Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 23, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #48,106 of 48,562
Well yeah, that's what virtual surround does. You're just emulating two speakers in front of you. Even without proper surround, I like to use dsps for stereo content outside of music.

Despite what people say, it IS more natural to hear room reflections than a standard headphone stereo sound. We were never meant to hear sounds with just one ear.

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #48,107 of 48,562
Hi, i am new to audiophile gaming so sorry for total ignorance and also for bad english :)
i have read nearly all entries and got little confused.
I'am looking for dac/amp for ps5. I can't buy any Schiit products because they are not available here. And also i want to experience virtual surround. So i narrow down my options to soundblaster g6 and gc7.
I have no experience of dacs. But from what i read, i think g6 is great about audio quality and all around best for gaming and listening. And sbx works very well.
But gc7 has Super X-Fi which is different and for some people greater virtual surround implementation. But gc7's sbx and sx-fi has serious problems.
I play games with my samsung HW-Q950A soundbar so surround implementation is very important for me. If gc7's works fine with both sbx and sx-fi it would be ideal for me.
I am far from audiophile but i want some quality listening. Is there really significant audio quality difference between gc7, g6, hel2 and ifi zen dac v2?
ı have dt 770 pro 80 ohm. I am playing mainly action adventure and rpg games. I want open back and planar magnetic headphone like hifiman edition xs. I have read really interesting things on this page about edition xx. Would moving from dt 770 pro to something like edition xs be a great upgrade, a night and day difference? Because there ise a dilemma for me. In my country these headphones are very very expensive but if ı dont buy now i may never buy or at least for a long time.
Hifiman edition XS is relatively cheap for now in my city but i am open to suggestions for under 500 dollar headphones

again really sorry for my english :))
I know very little about Playstations audio.
My two cents.
Might be better to get an external USB DAC/amp, that only processes two channels in and two channels out to the headphones.
Something like the Schiit Hel should do the job.
Takstar HF 580 Planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832811570677.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.3a892e0eAncau5
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800528283235.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.435038daGpzggM&mp=1

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #48,108 of 48,562
Would the XsX HDMI to TV and Fulla E connected via optical provide better audio than what Im currently getting from the new Nova Pro wired via USB?
I ask because I get 48kHz/16 bit with Dolby Headphone enabled. Perhaps that's as good as it gets. Or is my concern ridiculous between 24 vs 16 bit? PS5 will output 24 bit according to the new Arctis Gamedac over USB. Maybe Im just having an OCD moment. :dt880smile:

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #48,109 of 48,562
Well...just got in the Epos H6Pro and GSX 300 AMP/DAC.
H6Pro:
2021-11-10.jpg
GSX 300:
2021-11-10 (1).jpg

Really impressed with the build quality here on both units, one interesting note is that the Headphone out/Microphone out is located on the back of the GSX300. Which are first, I thought was odd as I'm use to plugging things in at the front of the device but this allows me to hid the cables and route them underneath my desk. This setup looks extremely clean and the cables provided are long enough!

The H6Pro I received is the 'closed' version and they isolate extremely well! Comfort, fit and weight is extremely satisfying with this headset and feels well built! The cables although perfect in length are of the braided type and seems to have some memory to it, comes bundled up and as you untie them they literally turn in to a slinky! Good luck trying to get these types of cable dead flat and straight as they seem to stay stringy and curl about the place like a fish out of water! Not a deal breaker as the micro-phonics is not noticeable but something Epos could improve on in the future! Earpads are large and comfortable, these are like the hybrid pads with the pleater on the outer and fabric inside, my ears are comfortable inside and have no issues at all! Headband and adjustability is something Epos nailed here, once my head, I never wanted to take them off!

