Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #47,131 of 48,578
Quick question: I have some HD800S's arriving next week and currently have my PC sound organised via a modded X-Fi Titanium HD going out through a JDS Atom and into my PC38X headset, will the JDS Atom still do the job and is there going to be any realworld difference if I replace the Atom with something like a Topping A30 Pro?

Cheers
We can assume you have the external headphone amplifier (Atom) connected to the Ti-HD's RCA line-output jacks (best way) and not connecting the Atom's line-input to the Ti-HD headphone jack?

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #47,132 of 48,578
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I0SI1SG/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C9U3XI4/

There. Connect these two things to the headphone plug, and to your amp. That's it.

I don't like buying extension cables, because buying a 3.5mm aux cable and a barrel allows more versatility for that aux cable in case you need it for something else, while buying an extension cable you can only use it as an extension cable.
Im curious right now i have the 58x and dt880s i saw your review i dont see anything on the 58x. Do you think its worth getting dt990s because i can get them on sale for 100. I want a headphone thats good for fps games, but also good for movies and music. Are the ones i have good enough or do you think going for the dt990s 560s or maybe 6xx is a good idea ?

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #47,133 of 48,578
Hello
1) please tell how to run G6 in direct mode? I want to use it with ps5 to get tempest 3D audio. No sbx, only tempest!
2) run ratchet and clank and in menu they said that 3D audio (tempest) work with headphones plug into controller or by pulse 3D headset. So it’s not working with external usb dac?(I mean creative G6)
3) I try to connect my headphones to controller in ratchet and clank, and I can said it’s not a bad sound. I don’t notice much difference between this and G6 connection
1) You are using the G6 as dac and amp in this case? Over USB from PS5? A long press on the Scout Mode button puts the G6 intro the Direct Mode, once the button is flashing means all the DSP is turned-off
2) It does work with external USB dac
3) Agreed, the G6 is a small upgrade but nothing major. Depends on your headphones too.

Im curious right now i have the 58x and dt880s i saw your review i dont see anything on the 58x. Do you think its worth getting dt990s because i can get them on sale for 100. I want a headphone thats good for fps games, but also good for movies and music. Are the ones i have good enough or do you think going for the dt990s 560s or maybe 6xx is a good idea ?
If you already have 2 headphones, why do you still want to buy one that works for gaming, movies and music? Quite often, being good in one category makes it worse in another.

I would advice you to buy a headphone that is just exceptional for one category (since you have 3, why overlap?), or, move up a notch into a higher price bracket (DT1990 for example). Buying even more jack of all trades headphones in the 100-200 dollar range doesn't make sense imho.

I don't think the 990 will bring you much the 880 can't do.

Aug 5, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #47,134 of 48,578
The 990 is literally the 880 with the bass turned up to 8, and treble turned up to 11. With an EQ, you can mitigate that treble peak, and the 990 is excellent. If you don't EQ, the 880 is a much safer choice. The 990 treble is uh... prolific.

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #47,135 of 48,578
We can assume you have the external headphone amplifier (Atom) connected to the Ti-HD's RCA line-output jacks (best way) and not connecting the Atom's line-input to the Ti-HD headphone jack?
Yep that is correct.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #47,136 of 48,578
If you are going to use the HD-800S, then look into upgrading your DAC and amp. The JDS Atom amp is a nice entry amp, but th equality of the HD-800S will scale with your gear improvement. If on a budget, a Schiit Asgard 3 + DAC of your choice would be a nice budget option. Even modded, my M300 MKII will trump the Titanium HD as a source.

On another note, I picked up a very nice set of TWS buds on Amazon, the Mpow M30's on the cheap. They use 6mm diaphram drivers, have Bluetooth 5, IPX8, and use Harman Curve tuning, I was rather surprised by the sound quality, a step up from the M5's I own. And due to Amazon banning Mpow's retailer acct due to playing games with getting positive reviews, they changed their name, and is clearing out all their Mpow branded gear. I bought these in black for $19.99 + 40% off coupon for a final price of $11.99. I just don't care for their stock silicone tips, and will be swapping them for some memory foam tips.
I also have a similar question here. Could I get some DAC/AMP suggestions for my HD800s/8xx(in the future) too? I prefer a simple desk, so I'm thinking of the RME ADI 2 DAC, but I'm also interested in the Babyface Pro(which has a mic XLR input practical for gaming). Then I saw a video that the Monolith THX DACAMP provides better imaging and soundstage...and I'm having trouble choosing among them. My budget is about 1500$ for the DACAMP and I'm using the audio setup only for PC(Games, movies, music) Can I get some suggestions?

