Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 27, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #45,031 of 48,578
The 712 Pro is a a little different. It held more of the soundstage, though it wqas def warmer and more bassy than the K702. I haven't heard the K7XX but I hear they're derived the Annie...
This is true, K7XX have the same flat memory foam pads and design as the Annie, FWIR.

I found a copy of Suikoden not too long ago, mean to play it! Suikoden II is so hard to find!!!

We should stream some multiplayer some time. Warzone has a feature to hide your gamer tag/PSN ID if you want.

@danterikxx, thanks so much! I haven’t found the best way to share yet, but I wouldn’t embed my videos on Mad’s thread without his permission. IMO, it’s his show here! However, I do hope to answer FAQs in such a way that he (and others) could use my videos instead of re-typing answers themselves over and over again 😉

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #45,032 of 48,578
This is true, K7XX have the same flat memory foam pads and design as the Annie, FWIR.

I found a copy of Suikoden not too long ago, mean to play it! Suikoden II is so hard to find!!!

We should stream some multiplayer some time. Warzone has a feature to hide your gamer tag/PSN ID if you want.

@danterikxx, thanks so much! I haven’t found the best way to share yet, but I wouldn’t embed my videos on Mad’s thread without his permission. IMO, it’s his show here! However, I do hope to answer FAQs in such a way that he (and others) could use my videos instead of re-typing answers themselves over and over again 😉

oh, sorry @Mad Lust Envy

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #45,033 of 48,578
Hello! I made an account just to ask for an opinion. I have been WRACKING MY BRAINS with choosing the perfect gaming headphones and as a total noob there was so much to learn before I settled on the Fidelio. But now I have some doubt and have switched over to ordering the SHP9500.

I have some questions for those willing to help me and put me out of my misery:

-I have a budget of $200 or $270 CDN

-I chose the Fidelios, orginally because of its supposed comfort and all-around greatness for music and games...but it seems the compliments come from those who play single player games and listen to music

-I play competitive FPS games 90% of the time. I don't listen to too much music, certainly nowhere as much as audiophiles. I heard so many opinions on Fidelios being serviceable for my gaming needs, to being flat out awful because of no depth, bad imaging, and difficulty in hearing footsteps over bass. I brushed all of this off because I figured upgrading from my HyperX Core's was bound to be an upgrade

-As early as last night, I decided to reconsider the Fidelios and go with the 9500 (not the S model if that makes a massive difference). It's supposedly lower on bass but the mid/treble is better for footsteps. I believe I read it has better imaging, so I am hoping this means I can track enemy footsteps well enough that it is a worthy upgrade from my HyperX

-I got the V-Moda Boomset and the convenience of that plugging into the Philips headphones is great

-I do hear negative opinions on the 9500 but I have to assume these come from audiophiles who are more sensitive to issues than I am, or those who are pickier about the gaming benefits. I assume the OVERALL benefits of clearer audio and positioning from my HyperX would make me satisfied.

SO FAR, is all of this pretty sensible reasoning? I should be more content with 9500 right?

And as an added bonus, the 9500 should make music/movies sound more impressive than my hyperx/iphone stock headset? Im not looking for a music/movie headphones. My primary interest is gaming and everything else is a cherry on top...but Im still curious if these headphones would be a noticeable step up from my HyperX.

I also have some alternative choices:

-HD 599. More expensive, and since I'm using gift cards, I dont mind spending within the budget. How do they compare in these areas: Gaming - Movies - Music. Significantly better than 9500? Marginal? Barely? Not at all?

-770 Pro (32 Ohms). Same questions as above.

-The one issue with these headphones is the incompatibility with the V-Moda mic. Would it be worth choosing these headphones over the 9500, even at the cost of having to buy a modmic and have 2 wires dangling off of me? I will be using these headphones on my PS4 controller too, so I would be buying the audio splitters too, just to connect the headphone and mic jack. All of this is very cluttered but if the HD 599 or 770 Pro is good enough over the 9500, I suppose I should just go for it

I know there are other suggestions out there, like the m50x or m40x, but unless you guys think those are head and shoulders better, I'd like to just settle on these 3

So TLDR:

-9500 over Fidelio for gaming, particularly MP shooter games for 90% of my use time. I hear the Fidelio is worse because of bass concealing footsteps and worse imaging and detecting the position of sounds. Good choice or should I stick with the Fidelio?

