Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 1, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #48,166 of 48,562
I have one. SXFi is fantastic, although I have not used it in a little bit so I cannot speak to any firmware issues that may have cropped up. (I think there may have been some recent issues, don't know if they were resolved.).

It allows for use of SXFi on consoles, which is nice. But it does not allow for any line-out of SXFi to a more powerful amp, which is annoying and remains an issue with all SXFi devices as far as I am aware. (Again haven't looked into the ecosystem in a while someone can correct me if I am wrong.)

Unless you need the additional inputs/microphone outputs, or use a console, the SXFi dongle, which is like $60 or something, has the same SXFi capabilities and honestly I hear no difference between the two, even with high quality cans like the HD800S.
Thank you for the reply just curious what do you use recently for amp/dac and virtual sound

Thanks for help

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #48,167 of 48,562
Thank you for the reply just curious what do you use recently for amp/dac and virtual sound

Thanks for help
Currently use Schiit Modius balanced out to Monoprice THX 887 balanced to either HE6se or HD800S, with Redscape (software on PC) for surround audio.

Redscape is very good with surround audio like SXFi, but the ability to basically use it with whatever I want is what made me switch.

Dec 1, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #48,168 of 48,562
I still use the Ultrasone HFI-780 for gaming. I only play single player games. I was using the Denon D2000 for the longest time. They were my upgrade from the Ultrasone's but I need to fix the Denon's. Going back to the Ultrasone's though, they are a fun headphone.

There's a lot of digging through this thread that I have to do I guess, but what would be a good replacement for the Ultrasone's now? Past few months I've started to get back into the audio and gaming world. Below $500 CDN. Thought about the Penrose but I prefer wired since I'm purely single player and movies/tv. Not opposed to wireless though.
I just got to hear my first Ultrasone, the Signature X! I definitely think Mad would describe it as “immersive,” I would say it has a “Dj” tuning because it has bass emphasis and a bit of darkness in the upper mids. The S-Logic 3 does give it surprisingly good soundstage for a closed back headphone! The only thing I have against it is I don’t like pleather pads, especially ones designed to be partially circumaural so that the edge of the pads lays your ears against your head. I am also team velour and anti pleather, though I think I tolerate pleather better than Mad does in the florida heat (it’s 32°F / 0°C where I am right now). some people love pads like this (my wife among them), so take it with a grain of salt, but I only would wear these Ultrasone for an hour before giving my ears a physical break.

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #48,170 of 48,562
New Penrose model incoming?
Dec 8th…

3BB9E85D-D40F-4704-B888-41675BEABF56.jpeg

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #48,171 of 48,562
Does anybody know if the Schiit Fulla 3e is compatible with the Ps5? I am looking for a good DAC which is compatible with my PS5 and PC..
I really like the Steel Series new GameDAC 2 but depends on how much power you need.
The GameDAC 2 is very flexible and I use my wired Nova’s and H6 Pros on my PS5, Mac and Series X. Further with Sonar you have even more tuning options on PC. Using the DAC w/ open back H6 Pros sound incredible playing MW2 multi and with 24 bit audio from PS5. Yes, arguably there’s not a lot difference between 16 & 24 bit but it’s nice to have a little more detail even if it’s not noticeable.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #48,172 of 48,562
New Penrose model incoming?
Dec 8th…

Super excited about this. The headband looks like a huge improvement from the current model. If the range issues have also been fixed, I'm in for a pair. Hopefully there will be a preorder discount. There's already some info out in the wild about it having 3X increased range over the Penrose, and 80+ hour battery. The mic also sounds promising about filtering out background noise. For me, the mic is just as important as the sound, since I'm usually in party chat.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #48,173 of 48,562
Does anybody know if the Schiit Fulla 3e is compatible with the Ps5? I am looking for a good DAC which is compatible with my PS5 and PC..
It is fully compatible. If you like simplicity, that's as simple as it gets. I'm a fan.

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #48,174 of 48,562
Super excited about this. The headband looks like a huge improvement from the current model. If the range issues have also been fixed, I'm in for a pair. Hopefully there will be a preorder discount. There's already some info out in the wild about it having 3X increased range over the Penrose, and 80+ hour battery. The mic also sounds promising about filtering out background noise. For me, the mic is just as important as the sound, since I'm usually in party chat.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #48,177 of 48,562
Yeah, give it a few months. Also better for these headsets to mature than dissapoint.
Also I'd be down for a even superior headset if Audeze is up for it. A limited 799/899 release? Why not.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #48,179 of 48,562
So the Maxwell comes in 2 flavors: PS/PC and Xbox/PC, with the latter including a license for Dolby Atmos, and is $50 more. So I guess you get the PS/PC one if you already have Dolby Atmos for your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back