Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #45,856 of 48,568
The more I listen to the Tempest 3D audio with the g6 the more I like it. It feels a bit less “wide” than the surround through optical but i feel it also sounds a bit more natural. But the tempest really isn’t equal on all games. It sounds good on Miles Morales but a bit flat on Spider-Man Remasterered. But maybe I’m imagining things. What are your impressions guys?

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #45,857 of 48,568
From what I read from reviews the X3 generally gets less good reviews than the G6. I have a G6 and never had an X3.
Although the X3 also has SXFI together with SB VSS I read someone recommending the combo of SXFI AMP + G6 over the X3 fopr those who want both (both VSS used separately of course, not in tandem).
I think the X3 doesn't have an optical in either and it doesn't work via USB with the PS5.
Seems to me the x3 works with ps5 - it recognizes it as the x3, and 3d audio is on.

update: for whatever reason plugging the pc38x into the controller sounds better than through the x3 so maybe something is wrong.

Also a/b testing the pc38x with the penrose on demons souls and I’m having a hard time finding anything I like better about the penrose. I know MLE said tempest sounds best on penrose so maybe I need to switch eq settings

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #45,858 of 48,568
Still a couple of questions regarding the G6 (plugged in PS5)

- When using the SBX Surround feature, is there an advantage over using the optical port vs the USB only? (assuming Tempest is turned off). I've tried both and the sound sounds the same. Is the Dolby Digital through optical mostly useful for movies?

- Whenever I use the laptop to set a new profile and plug it in the PS5 (where it seems to work fine), if I come back to plug it in the laptop the settings are always lost. It's like if it's crushing my profile with the "Gaming" profile for some reason.

EDIT: Rebooting my laptop solved that issue.

- I often hear random popping noises during gaming (and it's often related to sound coming from the rear). Did anyone experience this at all? With this and the random disconnecting, I'm just wondering if I have a defective unit.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #45,859 of 48,568
- When using the SBX Surround feature, is there an advantage over using the optical port vs the USB only? (assuming Tempest is turned off). I've tried both and the sound sounds the same. Is the Dolby Digital through optical mostly useful for movies?

PS5 does not output Dolby Digital 5.1 through usb so optical is needed if you want to use G6 SBX VSS.

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #45,860 of 48,568
PS5 does not output Dolby Digital 5.1 through usb so optical is needed if you want to use G6 SBX VSS.

Strange because turning on SBX with USB only does make the sound seemingly "surround". I can hear things behind me (note that that the 3D Sound is off on the PS5). But maybe it,s simply my brain figuring out that things are behind.

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #45,862 of 48,568
Yes, it's just expanded stereo. It's literally taking from a 2.0 PCM signal.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #45,863 of 48,568
I ended up
Yes, it's just expanded stereo. It's literally taking from a 2.0 PCM signal.
I wonder why some headset like the HyperX Cloud 2 can seemingly do VSS 7.1 over USB. (Or so the marketing on the box says!) although I have them and the VSS does sound like pure crap.
Édit: I guess it’s intended to work only on PCs

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #45,864 of 48,568
What type of audio output I need to chose?
Ps5+LG B9

I connect my headphones in the back of TV (3,5 jack) and run ps5. Audio goes to headphones, all is ok. But what type of sound I need to chose?
liner pcm
Bitstream dolby
Bitstream dts

I noticed that when I select liner PCM and run Tsushima - the sound is not normal (voice only in left ear, and horse steps don’t hear while riding. When I switch to bitstream sound coming better.I hear horse steps and etc. ENVY, what is correct selection of this type of sound output? Bitstream or linar pcm?

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #45,865 of 48,568
What type of audio output I need to chose?
Ps5+LG B9

I connect my headphones in the back of TV (3,5 jack) and run ps5. Audio goes to headphones, all is ok. But what type of sound I need to chose?
linear pcm
Bitstream dolby
Bitstream dts

I noticed that when I select linear PCM and run Tsushima - the sound is not normal (voice only in left ear, and horse steps don’t hear while riding. When I switch to bitstream sound coming better.I hear horse steps and etc. ENVY, what is correct selection of this type of sound output? Bitstream or linear pcm?
Is Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby, Bitstream DTS, settings for the LG B9 TV or the PS5?
If you set the PS5 for linear PCM 2-channel (stereo) output, then set the TV for Linear PCM output, you will then get stereo (2.0) output to the headphones.
If you set the PS5 to output 5.1 (6-channel) PCM output, then the headphones would normally not pick up all the channels (plugged into the TV's headphone jack.
If you set the PS5 audio out to (5.1) Bitstream Dolby or Bitstream DTS, then the TV has to decode the Bitstream, but guessing(?) the TV can not process that audio into headphone surround sound, so limited audio to the headphones.
But I'm also making just making guesses.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #45,866 of 48,568
After spending the weekend comparing Tempest 3D vs Soundblaster SBX VSS vs the old Dolby Headphone VSS of my Harman Kardon, my conclusion is that the quality really depends on the source. In the case of Tempest, I activate SBX only to use the Equalizer and add a bit of bass. When I use the Surround through optical I set it 70.

My (personal) preference are the following:

- Demon Souls: Tempest.
- Astros Playroom: Tempest
- Miles Morales: Tempest, but not by much.
- Any PS4 games: Soundblaster VSS
- Movies: Dolby Headphone

Honestly, to ease the setup in my living room, I will probably use the G6 only for Tempest through USB and whenever I don't like the sound I'll revert to my Dolby Headphone setup. I don't feel like passing an optical wire AND a USB wire all the way to my couch.

The bottom line for me is that Tempest is shaping to be very good. It's a bit less "wide" than the other solutions but I find the sound more natural. (the G6 feels slightly processed to my ears) Hopefully it will become better over the coming years. Hope there's a more thorough test and setup than just selecting a level while hearing rain.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #45,867 of 48,568
After spending the weekend comparing Tempest 3D vs Soundblaster SBX VSS vs the old Dolby Headphone VSS of my Harman Kardon, my conclusion is that the quality really depends on the source. In the case of Tempest, I activate SBX only to use the Equalizer and add a bit of bass. When I use the Surround through optical I set it 70.

My (personal) preference are the following:

- Demon Souls: Tempest.
- Astros Playroom: Tempest
- Miles Morales: Tempest, but not by much.
- Any PS4 games: Soundblaster VSS
- Movies: Dolby Headphone

Honestly, to ease the setup in my living room, I will probably use the G6 only for Tempest through USB and whenever I don't like the sound I'll revert to my Dolby Headphone setup. I don't feel like passing an optical wire AND a USB wire all the way to my couch.

The bottom line for me is that Tempest is shaping to be very good. It's a bit less "wide" than the other solutions but I find the sound more natural. (the G6 feels slightly processed to my ears) Hopefully it will become better over the coming years. Hope there's a more thorough test and setup than just selecting a level while hearing rain.
Are we sure the g6 is working properly with ps5? My x3 is recognized and 3D audio shows as on but the controller sounds better so I think something is wrong.

If anyone can point me to more resources stating the x3 does not work with ps5 I would be grateful.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #45,869 of 48,568
I'm thinking about picking up some noise cancelling headphones on a whim. My computer is quiet, but not inaudible. But the noise is low frequencies from 140mm fans, so I figure it should cancel really well.

Has anyone done this? Will it work like I'm imagining?

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #45,870 of 48,568
Why not just get a really isolating headphone? Don't waste your money on noise cancelling.

The physical air pressure sensation discomfort from the noise cancelling is much, much worse than any noise, IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back