Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #45,676 of 48,583
Today was the first time that I tried to play CoD Warzone with PS5 and Tempest 3D audio. The setup was PS5 --> USB --> G6 --> optical --> HDV820 --> HD800S

It sounded a bit weird. Maybe it just takes a bit time to get used to it. I will keep testing and double check the G6 settings.

I was able to pinpoint the sounds and there is definitely better height information.

I just feel that the sound is not so clear and the different game sounds blend a bit more compared to the SBX

It was loud enough. PS5 volume about 90%, Game main volume 80% and HDV820 volume 25% was good for me.

Edit: I had something wrong with my G6 settings. Now I have to say that I like the sound. No distortion and definitely loud enough.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #45,677 of 48,583
I have used the LCD-X, Arya, Sundara, and HD660S and most of the time the volume is too low to be enjoyable. At max volume, the Sundara is the only one that sounds reasonably loud. I never used the 3.5mm with my PS4 bc my headphones sounded better through USB.

Really?! That sucks! I would think it would work through USB from the console to the Mobius like other USB headphones. Glad I checked here first before pulling the trigger on them.
It's because ps5 didn't support UAC2 devices, only UAC1 and whatever Sony allows.

And yeah, Tempest 3D absolutely takes some time to get used to compared to things like SBX. Give it time.

Kinda like how stereo players need time to get used to VSS, lol.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #45,678 of 48,583
Ok so I'm retesting the PS5 with the G6. At high volume, with nothing playing, the G6 is quite hissy on either usb mode, or as an amp through the controller.

That's bad news, as we're gonna be dealing with some noise floor.

I'll try through the hdmi out/tv optical.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #45,679 of 48,583
It's because ps5 didn't support UAC2 devices, only UAC1 and whatever Sony allows.

And yeah, Tempest 3D absolutely takes some time to get used to compared to things like SBX. Give it time.

Kinda like how stereo players need time to get used to VSS, lol.
I didn’t even think that the Mobius was UAC2.......
If they ever enable 3D audio over HDMI and UAC2 through an update it would make a ton of people very happy.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #45,680 of 48,583
I have used the LCD-X, Arya, Sundara, and HD660S and most of the time the volume is too low to be enjoyable. At max volume, the Sundara is the only one that sounds reasonably loud. I never used the 3.5mm with my PS4 bc my headphones sounded better through USB.

Same experience here, the amp in the PS5 controller is pretty weak.
I use a portable amp between the controller and headphones.
I must say the output of an Xbox controller is much louder.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #45,682 of 48,583
i will be buying a schiit asgard 3 as my amp
I own the DT880 600-Ohm and have had no reason to use it for years.
Soundmagic HP200 is like a combo of the DT880/DT990, I prefer the HP200 over the DT880/DT990.
I would try and talk you into the Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, it's my preferred setup.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #45,683 of 48,583
I must say the output of an Xbox controller is much louder.
Which headphones have you tested, that can be driven straight out of the XBOX controller, with no need for an amp?
If I ever manage to get my hands on an XBOX, I will need headphones for my son, so I can keep my sanity while he's playing... :wink:

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #45,684 of 48,583
Ok so disregard my earlier statement on G6 and hiss. Honestly, there's some....inconsistency with the ps5, and now it's dead silent as it should be. I don't know what it is about this system, but it's all over the place.

Also, unfortunately, 3D audio is a bit...effed especially in the bass, where it sounds like a distorted, crunchy mess when things like explosions occur.

I'll still be using it because of positional advantages, but if you have VSS...just go for that. 3D audio needs a fix asap. Don't judge your headphones based on how 3D audio sounds, especially in bassy explosions.

MLE would you mind posting your G6 settings? Just picked one up and was curious what you use in terms of profile.

I leave all the enhancements off. I only turn on SBX at 100% surround, and make sure the device is at 7.1. Disable everything else.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #45,686 of 48,583
Well, you can still toggle SBX on the G6 through usb. Though you wouldn't want to as it's just expanding stereo.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #45,687 of 48,583
I saw this on Reddit and I thought I'd share:

Guide: How to get your DAC to work on PS5

The PS5 as we know it supports only UAC1.0 (USB Audio Class 1.0), a standard dating back over 20 years. It's specifications are lower in bit and hz as compared to UAC2.0; modern DACs such as the ones from Schiit and others follow the newer specification. That's why they don't work on the PS5 through USB.
Although you can split the audio from HDMI and produce an optical/digital signal, you won't be able to use the 3D audio from the Tempest Engine as of now; it is only available through USB audio devices such as arctis 7p, the pulse 3d etc, which all use UAC1.0 and the controller.
To get your expensive DACs to work with the PS5, you need a UAC1.0 device that can OUTPUT Optical/Toslink or Coaxial Digital, and route that to your DAC. This way, the digital signal can pass through the the UAC1.0 device and enter your DAC without any alterations; though now your are limited to the specification of UAC1.0. This way you can use your own DAC/amp to power some high impedance headphones such as the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro. There is no way the DualSense can do this. Similarly, you can get your old Astro Mix amp working again.
The cheapest way is to buy a PCM2704 USB chip barebones. Or you can find cheap DACs that have this chip built-in, and link it to your actual DAC.
I have a Schiit stack (Magni 3 and Modi 3) and it works perfectly. It is connected through optical/Toslink to the UAC1.0 device and the 3D audio from the Tempest Engine sound is fantastic. In CoD Cold War, I use the AKG K7xx for Multiplayer where is is great for spacial awareness and the gun/explosion sound effects are realistic. In Zombies, I use the Sennheiser HD6xx as they make the zombie sound and feel so real, and any voice lines sound super clear and high quality. I own the pulse 3D and they sound muffled in comparison to both headphones mentioned above. But I would say the pulse 3d are a great value for their additional voice chat functionalities.
I hope this helps anyone who is looking to get their DAC to work on the PS5 without using the 3.5mm audio jack on the controller (has lag and audio is compressed for Bluetooth). Enjoy your 3D Tempest engine audio with your DACs!
PS5 (USB) -> UAC1.0 device (Optical/Toslink/CoaxialDigital) -> your DAC -> your amp -> your headphones.
This works with Nintendo Switch, PS4/PS5.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #45,688 of 48,583
I've been doing something similar with the Xonar U3 or G6 optical out to Modi 3 and Magni 3.

Still, a very nice find for those without uac1 devices that can output optical audio.

For $5-$15 it's an absolute no brainer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back