Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 27, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #47,956 of 48,566
Saw that Boom 3D is on sale on Steam, so decided to try it out. For gaming and multichannel audio purposes, it is full of fail. As of 1.2.4, they started using a Virtual Audio device, much like others, to collect the audio stream, and feed it to your DAC. The caveat: the VAD only supports setting Windows to Stereo. So their "3D Surround" is a virtual surround mixer, and not collecting 7.1 to create HRTF. Fail. FAIL HARD.

May 27, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #47,957 of 48,566
During my testing, I noticed another caveat that you should take into consideration when choosing a Surround solution: whether you listen to multiple sources while gaming. With the Windows Audio plug-ins (Sonics, Dolby Access, DTS:X) it's attached direct to your audio device, so you cannot have any audio sources that aren't passed through the virtualizer. Whereas apps like Redscape and Waves NX have a virtual audio device, and you can set that to your Default sound device, so that games and movies go through them, and have your music players / streams go direct to your DAC and be unmolested.

May 27, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #47,958 of 48,566
During my testing, I noticed another caveat that you should take into consideration when choosing a Surround solution: whether you listen to multiple sources while gaming. With the Windows Audio plug-ins (Sonics, Dolby Access, DTS:X) it's attached direct to your audio device, so you cannot have any audio sources that aren't passed through the virtualizer. Whereas apps like Redscape and Waves NX have a virtual audio device, and you can set that to your Default sound device, so that games and movies go through them, and have your music players / streams go direct to your DAC and be unmolested.
Those virtual audio devices I've found to be super convenient, especially with Equalizer APO. If, for instance, you set your music application to output to one device and your games to another device it would let you set different EQ configs per device.

Huge fan of how the Beacn Mix Create creates those virtual devices and lets you mix them. I'm loving that device.

May 31, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #47,959 of 48,566
Been testing out the Nova Pro wired on the XsX & PS5 and so far Im impressed. I played Spider Man Remastered, BF2042, Ace Combat 7 and Division 2 and they all sounded crisp and sharp with nice detail. I even tested the Koss KPH40 with the new DAC and it sounds great. Its only been a day with the Nova's but so far so good. I’ll post further impressions later this week. Its pretty awesome its the first USB DAC that I know of that works with both the Series X and PS5.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #47,960 of 48,566
Been testing out the Nova Pro wired on the XsX & PS5 and so far Im impressed. I played Spider Man Remastered, BF2042, Ace Combat 7 and Division 2 and they all sounded crisp and sharp with nice detail. I even tested the Koss KPH40 with the new DAC and it sounds great. Its only been a day with the Nova's but so far so good. I’ll post further impressions later this week. Its pretty awesome its the first USB DAC that I know of that works with both the Series X and PS5.
I just picked up the Nova pro(wired). I know half the price probably went towards the dac or so I would assume. if we focus soley on the headset itself, I am curious to know which other headset it compares with, the Arctis 7 perhaps?

as far as gaming headsets go, the steelseries headsets get a decent rating on this other site, in terms of frequency response.

the mic isn't that great, not compared to my rode lapel mic.

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #47,962 of 48,566
how about this. the little earpiece with inline mic that used to be included with the PS4 sounded better.

Plantronic rigs mic and headphones sound better for the fraction of the cost.

If you are going to spend this type of money ($270) I'd spend a little more and go with the Hyperx Orbit S, which sound better, have all the same features without a dac, and the mic sounds better.

I was more interested in the dac that came with the Nova bundle more than anything. it's a neat dac.

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #47,963 of 48,566
How is the Ananda-BT, on a Win 11 Pro machine for gaming? I hear mostly good things, but there have been some random comments to the effect "does not work on Windows" - https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-ananda-bt-review/4/ . I assume comment was for laptops, is this still the case? I ask I as I will be using this on a laptop.
Looking to cut down on the clutter and wires (less is more, desk environment), hence looking at high end (or TOTL) wireless headphone solutions. Top shelf quality sound is the paramount concern. Looking for a headset that is adapt equally for gaming as well as music. Not really wanting a lot of software stuff (i.e. head tracking, etc).
I have no limit on budget.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #47,964 of 48,566
I would assume it uses standard Bluetooth drivers, so don't see why it wouldn't work.