The sound of H6Pro Closed is very pleasant, Epos and Sennheiser collaboration here is evident and they just sound right to an Audiophile/Gamer ears here. It's got punch down low which is detailed and tight but is not pushed forward or overcomes the rest of the frequency range but present enough to give you that warm Sennheiser taste. Midrange is also typical here, clear and present and ever-so-slightly recessed. It doesn't come across too shout nor too distant but just right, sorta like the HD650! I love how the treble is done here on the H6Pro, not sibilant but detailed, airy and forward enough to give you that little extra sparkle on top! All this combined probably makes the H6Pro sound like a fun headphone, which it is....but in games like Apex Legends, CSGO, Battletech, DOTA Underlords....it was all a great experience and with the added bonus of being totally isolated to the rest of the world! Imaging and sound stage is excellent here and for a closed-back it never sounded like one, the H6Pro reminded me very much of a Closed-HD560s but with a warmer and less analytical sound signature. Something I've actually been looking for since I've acquired the HD560s because I'm just so impressed with that headphone! Fairly dark background, not the darkest I've heard but no distortion or cup resonance and the image is of a larger sound scape compared to other closed-back I've heard. The depth is quite good here, things are happening all around your ears and head with Left, Center, Right being very accurate. Tracking sounds and hearing footsteps is no issue here, the detail and balance of the sound signature just provides you with an excellent production of what is going on the game or whatever media you use with this headphone!

The microphone on the H6Pro is up there with a Modmic and in-between a Razer Siren Mini and other various microphones I have. It is highly useable and for most gamers who aren't looking for Podcast style solutions then the microphone on the H6Pro is a one and done solution! You can raise and lower the microphone arm, which mutes and unmutes as you fold it away or bring down to use. You can even take off the microphone all together as Epos used a magnet solution to hold in-place the microphone arm! They even include little disc covers to replace the microphone if you decided that you don't want to use it! Very handy!

Epos GSX 300 AMP/DAC/Software:
The Epos Gaming Suite, is tiny in comparisons to other Bloatware programs out there in the wild, this is a thumbs up! Simple to use and not overly complicated to use, it does what it needs to do fairly efficiently and just gets out of the way!

epos03.jpg
Below, you have control of your microphone capabilities where you can adjust and fine-tune a quite a lot! You can EQ your mic-out to
make your voice sound warmer, clearer, or EQ to whatever you like. You can control the Gain, Side tone (for all those who need to monitor
their mic levels!), Noise Gate and Noise Cancellation. All very easy to adjust and test while you're in the software!
epos02.jpg
Below: You can EQ yourself or use custom presets, I just left mine on Flat as I don't really use EQ! You can change between Stereo or 7.1
Simulated Surround setting and adjust the Reverb! I just prefer Stereo here but YMMV.
epos01.jpg
All in all the software is usable gives you a little tweaking if and when you need it and it doesn't take up silly amounts of virtual HD space
being only 18 megabytes!

Next is the GSX 300: Small petite but firm and well built, slightly heavier than you might think. Reminds me of the Old
Audioengine D1 from back in the day! Volume is soft and clicks as your turn, has a nice feel when you seldom turn it
up or down as I have the volume for the H6Pro set to 50% and is ample for everything I need it to do! The other button
is a select button and you can customize this to do a few things through the software. I just have mine to toggle between
Stereo or 7.1!
EPOS-GSX-300-review-photos-5.jpg
The rear of the unit is tapers down and just has your bare essentials for a gaming DAC/AMP. Headphone-out, Microphone-in and USB micro for power and data.
As I said before, this was odd at first but later worked out extremely well for my setup and just looks really nice once I set it all up! If you like clean setups then
having the cables route out the back of the DAC and around or under your desk looks clean aF.
813jJSPjkSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Performance wise, the GSX 300 is competent and powerful enough with the H6Pro, I haven't tried any other headphones with it yet as I intend to keep this setup straight
forward with the H6Pro/GSX300 combo going forward!

I have no issues with the sound quality this little DAC pumps out and no issues installation or any driver issues, essentially plug and play! I've not heard any pops or clicks or distortion or anything which is a relief to me which further solidify my purchase. It probably sounds better than my Schiit Fulla 2 and on pair with my Creative X3, does it compare to my other standalone DAC's well....does it matter? Not really....it just needs to do the job I want it to do and it does it rather well!

As for value, I picked these units up on the 'used' markets but both units were 'brand new' and the H6Pro wasn't even opened, still with the seal! I'm not sure if I'd personally pay full retail price for a "gaming" headset and DAC but for what it does, it does really well and I'm keeping this combo!