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #47,137 of 48,578
I also have a similar question here. Could I get some DAC/AMP suggestions for my HD800s/8xx(in the future) too? I prefer a simple desk, so I'm thinking of the RME ADI 2 DAC, but I'm also interested in the Babyface Pro(which has a mic XLR input practical for gaming). Then I saw a video that the Monolith THX DACAMP provides better imaging and soundstage...and I'm having trouble choosing among them. My budget is about 1500$ for the DACAMP and I'm using the audio setup only for PC(Games, movies, music) Can I get some suggestions?
I have an HD800S and if I was looking for a new inexpensive but powerful and clean amp to use with it, I have always been very curious to try either of the THX amps from Monoprice or Massdrop, balanced.

Particularly if you are gaming, I feel like the return on expensive equipment diminishes a little given the options nowadays. Especially when you add in virtual surround DSPs.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #47,138 of 48,578
I have an HD800S and if I was looking for a new inexpensive but powerful and clean amp to use with it, I have always been very curious to try either of the THX amps from Monoprice or Massdrop, balanced.

Particularly if you are gaming, I feel like the return on expensive equipment diminishes a little given the options nowadays. Especially when you add in virtual surround DSPs.
I heard you don't want a THX amp with HD800s due to how clinical the amps are.

No Jotunheim or Lyr?

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #47,139 of 48,578
I heard you don't want a THX amp with HD800s due to how clinical the amps are.

No Jotunheim or Lyr?
My understanding is both of those will work Jot 2 and Lyr 3. I have a Lyr 3 on order.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #47,140 of 48,578
I have a Jot 2 being replaced, but if I didn't I'd go Lyr 3 myself. Going balanced is cool and all, but I think having the simplicity of SE, and the magic of tubes would really float my boat. Maybe next time...

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #47,141 of 48,578
I currently have the AKG K7XX headphones/ModMic 5.0 with a 2015 Astro Mixamp Pro and Schitt Magni 2 Uber that I use with a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I will eventually be getting an Xbox Series X and without the optical port I am unsure how to get the same surround sound and mic functionality on my current setup.

From what I have read I believe my setup is obsolete with the new consoles. I know there is an hdmi adapter, but I don't think it will work with my Mixamp because I don't believe I can update the firmware, if there is even a firmware update for older Mixamps.

I want to continue using my AKG K7XX/ModMic 5.0, if possible. Will I have to upgrade to a newer Mixamp? A gaming headset? Is there something else that is better that is compatible with both the Xbox Series X and PS5? All I want is proper surround sound and mic

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #47,142 of 48,578
I currently have the AKG K7XX headphones/ModMic 5.0 with a 2015 Astro Mixamp Pro and Schitt Magni 2 Uber that I use with a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I will eventually be getting an Xbox Series X and without the optical port I am unsure how to get the same surround sound and mic functionality on my current setup.

From what I have read I believe my setup is obsolete with the new consoles. I know there is an hdmi adapter, but I don't think it will work with my Mixamp because I don't believe I can update the firmware, if there is even a firmware update for older Mixamps.

I want to continue using my AKG K7XX/ModMic 5.0, if possible. Will I have to upgrade to a newer Mixamp? A gaming headset? Is there something else that is better that is compatible with both the Xbox Series X and PS5? All I want is proper surround sound and mic
I think there is a firmware update that allows audio via USB. I have almost the same setup as you.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #47,143 of 48,578
I think there is a firmware update that allows audio via USB. I have almost the same setup as you.
This is what my Astro Mixamp Pro 2015 looks like.
1628410118399.png

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #47,145 of 48,578
Tried DTS:X for the first time. It actually has really good rear cues to my ears, better than Atmos for Headphones. There is more of a "stage" so the audio is positioned more accurately in space behind you rather than Atmos' tendency to stick stuff at the back of my neck.

Unfortunately I only tried Warzone so verticality is really difficult to judge, because this game's object based audio is pretty bad. But if I did not already own Atmos I'd be tempted to get DTS:X instead. It also lets you select your headphones, from a fairly impressive selection which to me should almost be standard these days for serious virtualization.

People here were discussing another software based PC download for virtual audio, but I can't find the discussion. Not redscape or Waves, something else? I'm itching to try more stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back