Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #44,971 of 48,583
Not sure the BT3K will output enough volume for the X2. Honestly would've just got a Mixamp 5.8 for this. A little hissy, but no latency.

I had similar concern, but it worked out. The BTR3K volume goes up to 32 in the app. At volume 28-30, it's more than loud enough for gaming, and I don't like quiet. Anything higher volume is almost uncomfortably loud. For music priority, I would probably step up to the BTR5 for extra headroom, just from the few tracks I listened to over the weekend. BTR3K is pretty sweet for gaming though. I connected the BT transmitter to the output of my Magni 3/Loki combo. With the Loki, I can still adjust EQ on the fly. I tried bypassing the Magni/Loki by connecting the 3.5mm BT transmitter directly to the output of the Turtle Beach TAC, but even with Fiio EQ app the BTR3K it was too lean sounding with that config. BT transmitter and BTR3K are both Apt-X LL capable, and I don't notice any audio lag.

Now I have a setup I can use wireless or wired if needed, and still get full chatmix control from the TB TAC and not be tethered. I'm pleased with it.

I actually own two Mixamp 5.8s. One I use in the living room for late night viewing. The other I still have reserved for PS4 use, but I got tired of having the cable between mixamp and headphone. The Mixamp 5.8 is one of the most versatile pieces of audio gear I've purchased. I really wish Astro would have continued updating the product. Something similar in a much smaller form factor would have been an ideal solution vs. BT for sure. Same with the Soundblaster E5. -Great product with excellent app support and great sound, but I wanted something with a small form factor that I could attach to my headphones and not be restricted to fiddling with wires.

This is the BT transmitter I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WP3DGPB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Mixamp 5.8 I can get about 30ft from and it starts cutting out. With the BT transmitter & BTR3K I can walk to all corners of the house without it cutting out.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #44,972 of 48,583
I just realized I didn't consider plugging the Mobius via the 3.5mm through a dac out. Since dacs output at line level, it'd be much more ideal than plugging in the Mobius through a headphone jack on an amp or otherwise.

I mean, this is if you wanna use the Mobius with a ps4 or other device that won't take advantage of its USB capabilities. So perhaps I'll use the G6 to test it out, since the G6 has a 3.5mm line out I do have a 3.5mm to RCA as well if I use a DAC with RCA out.

This will open up more versatility for the Mobius.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #44,973 of 48,583
I suppose... as long as everyone here keeps in mind that the Mobius converts analog to digital, runs it through a DSP (even if you turn off the 3D sound), an internal DAC, then an internal AMP anyway.

A pure digital connection will mean less conversions, but if you're just looking to add the G6's surround DSP effects and use the Mobius in stereo mode, then you can do that. At that point, the Mobius is still a planar headphone with volume controls on the ear cup.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #44,974 of 48,583
I suppose... as long as everyone here keeps in mind that the Mobius converts analog to digital, runs it through a DSP (even if you turn off the 3D sound), an internal DAC, then an internal AMP anyway.

A pure digital connection will mean less conversions, but if you're just looking to add the G6's surround DSP effects and use the Mobius in stereo mode, then you can do that. At that point, the Mobius is still a planar headphone with volume controls on the ear cup.
Yeah it's what I'd call a last resort if there's no other viable way to use the Mobius. Consoles won't take advantage of its usb function, and you DON'T wanna game through its bluetooth. Leaving just the 3.5mm function.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #44,975 of 48,583
DT 990 Pro 250 ohms vs DT 990 Premium headphones 250ohms

Hey folks
I need a good advice.
I have to choice between Dt 990 Pro or premium >?>?. Not sure which to go for.
I gonna get a Azuentech soundcard to.
Seeing the forums seems like Dt990 pro ohms is better than premium 250 ohms . But is it really "Better" ?

the dt990 pro 250 ohms have better bass and better clear mids and sound from DT 990 Premium 250 ohms ??

So people what's your choice?
Thanks

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #44,976 of 48,583
DT 990 Pro 250 ohms vs DT 990 Premium headphones 250-ohms Hey folks I need a good advice.
I gonna get a Auzentech sound card to.
Seeing the forums seems like Dt990 pro ohms is better than premium 250 ohms . But is it really "Better" ?
the dt990 pro 250 ohms have better bass and better clear mids and sound from DT 990 Premium 250 ohms ??
Thanks
I would try and talk you into the Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #44,977 of 48,583
I would try and talk you into the Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.

i am interesting only in these DT 990 Pro 250 ohms vs DT 990 Premium headphones 250ohms

for this i am asking the DT 990 Pro 250 ohms have better bass ??? and sounds better from the DT 990 Premium headphones 250ohms

can someone confirm the difference between these 2?? in terms of bass, soundstage, mids, highs ,, between DT 990 Pro 250 ohms vs DT 990 Premium headphones 250ohms ?

i have read that the premium have better sounstage from the dt990 pros

and also that the pros have Boosted high(s) and low(s) which is not good..

so are the a lot differences between these 2?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #44,978 of 48,583
can someone confirm the difference between these 2?? in terms of bass, soundstage, mids, highs ,, between DT 990 Pro 250 ohms vs DT 990 Premium headphones 250ohms ?
I had the DT-990 Pro 250, for 2 weeks. I couldn't stand them. Very metallic treble. Made me want to stab my ears with an ice pick.. I understand the Premiums are tuned better.