-Should I reconsider the 9500 and instead purchase the HD 599? The only downside I know of is that I'd need a modmic, which means two cables to deal with. I am willing to go this route if the HD 599 is that much better than the 9500. The wireless modmic is too expensive, so I will stick with the 3.5mm wired version.

-If not the HD 599, how about the M50x or M40x?

-Should I even just wait for the 9600 reviews? As it seems to be under my $200 budget, perhaps they will be significantly better? Or would it be a bad move to purchase new headphones until things like build quality and unforseeable issues are ironed out?

All I care about is good headphones for gaming. Everything else is secondary to this, though a very nice cherry on top.

I am so sorry if this is asked a hundred times, but I am so tired of scouring every corner of the internet for info that I have to just lay out my thoughts here. Thank u for any help

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #45,034 of 48,578
Hello! I made an account just to ask for an opinion. I have been WRACKING MY BRAINS with choosing the perfect gaming headphones and as a total noob there was so much to learn before I settled on the Fidelio. But now I have some doubt and have switched over to ordering the SHP9500.

I have some questions for those willing to help me and put me out of my misery:

-I have a budget of $200 or $270 CDN

-I chose the Fidelios, orginally because of its supposed comfort and all-around greatness for music and games...but it seems the compliments come from those who play single player games and listen to music

-I play competitive FPS games 90% of the time. I don't listen to too much music, certainly nowhere as much as audiophiles. I heard so many opinions on Fidelios being serviceable for my gaming needs, to being flat out awful because of no depth, bad imaging, and difficulty in hearing footsteps over bass. I brushed all of this off because I figured upgrading from my HyperX Core's was bound to be an upgrade

-As early as last night, I decided to reconsider the Fidelios and go with the 9500 (not the S model if that makes a massive difference). It's supposedly lower on bass but the mid/treble is better for footsteps. I believe I read it has better imaging, so I am hoping this means I can track enemy footsteps well enough that it is a worthy upgrade from my HyperX

-I got the V-Moda Boomset and the convenience of that plugging into the Philips headphones is great

-I do hear negative opinions on the 9500 but I have to assume these come from audiophiles who are more sensitive to issues than I am, or those who are pickier about the gaming benefits. I assume the OVERALL benefits of clearer audio and positioning from my HyperX would make me satisfied.

SO FAR, is all of this pretty sensible reasoning? I should be more content with 9500 right?

And as an added bonus, the 9500 should make music/movies sound more impressive than my hyperx/iphone stock headset? Im not looking for a music/movie headphones. My primary interest is gaming and everything else is a cherry on top...but Im still curious if these headphones would be a noticeable step up from my HyperX.

I also have some alternative choices:

-HD 599. More expensive, and since I'm using gift cards, I dont mind spending within the budget. How do they compare in these areas: Gaming - Movies - Music. Significantly better than 9500? Marginal? Barely? Not at all?

-770 Pro (32 Ohms). Same questions as above.

-The one issue with these headphones is the incompatibility with the V-Moda mic. Would it be worth choosing these headphones over the 9500, even at the cost of having to buy a modmic and have 2 wires dangling off of me? I will be using these headphones on my PS4 controller too, so I would be buying the audio splitters too, just to connect the headphone and mic jack. All of this is very cluttered but if the HD 599 or 770 Pro is good enough over the 9500, I suppose I should just go for it

I know there are other suggestions out there, like the m50x or m40x, but unless you guys think those are head and shoulders better, I'd like to just settle on these 3

So TLDR:

-9500 over Fidelio for gaming, particularly MP shooter games for 90% of my use time. I hear the Fidelio is worse because of bass concealing footsteps and worse imaging and detecting the position of sounds. Good choice or should I stick with the Fidelio?

