Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 24, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #44,641 of 48,562
Man, that entitlement is embarassing. How about sending MLE stuff to test instead of waiting for it to happen? Or organizing stuff to have it send to him? What are YOU doing to contribute to this thread? I would constantly send MLE all my stuff if it wasn't for living overseas. Everything.

Lack of scoring system ist great. Reviews should be thorough and detailed and not for the lazy who do not want to do their homework and be spoonfed instead.

May 24, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #44,642 of 48,562
Like I get the need of scoring. My method isn't perfect, of course. My guide doesn't let anyone know what's relatively new or useful for certain applications. In that, I do agree. I can improve it by a lot.

Problem is, that just brings back the old days of people just whining about which is the ULTRA ULTIMATE FINAL BESTEST HEADPHONE FOR BASS MUSIC GAMING DETAIL SOUNDSTAGE MASSAGES. I don't have the godly patience needed to deal with that anymore.

I'm a jaded, miserable, pessimistic failure, ultimately defeated by the world and himself to deal with that anymore.

I will eventually cave in and do some sort of write up of headphones good for this or that. It IS overdue. I know. But I won't be giving them ranks or putting them on a tier list. It'll just be a list of what headphones can do X well or Y well.

I'll just need some divine intervention to give me the mental energy and desire to do so.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #44,643 of 48,562
the headphone I'm using would've been rated 7s, and I can't think of anything I'd use on the daily more than this.
So if your ranking is accurate, those headphone are just "above average"/C- for serious gaming/accuracy, but you must have chosen them for higher comfort or music, which is a fair compromise to make.

I can't agree with the omission of a Top 3/5/10 list. People are here for the best(no compromises). And not having to press CTRL+F to manually search for numbers to compare, or literally read through the entire list to determine an answer(because people work 14 hours a day, and it would be more useful for their time, right?). In fact, you should place all headphones below a B- grade for gaming into a category called "Irrelevant", where people can still read through ancient history, if interested. If your ratings are generally accurate, then you have nothing to worry about. Of course there will be some questions about why "X over Y?", due to our slightly different hearing perceptions and test equipment & material. But removing a finalized Top 5 list just because people PM you is a big cop out. Post under a different account, if that's the problem(or dis-allow replies, if that's a feature?). There are still too few trustworthy gaming earphone lists and reviewers out there, so the world needs every one of these, even if a bit outdated.

I guess you haven't had any interest in the other AD X models? The 500, 700, & 900 can be dirt cheap on Ebay. Right now I have 700X, 900X and Stax L300, each with different pads, I could possibly send you. I feel like there's no interest, though, if you haven't gotten to them by now =P

I've never been paid for any review work I've done. Sounds like more hassle to make happen than I'd be interested in :\ And not something I'd ever expect to happen. Is there a model you've had your eye on, that you haven't been able to get yet..?

You know what, after my next review (whenever I'm allowed to post it), who knows when I'll have anything to look at? I'm certainly not buying anything else.

Sorry that I can't MAGICALLY pop out throw away money to keep up with audiophile trends for reviews that give me nothing in return.
Oh, well that answers my previous question :\ It's a dead list, then! Why do you get no enjoyment out of potentially discovering better sounding headphones, though..? That's sad to hear :frowning2: I think you have done good work with this list, it just needs a Top 5 summation section & Irrelevant/Poor-Scoring section.

Reviews should be thorough and detailed
So when BGGAR does his Top 5 list videos, they should be 2+ hours long, with full, in-depth discussion about each one, in maximum detail, with the conclusion obscured until the oration has concluded? If a reviewer is trustworthy, don't you think someone who works a lot would appreciate a shortlist, that they can simply look at in 2 minutes, and get on with their life? That's cool that you're apparently anti-simple-ranking list, but I'm certainly not.
Man, that entitlement is embarassing. How about sending MLE stuff to test instead of waiting for it to happen? Or organizing stuff to have it send to him? What are YOU doing to contribute to this thread?
Oh, I guess I missed the part in his article where he says, "PLEASE SEND MONEY FOR MORE REVIEWS. If you have headphones you can send to me to review, please do, because that would help me since I can't afford to buy much myself". My bad. Could you kindly point me to that section? And where he says, "This article/review is open for public contributions; this is a public review collaboration, not a personal review"? Thanks. I assumed he/she was the reviewer, not myself. I think if people on Head-fi had known about this, they would have helped lend more headphones to be on this list.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #44,644 of 48,562
How about lurking more and reading for longer before posting? That way you'd be aware how to contribute. I certainly never needed any "section" or any directions.

