Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #44,942 of 48,578
Waves NX took a period of adjustment (as well as changing the room size to 40 from the default 35?). But yeah, I'd put it behind SXFI, GSX, Dolby Headphone 2, SBX. I think that'd be my order actually.

I fired up the Mobius the other day for Warzone, and I was absolutely disoriented, after having used DH2 for so long. My ears have to readjust for Waves NX.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #44,943 of 48,578
Waves NX took a period of adjustment (as well as changing the room size to 40 from the default 35?). But yeah, I'd put it behind SXFI, GSX, Dolby Headphone 2, SBX. I think that'd be my order actually.

I fired up the Mobius the other day for Warzone, and I was absolutely disoriented, after having used DH2 for so long. My ears have to readjust for Waves NX.

Hey Just curious where would DTS fit in your order

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #44,945 of 48,578
I see Creative updated their BT-W2 transceiver with a new BT-W3, which includes a 3.5mm mic for the DS4 controller on PS4. Anyone have experience with the product yet? I couldn't find any specs on the mic. Wonder if it's halfway decent.

https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-bt-w3

Don't have any experience with it, but if it is halfway decent, that's a really awesome implementation for using Bluetooth headphones and still being able to chat on console.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #44,946 of 48,578
I decided to do some testing, since I have Dolby Access and DTS:X for Windows Sonics on my system. DTS:X is doing some room simulation, so you get that flattening affect from the room reverb, but it's not as bad as say Waves NX. You have 2 settings, Balanced and Spacious. I find the cues are more telling with balanced. While I liked Spacious since is lessens the flattening affect, the spatial cues aren't as strong and noticeable. There also was some notable boosting of the lower registers, and level enhancement for closer sounds. (When my sorc in SWTOR is casting Force spells, they got louder than usual)

With Dolby Atmos for Headphones, they don't do the room sim, or they don't apply the Reverb heavily, so things sound more like they do normally. Here you have a bunch of presets, and option to make your own profile. There are 2 settings: Surround Virtualizer and Volume Leveler. The former controls HRTF, the latter plays with dynamics of closer and further away sounds. Now SWTOR already does distance to a degree, so the Leveler only enhanced it, and too much for my tastes. Luckily, you can disable this in a Custom Profile. You also have access to a 10-band EQ for each profile.

When I disable Windows Sonics, I get the HRTF Support from Asus' Sonic Studio III. The effect there is not as strong, but very clear, with minimal audio distortion for the spatial acoustics. I understand that their HRTF library is from the people who do their own spatializer, whose name escapes me atm. Tho I did not care for their stand alone product.

Which did I prefer? For gaming, I preferred the Dolby Atmos implementation, mainly due to the greater level of control you have, and less room reverb sim. Of note, DTS does not have a HRTF profile for the DT-1990. :frowning2: Tho I can see how some may prefer the DTS:X since the spatial cues are more apparent and can be easier to note. Not an issue with DT-1990 grade of detail and imaging. :beyersmile:

Of note, it's nice to see that SWTOR is Windows Sonics aware and compatible.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #44,947 of 48,578
I bought the license on PC, and didn't like it. I'd have to hear a hardware version of DTS Headphone X to truly give you a definite answer.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #44,948 of 48,578
I decided to do some testing, since I have Dolby Access and DTS:X for Windows Sonics on my system. DTS:X is doing some room simulation, so you get that flattening affect from the room reverb, but it's not as bad as say Waves NX. You have 2 settings, Balanced and Spacious. I find the cues are more telling with balanced. While I liked Spacious since is lessens the flattening affect, the spatial cues aren't as strong and noticeable. There also was some notable boosting of the lower registers, and level enhancement for closer sounds. (When my sorc in SWTOR is casting Force spells, they got louder than usual)

With Dolby Atmos for Headphones, they don't do the room sim, or they don't apply the Reverb heavily, so things sound more like they do normally. Here you have a bunch of presets, and option to make your own profile. There are 2 settings: Surround Virtualizer and Volume Leveler. The former controls HRTF, the latter plays with dynamics of closer and further away sounds. Now SWTOR already does distance to a degree, so the Leveler only enhanced it, and too much for my tastes. Luckily, you can disable this in a Custom Profile. You also have access to a 10-band EQ for each profile.