-Should I reconsider the 9500 and instead purchase the HD 599? The only downside I know of is that I'd need a modmic, which means two cables to deal with. I am willing to go this route if the HD 599 is that much better than the 9500. The wireless modmic is too expensive, so I will stick with the 3.5mm wired version.

-If not the HD 599, how about the M50x or M40x?

-Should I even just wait for the 9600 reviews? As it seems to be under my $200 budget, perhaps they will be significantly better? Or would it be a bad move to purchase new headphones until things like build quality and unforseeable issues are ironed out?

All I care about is good headphones for gaming. Everything else is secondary to this, though a very nice cherry on top.

I am so sorry if this is asked a hundred times, but I am so tired of scouring every corner of the internet for info that I have to just lay out my thoughts here. Thank u for any help

of the headphones you mentioned, i own the 599

it's been a good all arounder gor me so far. Good for gaming, music, movies

also extremely light and comfortable

so, yeah, i can recommend them

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #45,035 of 48,578
I would have went with the Sennheiser PC37X over the SHP9500 and boompro combo. Better mic, similar sound, and has a volume toggle on the headset and flip-to-mute mic. Especially if you're just plugging it into the DS4.

Really what will make the biggest improvement is a proper DSP and amp.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #45,037 of 48,578
@JayDee12

I would consider the Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R + a Modmic or a desk mic.

@Chastity Thanks! But these seem unavailable anywhere here in Canada

I would have went with the Sennheiser PC37X over the SHP9500 and boompro combo. Better mic, similar sound, and has a volume toggle on the headset and flip-to-mute mic. Especially if you're just plugging it into the DS4.

I cannot afford amps or anything extra.

Thanks for this suggestion, is the 9500 just not worth it in your opinion?

of the headphones you mentioned, i own the 599

it's been a good all arounder gor me so far. Good for gaming, music, movies

also extremely light and comfortable

so, yeah, i can recommend them
thanks!

I think for me it's down to HD 599 and SHP9500 and the big question for me is: are the 599s significantly worth it, even considering the cable management when adding in the mod mic?

Price does not matter to me as I am using gift cards here and need to spend it

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #45,038 of 48,578
Both are great options. I used a SHP9500 w/ V-Moda BoomPro for years. It’s an excellent choose for competitive FPS. And you can customize it a bit to change sound signatures, which is great. 599 is a good option too. Not sure if it’s available in Canada, but Amazon US has a boom mic cable compatible with the 599. Might be worth searching for if you go that direction.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #45,039 of 48,578
Both are great options. I used a SHP9500 w/ V-Moda BoomPro for years. It’s an excellent choose for competitive FPS. And you can customize it a bit to change sound signatures, which is great. 599 is a good option too. Not sure if it’s available in Canada, but Amazon US has a boom mic cable compatible with the 599. Might be worth searching for if you go that direction.
Would you say u can hear most footsteps/direction/distance well with the SHP?

I hear some people saying the 599 is just in a league above 9500s and Im not sure what the major differences would be. The boom mic is crazy expensive in canada, whereas the V-Moda is more than half the price of the Boom mic for the 599.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #45,040 of 48,578
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #45,041 of 48,578
Sorry one more question: Would I be able to "Equalize" (as I understand it-- use a software to change the audio balance) the X2HR to be more suitable for video games?

Like, since the X2HR supposedly has bass that conceals footsteps, would I be able to modify the settings somehow to make the X2HR more like the 9500 for gaming?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #45,042 of 48,578
You're overthinking it. You make it sound like the X2 is a fart canon. It's not. It follows the Harman curve really well. So it's lively but well balanced.
I dunno what part of the X2 wouldn't be "suitable" for gaming. It's an excellent headphone and one of my absolute higher recommendations for all purpose gaming.

If you just wanna get something that sucks the fun out of audio for more brutal precision, just get an AD700X or something.

Personally I'd never go that far even for competitive reasons. I'd opt for something like a K612 Pro at the cheap level. It's really fantastic for competitive, without sacrificing much on engaging sound otherwise.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #45,043 of 48,578

@Chastity
thanks!

I think for me it's down to HD 599 and SHP9500 and the big question for me is: are the 599s significantly worth it, even considering the cable management when adding in the mod mic?

