Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #45,886 of 48,568
Here's things people need to understand between converting 5 or 7 channels into 2 channels (for stereo or headphones), and converting 5 or 7 channels into virtual surround into 2 channels.

There's extra procesing being done before the final result of getting the audio to become 2 channels for stereo or headphones.

Basic stereo. Most things, like your TV speakers will take a 5 or 7 channel source, and process that down to the essentials left and right audio. That's it. No extra processing being done. Whatever is to the left or right (regardless of whether it's in front or behind you), get thrown to one channel: left or right.

Virtual surround: Things like Tempest 3D Audio, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, Creative SBX, etc. These will take the 5 or 7 channel source, process that into a virtual processing that will emulate multiple speakers, and THEN process that down into 2 channels for your headphones. So yes, the end result is 2 channels, but the sound was processed to emulate multiple speakers.

So yes, just because someone says USB = 2 channels, doesn''t mean it's basic stereo. In the terms of Sony's Tempest 3D Audio, of course it's sending 2 channels to something like the Creative G6. Tempest 3D audio already converted the 5/7 channel source down to 2 channel before sending it to the Creative G6.

The only downside of 2 channel through USB for the G6 is that you won't be able to get the proper SBX experience, since SBX requires 5/7 channels to work properly (which SBX turns into processed 2 channel). This is why you want the G6 to get the optical output of your TV or receiver (as long as they are sending Dolby Digital) into the optical input of the G6.

If you're using Sony Tempest, you don't need SBX, if you're using SBX, you don't need Tempest 3D audio. And you definitely do not want to use both at the same time.

AT NO POINT IN ANY METHOD WILL YOUR HEADPHONES EVER GET 5 OR 7 CHANNELS, UNLESS YOUR HEADPHONE IS TRUE SURROUND, WHICH SUCKS.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #45,887 of 48,568
And a final question is it possible to turn off the VSS on the soundblaster and just have the equalizer running as I have tried turning it off but then it turns off the equalizer for me as well.

Yes. I am currently using the G6 only through USB. The PS5 is doing the Tempest 3D VSS internally but I still use the equalizer only to add some bass.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #45,888 of 48,568
Does the audio stream on the controller improve if you use the USB cord mode?

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #45,890 of 48,568
what USB cable do ya'll recommend for the mobius? From what i understand with the previous posts is it DOES work with tempest after all? My PS5 is pretty far from my couch and the cable i have is too stiff.

I dont want to invest in new headphones, but the G6 i think is reasonable. Anyone have a feeling on how the G6 with the old maddogs would compare to just the mobius? with the PS5 and PC

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #45,891 of 48,568
Does the audio stream on the controller improve if you use the USB cord mode?
That's actually a good question.

The PS4/PS5 controllers have two options, wireless and usb mode. There is a setting to change which is between the two.

I haven't tested audio through usb mode. This may very well fix mic quality through the controller.

I'll test that out soon.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #45,892 of 48,568
I have no idea what you are asking. The audio is much better plugged into the G6 from the USB than from the Dualsense, if that's what you are asking.

If you use your Dualsense wirelessly you are sending data via Bluetooth. If you plug in a USB cord it will send the data via the cord for less latency. I have no idea if it affects the audio or not. The cord that comes with the PS5 is too short for me to test it out comfortably. I have no desire to buy another USB DAC since I just bought one not that long ago.

Assuming Sony doesn't update the functionality anytime soon I'm stuck with either using the controller or buying something like the Penrose.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #45,894 of 48,568
I'm not sure what you mean by this. How many channels of audio would you need for a headphone?

Tempest takes stereo audio and adds the VSS emulation that any other engine such as dolby atmos would add to it. From what I understand you don't get 7.1 channels as that doesn't make sense with headphones since they are a 2 channel source (which is why all the advertised 7.1 headphones are bs). So in effect this is how it is supposed to work.

They don't have it running through HDMI yet as I am sure they are still working on its 5.1, 7.1 etc, speaker encoding.
Here's things people need to understand between converting 5 or 7 channels into 2 channels (for stereo or headphones), and converting 5 or 7 channels into virtual surround into 2 channels.

There's extra procesing being done before the final result of getting the audio to become 2 channels for stereo or headphones.

