Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 19, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #47,701 of 48,562
Did you try my EQ in EQ APO? Also there's a very nice M1570 thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...ack-balanced-planar-headphones.915053/page-48
Thank you! I plan to revisit the EQ settings you sent me, I haven't had time to dig into it to be honest as that application is fairly complex. I just used the Sound Blaster EQ to make some quick adjustments.

I saw that thread last night while browsing, I had a question about mics for the headphones so I'll post there.

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #47,702 of 48,562
Say while playing a single player game which one is more immersive, has better rumble, and more details? What is the main difference between the two?

The TH900 is one of the best headphones for immersive gaming in its price class. The bass has a "crap your pants" quality to it in that it hits hard and rumbles nicely. Comfort can be improved by swapping the stock pads with Dekoni elite hybrids. I was able to wear them all day without discomfort.

I use a Verite Closed now for gaming, but there are still some times I miss my TH900. If Fostex ever comes out with a TH1000, I'll be the first in line to buy it.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #47,703 of 48,562
Here's my gaming impressions post for MC450 vs M1570 vs HE400SE vs DT990. Again, thanks to everyone for the help and support in this whole process!

EDIT: I think I've made a final determination on the M1570's but I have some nagging concerns about comfort and sound signature and so I want to make sure they're my best option within my budget for my preferences. Can anyone recommend something like these except with a more "neutral" sound instead of the warm, dark tones? Or is that something that can be managed entirely by EQ?

Now that I've tasted this level of quality I'm willing to throw a bit more money at the problem, maybe up to $500 or thereabouts. If the answer is that the M1570's are as good as it's going to get without a huge price increase then I absolutely don't want "perfect" to get in the way of "very good" here and I think they could work. I just would rather spend the time now than burn $400 and find myself wishing for something different not long after.

Based on what I was reading someday I may splurge on the LCD-GX but at this point I can't justify nearly $1k on headphones. I read @Mad Lust Envy 's writeup on the Shure 1840's but those seemed like poor all-rounders.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #47,704 of 48,562
The TH900 is one of the best headphones for immersive gaming in its price class. The bass has a "crap your pants" quality to it in that it hits hard and rumbles nicely. Comfort can be improved by swapping the stock pads with Dekoni elite hybrids. I was able to wear them all day without discomfort.

I use a Verite Closed now for gaming, but there are still some times I miss my TH900. If Fostex ever comes out with a TH1000, I'll be the first in line to buy it.
I'd get one again if they just removed that really sizzly treble. Loved everything else.

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #47,705 of 48,562
Here's my gaming impressions post for MC450 vs M1570 vs HE400SE vs DT990. Again, thanks to everyone for the help and support in this whole process!

EDIT: I think I've made a final determination on the M1570's but I have some nagging concerns about comfort and sound signature and so I want to make sure they're my best option within my budget for my preferences. Can anyone recommend something like these except with a more "neutral" sound instead of the warm, dark tones? Or is that something that can be managed entirely by EQ?

Now that I've tasted this level of quality I'm willing to throw a bit more money at the problem, maybe up to $500 or thereabouts. If the answer is that the M1570's are as good as it's going to get without a huge price increase then I absolutely don't want "perfect" to get in the way of "very good" here and I think they could work. I just would rather spend the time now than burn $400 and find myself wishing for something different not long after.

Based on what I was reading someday I may splurge on the LCD-GX but at this point I can't justify nearly $1k on headphones. I read @Mad Lust Envy 's writeup on the Shure 1840's but those seemed like poor all-rounders.
The planars take to EQ well. I gather you are having a problem with setting up EQ APO?

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #47,706 of 48,562

Can you please do a quick test with this video and tell me which one of the two gives a beefier and more resolved bass during cannon shots:

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #47,707 of 48,562
Can you please do a quick test with this video and tell me which one of the two gives a beefier and more resolved bass during cannon shots:

I don't have my TH900 anymore to compare :frowning2: But if I were to operate from memory, I think the TH900 would give more powerful bass, while the VC's bass would be a bit tighter and the sound overall more holographic and spacious.

I'd get one again if they just removed that really sizzly treble. Loved everything else.

