Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,231 of 48,568

Quote:
How is the noise floor on the mixamp?  The DSS has a pretty obvious noise floor.  

What headphones are you using with them?  Some headphones (high sensitivity + treble emphasis) will highlight noise more than others.

The Mixamp 5.8 is slightly quieter, but the wired mixamp is very quiet.  There's really no audible background noise with it.

If I'm actually playing a game, and not paused or loading, I don't take much issue with the noise.

May 23, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,232 of 48,568
Exactly. If you tried Grado's on them such as the SR-60i you would hear some static of hiss. Low sensitivity headphones like the K601 and K701/K702 won't have any noise at all.

Do not exclude your source from inducing noise as well. If using on the PC you may get some noise from the PSU on the PC. I have not run into this before as I have an aftermarket PSU on my PC but I suspect cheaper ones can do this.

Quote:
What headphones are you using with them?  Some headphones (high sensitivity + treble emphasis) will highlight noise more than others.

The Mixamp 5.8 is slightly quieter, but the wired mixamp is very quiet.  There's really no audible background noise with it.

If I'm actually playing a game, and not paused or loading, I don't take much issue with the noise.

May 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,234 of 48,568
A simple 1/4" to 3.5mm plug or cable will work. I recommend a cable, as the inputs on the mixamps don't hold robust plugs too well.

May 24, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,236 of 48,568

Quote:
I was actually asking about the noise floor to compare it to the DSS.  The DSS has a pretty prominent noise floor with ATH-AD700's

I know, I've tried them all with the AD700s.  The wired mixamp has the lowest noise floor.

Wired mixamp > Mixamp 5.8 > DSS

May 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,237 of 48,568
Where does the AX720 go? Hisses more than the DSS or less? It's hissy, for sure.

May 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,238 of 48,568

Quote:
Where does the AX720 go? Hisses more than the DSS or less? It's hissy, for sure.

Not sure, I've never heard the AX720. How much more does it hiss than the Mixamp 5.8?

May 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #1,239 of 48,568
Definitely more, but I wouldn't say it's a dealbreaker. Where the 5.8 hisses at loud volumes, the AX720 ALWAYS hisses. Though when you're busy playing, the hiss shouldn't be an issue unless you just wanna nitpick. Probably just a tad more than the 5.8's loudest.

May 25, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,240 of 48,568
I'm going to post a big review here later on all the headphones in my profile. For anyone who is curious, the Tesla T1's are the best gaming headphone ever. If you happen to have the money, go for it.

May 25, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,241 of 48,568

Quote:
Definitely more, but I wouldn't say it's a dealbreaker. Where the 5.8 hisses at loud volumes, the AX720 ALWAYS hisses. Though when you're busy playing, the hiss shouldn't be an issue unless you just wanna nitpick. Probably just a tad more than the 5.8's loudest.

Hmm.. that sounds like the AX720 might hiss more than the DSS. 

The Mixamp 5.8 actually hisses louder than the DSS when they both go past >60% volume and beyond.  The DSS never reaches 5.8 at loudest volume hiss, but it doesn't quite reach 5.8 at lowest volume hiss either. 

Normal hiss on the DSS      =  Mixamp 5.8 master volume in between 12 and 1 o'clock --> i.e., when it just starts to hit the amplification hiss
   Maximum hiss on the DSS  =  Mixamp 5.8 master volume in between 1 and 2 o'clock
        - Those are with the Mixamp 5.8 set to 50/50 game voice balance ^.
        - The DSS maximum hiss is definitely less than anything past 2 o'clock on the 5.8 at 50/50 balance.

Makes me wonder if the DSS would be a better preamp than the 5.8 , since its quieter at its louder volumes near the line out levels.

May 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,242 of 48,568
Why does the FiiO E7 do absolutely nothing for me? I've tried 10 different headphones, and the max volume/hiss is exactly the same as when plugged straight into my Mixamp 5.8. I'm plugging the included 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable into the E7 and into the mixamp, then the headphone itself into the E7. What's wrong here?

May 25, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,243 of 48,568
Don't feel bad. The E7 has a very low decibel boost. I've been telling people for ages that the E5/E7 are NOT worthy as additional volume boosting for the Mixamps. You should use the E9 for that purpose, not the E7.

May 25, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #1,244 of 48,568
Am I the only one that uses high-end Audio-Technicas to game or someone else out there does it too?

I found the W5000 have the best presentation of ambient sound, warzone rumbles, gunfire from distance sounds great. They are awesome for RTS gaming. The positioning is great on them too, but they seems to diffuse a bit compare to being a pin point source.

AD1000PRM is just too awesome for FPS, positioning is pin-point and sense of depth and distances is very noticeable. It is so noticeable that I can accurately shoot through walls with sound (got me banned from a few servers due to that). The low bass quantity is great for games with chaotic battlefield, like TF2 and such. Downside of this is that it does not sound as full as more bassy headphones.

My A2000X is still burning in, but so far it is very similar to the AD1000PRM in games, not sure will the sound changes further.

May 25, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #1,245 of 48,568

Quote:
Am I the only one that uses high-end Audio-Technicas to game or someone else out there does it too?

I found the W5000 have the best presentation of ambient sound, warzone rumbles, gunfire from distance sounds great. They are awesome for RTS gaming. The positioning is great on them too, but they seems to diffuse a bit compare to being a pin point source.

AD1000PRM is just too awesome for FPS, positioning is pin-point and sense of depth and distances is very noticeable. It is so noticeable that I can accurately shoot through walls with sound (got me banned from a few servers due to that). The low bass quantity is great for games with chaotic battlefield, like TF2 and such. Downside of this is that it does not sound as full as more bassy headphones.

My A2000X is still burning in, but so far it is very similar to the AD1000PRM in games, not sure will the sound changes further.

FWIW, I very nearly got a A900 for gaming, but chose a DT880 because...I wanted something that required amping. Haha. Don't judge me, it was my first proper full-sized.

How critical are audio positioning cues for RTS? I would have thought that the mini map takes care of alerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back