Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #46,291 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy the Redscape review was a great read and I appreciate all the great advice on the forum as well.

I am wondering about 3D Tempest vs SBX and what you have noticed as far as a comparison? I’m very new to VSS and it’s tough for me to describe, but I feel like the 3D tempest doesn’t have the depth or warmth of sbx (or maybe fullness/quality of the sound?). The positional accuracy seems to be great , but 3D tempest almost sounds “tinny” for lack of a better word. 3D tempest also seems to be more subjective and game specific. To my ears, shadow of the tomb raider sounds great, Cold War isn’t bad, but war zone really doesn’t sound all that good with tempest.

Any way, my setup is a G6 in direct mode for tempest, or used with an audio extractor for SBX, and the HD6XX. I’m wondering what you think is the best in terms of overall quality paired with positional accuracy?

Thanks for all you do and I hope this finds you well!

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #46,292 of 48,562
If a game does not support dolby atmos for headphone and the game is set to surround sound, will atmos for headphone result in VSS (such as what SBX does?).

Any opinions on SBX vs Atmos for headphone?

What is the consensus for some of the top consumer virtualization software?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #46,293 of 48,562
If a game does not support dolby atmos for headphone and the game is set to surround sound, will atmos for headphone result in VSS (such as what SBX does?).

Any opinions on SBX vs Atmos for headphone?

What is the consensus for some of the top consumer virtualization software?

Atmos is great for movies and music, and any games that are specifically designed for Atmos. Otherwise, I find SBX to be better. However, as of late, I've actually been liking DTS:X better than SBX - at least for FPS games.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #46,294 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy the Redscape review was a great read and I appreciate all the great advice on the forum as well.

I am wondering about 3D Tempest vs SBX and what you have noticed as far as a comparison? I’m very new to VSS and it’s tough for me to describe, but I feel like the 3D tempest doesn’t have the depth or warmth of sbx (or maybe fullness/quality of the sound?). The positional accuracy seems to be great , but 3D tempest almost sounds “tinny” for lack of a better word. 3D tempest also seems to be more subjective and game specific. To my ears, shadow of the tomb raider sounds great, Cold War isn’t bad, but war zone really doesn’t sound all that good with tempest.

Any way, my setup is a G6 in direct mode for tempest, or used with an audio extractor for SBX, and the HD6XX. I’m wondering what you think is the best in terms of overall quality paired with positional accuracy?

Thanks for all you do and I hope this finds you well!
I'm in agreement with you there. 3D Tempest is hit or miss, and can just sound plainly bad with some games. I definitely would use SBX on the G6 instead since you have the option. Tempest is good for those without a vss device.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #46,295 of 48,562
I'm in agreement with you there. 3D Tempest is hit or miss, and can just sound plainly bad with some games. I definitely would use SBX on the G6 instead since you have the option. Tempest is good for those without a vss device.
Thanks for the quick response! I will go back to using SBX for the moment and see how tempest improves over time.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #46,296 of 48,562
Hello guys! I'm basically a complete noob when it comes to headphones and I would like some advice on the best competitive headphones for 2021? Any suggestions? is the ad700x still the best?

The 2 I tried and liked the most:

AKG k702
Monolith M570
(activate VSS in windows: Dolby Atmos for Headphones, DTX:X, or Windows Sonic)

The 2 I tried and did not like:

AD900x: Great soundstage and imaging but the sound quality is poor, air is grainy, and separation of sounds is almost non-existent.
HE4XX: Good but not great soundstage, very good imaging, very good detail retrieval, requires high amplification through an external amp.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #46,297 of 48,562
Hey so I went ahead and bit the bullet, and bought a G6 for my PS4. Are there any optimal settings I should be aware about? I updated the device and drivers on Windows, and applied a Flat EQ because it initially sounded bass boosted.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #46,298 of 48,562
I just got my Hifiman Deva headphones while its only for gaming and an occasional movie. They sound really good but its almost sounds like there is a crackling sound not all the time. Happens a few times during youtube and on netflix, but haven't experience it in a game. Even if i change the volume the crackling still happens.

Also it happens very intermittent i could watch the same youtube video over and sometime it doesn't happen even if i leave the volume the same level both times

Could this be caused because i am using the Bluemini as an amp/dac

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #46,299 of 48,562
I just got my Hifiman Deva headphones while its only for gaming and an occasional movie. They sound really good but its almost sounds like there is a crackling sound not all the time. Happens a few times during youtube and on netflix, but haven't experience it in a game. Even if i change the volume the crackling still happens.

Also it happens very intermittent i could watch the same youtube video over and sometime it doesn't happen even if i leave the volume the same level both times

Could this be caused because i am using the Bluemini as an amp/dac

Try other headphones or speakers to try and replicate it.

No crap, but I kind of went through exactly what you're describing and couldn't work it out. Tried everything. Turns out I had an ear infection, and for some strange and weird reason an ear infection can sound like electronic static/or fuzz through headphones. Yep, bizarre.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #46,300 of 48,562
Hey so I went ahead and bit the bullet, and bought a G6 for my PS4. Are there any optimal settings I should be aware about? I updated the device and drivers on Windows, and applied a Flat EQ because it initially sounded bass boosted.

Set the "Surround" setting to anywhere from 50 to 67. I personally prefer 50, but that's just me. Other than that, EQ if you feel you need to until you reach the sound signature you like.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #46,301 of 48,562
Set the "Surround" setting to anywhere from 50 to 67. I personally prefer 50, but that's just me. Other than that, EQ if you feel you need to until you reach the sound signature you like.

This is pretty helpful actually.

As far as I can tell, direct mode isn’t a thing on console and scout mode doesn’t really interest me. High gain is nice for my T60RP Argons but I don’t really game with them. Low gain powers my HD600 easily enough.

So I should have flat eq > 67 surround > SBX and leave it be.

I’m actually interested in using the G6 to output to another amp and seeing if that improves the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #46,302 of 48,562
This is pretty helpful actually.

As far as I can tell, direct mode isn’t a thing on console and scout mode doesn’t really interest me. High gain is nice for my T60RP Argons but I don’t really game with them. Low gain powers my HD600 easily enough.

So I should have flat eq > 67 surround > SBX and leave it be.

I’m actually interested in using the G6 to output to another amp and seeing if that improves the sound.
Amp won't fix the narrow soundstage and imaging of the HD-600.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #46,304 of 48,562
Well, the G6 isn't a powerful amp, certainly not one to make HD600 shine. Just because it plays loud doesn't mean the headroom is there. The HD600 is what, 300ohm? I think you'd do better with a desktop amp attached to the G6 for it. Though I still wouldn't expect miracles.

The HD600 isn't a "full" sounding headphone to begin with.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #46,305 of 48,562
I use the HD660S atm for gaming open world and love it, though I have the PC38x on the water as we speak and I'm frothing at the bit to see how they go, so exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back