Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 19, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #1,186 of 48,566

Quote:
I just blame the stupid fact that you have to run a cable from the controller to the amps for voice chat. It's a hassle, which is why I tend to not play with voice chat.

Yep, thats a design limitation of the 360, requiring all voice to pass through the controller.  The controllers just sending it wirelessly to the xbox anyways.  We'll have to wait for the next-gen xbox for a better design...

Speaking of which, I hope the designers of the next Xbox take a good hard look at headphone/headset gaming and factor that in when they designing the hardware and software (*hint* license dolby headphone).

May 19, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #1,188 of 48,566

Quote:
MS clearly only thought of headsets + speakers when they designed the audio for XBL. Sigh.

Ya, they weren't very forward thinking in that regard.  They made their dinky communicator headset and stopped at that. 

Microsoft taken note of the recent explosion in gaming headsets though (which Astro + MLG played a large role in IMO).  Microsofts making some licensed partnerships with Tritton/MadCatz in the gaming headset space b/c they want in the action now.

May 19, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #1,190 of 48,566
I wish I could make it my xbox gamerpic :p  I'd probably get a lot of hatemail/jealous envy.

May 19, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #1,191 of 48,566
-- "Get Roflpwned Noob!!"     
      --  "What?!! His HPX's beat my $1700 Headzone 5.1 Surround System!!!" 

May 19, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,193 of 48,566
The Steelseries audio mixer blows chunks, like major ones. As soon as it gets powered, you are greeted with an overwhelming amount of static. You will not be able to hear footsteps over the static. I really can't express how bad the product is besides saying that I returned it within 18hrs of buying it. There is no saving that piece of crap.

The Nox audio would have been awesome but you have to use the included usb decoder in order to use the mixer. The mixer attaches to the soundcard/dongle with a 5pin usb cable. I looked into it because I wanted to use it with my harman kardon receiver but there's no way to hook it up to my receiver.

Stick to astro or tritton if you want to mix in chat audio with game audio. For me though, I just plug a mic directly into my controller and set my voice preferences to output audio to my speakers while I use my Ultrasone Hfi-2200 with DH.

May 19, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #1,195 of 48,566

Quote:
The Steelseries audio mixer blows chunks, like major ones. As soon as it gets powered, you are greeted with an overwhelming amount of static. You will not be able to hear footsteps over the static. I really can't express how bad the product is besides saying that I returned it within 18hrs of buying it. There is no saving that piece of crap.

The Nox audio would have been awesome but you have to use the included usb decoder in order to use the mixer. The mixer attaches to the soundcard/dongle with a 5pin usb cable. I looked into it because I wanted to use it with my harman kardon receiver but there's no way to hook it up to my receiver.

Stick to astro or tritton if you want to mix in chat audio with game audio. For me though, I just plug a mic directly into my controller and set my voice preferences to output audio to my speakers while I use my Ultrasone Hfi-2200 with DH.

Thank you, from the bottom of my gamer's heart. That saved me a ton of time, money and disappointment--especially since I was thinking of buying the Audio Mixer as a gift.

Which mic do you use, that plugs into the 360 controller?

May 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #1,196 of 48,566
I almost got caught up in the Astro A40 system hype till I realized I have a perfectly good pair of Denon D2K's, why invest in another pair of cans?

I'm gonna pick up the wireless Astro mixamp and rock the D2Ks.

What are people using for a mic with these headphones?, I don't chat much while gaming but sometimes I do need a mic.

May 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,197 of 48,566
Anyone tried the Superlux HD668B for gaming? How is it? It might be a cheap option because it's only $40-$50.
I imagine the soundstage is probably comparable to that of the Semi-Open AKG K240 Studio, which is nothing special.

On the Superlux website it says it's frequency response is similar to the DT-990. Maybe they have too much bass for gaming.

I hope it's mids are more forward than those of the DT-990 I had.

May 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,198 of 48,566

Quote:
Anyone tried the Superlux HD668B for gaming? How is it? It might be a cheap option because it's only $40-$50.
I imagine the soundstage is probably comparable to that of the Semi-Open AKG K240 Studio, which is nothing special.

On the Superlux website it says it's frequency response is similar to the DT-990. Maybe they have too much bass for gaming.

I hope it's mids are more forward than those of the DT-990 I had.

I've been curious about that as well.  I get the feeling the soundstage will be just medium sized - K240 ish.  But it wouldn't hurt to try them....

May 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,199 of 48,566
I almost got caught up in the Astro A40 system hype till I realized I have a perfectly good pair of Denon D2K's, why invest in another pair of cans?

What are people using for a mic with these headphones?, I don't chat much while gaming but sometimes I do need a mic.

Problem is, the D2000 might have too much bass to hear the subtle details you need to hear. That's why I recommend a nice fun headphone like your D2000 as well as a balanced to slightly bass light headphone for when you're being more competitive.

As for mics, the Deal Extreme clip on mic (like $3 or less), works as good as the mic on my PC360. No kidding.

May 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,200 of 48,566

Quote:
Quote:

Problem is, the D2000 might have too much bass to hear the subtle details you need to hear. That's why I recommend a nice fun headphone like your D2000 as well as a balanced to slightly bass light headphone for when you're being more competitive.

As for mics, the Deal Extreme clip on mic (like $3 or less), works as good as the mic on my PC360. No kidding.

I use D2Ks for gaming (with Astro Mixamp 5.8) and I can't say i agree with you about missing the subtle details.  The only time that may actually be an issue is if you're using the bass boost feature on the mixamp, but short of that I've had no trouble picking up plenty of detail with my setup. I think Croozer is in for a treat -- he can always get another set of headphones down the line if he feels like you do about it though.  In the end, it's all about personal preference.  

Your post reminded me that I bought one of those deal extreme clip ons but haven't bothered to try it out yet!  Gotta remember where I put it now....  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back