Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #44,926 of 48,578
I can't imagine anyone disliking the sound signature unless they're a bass head or treble masochist.
You might want to expand your imagination a bit because there are people who don't really find its sound signature that great. I didn't really dislike how they sounded when I had them, but I didn't find them excellent sounding, just decent to good. So to others, I could be described as 'disliking' their sound signature.

Bass can be heard, but too much mid-bass emphasis and lacks extension. Midrange was good because of its smooth quality and has good detail retrieval. But the treble region was too subdued to sound natural for me. Head stage was just about average to maybe slightly less than average (average for me being that I perceive the width to reach my shoulders).
Best I can describe this is for example playing an acoustic guitar because I play it. How you perceive an acoustic guitar harmonics will vary when listening from it in front of the one playing it, behind the one playing it, and when you're actually playing the guitar. So it's three different positions of how you will hear it (assuming you're in a room with the guitar and the player, as well as removing the factor of playing it through an amplifier). For me, listening to acoustic guitar tracks with the HD650/HD6XX is like being behind the guitar player in the point of reference I gave above. So most songs I listen to will have that particular quality from my perception.

This is not to say that they sound bad. The HD6XX are probably the best overall sounding headphone at the $200 price range, and they could be the only headphone for a good number of people (especially on this thread). Depending on your point of reference, the HD6XX/HD650 could be dark sounding or could be neutral sounding, and to some can even be bright sounding (and I've seen some anecdotes of these people). But to say that people disliking their sound signature are only in two camps of bass head or treble masochist is just a false dichotomy and narrow minded to say the least.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #44,927 of 48,578
You might want to expand your imagination a bit because there are people who don't really find its sound signature that great.

I appreciate your detailed response. It was an over-exaggerated statement. I should have framed it more about appreciation for the HD6XX in terms of its value and sound quality. I can definitely understand why someone might dislike its sound, and you gave excellent reasons why.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #44,928 of 48,578
Does anyone have a bass shaker or tactile transducer setup for their gaming rig? I'm thinking about attaching a couple of the aura pro bass shakers to the underside of my couch, along with an amp yet to be determined. I'm curious to know how well it will work with a headphone setup though. I imagine with a PC you could get the LFE channel out to an amp to power the shakers. But for my headphone setup which is only PS4, I'm not sure how to send only LFE to the bass shaker while also using headphones. It's easy enough to split the signal at the headphone amp and send L/R audio to the bass shaker amp, but that's not really ideal.

I'm currently running:
Turtle Beach Tactical Audio Controller (DAC)
Magni 3
Loki

I could also easily split the LFE at my AVR for this, but then it's turned down when I have headphones on. I think it would be cool to add some immersion to a headphone setup, but only if it can be done properly.

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #44,929 of 48,578
I bought the 6XX a few months ago when they were going for $AUS220. Jude assured us that these were the 650s in all but name.

A bit of background. I remember going into a HiFi store (remember those?) that I regularly visited and the salesman said "You've got to try these." They were, as pointed out by Chastity, what started it all off - the HD580s. At the time I had the HD540 Reference Gold. The 580s just blew them away but I couldn't afford them. About eight years ago I bought a used pair of the second series and put them to use with classical music. They are a beautifully detailed headphone but lack any real sub bass (though amplification does help). They peaked my interest into what the 650s might sound like so for a price as good as that I jumped on it.

When I first used them I was very disappointed - some legend! They sounded decidedly ordinary especially when I thought about all the glowing reviews by so many. Terms I would use would be muffled, poor tone, lacking bass (flabby and untuned), minimal soundstage, etc. I nearly sent them back. However, posts in this thread suggested that I stick with them and my perception of their sound would change. I also had to take into account that my current listening was being done through one of the finest single dynamic driver iems ever made - The Flare Golds. At work I have the excellent Shure SRH840s. Of course the sound quality was going be a step down.

So I've persevered and I still have the 6XXs and am using them regularly. So what changed my mind? This will be contentious but to put it simply, they 'burned in'. It took quite a few hours of playback but this is what I believe has happened. My main reason for stating this is that I didn't listen to them on a regular basis during the 'burn in' period therefore taking familiarity out of the equation. Instead, I took 'sound samples at various intervals using the same few tracks. I could hear the difference each time, most notably in the bass. There was also more clarity in the top end and the sound staging improved. That beautiful midrange changed not one iota.

Finally, I could hear what others did, a supremely musical set of headphones that put the fun back into music. I don't use them for every genre. If I listen to a string quartet, for example, I want pinpoint instrumental placing and the the tonal accuracy of the strings. The 6XXs won't do that where the Flares definitely will. I also prefer piano via the Flare Golds

Amplification has been mentioned as being important and I agree. The Senns sound many times better through my Burson Play than directly from my A&K Jr. The amp in the Play is incredibly powerful and does the job well and it's also only slightly north of neutral for sound.

