Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 30, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #47,116 of 48,578
SBX is the entire suite of adjustable options under Acoustic Engine, not just the surround. So, EQ, Bass Boost, Crystalizer, Smart Volume, etc.

If Scout Mode is blinking on the G6, that means you're in Direct mode. That turns off all extra processing (i.e. all of the Acoustic Engine). Basically the cleanest path. But in direct mode, you can't even use a mic. That's just raw stereo.

And ys, I just turn on surround, and leave everything else off when I'm gaming. When I listen to music, I go to the playback, make the channel option to 2 channel/stereo, and turn on direct mode. When I game, I set it back to 7.1, disable direct mode, and turn on only surround. That's just me. I feel the G6 pops and makes noises if you try to listen to 2 channel sources while 7.1 is engaged, hence why I set it to stereo when not gaming/listening to a 5.1 or 7.1 source.

Thanks! Yeah I figured that is the only way to disable the SBX effects, but still keep the EQ. I disabled all individual sliders on the SBX page and put surround on 0. I think that disabled everything except for the EQ. I will only use it for gaming, so I just keep it this way. Only got 2.0 source (USB from PS5). So it is just an USB bridge with EQ right now.

Loving it so far though! Now I have better gear, the G6 is pretty mediocre by itself as a DAC/AMP. Still great bang for the buck but simply inferior.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #47,117 of 48,578
I’ll give that a shot! Thank you so much for the quick reply!!
The solution MLE provided is almost exactly the same thing I just did on my PS5. It works great. To add a little bit of information:

You will need to set up the G6 using the sound blaster command software on a computer, but for your use case, you really only need to do one thing if I understand correctly. Enable SPDIF-out Direct Mode in the "playback" tab. ELI5 This makes sure the only thing the G6 does, is take digital audio from USB, and pass it through over the optical cable. Your Mojo will do the Digital to Analogue conversion (aka DAC)

Since you need a 20 ft cable, I would do that as an optical cable between the G6 and Mojo. Optical cable has very little signal loss on longer distance. ELI5 Optical cable uses light through a tube, it cannot get influenced by other electrical signals.

Do not buy the absolutely cheapest optical cable you can find for this length, but don't let you fool into 3 digit cable prices either. A cable in the 20-50 price range should be fine. ELI5 Very cheap cable might introduce problems, but expensive optical cables make no sense because it doesn't need shielding (since it isn't an electrical signal).

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #47,118 of 48,578
Jul 31, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #47,119 of 48,578
I picked up a pair of Koss KSC75 clip-ons just for the heck of it lol (but mostly because I wanted a headphone I can slip on while sleeping and not be bothered by it). But then I got to thinking I might give em' a whirl for gaming as well because that sensation of not having headphones on your head might be nice and I've heard pretty good things about the sound quality.

Going to be interesting to see if I can do a HPEQ measurement for them on the Realiser A16 (should be possible since they aren't IEM's and can comfortably sit on top of the measurement microphones while they are in your ear.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #47,120 of 48,578
Looking for some basic setup advice on the Dolby Atmos app playing on Series X. What should I check or uncheck? I swap between a variety of headphones, Audio Technica 700x and I just bought the Steel Series 7x to use w/ both the XsX and PS5.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #47,121 of 48,578
Quick question: I have some HD800S's arriving next week and currently have my PC sound organised via a modded X-Fi Titanium HD going out through a JDS Atom and into my PC38X headset, will the JDS Atom still do the job and is there going to be any realworld difference if I replace the Atom with something like a Topping A30 Pro?

Cheers

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #47,122 of 48,578
The HD800S is known to be one of those that really demands some good amplification. I don't know much of the Atom, but I would definitely look into investing into an amp known to be good with it.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #47,123 of 48,578
Quick question: I have some HD800S's arriving next week and currently have my PC sound organised via a modded X-Fi Titanium HD going out through a JDS Atom and into my PC38X headset, will the JDS Atom still do the job and is there going to be any realworld difference if I replace the Atom with something like a Topping A30 Pro?

Cheers
If you are going to use the HD-800S, then look into upgrading your DAC and amp. The JDS Atom amp is a nice entry amp, but th equality of the HD-800S will scale with your gear improvement. If on a budget, a Schiit Asgard 3 + DAC of your choice would be a nice budget option. Even modded, my M300 MKII will trump the Titanium HD as a source.

On another note, I picked up a very nice set of TWS buds on Amazon, the Mpow M30's on the cheap. They use 6mm diaphram drivers, have Bluetooth 5, IPX8, and use Harman Curve tuning, I was rather surprised by the sound quality, a step up from the M5's I own. And due to Amazon banning Mpow's retailer acct due to playing games with getting positive reviews, they changed their name, and is clearing out all their Mpow branded gear. I bought these in black for $19.99 + 40% off coupon for a final price of $11.99. I just don't care for their stock silicone tips, and will be swapping them for some memory foam tips.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #47,124 of 48,578
Roger that, I looked for an Asgard locally but no supply. I ordered a Garage 1217 Horizon 3, looking forward to it. Re the Titanium, yeah I keep it because I prefer the CMSS for open world queues, feel most natural to me.

Even modded, my M300 MKII will trump the Titanium HD as a source.

Can you run me through how to keep CMSS with something like the M300? Is it possible?

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #47,126 of 48,578
Quick question: I have some HD800S's arriving next week and currently have my PC sound organized via a modded X-Fi Titanium HD going out through a JDS Atom and into my PC38X headset, will the JDS Atom still do the job and is there going to be any real world difference if I replace the Atom with something like a Topping A30 Pro?

Cheers
That T-HD (Titanium-HD) makes a nice DAC (I myself would also disable the onboard audio, in the BIOS, but not a big deal).
I myself would consider replacing the Atom, with the Topping A30, but real world noticeable improvement (maybe?).

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #47,127 of 48,578
That T-HD (Titanium-HD) makes a nice DAC (I myself would also disable the onboard audio, in the BIOS, but not a big deal).
I myself would consider replacing the Atom, with the Topping A30, but real world noticeable improvement (maybe?).
Cheers for that, I kinda like the Jotunheim and the Lyr as possible replacement amps too, kinda like twins SS & Tube. I can't give up the T-HD until something actually better comes along, not convinced the software replacements are equal let alone better atm.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #47,128 of 48,578
Yikes, Schiit back orders are NO ETA 😝

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #47,129 of 48,578
Hello
1) please tell how to run G6 in direct mode? I want to use it with ps5 to get tempest 3D audio. No sbx, only tempest!
2) run ratchet and clank and in menu they said that 3D audio (tempest) work with headphones plug into controller or by pulse 3D headset. So it’s not working with external usb dac?(I mean creative G6)
3) I try to connect my headphones to controller in ratchet and clank, and I can said it’s not a bad sound. I don’t notice much difference between this and G6 connection

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #47,130 of 48,578
@Mad Lust Envy

so those plastic puck pieces we were talking about on the he4xx are actually how the beyerdynamic dt 770 pros are held together. what i experienced when extending the headband is the the metal notches can slide through the plastic. i was wonder if there is a mod that can prevent this from happening? i can provide picture as a reference if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back