Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 24, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #48,511 of 48,566
I heard it at Canjam Dallas. I actually preferred it over the Ragnarok or Mjonir or whatever they had as the high end there.

That and the Midgard sounded absolutely stellar to me. If I didn't already have the Jot 2, I would have one of those at home by now.

Just don't ask me for why I liked it over X and Y. Just thought it sounded great with the 800 which is a headphone I like off very few gear.
That sounds promising! Basically I want something as an entry point into proper* computer audio, for both gaming and music. I'm currently using the wireless ModMic so I don't need anything with a mic input like the Fulla or Hel for instance. So an all-in-one desktop solution with great sound and the ability to drive a variety of headphones would be ideal. Think I'll go for it in the new year, once I've redecorated the home office.

*not onboard

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #48,512 of 48,566
Happy holidays to everyone!

Anybody know the situation with Nintendo Switch and LPCM 5.1 over USB and 'VSS' capable DACs? Apparently it was a feature silently added a few years back, I've seen a few random threads around the net (Links: [1] [2]) about how a select few devices can create true virtualized 5.1 sound from the 5.1 LPCM output.

Creatives G6 and the SXFI/X1 amp are two devices mentioned in those threads which led me to test out my X3 and GC7 (this one being released after G6 iirc) DACs but it doesn't sound like it's VSS derived from 5.1 but upmixed stereo, kind of strange that none of the Creative literature singles out the G6 or X1 as being unique. Interestingly, I did find this one comment from a Creative rep:
switchaudio.jpg

It seems the person who got the reply took it that it was just an upmix but I'm reading it as the rep saying it it does true virtualization as a result of the 5.1 LPMC.

I think I might track down one of the reported compatible devices eventually but would be curious to hear from anyone here who has dabbled in the dark arts that is getting VSS from the Switch.

Here's hoping newer surround sound capable headphone DACs will support HDMI in the future and simplify the problem.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #48,513 of 48,566

Anybody know the situation with Nintendo Switch and LPCM 5.1 over USB and 'VSS' capable DACs? Apparently it was a feature silently added a few years back, I've seen a few random threads around the net (Links: [1] [2]) about how a select few devices can create true virtualized 5.1 sound from the 5.1 LPCM output.

Creatives G6 and the SXFI/X1 amp are two devices mentioned in those threads which led me to test out my X3 and GC7 (this one being released after G6 iirc) DACs but it doesn't sound like it's VSS derived from 5.1 but upmixed stereo, kind of strange that none of the Creative literature singles out the G6 or X1 as being unique. Interestingly, I did find this one comment from a Creative rep:
switchaudio.jpg
It seems the person who got the reply took it that it was just an upmix but I'm reading it as the rep saying it it does true virtualization as a result of the 5.1 LPMC.

I think I might track down one of the reported compatible devices eventually but would be curious to hear from anyone here who has dabbled in the dark arts that is getting VSS from the Switch.

Here's hoping newer surround sound capable headphone DACs will support HDMI in the future and simplify the problem.
I thought the benefit of the G6 was using it over optical to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 from the console to HRTF. I suppose you could do it via PCM if the Switch supports the USB connection, and config the unit to be 5.1 / 7.1 first before connecting to the Switch.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #48,514 of 48,566
I thought the benefit of the G6 was using it over optical to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 from the console to HRTF. I suppose you could do it via PCM if the Switch supports the USB connection, and config the unit to be 5.1 / 7.1 first before connecting to the Switch.
Sadly the Switch doesn't have optical/ support DD 5.1. I've seen someone confirm that they couldn't get the G6 to take the LPCM 5.1 over USB but they did get it working with the GSX1000. I did ask for clarification from the Creative rep but not heard back yet, I guess I'll look in to picking up a GSX1000 next

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #48,517 of 48,566
Haven't been watching CES coverage... Anything interesting on show in the gaming/PC audio space?
I’m personally excited about the AR glasses space… we’ll have to see what else comes around

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #48,518 of 48,566

I thought Ryan Schlieper was a good rep for Creative… after he left, it was really hard to get in contact with Creative (and I kind of gave up).

I will agree that the above post is confusing. The Creative G6 relies on (micro) USB for power; for PC’s, this also is used for audio data, but in handheld mode I don’t know if the Switch would support that. Might have more luck in docked mode, like when smartphones could connect to more peripherals and DACs if the DAC was connected to a powered USB hub?
The nice thing about PCM is that it’s more universal than Dolby encoding/compression. LPCM is lossless; I don’t know if the higher resolution is as widely compatible or compatible with the creative G6 (though it works with most modern speaker AVR’s/Receivers, which is probably how Nintendo intendo Switch gamers to access surround sound).

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #48,524 of 48,566
Well maybe it’s getting updates, but can a new user still buy it?
Not last time I checked, sadly.

Ryan still promptly answers support questions though, so anyone lucky enough to have a license is still good. But yeah I would love to try out a similarly great and available competitor (that didn't cost $4000 and didn't screw over presale customers *cough* Realiser *cough*).

I have a bunch of Creative hardware sitting around unused, since they never got over their weird fixation on locking down SBX audio outputs.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #48,525 of 48,566
Not last time I checked, sadly.

Ryan still promptly answers support questions though, so anyone lucky enough to have a license is still good. But yeah I would love to try out a similarly great and available competitor (that didn't cost $4000 and didn't screw over presale customers *cough* Realiser *cough*).

I have a bunch of Creative hardware sitting around unused, since they never got over their weird fixation on locking down SBX audio outputs.
Waves NX has been reborn into Steelseries GG, which is free to use, but if you want Advanced features, you have to buy one of their headphones. Still, it works well.

Windows Sonic is a lot better these days, and Dolby Access / DTS Sound Abound are still sold or bundled with hardware. (My laptop came with a Dolby Access license)

Asus' SS3 is a Nahimic solution.

Razer sells THX Surround, but I am not a fan of that solution.

I still prefer a solution that uses a virtual sound device, because I can keep that as default, and use it with gaming, and have my audio apps output direct to my DAC. This way I can keep my music from being processed while I game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back