I would be more concerned with the latency. Bluetooth isn't very responsive in general. However, as long as it has a low latency codec it should be ok.

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #47,965 of 48,566
I meant to provide some thoughts on the Arctis Pro Wireless here - but forgot. I've now returned them and gone back to a set of Audeze Penrose X.

The Arctis were a slick package all round. Comfort, range, connectivity etc were good, BUT sound still wasn't quite as good as I wanted for a £330 outlay - especially when it came to music listening which I wanted the headset to cover also.

There have definitely been improvements to audio from previous SS headsets I've tried - but they are still not there quote yet. I can see many people being happy with what they offer though.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #47,966 of 48,566
Just picked up a set of Master & Dynamic ME05 IEMs, which are wired, and were their flagship IEMs. They are now discontinued, and many retailers are selling these at $8.95 a set. The MSRP on these were $199. The construction of these is superb, with solid brass housings, removable tip filters so you can clean them with peroxide if they get gunked up with humanity, and have a very good in-line mic that is not encased in the in-line controls, so it's placed closer to your mouth area.

Soundwise, they are warm, full-bodied, and smooth, and close in presentation to my planars than I care to admit. :) Tho they are dynamics, and don't reach down as low into subbass as planars can. They also have very good detail and separation, and while they have good treble, they aren't sparkly and overly airy, tho tip choice will affect this. They make excellent gamer buds, since they are full-bodied, and with a slight up-front presentation, so audio cues are easy to pick out, and they scale well to EQ adjustments.

I just ordered a second set so that I have a backup. They became discontinued in Feb 2022, probably due to the in-line controller being Apple only, and on Android only the middle multi-function works.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015YA8IC2

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #47,967 of 48,566
Has anyone attempted some TOTL gaming with the DCA Stealth? Opinions?

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #47,968 of 48,566
Just picked up a set of Master & Dynamic ME05 IEMs, which are wired, and were their flagship IEMs. They are now discontinued, and many retailers are selling these at $8.95 a set. The MSRP on these were $199. The construction of these is superb, with solid brass housings, removable tip filters so you can clean them with peroxide if they get gunked up with humanity, and have a very good in-line mic that is not encased in the in-line controls, so it's placed closer to your mouth area.

Soundwise, they are warm, full-bodied, and smooth, and close in presentation to my planars than I care to admit. :) Tho they are dynamics, and don't reach down as low into subbass as planars can. They also have very good detail and separation, and while they have good treble, they aren't sparkly and overly airy, tho tip choice will affect this. They make excellent gamer buds, since they are full-bodied, and with a slight up-front presentation, so audio cues are easy to pick out, and they scale well to EQ adjustments.

I just ordered a second set so that I have a backup. They became discontinued in Feb 2022, probably due to the in-line controller being Apple only, and on Android only the middle multi-function works.

Thank you!! I am 100% a sucker for a deal and this looks like a great one. On the topic of planars I am taking a hard look at the 7Hz Timeless. While I'm still lusting after the ATH-R70X I can more easily justify a purchase for IEMs as I can use them while commuting, =)

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #47,969 of 48,566
Thank you!! I am 100% a sucker for a deal and this looks like a great one. On the topic of planars I am taking a hard look at the 7Hz Timeless. While I'm still lusting after the ATH-R70X I can more easily justify a purchase for IEMs as I can use them while commuting, =)
My planars of choice are the Monolith M1570. Having a hard time justifying an "upgrade" since perfecting the EQ for them. If I was to try something new, I would be looking at Kennertons. Enjoy the M&D! Brass or Palladium?
Has anyone attempted some TOTL gaming with the DCA Stealth? Opinions?
I have that TOTL gaming with my M1570 and a desk mic. :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #47,970 of 48,566

Great find, thanks for sharing. I picked up a couple of pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back