@Mad Lust Envy - Sorry in advanced if it looks like I tried taking over the thread but I personally love and use your thread you've created and just wanted to add to it as it's been a really pleasure read through your thread throughout the years! :kiss:
How do you like the 7.1 on the GSX? I was curious how the surround sound compared to its big brother GSX 1000.

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #48,110 of 48,562
Anyone pick up the Arctis Nova Pro Wired? Im still really happy with my purchase. Granted Im not a audiophile but the wired Novas provide great imaging and have a massive sound stage. I understand 3D audio can be polarizing but playing the Division 2 w/ Atmos Headphones on the Nova's I can hear bullets flying past and over my head. Forbidden West has some amazing weather effects and I can clearly hear thunder above me. Turning off Atmos headphones (XsX) and using BF2042's in game 3D audio is also really impressive. In BF2024 the sound stage is almost too chaotic but I have a clear sense what's happening around me and where. Would like to hear if anyone else has impressions? Perhaps Im the only owner around here? :beyersmile:

Sep 6, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #48,111 of 48,562
Which media player can we use with Atmos headphones or DTS sound unbound DTS Headphones :X with Atmos or DTS-MA movies? I tried using Potplayer but I don't know if we need some kind of AVR to get the signal or anything else. I have the SXFI AMP, is it possible to do everything on the computer? or we need extra devices. Using HD800's

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #48,112 of 48,562
Which media player can we use with Atmos headphones or DTS sound unbound DTS Headphones :X with Atmos or DTS-MA movies? I tried using Potplayer but I don't know if we need some kind of AVR to get the signal or anything else. I have the SXFI AMP, is it possible to do everything on the computer? or we need extra devices. Using HD800's
At least with analog 3.5mm plugged straight into my rear green motherboard jack, Dolby Access and DTS Sound Unbound works just fine with surround movies/series, and also works fine with VLC, Potplayer, MPC-BE.
With PotPlayer in the audio settings you should use the channel layout as "Same as input" or something like this, i can't remember exactly now since i'm not using PotPlayer for years now. But i know that in this way PotPlayer will send surround content to Spatial audio from Windows and it will render that in the headphones.

For Dolby Digital Plus + Atmos tracks i always use new W11 media player (or Movies & TV app) since this is the 100% way to Atmos for headphones or DTS Sound Unbound decode Atmos track within DD+ files properly, giving me height channels and full 3D audio. Not sure if other media players can do this.

If you add an external amp/DAC to this i don't know how it would behave, sorry i can't help you with that, i never tested this before.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #48,113 of 48,562
At least with analog 3.5mm plugged straight into my rear green motherboard jack, Dolby Access and DTS Sound Unbound works just fine with surround movies/series, and also works fine with VLC, Potplayer, MPC-BE.
With PotPlayer in the audio settings you should use the channel layout as "Same as input" or something like this, i can't remember exactly now since i'm not using PotPlayer for years now. But i know that in this way PotPlayer will send surround content to Spatial audio from Windows and it will render that in the headphones.

For Dolby Digital Plus + Atmos tracks i always use new W11 media player (or Movies & TV app) since this is the 100% way to Atmos for headphones or DTS Sound Unbound decode Atmos track within DD+ files properly, giving me height channels and full 3D audio. Not sure if other media players can do this.

If you add an external amp/DAC to this i don't know how it would behave, sorry i can't help you with that, i never tested this before.
yes same as input what is needed to be set is what I use. the issue like you explained when using the media player or movies and TV is that I can't choose the Dolby atmos track, it always uses the compabiltiy 5.1 track and when trying to switch to the 8 channel atmos it doesn't do anything, can't remember when exactly it worked last time, maybe only on my OLED C6 Hdmi TV. to pass the signal with nvidia card.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #48,114 of 48,562
If any of you going to CanJam this weekend, say hi at the Audeze Booth!

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #48,115 of 48,562
So question, is there any major difference between the mobius using USB, vs a penrose? I have a PC, series X, and PS5 and wouldnt really want to rebuy headphones for each console when i already have the mobius.

