Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #47,686 of 48,562
Almost a full week now with the Audeze LCD GX, I have beein playing mostly W40K inquisitor, and tom clancy's Breakpoint.
I'm really impresse by the sound so far, great bass, no fatiguing treble, good imaging, and with the SB X7, "surround" sound is nice.
It's different from the TH900 of course, but I really like it.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #47,687 of 48,562
How different is the Magni 3+ to the Heresy to your ears? Just personally interested in what makes someone choose one over the other. Haven't heard either, as the last Magni I had was the first Magni 3.

I'm inclined to go with the 3+ myself on principle: it's discrete and not op-amp based. There's a staggering amount of op-amp based amplifiers in the market, so I like to experiment outside that norm.

I dunno if I mentioned it here, but I recently got the Asgard 3, and I really enjoy how it actually audible injects some warmth compared to a more linear sounding amp. It's noticeable warmer than the Jot 2. Not better, and probably technically inferior, but I really like the sound it has. Almost like what I would've expected a tube amp to sound like.

Just too bad I have a noisy system. I can only get a black background off it through the internal DAC. The RCA input has buzzing, though that's not the Asgard's fault. The Jot 2 has the same issue if I run my Modius off RCA instead of XLRs. Ground loop, etc. I'm too lazy to invest in a power conditioner or whatever. :'(

Really it's not audible in my volume range, but its definitely audible once you pass a volume threshold.
The Magni 3+ has a bit of the Schiit House sound, akin to the Asgard 3 but not as "tubey", and the Heresy is clean, and neutral. In regards to the Asgard 3, they use a square wave component to add that "tubeness" tho it's not as good as using actual tubes. <3 tubes.

As for the noisy system, you can do what I did and invest in an iFi iDefender+. (I have an earlier version) Since my DAC is self powered, I just use the dongle to isolate PC USB power. Works great. Nice, dark background, no hiss. If your DAC needs power, you connect the dongle to an outside 5v USB power source.

You can also try a self-powered USB hub.

OK these M1570's are really good.
What, no impressions? :D Do you use EQ?

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #47,689 of 48,562
Almost a full week now with the Audeze LCD GX, I have beein playing mostly W40K inquisitor, and tom clancy's Breakpoint.
I'm really impresse by the sound so far, great bass, no fatiguing treble, good imaging, and with the SB X7, "surround" sound is nice.
It's different from the TH900 of course, but I really like it.
Say while playing a single player game which one is more immersive, has better rumble, and more details? What is the main difference between the two?

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #47,690 of 48,562
Don't worry! You'll get them. I haven't gotten back to the system-wide EQ yet but I want to. In BF2042 it's been good without and I've just used Winamp's built-in EQ for music.
I did the music impressions this evening and about halfway through I realized that I'm spending 3.5 hours doing a musical performance comparison of nine different songs for four different headphones when I'm going to be spending far more time gaming with them than I will be listening to music. 😬 But it was surprisingly fun and informative. I gotta tell you those MC450s have grown on me considerably, I swear the more I hear them the more I find to like. They sure don't like The Offspring, though.

I was amazed to find that out of all the songs I used No Time for Caution from the Interstellar soundtrack was reproduced VERY differently by each of the four headphones. All of the other songs had variations but not nearly to the same extent.

I'm going to do one more round of gaming comparison (considering, you know, that's why I'm going through all of this) and then post a final writeup of it all.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #47,691 of 48,562
Say while playing a single player game which one is more immersive, has better rumble, and more details? What is the main difference between the two?
Well, I haven't had enough time to focus on those, but the main and huge difference between the two is confort. the GX seems like it has no weight on your head, where the TH900mk2 after 20mn or so make me feel like I have to move it. For long session of gaming, there is a clear winner between the two, and it's the GX.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #47,692 of 48,562
I did the music impressions this evening and about halfway through I realized that I'm spending 3.5 hours doing a musical performance comparison of nine different songs for four different headphones when I'm going to be spending far more time gaming with them than I will be listening to music. 😬 But it was surprisingly fun and informative. I gotta tell you those MC450s have grown on me considerably, I swear the more I hear them the more I find to like. They sure don't like The Offspring, though.

I was amazed to find that out of all the songs I used No Time for Caution from the Interstellar soundtrack was reproduced VERY differently by each of the four headphones. All of the other songs had variations but not nearly to the same extent.

I'm going to do one more round of gaming comparison (considering, you know, that's why I'm going through all of this) and then post a final writeup of it all.
I am only speaking for myself but maybe you can keep the music impressions short as this is a gaming thread mainly.

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #47,696 of 48,562
@Chastity what's your feeling on the clamp of the M1570's? At first it didn't bother me but the more I wear them the more I'm feeling distinct pressure around my ears. Not quite sure what to do about it. I'll try the fabric pads though I'm a bit concerned on how they'll change the sound. Then again just about everything I'm reading online is that people feel these don't have enough clamp and they fall off the head, so maybe the fabrics will not be a big deal.

EDIT: I measured and it looks like the circumference of my head at the temples is 23" so I'm not entirely freakish.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #47,697 of 48,562
@Chastity what's your feeling on the clamp of the M1570's? At first it didn't bother me but the more I wear them the more I'm feeling distinct pressure around my ears. Not quite sure what to do about it. I'll try the fabric pads though I'm a bit concerned on how they'll change the sound. Then again just about everything I'm reading online is that people feel these don't have enough clamp and they fall off the head, so maybe the fabrics will not be a big deal.

EDIT: I measured and it looks like the circumference of my head at the temples is 23" so I'm not entirely freakish.
The pads probably still need to break in. Leather will eventually conform to your head. Helps if you keep the leather conditioned. I use leather cleaning wipes for this. I also prefer having some clamp.

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #47,700 of 48,562
Ok here's my music impressions post on the MC450 vs M1570 vs HE400SE vs DT990. I'll do a separate gaming impressions post soon and put it in the video games forum so I don't clog up this thread more than I already have.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mc450-vs-m1570-vs-he400se-vs-dt990-music-impressions.961699/
Did you try my EQ in EQ APO? Also there's a very nice M1570 thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...ack-balanced-planar-headphones.915053/page-48

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back