Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #45,871 of 48,562
Why not just get a really isolating headphone? Don't waste your money on noise cancelling.

The physical air pressure sensation discomfort from the noise cancelling is much, much worse than any noise, IMHO.
That's what I would suggest as well. Try closed back or half open headphones with a bit of isolation. Or in-ears - however, you will lose some sound stage with some.
When it's really quiet, even many open headphones work with just a bit of volume. NC is just quite expensive and most don't sound that well. (I'm not that happy with my B&W PX and not a fan of Bose QC either)

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #45,872 of 48,562
Well, yea, I noticed that for music with my hd6xx, noise isn't an issue, because music basically has no dynamic range. Like, you aren't going to notice ambient noise if the audio is constantly loud. However, for games and videos, I think fan noise may be a significant bottleneck. Yea, I was looking at the bose qc. People are basically giving away the older models. But I don't even know if it will be effective in a home context. All the reviews talk about airplane engines and such.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #45,874 of 48,562
I will continue to sing this little device's praises. Love it. Sadly unless there is such a thing as an HDMI extractor with a USB output this thing will always be PC only.... (since consoles will never output surround PCM over USB...sadface)

See, I genuinely thought with the consoles removing the optical port, they would finally enable surround over USB this generation.
I just don't understand why they limit it to stereo - have Sony/MS ever given the rationale as to why?

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #45,875 of 48,562
I wonder if their ends up eventually being issues using the Penrose X on the PS5 if Audeze would consider selling just the PS5/Penrose dongle separately.

Assuming the dongle is the only difference

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #45,877 of 48,562
See, I genuinely thought with the consoles removing the optical port, they would finally enable surround over USB this generation.
I just don't understand why they limit it to stereo - have Sony/MS ever given the rationale as to why?

Sony certainly allows Tempest 3D audio through the USB I am currently using the SoundblasterX G6 for that. Microsoft I am very disappointed in especially since they had very consumer friendly practices with most of their business model this seems like a cash grab.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #45,879 of 48,562
Sony certainly allows Tempest 3D audio through the USB I am currently using the SoundblasterX G6 for that. Microsoft I am very disappointed in especially since they had very consumer friendly practices with most of their business model this seems like a cash grab.
Tempest 3D via USB provides 2 channels of audio

I have the G6 connected to the PS5 for Tempest audio and power (USB power always on). SBX VSS button off, DD light is off.
The SBX G6 is also connected via optical to the TV. Both the PS5 and XsX deliver DD via HDMI which goes through optical to the G6. SBX VSS button on, DD light is on..
I can also set the XsX to HDMI Headphone via HDMI which gives me DAH or DTSHX via optical. SBX VSS button off, DD light is off.
I feed the optical out of the SBX to the optical in of an iFi Micro iDSD, allows me to use all my cans. Pretty nice sound.

Also receiving the Penrose today, I wonder how that one will compare.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #45,880 of 48,562
My guess is, that they thought that everyone, who cares about audio, will either use Tempest or eARC anyway.
Not that versatile, but cheaper to produce.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #45,881 of 48,562
Tempest 3D via USB provides 2 channels of audio

I'm not sure what you mean by this. How many channels of audio would you need for a headphone?

Tempest takes stereo audio and adds the VSS emulation that any other engine such as dolby atmos would add to it. From what I understand you don't get 7.1 channels as that doesn't make sense with headphones since they are a 2 channel source (which is why all the advertised 7.1 headphones are bs). So in effect this is how it is supposed to work.

They don't have it running through HDMI yet as I am sure they are still working on its 5.1, 7.1 etc, speaker encoding.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #45,882 of 48,562
My guess is, that they thought that everyone, who cares about audio, will either use Tempest or eARC anyway.
Not that versatile, but cheaper to produce.
I already had to replace my monitor with one that has the ability to accept 4k as input and display it as 1440p because sony doesnt support 1440p... monitors that support this are extremely rare and now we also need eArc? That doesn’t exist on monitors at all to my knowledge... come on Sony

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #45,883 of 48,562
I have the G6 connected to the PS5 for Tempest audio and power (USB power always on). SBX VSS button off, DD light is off.
The SBX G6 is also connected via optical to the TV. Both the PS5 and XsX deliver DD via HDMI which goes through optical to the G6. SBX VSS button on, DD light is on..
I can also set the XsX to HDMI Headphone via HDMI which gives me DAH or DTSHX via optical. SBX VSS button off, DD light is off.
I feed the optical out of the SBX to the optical in of an iFi Micro iDSD, allows me to use all my cans. Pretty nice sound.

Also receiving the Penrose today, I wonder how that one will compare.

Haha a lot of acronyms in there was a difficult read but that is how I am planning on eventually using the soundblaster with the xbox through my TV's optical port. Have you purchased an extended mini-optical cable that you like?

Also does the DD light mean anything on the PS5 console outside of movies? And a final question is it possible to turn off the VSS on the soundblaster and just have the equalizer running as I have tried turning it off but then it turns off the equalizer for me as well.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #45,884 of 48,562
I'm not sure what you mean by this. How many channels of audio would you need for a headphone?

Tempest takes stereo audio and adds the VSS emulation that any other engine such as dolby atmos would add to it. From what I understand you don't get 7.1 channels as that doesn't make sense with headphones since they are a 2 channel source (which is why all the advertised 7.1 headphones are bs). So in effect this is how it is supposed to work.

They don't have it running through HDMI yet as I am sure they are still working on its 5.1, 7.1 etc, speaker encoding.
You would need 2, one left and one right. With Tempest basically the PS5 already did the work for you that the G6 otherwise would do, being mapping surround sound to 2 channels in such a way it is believable surround sound.

I would advice against adding even more surround simulation to that, even if it were an 8 channel output (which it’s not, because Tempest already did the work).

Tempest is not active on the HDMI output though so if you take it via the TV or intercept it with an extractor you should be fine using 8 channels for your own 3d audio simulation solution of choice.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #45,885 of 48,562
You would need 2, one left and one right. With Tempest basically the PS5 already did the work for you that the G6 otherwise would do, being mapping surround sound to 2 channels in such a way it is believable surround sound.

This is essentially exactly what I was trying to say as well in my middle paragraph, and yes I don't want to add anymore VSS I only want the equalizer to work as that would allow me to apply a Harmon curved eq to my headphones on the playstation, which I would like to try out without the added soundblaster VSS but I have not been able to do this and was asking if anyone else has found a way.

Tempest isn't currently active through HDMI although Sony has promised this will be patched in eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back