Your strawman with whoever BGGAR is isn't worthy replying to. Nobody mentioned his reviews at all and Youtube/videos is/are a different format.

May 24, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #44,645 of 48,562
How about lurking more and reading for longer before posting? That way you'd be aware how to contribute. I certainly never needed any "section" or any directions.

Your strawman with whoever BGGAR is isn't worthy replying to. Nobody mentioned his reviews at all and Youtube/videos is/are a different format.
Again, I have to read through a 2977 page thread, to find out if there is a statement about wanting money or headphone donations, that directly affect the longevity and material in the article..? If it was important enough to be called out about(as I just was), it should be listed in the article, just like the disclaimer(that's apparently also important). And telling people to go lurk and read through 1000 pages doesn't help, does it? That's equally as useless as not having a Top summary list/video.

Obviously video is a different format, but it's the same idea. He has several individual review videos, and then a summary video. Imagine his channel without the summaries - going through literally hours and hours of footage, to determine for yourself what might be the #1.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #44,646 of 48,562
Isn't BGGAR the guy who stole loaner IEM's and likes to brag about what a tough guy he is in his videos? There was just a thread about him over at r/headphones. He seems like a real treat.

MLE's guide is an excellent resource and I appreciate that it is one of the few text review resources rather than monetized youtube channels. If you want MLE to review a specific headphone, send it to him. If you think there is a better way to do it, do it yourself.

May 24, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #44,647 of 48,562
Isn't BGGAR the guy who stole loaner IEM's and likes to brag about what a tough guy he is in his videos?
Don't know about the first part, but I've heard him say he has a good punch(when discussing martial arts) :) Do you think that makes his audio reviews untrustworthy?
If you think there is a better way to do it, do it yourself.
Didn't realize this was closed for suggestions and feedback, my bad.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #44,648 of 48,562
Don't know about the first part, but I've heard him say he has a good punch(when discussing martial arts) :) Do you think that makes his audio reviews untrustworthy?

BGGAR came out with a response that he does indeed still have the missing IEMs, and despite being requested by the company to return them, he has refused. So it makes him a thief, and dishonest, and more than likely ruin it for other reviewers. He's had these flagship IEMs for over 6 months.

May 24, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #44,650 of 48,562

From what I can gather his reviews are mostly him talking about something other than the headphones for 95% of the time (like, bragging about the size of his penis... not kidding) so aside from the fact that he seems to be a sociopathic degenerate thief, yes, it appears he is also a very poor comparator for headphone reviews. Anyways, it seems weird comparing youtube reviews to a compendium of text reviews. Two very different formats.

As for offering feedback, there is a good way to go about it and a bad way to go about it. You came in here, read the first post, and without reading anything else (such as, MLE's many many posts explaining why he does not do rank orders) jumped immediately to saying it was "messy, tedious, and riddled with obsolete products." So yeah, that's not going to get a very receptive response here. Or anywhere.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #44,651 of 48,562
BGGAR came out with a response that he does indeed still have the missing IEMs, and despite being requested by the company to return them, he has refused. So it makes him a thief, and dishonest, and more than likely ruin it for other reviewers. He's had these flagship IEMs for over 6 months.
Yep.

Ironically it’s all documented on another thread on this very forum by the aggrieved brand rep.

And let’s also not forget what he did to Jomo. . . Basically -

“How dare you not respond immediately to my demands for a review sample! £#%* you, ...(insert bestial racial pejorative)... I’ll use my channel to slander and damage your brand!”

*Clearly*, that’s the kind of ‘professionalism’ and ‘trustworthiness’ that MLE should be aspiring to. . . 😂

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #44,652 of 48,562
BGGAR? . . . Seriously? That’s your benchmark critic? Lol, p-lease.
*Clearly*, that’s the kind of ‘professionalism’ and ‘trustworthiness’ that MLE should be aspiring to
Yep, that's the example I could think of, to show a better review format/organization to use. I'm not talking about BGGAR himself, or his trustworthiness, or how he specifically does individual product reviews...but you must've missed that.