Also, does the PS5/Xbox series X support surround/3d audio through their respective 3d audio ps5 and dolby atmos on xbox through wireless connection with the penrose?

If the mobius is usable with just USB and there isnt any major disadvantage than a wire, id probably just stick to that to avoid buying $600 worth of headphones. Can anyone recommend a USB cable? IDK if i need to look for anything in particular but i do need length, probably 15-20 feet

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #48,116 of 48,562
So question, is there any major difference between the mobius using USB, vs a penrose? I have a PC, series X, and PS5 and wouldnt really want to rebuy headphones for each console when i already have the mobius.

Also, does the PS5/Xbox series X support surround/3d audio through their respective 3d audio ps5 and dolby atmos on xbox through wireless connection with the penrose?

If the mobius is usable with just USB and there isnt any major disadvantage than a wire, id probably just stick to that to avoid buying $600 worth of headphones. Can anyone recommend a USB cable? IDK if i need to look for anything in particular but i do need length, probably 15-20 feet
Yes, good question, there is a difference.

The only headphone out of the three (yes three) versions you listed that will work with your Xbox Series console is the Penrose X, because Microsoft only allows USB headsets to work with their Xbox console if the manufacturer pays a license fee (I have old info, but I was shocked when I heard how expensive the royalty licensing fee was). The perk/upside of that official license is it works with Xbox’s party chat function to allow a dial on the headset to adjust chat and game volume balance. Audeze also makes a PlayStation specific version of the Penrose… but Sony does allow UAC1 usb devices (the most compatible and common usb audio devices) to work with stereo output (or Tempest 3D surround output for the PS5), so… for your situation, I would recommend the Penrose X.

Furthermore, the Mobius has head tracking and an internal DSP for creating surround and “out-of-your-head stereo,” which the two Penrose models do not (but you can use the PS5 and Xbox Series’ built-in surround DSPs), however the Mobius would have to connect wired with USB to the PS5 to work (and wouldn’t work with Xbox) while the Penrose is specifically designed to use a USB dongle to wirelessly transmit. You already know that all three headphones can connect to PCs (and smartphones) with Bluetooth… but the Penrose’s additional option with the 2.4 GHz wireless dongle (not Bluetooth!) actually has more bandwidth, lower latency, and the sound quality will be much better than Bluetooth if you use the microphone! Also, most USB cables are too short and too stiff to use in a living room with a TV to couch situation… wireless proves it’s worth there!

Of course, using the Mobius on PC with USB allows for the “full fat experience,” where the Mobius will process 7.1 virtual surround for headphones AND full 3D head tracking, which is pretty great (and the reason why I still own my Mobius). I do experience the headtracking to substantially improve the sensation of surround, even when I’m sitting and only making minimal movements. It’s sold out… not sure if that’s short term or discontinued, but that makes my Mobius a bit more precious (unless a Mobius 2 with a new SoC is on the way, eeeeey?). However, the Penrose (X) really is the way to go for gaming consoles (unless you’re me, with a Mobius in the PC room and an EPOS PC38X wired to a USB DAC and a game console in the TV room 😁).

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #48,117 of 48,562
Yes, good question, there is a difference.

The only headphone out of the three (yes three) versions you listed that will work with your Xbox Series console is the Penrose X, because Microsoft only allows USB headsets to work with their Xbox console if the manufacturer pays a license fee (I have old info, but I was shocked when I heard how expensive the royalty licensing fee was). The perk/upside of that official license is it works with Xbox’s party chat function to allow a dial on the headset to adjust chat and game volume balance. Audeze also makes a PlayStation specific version of the Penrose… but Sony does allow UAC1 usb devices (the most compatible and common usb audio devices) to work with stereo output (or Tempest 3D surround output for the PS5), so… for your situation, I would recommend the Penrose X.

