Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #48,121 of 48,562
Speaking about the Epos. I was seriously considering the purchase until I read that the pads are shallow. Not sure if the pads can be modded. Super curious how they sound though.

Comfort means the most to me now. In hindsight, when comparing the comfort of the X2HR's with third party pads. Senns 5xx - 6xx only had decent comfort in comparison.

Also speaking about these second generation headsets. Some of them fit tighter than their predecessors. Two hands on examples would be the Rig 500 pro, now owned by a different company, also the Astro A10's. The Rigs have shallow pads now, and, the A10's used to be clunky, larger headroom, and the cups WERE actually over the ear.

Anyways. Instead of having a standalone mic and headphones, I was looking at closed back headset options.

Other headsets I've tried and returned.

Arctic Nova Pro
Hyper X Cloud Orbits

Might just keep using my standalone mic, and find uber comfortable closed back headphones when it calls for them. Before anyone mentions Beyer. No comment on those plastic pieces that hold the metal together. Beyer does have a newer, streamlined fasteners.

beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-perspective.jpeg

With the headband fasteners being enclosed, I wonder if that inturn added more durability.

Looked at the VZR model one? supposed to be good, if i had the funds i would love to give it a try.

For pc-gaming i have a pair of fostex t50rp modded and paired with a v moda boom mic. Wonderful sound but can't be used on my xbox series x tough if i want to use party chat as the controller don't have the power to run it. If i use my dac/amp on my xbox i get the power to drive them, but can´t chat in a party.

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #48,122 of 48,562
Speaking about the Epos. I was seriously considering the purchase until I read that the pads are shallow. Not sure if the pads can be modded. Super curious how they sound though.

Comfort means the most to me now. In hindsight, when comparing the comfort of the X2HR's with third party pads. Senns 5xx - 6xx only had decent comfort in comparison.

Also speaking about these second generation headsets. Some of them fit tighter than their predecessors. Two hands on examples would be the Rig 500 pro, now owned by a different company, also the Astro A10's. The Rigs have shallow pads now, and, the A10's used to be clunky, larger headroom, and the cups WERE actually over the ear.

Anyways. Instead of having a standalone mic and headphones, I was looking at closed back headset options.

Other headsets I've tried and returned.

Arctic Nova Pro
Hyper X Cloud Orbits

Might just keep using my standalone mic, and find uber comfortable closed back headphones when it calls for them. Before anyone mentions Beyer. No comment on those plastic pieces that hold the metal together. Beyer does have a newer, streamlined fasteners.

With the headband fasteners being enclosed, I wonder if that in-turn added more durability.
A couple points to consider:
A closed back headphone is a whole different discussion than brands and pads... Closed headphones offer more environmental versatility, but when you get used to comparing closed headphones side by side with open headphones, you realize that you really have to need that closed seal off from the environment to justify the loss in sound quality. If you're looking at closed headphones, I would recommend adding the AKG K371 to your shortlist... it's getting a lot of reviews and frequent recommendations (but I haven't heard it yet, so I am not giving it thumbs up or down).

Second, comfort. Comfort is important to most audiophiles, and IMO especially gamers because we tend to lose track of time and have longer listening/playing sessions (no offense to music listeners who lose track of two or three hours). That said, pad depth has an inverse correlation with sound quality. The deeper your pads, the more diffuse and softened the sound is in a headphone (arguably true with loudspeakers too, the cheap seats in concerts suck). More front air volume (more air between the front of the driver & your eardrum) = more resistance/acoustic impedance. In my experience, Beyer and AKG pads are about the same depth as Sennheisers. I assume you tried the HD 58X and HD 6XX? The HD 500* series that are still in production (like the HD 560S, HD 599) share an earcup/enclosure design that is mostly the same as the PC38X/PC37X if you ignore the boom mic and volume dial. The Audeze LCD series have absolutely MASSIVE pads... but even they, I think, have a depth within a few millimeters of the HD 600's pad depth. I also had my perspective on thick pads changed by the HD 800: it has really thin pads, but the earcup is deep so my ears don't touch at all, and the caliper pressure is distributed evenly over a very wide area, so it doesn't need to be squishy (people with really pronounced cheekbones may want more squishy and easily compressed pads).

As long as your ear doesn't touch the driver (and I prefer no part of the pad touching my ear either, though obviously that's what on-ear designs like Koss and Grado's use, but less obviously the bowl-like pads on Audio Technica AD900 also does), you would ideally want the driver to be as close to your eardrum and surface of your ear as possible.