Nothing a little EQ can't fix :) I found swapping out the stock pads with Dekoni Elite Hybrids and putting in bass attenuator rings in those pads helped quite a bit.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #47,709 of 48,562
Holy beans. Your EQ settings make Audioslave sound over-the-top amazing. Chris Cornell's voice is perfect.
On the EQ, you use the 3 Shelf PEQ to adjust the bass and mids/treble levels to your tastes. I added a little more mids dB to make the vocals pop, which was something I noticed they do when they have no EQ applied. When EQ'd, the M1570 become amazing, and very entry-level summit-fi quality, and the vocals are VERY natural sounding. The imaging is also impecable, and you can imagine the placement inside the recording room easily. These features also work for gaming, and I can easily hunt by sound.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #47,710 of 48,562
Hey everyone I currently have the hifiman deva not sure how I feel about them, but I was wondering would you recommend the sound blaster gc7 or another virtual solution for surround sound. I mostly play open world games, mmos

Thanks

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #47,711 of 48,562
Hey everyone I currently have the hifiman deva not sure how I feel about them, but I was wondering would you recommend the sound blaster gc7 or another virtual solution for surround sound. I mostly play open world games, mmos

Thanks
Tried software solutions like: Redscape, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, DTS Unbound? More than good enough for all my gaming needs with stereo headphones.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #47,712 of 48,562

Thanks

Redscape is all you need. I've tried every other VSS option, and Redscape blows them all away. Well worth every penny.

Question for the Redscape users: What do you set your Room setting to when gaming? I've been finding 25% has been a good balance, but curious if anyone's tried 0% or 50+%

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #47,713 of 48,562
My 2080TI is essentially dead.

If anyone wants to be a friend and find me a non-heavily scalper priced 3080 12gb, 3080ti or 3090, please let me know.

You'd be my savior.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #47,714 of 48,562
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help making a decision on headphones to buy.
I'm pretty new to the audiophile/HiFi moneysink, but since my old cheap gamery headset broke recently I figured I'd take the dive. I bought the X2HR on black friday to get a feel for what kind of sound I like, and now I'd like to take a deeper dive.
I'll be using the headphones mostly for gaming, listening to music while working, and taking work calls (working from home). The gaming is mostly single-player games or "small" multiplayer games with friends. So immersion and "awesome" sound is more important than pin-point imaging accuracy.

I've been reading up a lot on headphones and gone to a local HiFi store to listen, and I've taken a liking to both the LCD-2 classic and the Sundara. The bass on the sundara is on the weak side, though.
Also, I'm eying the LCD-GX as well since it has a boom mic and is lighter than the LCD-2 classics (and also I can buy it second hand 1,5 years old for 450 euro). However, the LCD-GX isn't available for me to listen to, so I can't know whether I'll like it or not. The bass according to reviews seems to have less slam than the LCD-2 classics, but I figure that some EQ can sort most of that out hopefully. I also saw on a review that it can have some sibilance issues, which has me worried.
I actually got to borrow the Sundara from a friend for a week, so any comparisons to the Sundara are appreciated.

One last note, I sit at the computer quite a bit and that can lead to my neck stiffing up quite a bit. This makes me worried about the weight on the LCD-2 classics. I've tried attaching weights on my X2HR to simulate the weight of the LCD-2 classics, but it's hard to tell what the effect is over time.

Budget - Roughly 800 euro

Source/Amp - SoundBlasterX G6

How the gear will be used - Home listening. Gaming and mostly electronic music while working.

Preferred tonal balance - Bass head. Brighter headphones can be fatiguing, and sibilance is an issue.

Preferred music genre(s) - Electronic music like Daft Punk, Deadmau5.

Past gear experience - X2HR. Nice bass, fatiguing and sibilance issues.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #47,715 of 48,562
Redscape is all you need. I've tried every other VSS option, and Redscape blows them all away. Well worth every penny.

Question for the Redscape users: What do you set your Room setting to when gaming? I've been finding 25% has been a good balance, but curious if anyone's tried 0% or 50+%
Hey thank how would you compare redscape to waves nx in your opinion

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back