Got rid of them, and bought the DT-1990 Pro. Much better.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #44,979 of 48,583
what you mean the the DT-990 Pro 250, that arent better from dt990 premium??

yes but the metallic treble. is good for edm///

I had the DT-990 Pro 250, for 2 weeks. I couldn't stand them. Very metallic treble. Made me want to stab my ears with an ice pick.. I understand the Premiums are tuned better.

the DT-990 Pro 250, has alot of bass from the premium version??

i have read that the premium have better sounstage from the dt990 pros

and also that the dt 990 pro 250 ohms have Boosted high(s) and low(s) which is not good.. from the premium version is is true/?

so are the a lot differences between these 2?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #44,980 of 48,583
DT 990 Pro 250 ohms vs DT 990 Premium headphones 250ohms

Hey folks
I need a good advice.
I gonna get a Azuentech soundcard to.

Thanks
We need to get all of your fellow greek nationals looking for "the best" together! Just to caution you, this thread has seen a person with a similar profile as yours, coming back every few weeks with different usernames, who comes in without reading the review on the first page that already answers their questions, and demands a personalized recommendation for several days. Eventually, they negate all advice shared with them, and continue copy/paste spamming their question until they are basically yelled at to leave. Just to warn you about the history. People will still kindly share their experience and advice, but I wouldn't expect other people to go above and beyond and do research for you.

With that said, the drivers are of equal quality among all the different Ω (ohms) variations, and pro or premium. Both of them have boosted highs and lows (what is commonly referred to as a v-shaped sound signature), so does the DT 1990. Any small differences, in a perfect environment with ideal gear to drive them, would be down to sample variation.

The benefit of higher Ω is that the headphones can dampen and stabilize an amplifier's output, and the benefit of lower Ω is that they require less power to drive well. So, the choice is really down to what amp you have. Do you have a powerful but less stable amp with a high output resistance, like a home theater receiver or musician's studio mixing board? Then a higher Ω headphone would be better suited. Do you want to use a portable amp, smaller and less powerful? Higher Ω headphone. 150-250 Ω headphones are like the sweet spot in the middle, and so they're the default choice if you don't really know. By the way, there are powerful amps with great control and low resistance (THX 789, Cavalli Liquid Platinum, etc), and with those it doesn't matter what Ω your headphone is, and there are plenty of small amps that are crap and still can't drive 80 Ω headphones well. Sound cards like the Azuentech are just "ok," though they're not commonly chosen by experienced enthusiasts so you won't see many people here who are familiar with the output power capabilities of that card.

Pro vs Premium? Pro is for musicians and audio professionals, with tighter clamping force to stay on their heads and coiled cables to prevent slack and kinks.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #44,981 of 48,583
The 990 pro sounds different from the premium mainly due to the clamping force forcing the drivers closer to the ear. Otherwise they're the same driver, and should sound similar.

Haven't heard the 1990. Would love to, to see how Beyer has improved on the 990s. If they literally had the same sound balance but much less peak in the treble, it'd be such a damn good headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #44,982 of 48,583
The 990 pro sounds different from the premium mainly due to the clamping force forcing the drivers closer to the ear. Otherwise they're the same driver, and should sound similar.

Haven't heard the 1990. Would love to, to see how Beyer has improved on the 990s. If they literally had the same sound balance but much less peak in the treble, it'd be such a damn good headphone.
Right, so as long as the driver is the same distance from the ear (or the Premium's pads have about 3 month's wear on them so they "sink" in a bit more), they sound the same (within mnfr tolerances). FYI, the 1990 is a 990 with less distressed treble and more refinements all around, a small but very significant change.

@technoderam In case you're having trouble finding Mad Lust Envy's Premium and Pro DT990 review, here's the same review with everything collapsed under categories: https://www.head-fi.org/articles/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-page-3.18935/
You would want to click the blue "spoiler: now we're getting to the good stuff" button under the $150-$300 price tier (US dollar), and then click the spoiler tag for the DT990 review. It's fairly long, and Mad Lust Envy has owned all of the DT990 variants at different times, and even compared them all side by side at home.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #44,983 of 48,583

so the dt990 pro have better bass , souundstage ,,, better mids , highs and clear sound from the dt990 premium?

because i have heard that the 990 pro have more bass from the premium/./.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #44,984 of 48,583
so the dt990 pro have better bass , souundstage ,,, better mids and clear sound from the dt990 premium?

because i have heard that the 990 pro have more bass from the premium/./.
Is that what he wrote?
No.
He said the clamp force is higher, so the Pro sounds like the premium if you push the ear cups harder against your ears.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #44,985 of 48,583
Is that what he wrote?
No.
He said the clamp force is higher, so the Pro sounds like the premium if you push the ear cups harder against your ears.
she said tha the pro sounds different from the premium..

i am asking the pro has better sound and bass from premium??

this i am asking

which are better the pros or the premium? this i am asking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back