I think it's interesting that the HD 500 series* actually has a smaller driver, but a larger earpad/earcup opening than the HD 600 series. Some people find the HD 600 series more comfortable if they have wider/more extended ear shapes anyways, because there is a boxed-off flat area at the back of the HD 500 series cups to try and reflect some sound behind the ear towards the side of your head (part of that angled earcup design). My ears don't touch this (and never applies pressure to my ears) unless I wear the earcups positioned forward on my head towards my face, BUT ears are different and if you know this happens with you on an HD 560S, then it would probably also happen with the PC 38X.

*Excluding the HD 58X Jubilee, because it uses the HD 600 series enclosure.

~~~~~~~~~
Anyway, hopefully some of this info is helpful to you. I'm curious what you'll eventually go for... but don't worry, it's a headphone, not a spouse :gs1000smile:

Looked at the VZR model one? supposed to be good, if i had the funds i would love to give it a try.

For pc-gaming i have a pair of fostex t50rp modded and paired with a v moda boom mic. Wonderful sound but can't be used on my xbox series x tough if i want to use party chat as the controller don't have the power to run it. If i use my dac/amp on my xbox i get the power to drive them, but can´t chat in a party.
Who makes the VZR? Sounds like someone from Skullcandy's marketing department came up with the name (which is not a slight!).
I also have a Fostex T50RP (a special edition made for Drop, the TH-X0 mk II, that included mod experimentation materials), and you're absolutely right... that thing is a power hungry beast!! It's my poster child example for why the sensitivity matters so much more on a spec sheet than impedance, when you're trying to calculate amping requirements. It requires almost another quarter turn on my big desktop amp to match the volume of my HD 800, haha! The T50RP sounds pretty great though, I personally enjoy my sample TH-X0 mk II more than my HD 650 on most occasions.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #48,123 of 48,562
Who makes the VZR? Sounds like someone from Skullcandy's marketing department came up with the name (which is not a slight!).
I also have a Fostex T50RP (a special edition made for Drop, the TH-X0 mk II, that included mod experimentation materials), and you're absolutely right... that thing is a power hungry beast!! It's my poster child example for why the sensitivity matters so much more on a spec sheet than impedance, when you're trying to calculate amping requirements. It requires almost another quarter turn on my big desktop amp to match the volume of my HD 800, haha! The T50RP sounds pretty great though, I personally enjoy my sample TH-X0 mk II more than my HD 650 on most occasions.
Yeah vzr doesn’t exactly sound hifi, but look them up. Made by people that were responsible for developing audio at apple. The price is kind of steep tough for a not so well known brand.

I turned my fostex in to mayflower 1, and added lambskin pads from zmf. Great sound, wonderful comfort.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #48,124 of 48,562
Yeah vzr doesn’t exactly sound hifi, but look them up. Made by people that were responsible for developing audio at apple. The price is kind of steep tough for a not so well known brand.

I turned my fostex in to mayflower 1, and added lambskin pads from zmf. Great sound, wonderful comfort.
Well Foster (parent of Fostex) was making the transducers for Apple last time I checked, not sure if that changed, and I don't know who their chief of acoustic design is. I imagine lots of people have come and gone at Apple's audio department, so the chief designer would be most interesting to me. I think the main push for the Airpod Pro and Max's sound quality doesn't come from the transducer or shell design (no offense, I'm sure someone worked really hard and long on those! And I'm hoping I find the APP2's shell more comfortable, so your efforts are appreciated!), but a focus on DSP and filter software programming. We're still not able to take advantage of Apple's lossless library with Apple's headphone products yet, but I definitely still appreciate the lossless library being there and at such a great price!!! (I do wish WiFi and 5G streaming quality were separated in apple's settings menu... I get 5G in a lot of places where I can't appreciate lossless quality and would rather have the battery savings of AAC for my phone, but at home I want that great quality over wifi!!).

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #48,125 of 48,562
Right now, I’m still using a Creative Labs BlasterX G5. EPOS makes their own equivalent DAC/amp that costs less, but I’ve been happy enough with the G5 for several years. The power is fine, the sound quality is good but I’ve heard better from newer, smaller products, and the mic input is pretty good (it’s what I use when I stream on twitch.tv @Evshrug). The G5 works seamlessly with the PS5 and PS4, especially benefitting from the PS5’s built-in surround DSP, so it’s just plug and play (I can also press the PlayStation button on the controller to switch outputs back to my TV).

I've confirmed with the manufacturer that the Qudelix 5k does work with TRRS headsets if the 5k is hard wired with USB to the source, not bluetooth mode. I don't know firsthand if this works with the Playstations, but I think it would sound really good if it worked and I would like to try it someday (like... when I have income again).

