Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 22, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #48,481 of 48,562
Adapter is called BT-W2. You pair it with the X7 and then plug it into the PS4 and set headset output to chat audio. Creative adapter is not the only one that would work on PS4 though, all adapters that advertise themselves as usb audio devices will work.
Has anyone tried other dongles besides the w2 that pair with the x7? Do they all provide the same functionality as the w2 via the app etc? For some reason I was under the impression that the w2 was the only one that would seamlessly stay paired with the x7 even after power cycling etc. as well as maintain adjustability via the x7 app. I would be interested in a better option if someone has tried other dongles...

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #48,482 of 48,562
If you game on PC,

Not sure if this is tied to a purchase, but the Steelseries GG software has a very useful virtual surround option that works on all headphones. It's really good. I set to 100% immersive, and 67% room size, and those rear audio cues sound really distinct. 100% immersion may be a bit too spaced back, so many set to 67% there as well. But yeah, works incredibly well.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #48,483 of 48,562
First, congrats for this good thread!

So i'm trying to step-up from my DT 900 Pro X headphones and searching for the best fit for my use cases.
FPS Gaming, Metal music and movie watching.

Anyone on this thread already tried the Ananda Nano's for these use cases? Any feedback on how they perform would be amazing :)

If not, any ideas on what a step up from the 900 Pro X would be up to a budget of around 750Euros?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #48,484 of 48,562
First, congrats for this good thread!

So i'm trying toI'mep up from my DT 900 Pro X headphones and searching for the best fit for my use cases.
FPS Gaming, Metal music and movie watching.

Anyone on this thread already tried the Ananda Nano's for these use cases? Any feedback on how they perform would be amazing :)

If not, any ideas on what a step up from the 900 Pro X would be up to a budget of around 750Euros?
https://kennerton.org/category/dynamic/

Some Kennerton Magni :)

Nov 18, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #48,487 of 48,562
Is the soundstage size and imaging the same for AD900x & AD700X ?

How do they compare to K702 in terms of soundstage size and imaging ?
Personal experience, the AD700 has a hair more “holographic” sense of imaging (directionality, different layers of distance) than the AD 900, and it’s a bit easier to drive than the K702 so if you’re just using gaming DAC/amps, an Apple Dongle, or running audio straight off a tower PC Mobo or laptop headphone jack, you might hear more of the AD700’s potential than the K702’s.

However, the AD700x does so at the cost of timbral balance, with thin bass. The Q701, K712 Pro, and K612 Pro were more well-rounded in timbre and physical comfort (the wide contact surface of the AD700 pads touched my ears and kinda pinned them back, which is part of their intended method of interacting with your outer ears), so overall I preferred the AKGs as an upgrade, but for pure competitive gaming the AD-700x will be hard to beat anywhere near their price. AD700, Sony MDR-MA900 are god tier soundstage and imaging but they sacrificed a natural sound and bass extension into sub-bass lows to get there, AKG K712 Pro and K702 and HD 800S are all god-tier as well, and scale up higher when you use good amplification and audio components. We’re kinda used to boosted bass though, so most people would be more happy with still rather elite soundstage (Demi-gods?) of other headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #48,488 of 48,562
With all the mess happening in the world I guess it’s difficult to get your hands on this brand, at least in Europe :frowning2:
Might be. Apos Audio is one store that seems to stock them, I don’t know how.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #48,489 of 48,562
Personal experience, the AD700 has a hair more “holographic” sense of imaging (directionality, different layers of distance) than the AD 900,

By a hair you mean the difference is negligible ? I bought the AD900x. I remember owning the closed back version A700x … it was very "beautiful" sounding but for some reason, I sold it.

I am going to buy the Q701 as well, does it sound very different when compared to K702 ? How about when changing pads to memory foam(K712) pads ? what about cheap memory foam pads sold on eBay and amazon ?

I also have the MA900...how does MA900 compare with AD900x and K702/Q701 ?

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #48,490 of 48,562
MA900 has a little more mid bass presence, is warmer tonally, with smoother treble. It's kind of a miracle headphone for its design.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #48,491 of 48,562
By a hair you mean the difference is negligible ? I bought the AD900x. I remember owning the closed back version A700x … it was very "beautiful" sounding but for some reason, I sold it.

I am going to buy the Q701 as well, does it sound very different when compared to K702 ? How about when changing pads to memory foam(K712) pads ? what about cheap memory foam pads sold on eBay and amazon ?

I also have the MA900...how does MA900 compare with AD900x and K702/Q701 ?
The AD700x and AD900x would have closely comparable performance and detail, they contrast in just a slight tweak to loudness of certain sound notes (frequency response curve). The A700, on the other hand, is quite different; a store sent me an A700 TWICE by mistake when I had ordered the open-backed AD700, they tried to play it off as a more expensive headphone and preferred by some people, but I wasn’t having it (and demanded compensation for refusing to correctly fulfill my order for a month). As a closed-back headphone, the A700 seemed to have a bit more midbass due to resonance, but that cuppy/cave like sound shrank the sense of soundstage depth and snappy detail enough that it took away from what made the AD700 special for competitive gaming.

Q701 has more bass emphasis and a bit of a fatter bass sound than the K701, not quite sure first-hand how much the K702 deviates from the K701. The fatter bass sounds a bit more solid bodied and I think some music conveys the emotion of “threat” or foreboding a bit better, objectively it’s like thunder having more rumble (something that caught my attention with the Vault of Glass raid in Destiny, enjoyably). For me, it was a worthwhile upgrade in tuning and comfort over the AD700 with very minimal trade-off, though the AD700 was easier to drive and reach its potential on weaker amplifiers and equipment. The K712 Pro rumbles less and has a clearer sound, I think the K712 Pro also have tighter tolerances and driver matching, though it does have a noticeable 3dB midbass increase over the K702. I don’t regret the educational steps of my journey to reach the K712 Pro, and I enjoyed each prior headphone for about three years before upgrading, but yes the K712 Pro was all-around my favorite up until that point (this was before I tried Sennheisers).

Mad was so kind as to lend me his MA900 back in the day. It did have more midbass than the AD700 and there was something special about the mids, which I kind of miss and I still think now, 10 years later, that it would be fun to own one. I also think their angled, vented, and extremely open sound was unique in a special, positive way. However, I found it’s sub bass extension poor, and at the time I found the AKG Q701 to be a better all-rounder that sounded as good for music and movies as well as gaming, while the MA900 sounded anemic and “not how the director intended” when I tried using it to watch the movie Dredd. If you ask me today, I would easily pick either an AKG K612 Pro or Sennheiser HD 560S over the MA900, K712 Pro or HD 660S if you can afford those, because they satisfy me more for a full variety of audio.

I am excited about the grell OAE1, which is coming out soonish (maybe after Christmas, but I don’t actually know), because it looks to combine the tuning expertise of the HD 650 and HD 660S with the angled drivers of the HD 598 / HD 800S, the BioDynamic drivers of the Fostex TH-600 series, and an enclosure openness of the MA900, all into one headphone. I haven’t heard the varieties of work-in-progress prototypes that started being demonstrated at trade shows early this year, but on paper each of those features listed above have long been on my wish list but never combined into one before. The Fostex open back flagship TH-909 got close, and that was quite a fun (and beautiful) headphone, but that didn’t feature angled drivers either I think, and isn’t nearly as open as the grell OAE1 will be, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back