So the 6XXs are a keeper and they've got me back into listening to some of those older rock recordings that have been languishing on my shelves for a while.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #44,930 of 48,578
Nice write up as always MLE! I would add that you not suggest using books or similar to "stretch" the headband. This method actually does more compression of the earpads which will cause them to age more quickly. It's preferred to extended the cups fully and then to gently bend the metal gently on each side until you get the right amount of clamp.

Also I think that you forgot to mention that I actually loaned you my pair to give you a first listen to the 650 back in the day :wink:

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #44,931 of 48,578
Nice write up as always MLE! I would add that you not suggest using books or similar to "stretch" the headband. This method actually does more compression of the earpads which will cause them to age more quickly. It's preferred to extended the cups fully and then to gently bend the metal gently on each side until you get the right amount of clamp.

Also I think that you forgot to mention that I actually loaned you my pair to give you a first listen to the 650 back in the day :wink:
I take off the earpads before I stretch the headphones...

And it's been an eternity, you think I'd remember that? Hahaha. Thanks for that btw.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #44,932 of 48,578
Anyone tried out Out Of Your Head software from Darin Fong? I downloaded it and test it out for gaming. And to my surprise, there's a pretty high latency. I mean the software is really good and the surround sound is good too, but there high latency just kill it for gaming. I still think Wave NX is still better and it only cost $10.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #44,933 of 48,578
I'm fine with Atmos for Atmos games like Division and the G6.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #44,934 of 48,578
Anyone tried out Out Of Your Head software from Darin Fong? I downloaded it and test it out for gaming. And to my surprise, there's a pretty high latency. I mean the software is really good and the surround sound is good too, but there high latency just kill it for gaming. I still think Wave NX is still better and it only cost $10.
I reviewed it a long time ago, though i guess it may not have been on the guide itself.

I didn't particularly find anything wrong with it, but I didn't do heavy comparisons.

It's just too expensive for what it is though. That's my issue with it. I don't think most gamers are gonna spend that kind of money for presets when b there's so many cheaper options that do just as well if not better.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #44,935 of 48,578
Hi there.
I hope I can get some light here:

I just bought the G6 as a and I've been trying It for a couple of days.

So far I found out that I prefer the DH VSS from my Mixamp Pro 2013. Maybe I'm really really used to It after 6 years... I feel the Mixamp way more natural, so now I'm using It with the optical out of the G6 for the VSS instead of using SBX.

I've read some messages on this thread regarding the digital output format of the G6, but I'm still confused:

Previously I've been using my Realtek digital output with Dolby Digital format to feed the Mixamp.
I can tell some differences when I feed the Mixamp with the optical out of the G6:

- With the G6 I get "real" 7.1 virtual speakers on the Mixamp, not upmixed from 5.1 like I get from the Realtek chip. I can tell in the way side speakers sound. I mean, with the upmix the side speakers sound like "made up" when I do the sound test from Hesuvi.
- I also feel the sound clearer and better quality (placebo?).

I'm not sure about the quality thing because it's just a digital signal, right? Is not the DAC the only responsible for the quality?

And, what format is outputting the G6 thought the optical? DDL 7.1? The Mixamp is processing It without a problem and, unlike the Realtek digital out wich gives me up to 5.1 channels, is passing 7.1 channels to the Mixamp.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #44,936 of 48,578
Great review. I have hd 600 650 many years. Recently 2 years i bought HD6xx and us expected they arw great. But everything that i wanted from 600 and 650 i found it on HD660s way more clarity faster tighter sound and way way better separation on instruments not like 1990 pro separation but overall to me HD660s are the best.
But i have to say HD6xx are better for my old bad qualitty recordings they feel smoother and veiled so better for me on that.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #44,937 of 48,578
The "Gamer" preset is like $25 or something and has no perceivable latency and sounded really good to me, as far as rear cues go. I thought it sounded excellent but I just found the software sort of clunky and ultimately didn't want to pay for it since I had other options already that got me 75% of the way there. And then once Super X-Fi came out it became moot, as that is equal to or better than OOYH.

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #44,938 of 48,578
The "Gamer" preset is like $25 or something and has no perceivable latency and sounded really good to me, as far as rear cues go. I thought it sounded excellent but I just found the software sort of clunky and ultimately didn't want to pay for it since I had other options already that got me 75% of the way there. And then once Super X-Fi came out it became moot, as that is equal to or better than OOYH.
So right now you're using Super Xfi X3?
What about RedScape? has anyone tried it yet? it's like $100 without the HeadTracking device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back