Insert grumbles about Microsoft Xbox’s closed system here. The PC38X would play as well as anything else off the Xbox controller’s headphone Jack… but the controller audio quality would be the limiting factor, controllers just don’t output good sound (it’s just “okay”).

In general, the PC38X and PC37X are easy to drive, so there are many good DAC/amp options, especially for PC & PlayStation. I would like to try more DAC/amps, but currently I’m job hunting 😅
I own the Arctis Nova Pro wired and Im very happy with my purchase. The Nova's work great with both current gen systems and can be connected at the same time. However I want to try the PC38X with the Gamedac 2. I think that might be a great Combo since it works w/ PS5 & XsX. Im hoping Penrose X will go on sale around
holidays for my wireless solution. Drop any hints if that's a possibility even for B Stock like last year. :L3000: I have a real headphone itch now, I guess its fall.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #48,126 of 48,562
Holiday Hints would have to come from an Audeze employee like @Mad Lust Envy (I have no idea!), but it does seem like christmas season is being pushed well before Halloween this year XD. So, you never know! Having a fall itch for new headphones is probably better than getting the flu every year: more expensive, but definitely more enjoyable, haha!!!

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #48,127 of 48,562
Anyone ever figure a good sound profile for the AKG 65 Anniversary for gaming? I don't really want to upgrade but feeling an itch but I'm not sure how much better sound would be in fps gaming compared to what I use.

I love the AKG as they are so lightweight you never feel tired

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #48,128 of 48,562
Hi. I have a 2015 Mixamp Pro, which is not really compatible with PS5 and XSX. I also have a Schiit Magni 2U.

I have the Mixamp Pro 2015 and Magni 2U connected to my PS5 via USB. Am I getting Dolby Digital like I did on PS4?

What I’m wondering is if the 2015 Mixamp Pro I own is pointless and I should get the Schiit Fulla or Hel 2E and go sans Mixamp.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #48,129 of 48,562
Hi. I have a 2015 Mixamp Pro, which is not really compatible with PS5 and XSX. I also have a Schiit Magni 2U.

I have the Mixamp Pro 2015 and Magni 2U connected to my PS5 via USB. Am I getting Dolby Digital like I did on PS4?

What I’m wondering is if the 2015 Mixamp Pro I own is pointless and I should get the Schiit Fulla or Hel 2E and go sans Mixamp.
The PS5 does not send Dolby Digital Live over USB, but it does send it's own pre-mixed headphone spatial stereo (which is like a more modern version of dolby headphone, supporting height when the games do too). The Xbox doesn't send audio out through USB at all, unless you buy a specifically licensed Xbox accessory. Personally, since the PS5 supports its own game/chat volume balance and spatial audio, I'm just using a Creative BlasterX G5, but you can use many USB "sound cards" with a headphone output and mic input. Some day I hope to try the Qudelix 5k, which does support "headset" plugs when you're connected through USB (but I don't know yet if it has the UAC1 standard that is more compatible and would work with the PS5).

Important to note: the Fulla 2 does work over USB, but the Fulla 3 is less compatible and would not work with the PS5. I don't know if any models since the Fulla 3 are compatible enough.

I believe the easiest way to continue feeding the Mixamp with a stream of the Dolby Digital Live it needs to process spatial headphone surround is to use the optical OUTPUT on the back of most modern flatscreen TV's, failing that you could buy a fairly inexpensive HDMI to Optical audio extractor device.

Anyone ever figure a good sound profile for the AKG 65 Anniversary for gaming? I don't really want to upgrade but feeling an itch but I'm not sure how much better sound would be in fps gaming compared to what I use.

I love the AKG as they are so lightweight you never feel tired
I think the acoustic sound profile for the AKG Annies is already pretty close to the recent Harmon target curve (AKG is a harmon company, after all), though the open back nature of the design means the sub bass rolls off a bit. That's not necessarily a bad thing: if they physically designed it to have that sub bass extension, it would muddy everything else. So, applying an EQ profile to the AKG wouldn't achieve much, unless you just had a taste for more or less emphasis on the balance of frequencies. If you wanted to experience more separation and perceived detail, you would need a different headphone with higher performance. I think the AKG's are an amazing value for the price, but the HD 800 series is tuned similar at TOTL performance, Stax doesn't quite offer bass warmth but their lighter-than-air transducers present clarity and separation with an effortless quality, a couple planars offer less treble distortion and the ones with larger transducers have more bass displacement (though these are often heavier than dynamic drivers, and sometimes have softer bass impact).

Maybe it's because I'm financially struggling right now, but I've been enjoying what mid-fi Dynamic headphones have to offer, lately. They really are great, easy to live with, and high value. If I didn't already have my PC38X or HD 560S, I would probably be using an AKG.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #48,130 of 48,562
