 48,562

Quote:
I'm just using some random clip on mic w/ a mono plug that I found at a pawn shop. I connect it to my controller with with a Rocketfish 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter and that's it. The key to getting any mic to work with a 360 controller is to make sure you're sending the audio from the mic to the controller in MONO. Plugging in a mic with a stereo plug directly into the controller won't work well and you'll sound very faint. So if you have a stereo jack from something like the PC360 and want to plug it directly into the controller then you'll have to add a stereo to mono adapter then a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter before you plug it into the controller. The audio MUST be converted to mono somewhere in the chain of wires.

I've been doing that for a couple years now and I've become quite accustomed to it. The amount of wires I have in total is about the same I would have using a mixamp so it isn't that messy. Also, I have that one Intec adapter but stopped using it because I'd just unplug my mic from my controller if I wanted to mute myself. 

AWESOME. Thank you.

May 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,213 of 48,562

Quote:

I've tried the RX900.  I thought it was a little muddy, and the soundstage was kind of all over the place and small. 

Honestly, KSC75s would be better.

May 20, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #1,214 of 48,562
KSC75 for the budget gamer FTW.

No, seriously. Do it. Look at what I own, and believe me when I say that whenever I wanna relax when gaming, I use my KSC75, without any issue or feeling like I'm losing much. They're just that good.

May 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #1,215 of 48,562
Have you tried the KSC35 yet? I guess it's just the Porta Pro driver, but I wonder if it sounds any different. I always preferred the KSC75 over the Porta Pro.

I always felt one of the best $50 budget gaming headphones was the Beyer Dynamic DT-235. For being so cheap it's quite clear and has a decent soundstage.
Unfortunately it's closed, but I just installed it's guts into an old Sennheiser HD-497 shell to convert it to being open. This has got to be the best classical headphone for $50 EVER!

Can't wait to try it for gaming since it's soundstage is now HUGE! It also no longer has the bloated bass of the HD-497.

The nice thing about the DT-235 is that there is a mod you can do to make the mids much more forward. It involves taping off some vent holes.

I might buy one of those KSC35s, recable it with Mogami and attach it to my old Porta Pro headband.

BTW I'm sure you know this, but you can attach the KSC75 to an ultra cheap Parts Express Mini Headphone headband. Probably not needed, but some people might prefer that.

I recabled my KSC75 once with silver wire (had some left over) but it made everything sound too distant, but man was there some detail!!

KSC75 is stupid easy to recable and it only costs a few dollars. It's almost as if Koss added little doors to the solder area. Took me about 30 seconds to rewire them. No joke!

Quote:
KSC75 for the budget gamer FTW.

No, seriously. Do it. Look at what I own, and believe me when I say that whenever I wanna relax when gaming, I use my KSC75, without any issue or feeling like I'm losing much. They're just that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back