Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 3, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #45,826 of 48,583
I think the consensus is that the X7 will sound better and has a more powerful amp with the capability of further enhancing the sound when swapping op-amps. That said, the X7 is not recognized by the PS5 over usb, so you’re not going to be using Tempest with it at the moment.

As an X7 owner, I have not heard the G6 myself, but I understand the differences in sound quality are not massive with the stock op-amp configuration. If you want Tempest compatibility and don’t need the speaker taps on the X7, the g6 is a no brainer.
Yes, if you send Tempest, turn SXFI off.
SXFI VSS works with stereo signals as well, not sure if it would sound as good as SBX VSS which is based on 6 channels.
Don't turn on Tempest + SXFI at the same time, double VSS would sound off.
All in all, the SXFI Amps works on the PS5 but the G6 is still the more versatile amp.
As for X7, it doesn't work on the PS5 (as I read, I don't have one now) but even if it did I would still prefer the G6 going out to a DAC/AMP of my choice than the built-in amp in the X7. The amp is good and powerful but there are better things out there, albeit at double the price.
Thx for the quick replies. Hmm... okay... back to my (hated) Highter Technical school electronics education. Any issues with guarantee or how difficult is it to change those op-amps (or even get them... is it a component lottery, meaning buying x components and choose the right ones?)
Because that might sound like a "not worth it" :frowning2:.

So, without changing the op-amps, a G6 + e. g. a Beyerdynamics A2/A20 (or a Schiit whatever is good... I'm really new in Amps) might be a better deal (and even not that expensive...). even a Sound Blaster AE-9 was on my monitor, but that amp and sound card has some mixed reputation :D. Whereas, the G6 and X7 are quite well received.

As I don't have a PS5 yet, I might wait for my new PC as well.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #45,827 of 48,583
I guess my question from a few pages ago might have been lost: Is pluggin the G6 with a 20 feet long USB and optical cable ok? I'm at about 10 feet from the TV but need more than that to circle the shelf, go under the rug and come out behind the couch.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #45,829 of 48,583
Yes, that sounds right.
USB will give you stereo only (into which the Tempest VSS is mixed), optical gives you up to 6 channels (which DD is) and the SBX processing turns it into a stereo VSS for your headphones.
Do you get the G6 Dolby indicator light turn on? I have USB connected to PS5 and Optical from LG C9 to Optical In ->G6.
I stream Dolby content from the C9 apps but never get the Dolby light on the G6.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #45,830 of 48,583
Do you get the G6 Dolby indicator light turn on? I have USB connected to PS5 and Optical from LG C9 to Optical In ->G6.
I stream Dolby content from the C9 apps but never get the Dolby light on the G6.

is your TV set to output sound to audio system ? (And not to tv speakers)

Stupid question: I used the pc software to setup a profile and also set the “X” on top of the G6 to purple. But whenever I plug it in the ps5 it becomes red. Is that normal? Just want to make sure my audio settings are saved on it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #45,832 of 48,583
Good review for the Penrose. I liked the Mobius when I owned it but if I'm being honest I expect more in the build department at that price point. I think if wireless isn't something you absolutely need I wouldn't choose it over the PC38x.

I'm waiting on my G6 as I think the combination of that plus a decent headphone will be great for console and PC use.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #45,834 of 48,583
I guess my question from a few pages ago might have been lost: Is pluggin the G6 with a 20 feet long USB and optical cable ok? I'm at about 10 feet from the TV but need more than that to circle the shelf, go under the rug and come out behind the couch.
I do the same at 35-40 ft, so you should be perfectly fine.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #45,839 of 48,583
Yes, if you send Tempest, turn SXFI off.
SXFI VSS works with stereo signals as well, not sure if it would sound as good as SBX VSS which is based on 6 channels.
Don't turn on Tempest + SXFI at the same time, double VSS would sound off.
All in all, the SXFI Amps works on the PS5 but the G6 is still the more versatile amp.
As for X7, it doesn't work on the PS5 (as I read, I don't have one now) but even if it did I would still prefer the G6 going out to a DAC/AMP of my choice than the built-in amp in the X7. The amp is good and powerful but there are better things out there, albeit at double the price.
I would assume that toggling SXFI off, on the amp, would also result in you losing the head-mapping benefits.
So disabling SXFI essentially just passes Tempest VSS unaltered - as it would be via mixamp, G6, dualsense etc

In which case theres no reason to choose it over the G6

Personally I was hoping there was some way to disable to amp's VSS, but retain the head-mapping functionality to benefit Tempest VSS but I guess it cant work like that

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #45,840 of 48,583
Stupid question: I used the pc software to setup a profile and also set the “X” on top of the G6 to purple. But whenever I plug it in the ps5 it becomes red. Is that normal? Just want to make sure my audio settings are saved on it.

That is normal. The light color option only works with PC. Other settings should be saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back