Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 19, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #48,212 of 48,562
Hey I am looking to buy the ATH-R70x for purely gaming, but I don’t really play fps. Just curious would they sound good for immersive gaming for example lately been play WoW, Guild wars 2, Vallheim, god of war, assassin creed Valhalla, dying light 2 to give you some examples. I been seeing mixed reviews some saying they are amazing while others say not so much for immersive but excellent for fps

Thanks for all the advice and happy holidays

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #48,213 of 48,562
Has anyone tested the 3D headphone option used in the Witcher 3 next gen update. Its concerning the lack of native Dolby Atmos headphone support in games lately. What was the last release, MW2 / Warzone 2.0? I noticed the Dead Space remake will use EA own Frostbite binaural audio, I assume similar to NFS UnBound and BF2024. Only "Spatial Sound" is listed as a feature in Xbox's official page.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #48,214 of 48,562
Hey I am looking to buy the ATH-R70x for purely gaming, but I don’t really play fps. Just curious would they sound good for immersive gaming for example lately been play WoW, Guild wars 2, Vallheim, god of war, assassin creed Valhalla, dying light 2 to give you some examples. I been seeing mixed reviews some saying they are amazing while others say not so much for immersive but excellent for fps

The R70X is known for great imaging and a good balance of warmth and neutrality, so should be ideal for gaming. Also nice and light.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #48,215 of 48,562

I've been very happy with mine for general gaming. I trade off between the R70X and the M1570, whichever I feel like using at the time. Different sounds from each but both excellent for games.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #48,218 of 48,562
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #48,219 of 48,562
Boy she pretty. But I would want a legit X7 successor. That's their best dac/amp by a long mile. It's strange they haven't bothered to update it.
Agreed! I could definitely see a proper new x7 on this new platform. I have a feeling that if and when it comes, it likely won’t live up to everyone’s expectations as far as features go. Every new gaming device seems to give less and less nowadays.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #48,220 of 48,562
https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Not quite the x7 successor we are all hoping for , but a step in the right direction!

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhh i would love a comparison to the g6. Love my g6, but this looks like a step up. And also: Insert random salty comment that xbox does not support usb-sound without licence... Could go the optical through tv route thay my g6 uses, but god damn just let me pay a little bit extra for it to work with xbox.

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #48,221 of 48,562
This isn’t an article about headphones but it’s really interesting regarding 3D sound design in games.

Who knew former EA DICE audio
designers started a studio and worked on God of War Ragnarok, Halo, Horizons Forbidden West, Dead Space, Returnal – and many more.

https://headlinermagazine.net/ben-m...th-one-in-a-million-chance-of-it-playing.html

One of the most interesting parts below. EA’s “3D headphone” on games like BF2042 or NFS UnBound work with Atmos if I understand it correctly.

“The first implementation we did was Atmos over HDMI, so that's the format where you need to put it into an amp and then it breaks it out into the discrete speakers. After that, because there were different systems both on Sony Xbox and PC – with Peter Bliss, who's based at Criterion in the UK, we actually developed our own 3D solution as well so we could be platform-agnostic.

This helps us on the mixing stage, because then we just mix to that one target, and then it can be translated onto any platform that we work on down the lines. So the EA Dice titles currently working with the Frostbite engine utilise that 3D system, and it is translatable to the Tempest system and then to Atmos as well.”

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #48,223 of 48,562
Are there any DACs on the market that will play audio from two input sources at the same time just like how the Creative X7 does? I am looking for USB and optical as the two inputs.
Seems like your looking for something like an Audio Interface or a mixer.

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #48,224 of 48,562
Let me ask this then. Does anyone know if a mixer/interface exists that has a USB and an optical input as well as an optical output for using my own DAC? I can accomplish this with my Creative X7, but I am wondering if there is anything else out there since the X7 is no longer obtainable anywhere.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #48,225 of 48,562
Let me ask this then. Does anyone know if a mixer/interface exists that has a USB and an optical input as well as an optical output for using my own DAC? I can accomplish this with my Creative X7, but I am wondering if there is anything else out there since the X7 is no longer obtainable anywhere.
Creative X4 has optical in & out as well as USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back