Basic stereo. Most things, like your TV speakers will take a 5 or 7 channel source, and process that down to the essentials left and right audio. That's it. No extra processing being done. Whatever is to the left or right (regardless of whether it's in front or behind you), get thrown to one channel: left or right.

Virtual surround: Things like Tempest 3D Audio, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, Creative SBX, etc. These will take the 5 or 7 channel source, process that into a virtual processing that will emulate multiple speakers, and THEN process that down into 2 channels for your headphones. So yes, the end result is 2 channels, but the sound was processed to emulate multiple speakers.

So yes, just because someone says USB = 2 channels, doesn''t mean it's basic stereo. In the terms of Sony's Tempest 3D Audio, of course it's sending 2 channels to something like the Creative G6. Tempest 3D audio already converted the 5/7 channel source down to 2 channel before sending it to the Creative G6.

The only downside of 2 channel through USB for the G6 is that you won't be able to get the proper SBX experience, since SBX requires 5/7 channels to work properly (which SBX turns into processed 2 channel). This is why you want the G6 to get the optical output of your TV or receiver (as long as they are sending Dolby Digital) into the optical input of the G6.

If you're using Sony Tempest, you don't need SBX, if you're using SBX, you don't need Tempest 3D audio. And you definitely do not want to use both at the same time.

AT NO POINT IN ANY METHOD WILL YOUR HEADPHONES EVER GET 5 OR 7 CHANNELS, UNLESS YOUR HEADPHONE IS TRUE SURROUND, WHICH SUCKS.
@Ted23 I thought you were conflating Tempest 3D audio with actual pre-processed 5.1/7.1 signals. As I was talking about the USB limitation of the new generation of consoles for using VSS like SXFI and GSX etc

I'm fully aware that surround for headphones is 2 channels, of course it is! (unless you have a headphone with multiple drivers).

I was asking if anyone was aware of a particular reason why Sony/MS refuse to send 5.1/7.1 signals via USB - and by extension not supporting VSS solutions by Sennheiser and Creative and the like.

I use the optical method with my LG CX for Dolby Headphone, although that is limited to a 5.1 signal. Although I have heard that for VSS 7.1 doesnt confer considerable benefit over 5.1 but have never tested it myself

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #45,896 of 48,568
I already had to replace my monitor with one that has the ability to accept 4k as input and display it as 1440p because sony doesnt support 1440p... monitors that support this are extremely rare and now we also need eArc? That doesn’t exist on monitors at all to my knowledge... come on Sony
They already mentioned in an interview that their audience is people using a TV on a PS4 - that's why 1440p is not supported. Therefore, relying on eARC actually makes sense. :frowning2:
Still, they mentioned that maybe in the future 1440p will be a thing - likely, depending on how many people really plug in monitors instead of TVs. Again... meaning that the chance is zero.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #45,898 of 48,568
Another question I have is whether headphones like the Shure Aonic 50 or Sennheiser Momentum 3 work when using a USB C connection directly to the PS5 console?

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #45,899 of 48,568
Not only better but can be driven at higher levels. The controller on PS5 has a pretty weak amp.

I concur. Although I found the controller surprisingly good (better than on the PS4), there's no comparison when plugged into the G6. I got used to the Tempest sound and now find it awesome personally. Hope more games uses it well in the future.

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #45,900 of 48,568
Is Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby, Bitstream DTS, settings for the LG B9 TV or the PS5?
If you set the PS5 for linear PCM 2-channel (stereo) output, then set the TV for Linear PCM output, you will then get stereo (2.0) output to the headphones.
If you set the PS5 to output 5.1 (6-channel) PCM output, then the headphones would normally not pick up all the channels (plugged into the TV's headphone jack.
If you set the PS5 audio out to (5.1) Bitstream Dolby or Bitstream DTS, then the TV has to decode the Bitstream, but guessing(?) the TV can not process that audio into headphone surround sound, so limited audio to the headphones.
But I'm also making just making guesses.
Yeah I am talking about ps5 settings.

so what I need to select in ps5 audio settings for
Better sound of my tv? Choose ps5 linear pcm and tv also switch to this mode? Or I need to select beatstrem?

mad lust , maybe you can tel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back