Furthermore, the Mobius has head tracking and an internal DSP for creating surround and “out-of-your-head stereo,” which the two Penrose models do not (but you can use the PS5 and Xbox Series’ built-in surround DSPs), however the Mobius would have to connect wired with USB to the PS5 to work (and wouldn’t work with Xbox) while the Penrose is specifically designed to use a USB dongle to wirelessly transmit. You already know that all three headphones can connect to PCs (and smartphones) with Bluetooth… but the Penrose’s additional option with the 2.4 GHz wireless dongle (not Bluetooth!) actually has more bandwidth, lower latency, and the sound quality will be much better than Bluetooth if you use the microphone! Also, most USB cables are too short and too stiff to use in a living room with a TV to couch situation… wireless proves it’s worth there!

Of course, using the Mobius on PC with USB allows for the “full fat experience,” where the Mobius will process 7.1 virtual surround for headphones AND full 3D head tracking, which is pretty great (and the reason why I still own my Mobius). I do experience the headtracking to substantially improve the sensation of surround, even when I’m sitting and only making minimal movements. It’s sold out… not sure if that’s short term or discontinued, but that makes my Mobius a bit more precious (unless a Mobius 2 with a new SoC is on the way, eeeeey?). However, the Penrose (X) really is the way to go for gaming consoles (unless you’re me, with a Mobius in the PC room and an EPOS PC38X wired to a USB DAC and a game console in the TV room 😁).
What DAC are you using with the EPOS PC38X? It’s connected to a XsX or PS5?

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #48,118 of 48,562
Its annoying that xsx don´t have a optical out or support sound through usb without licencing. I use a soundblaster g6 that i have to plug in to my tv with optical then run the power through xsx usb, and beacuse of that the mic on my headphones (fostex t50rp with v-moda boom) does not work. So i have to switch between two pairs of headphones if i want to use party chat. One pair that can be run through the controller, and my fostex that i only use on pc or playing single player games on xsx beacuse they are so power hungry.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #48,119 of 48,562
What DAC are you using with the EPOS PC38X? It’s connected to a XsX or PS5?
Right now, I’m still using a Creative Labs BlasterX G5. EPOS makes their own equivalent DAC/amp that costs less, but I’ve been happy enough with the G5 for several years. The power is fine, the sound quality is good but I’ve heard better from newer, smaller products, and the mic input is pretty good (it’s what I use when I stream on twitch.tv @Evshrug). The G5 works seamlessly with the PS5 and PS4, especially benefitting from the PS5’s built-in surround DSP, so it’s just plug and play (I can also press the PlayStation button on the controller to switch outputs back to my TV).

I've confirmed with the manufacturer that the Qudelix 5k does work with TRRS headsets if the 5k is hard wired with USB to the source, not bluetooth mode. I don't know firsthand if this works with the Playstations, but I think it would sound really good if it worked and I would like to try it someday (like... when I have income again).

Insert grumbles about Microsoft Xbox’s closed system here. The PC38X would play as well as anything else off the Xbox controller’s headphone Jack… but the controller audio quality would be the limiting factor, controllers just don’t output good sound (it’s just “okay”).

In general, the PC38X and PC37X are easy to drive, so there are many good DAC/amp options, especially for PC & PlayStation. I would like to try more DAC/amps, but currently I’m job hunting 😅

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #48,120 of 48,562
Speaking about the Epos. I was seriously considering the purchase until I read that the pads are shallow. Not sure if the pads can be modded. Super curious how they sound though.

Comfort means the most to me now. In hindsight, when comparing the comfort of the X2HR's with third party pads. Senns 5xx - 6xx only had decent comfort in comparison.

Also speaking about these second generation headsets. Some of them fit tighter than their predecessors. Two hands on examples would be the Rig 500 pro, now owned by a different company, also the Astro A10's. The Rigs have shallow pads now, and, the A10's used to be clunky, larger headroom, and the cups WERE actually over the ear.

Anyways. Instead of having a standalone mic and headphones, I was looking at closed back headset options.

Other headsets I've tried and returned.

Arctic Nova Pro
Hyper X Cloud Orbits

Might just keep using my standalone mic, and find uber comfortable closed back headphones when it calls for them. Before anyone mentions Beyer. No comment on those plastic pieces that hold the metal together. Beyer does have a newer, streamlined fasteners.

beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-perspective.jpeg

With the headband fasteners being enclosed, I wonder if that inturn added more durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back