Price does not matter to me as I am using gift cards here and need to spend it
I’m not telling you what to buy, but...
The Drop.com exclusive Sennheiser PC37X headset has the same driver as an HD 599 (tuned with slightly more upper mids, which seem to help with competitive play), and a Sennheiser condenser microphone. The mic is so good I often use it for voiceovers.

I don’t know what gift cards you have, but the PC37X are $120:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset?utm_source=appshare&referer=Z2JXCA

(That’s a referral link, if you use it, we both get a few dollars of store credit, I believe you even get some money off your first order).

A friend of mine in the same city had a Philipps SPH9500, with a BoomPro. It was his first “nice” headphone, but he climbed up to a $200 model, won a $700 model, bought a $300 model, and finally bought a $1200 model (for less, used). I’m not saying anything, I’m just relaying his decisions within two years 😂 The SPH9500’s popularity came from being on sale to $49 (and Z Reviews hype of the month), and a lot of people on Head-Fi talked about it’s value at that price. The X2 and SPH9500 were reviewed by Mad Lust Envy on the first page, should give you a decent idea what he liked and disliked about each.

Sorry one more question: Would I be able to "Equalize" (as I understand it-- use a software to change the audio balance) the X2HR to be more suitable for video games?

Like, since the X2HR supposedly has bass that conceals footsteps, would I be able to modify the settings somehow to make the X2HR more like the 9500 for gaming?
A little, but reducing the quantity doesn’t necessarily change the character of a headphone. With that said, Mad said in his review and comments that the X2 was more balanced as an all-rounder than the “immersive” (which means more exciting bass) X1. He also made a comparison between the X1 and Beyerdynamic DT 990. If you want to read Mad’s thought on the PC37X, just read his Game One review (same headset except the PC37X is all-black).

You should definitely stick with a headphone/headset that is easy to drive, if you are sticking to the wimpy, muddy DualShock 4 controller. But if you’re using a controller... how would you use an EQ? Option: get the little Creative G3 USB dongle, or save up for the G6. You don’t HAVE to buy everything all at once, and you don’t have to stick with your first purchase forever 👍🏻 Audio is a journey!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #45,044 of 48,578
I’m not telling you what to buy, but...
The Drop.com exclusive Sennheiser PC37X headset has the same driver as an HD 599 (tunes with slightly more upper mids, which seem to help with competitive play), and a Sennheiser condenser microphone. The mic is so good I often use it for voiceovers.

I don’t know what gift cards you have, but the PC37X are $120:
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset?utm_source=appshare&referer=Z2JXCA

(That’s a referral link, if you use it, we both get a few dollars of store credit, I believe you even get some money off your first order).

A friend of mine in the same city had a Philipps SPH9500, with a BoomPro. It was his first “nice” headphone, but he climbed up to a $200 model, won a $700 model, bought a $300 model, and finally bought a $1200 model (for less, used). I’m not saying anything, I’m just relaying his decisions within two years 😂 The SPH9500’s popularity came from being on sale to $49 (and Z Reviews hype of the month), and a lot of people on Head-Fi talked about it’s value at that price. The X2 and SPH9500 were reviewed by Mad Lust Envy on the first page, should give you a decent idea what he liked and disliked about each.

A little, but reducing the quantity doesn’t necessarily re
I never reviewed the SHP9500...

I reviewed some ancient $20 Philips headphone, the X1, and the X2, that's it from Philips.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #45,045 of 48,578
It’s probably OK, Mad didn’t complain, and we go waaaay back... and the video is buried under newer posts by now anyway. I appreciate the sharing, since it’s super hard to get a YouTube channel start gaining traction. This thread is Mad’s show though (and check out his YouTube channel as well! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5zwzyOSEBk7m6u5Y6npkw). Maybe Mad and I could collaborate on a few videos, so that he can say the things I can’t say, and we both make more content. He’s fun to play Warzone with as well!

Do you think I should make two videos a week, Tuesday and Thursday’s? And do you think it would distract from the headphone content if I talked about any other tech stuff that comes to mind, or should I make a whole new channel just for headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back