May 24, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #44,653 of 48,562
From what I can gather his reviews are mostly him talking about something other than the headphones for 95% of the time (like, bragging about the size of his penis... not kidding) so aside from the fact that he seems to be a sociopathic degenerate thief, yes, it appears he is also a very poor comparator for headphone reviews.
Wait, where does his random personal life details and character traits correlate to his ability to judge audio gear well..? And let's hold off on calls like that, until we see what MLE is like in several hours of video. :) I agree he's not a "strict reviewer", but that makes his reviews more interesting than standard, boring reviews(if you're OK with his rant topics)

May 24, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #44,654 of 48,562
I have both the X3 and G6. The X3 is better for the PC-only gamer but for gamers who use consoles supporting optical as well, if it was one unit or the other, then the G6 is better / more versatile because it has optical in and can therefor do proper Dolby 5.1 > VSS conversion for consoles. The X3 obviously cannot do that as it lacks optical in and existing consoles can’t send DD5.1 or indeed any multichannel signal over USB.

SXFI capability was bugged on X3 the last time I tried it - distorted rears in comparison to the SXFI AMP / dongle (which I also have), confirmed by other users including @HieroX who confirmed the issue physically in person with Creative months ago. Dunno whether it’s been fixed yet as I use the SXFI dongle for HRTF. Maybe he can provide an update.

not clear what you mean by that?

Fegefeuer is right on this one. You will be unlikely to notice a difference with ultra high values unless perhaps if you are playing audio files with a correspondingly high *native* resolution and even that is subject to debate.

Gaming, movies and digital TV content is native 24/48 max (often less at 16/44 or 24/44) and there is little point in forcing your source PC to ‘upscale’ it. At best, nothing will happen and you won’t hear a difference other than that induced by cognitive placebo. At worst, you’ll cause rendering errors resulting in artefacting, I.e. some form of distortion. Best not to get too caught up in marketing numbers. I mean, if those are a priority for you then you should know that out of the X3, G6 and SXFI AMP/dongle, the X3 actually has the weakest dac/amp specs.

For SXFI HRTF, no, it cannot be pushed out via optical. Ticking the “apply headphone virtualization” box applies *SBX* VSS to the optical out. So SXFI - no, SBX - yes.

Hey there!

The firmware updates were already released end of April. For me, it has cleared the mids and lows distortions. I have not noticed anymore distortions yet. Before the update, I could use 32bit/192kHz for all audio modes. After the update, 32bit/192kHz quality was usable in only stereo modes. Surround modes tend to have some 'sizzling' distortions. 24bit/192kHz seems to be the highest possible setting for surround.

May 25, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #44,655 of 48,562
A dead list? I like to think that at the very least, the last half dozen or more of headphones I've reviewed aren't so old that they're obsolete.

And unlike tech in general, a good headphone is a good headphone forever. Just because new things come out doesn't make the older models irrelevant. The HD650 is still just as relevant today as it was 10 years ago (just under b the 6XX name). The 880 and K702 are still headphones others should be measured against in their respective strengths.

There's plenty of old headphones still sold today.

But anyways, if you don't like my style, you're welcome to leave.

Even without me here, the community here is big enough and helpful enough to assist newbies in their quest for headphones and gear. They don't NEED me. My headphone guide as I mentioned in the first post was actually made for ME to keep track of what I get, and it grew from there.

Most of this forum has thrived without me, and I appreciate that. If people are interested in whatever new product I'll review, then hey, they can come here and see the review. I at least keep a recent update section on the first page so they can find the new reviews.

But anyways, last thing I'm interested in is arguing what to and what not to do on here.

I've carved my small little niche here, and I'm ok with that. If you want more or different, there's a billion youtubers and reviewers that do it be differently. Please do yourself a favor and go to them instead. Whether you stay or go, it makes no difference to me. As I said many times, I'm just a guy who started writing little impressions and people wanted a little more so I made them bigger reviews.

I did this simply as a hobby, where it has remained as such but for nearly 10 years. So forgive me if my production quality isn't up to the level of people who make a living off their reviews.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back