Got a new laptop, an Asus G15 AMD Advantage from the current Best Buy sale, and in regards to audio, this is the first time that the onboard audio's analog out doesn't sound like crap. And I've been reviewing sound cards and laptop audio for a very long time. Been out of the loop fir a couple of years with a dead laptop, but this beeauty really impressed me. Tho one caveat: you need to disable enhancements on the Headphones output device, because otherwise it does some attenuation to the levels and you lose quite a few decibels. Essentially, when you do this, the audio has no discerning flaws, no bass roll-off, and it seems to do some impedence detecting, as my M1070 was level matching my DT-1990, which are significantly heavier in ohm.

It also comes with a license for Dolby Access, which I thought was a nice touch. The laptop speakers are also not terrible, but could be better. :) Both sounded best when using the Dolby Dynamic mode where it it auto-chooses how to enhance the audio.

Oh, and it's a killer gaming rig. :) $1099 currently for a 5980HX / 6800M / QHD 165Hz setup.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #48,131 of 48,562
I still use the Ultrasone HFI-780 for gaming. I only play single player games. I was using the Denon D2000 for the longest time. They were my upgrade from the Ultrasone's but I need to fix the Denon's. Going back to the Ultrasone's though, they are a fun headphone.

There's a lot of digging through this thread that I have to do I guess, but what would be a good replacement for the Ultrasone's now? Past few months I've started to get back into the audio and gaming world. Below $500 CDN. Thought about the Penrose but I prefer wired since I'm purely single player and movies/tv. Not opposed to wireless though.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #48,132 of 48,562
I bought the epos, and I like them. However, they are somewhat sibilant/ fatiguing to me. Despite being used to cans like hd598, x2hr, dt 770 pros.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's too bad that the software suite cannot set a preset EQ setting into the headset itself. You have to have the headset connected to the device the software is installed on.
I was hoping you could store the sound settings, from the presets or the vss option, into the headset itself. Then, you could use the headset on a console, with the desired effect.

Luckily I have a analog eq I'm going to try. Which, I would then lose the mic functionality.

The mic has a noise gate feature built-in by default. It doesn't matter what device you're on.

Oh, and, they are plenty comfortable.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #48,133 of 48,562
I bought the epos, and I like them. However, they are somewhat sibilant/ fatiguing to me. Despite being used to cans like hd598, x2hr, dt 770 pros.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's too bad that the software suite cannot set a preset EQ setting into the headset itself. You have to have the headset connected to the device the software is installed on.
I was hoping you could store the sound settings, from the presets or the vss option, into the headset itself. Then, you could use the headset on a console, with the desired effect.

Luckily I have a analog eq I'm going to try. Which, I would then lose the mic functionality.

The mic has a noise gate feature built-in by default. It doesn't matter what device you're on.

Oh, and, they are plenty comfortable.

Most wireless headsets for PC aren't going to store settings on the headset itself. It's why I generally avoid wireless PC headsets for PS5 use, including Sony's Inzone headsets. Unless it's specifically branded for PlayStation I tend to dismiss it. Technically the PC headsets will work on PS5, but without a lot of functionality like mic gain, sidetone, EQ, and other settings that are only saved to PC software.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #48,134 of 48,562
I still use the Ultrasone HFI-780 for gaming. I only play single player games. I was using the Denon D2000 for the longest time. They were my upgrade from the Ultrasone's but I need to fix the Denon's. Going back to the Ultrasone's though, they are a fun headphone.

There's a lot of digging through this thread that I have to do I guess, but what would be a good replacement for the Ultrasone's now? Past few months I've started to get back into the audio and gaming world. Below $500 CDN. Thought about the Penrose but I prefer wired since I'm purely single player and movies/tv. Not opposed to wireless though.
I've been gaming on the JM Modded Hifiman R7DX and I've got to say they are pretty phenomenal for gaming. Great soundstage, nice punch, decently crisp highs. They remind me quite a bit of my old D2000's. They're also really easy to drive and perform well right out of the PS5 controller.

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #48,135 of 48,562
I've been gaming on the JM Modded Hifiman R7DX and I've got to say they are pretty phenomenal for gaming. Great soundstage, nice punch, decently crisp highs. They remind me quite a bit of my old D2000's. They're also really easy to drive and perform well right out of the PS5 controller.
I will check it out, thanks! I've owned a Hifiman before, and I regret selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back