When I disable Windows Sonics, I get the HRTF Support from Asus' Sonic Studio III. The effect there is not as strong, but very clear, with minimal audio distortion for the spatial acoustics. I understand that their HRTF library is from the people who do their own spatializer, whose name escapes me atm. Tho I did not care for their stand alone product.

Which did I prefer? For gaming, I preferred the Dolby Atmos implementation, mainly due to the greater level of control you have, and less room reverb sim. Of note, DTS does not have a HRTF profile for the DT-1990. :frowning2: Tho I can see how some may prefer the DTS:X since the spatial cues are more apparent and can be easier to note. Not an issue with DT-1990 grade of detail and imaging. :beyersmile:

Of note, it's nice to see that SWTOR is Windows Sonics aware and compatible.

Perfect thank you for the information i am debating on buying dts unbound or the Creative's SBX MB3 Or maybe just go with hardware sxfi x3. I currently own dolby atmos for headphone and use that only when it actually supports atmos. But not many games utilize it

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #44,949 of 48,578
Perfect thank you for the information i am debating on buying dts unbound or the Creative's SBX MB3 Or maybe just go with hardware sxfi x3. I currently own dolby atmos for headphone and use that only when it actually supports atmos. But not many games utilize it
No, they don't directly, however, it's still a Windows Sonic plug-in, and therefore if a game recognizes that, it will do multichannel to it to generate Virtual Surround.

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #44,951 of 48,578
Well, for strictly gaming, and you aren't using heavy-duty headphones, then an X3 for the SXFi would be a nice option. I suppose you could use an amp if desired.

Once you start getting into music listening, and even movies, then MB3 + external stack. The VSS software options really mesh well with my M300 + TUBE-01 + Asgard 3.

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #44,952 of 48,578
Well, for strictly gaming, and you aren't using heavy-duty headphones, then an X3 for the SXFi would be a nice option. I suppose you could use an amp if desired.

Once you start getting into music listening, and even movies, then MB3 + external stack. The VSS software options really mesh well with my M300 + TUBE-01 + Asgard 3.
thank you for all the help

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #44,953 of 48,578
Hey guys, I wanted to throw an idea your way.

Would you guys be interested in random commentary over gameplay videos on YouTube? What I mean is I'll bring up a topic, like say, something like "Personal musings about classic mid-fi headphones in 2020". And I'll talk about my thoughts on the matter in a non-rehearsed, straight from my head way. The gameplay will be mostly low/silent as something to keep your eyes occupied while I talk about whatever real subject I'm on. Probably something like Warzone.

I kinda want my YouTube to get rolling (it's been devoid of anything really for many years), and since I'm super camera shy, I think this is a way for me to dip my toes.

Let me know.

I can even do off the dome reviews of things like the KSC35 Wireless which I have plenty to say. This is something I wouldn't normally even write a review about, so it'd give insight on other gear.

The only reason I'm fancy to the idea, is because I spend a LOT of time talking to myself at work, and realize that if I start rehearsing voiced reviews, or just thoughts on audio, some of my best 'work' comes from me justing spitting words to myself. 😂

Being able to capture this would really being out another side of my impressions and the like.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #44,954 of 48,578
Only if you, after dropping the unnecessary shyness, make headphone reviews in the context of gaming and also review game audio in quality and technicalities and include demo gameplay samples in your videos. This is very rare, something I really miss.

How's audio in the game, how good are the samples, how immersive is it? How's 3D Audio in PS5 game X implemented? Somethin along that with headphones, VSS etc. in the mix.

This is your strong point and I think you should build upon it.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #44,955 of 48,578
I would totally do all that if I could put all focus on the content. It's hard to motivate myself to do all that in my free time however 😂

Mainly because of my normal job z and me coming home not trying to WORK again. Especially when ai know nothing of editing, setting up audio to record the dsps, etc. It's a lot of... stuff.

I'm dipping my toes with this stuff first and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back