Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 2, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #41,912 of 48,562
It was the 2010 Mixamp that I used with the AD700.

DOLBY headphone didn't change throughout those years. The difference was other aspects of the Mixamp. If you didn't like it on the 2013, you wouldn't like it on the 2010.

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #41,913 of 48,562
It was the 2010 Mixamp that I used with the AD700.

DOLBY headphone didn't change throughout those years. The difference was other aspects of the Mixamp. If you didn't like it on the 2013, you wouldn't like it on the 2010.

I wouldn't be so sure about it, Envy. If you listen to this video you will understand what I'm talking about. There must be something wrong with the Dolby effect on the TR...it can't sound that bad...

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #41,914 of 48,562
Aaah ok. That is def worse. It actually reminds me alot of the Dolby Pro Logic II conversion. So instead of taking a 5.1 Dolby digital signal and converting into DH2, it MIGHT be takingt from a DPL2 signal and converting that instead. This is how we could get surround on the Nintendo Wii.

DPLII will have surround cues, but sound more metallic. I'm actually kinda convinced
that is what happening in that test vid. It'd be a shame if Astro cut costs by removing DD 5.1 decoding and instead only taking from DPLII Which is a stereo format.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #41,915 of 48,562
Aaah ok. That is def worse. It actually reminds me alot of the Dolby Pro Logic II conversion. So instead of taking a 5.1 Dolby digital signal and converting into DH2, it MIGHT be takingt from a DPL2 signal and converting that instead. This is how we could get surround on the Nintendo Wii.

DPLII will have surround cues, but sound more metallic. I'm actually kinda convinced
that is what happening in that test vid. It'd be a shame if Astro cut costs by removing DD 5.1 decoding and instead only taking from DPLII Which is a stereo format.

That might explain the exaggerated metallic and muffled sound which is only present with DOLBY ON.

So, from your personal experience, which Mixamp would you recommend? I do enjoy Dolby but with the TR it was a disappointment.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #41,916 of 48,562
I'm starting to think that there is some kind of DSP correction in Astro MixAmp TR to correct the sound of Astro A40 TR headphones.

I don't have such a bad metallic sound with TR than in the video above, but it is the first MixAmp that needed to use EQ with my HD598's to sound somewhat natural. The positional audio with MixAmp Pro TR is actually good, but it sounds bad out of the box without some EQ work.

I don't always agree with Zeos and he's reviews, but this time I just might...

Ps. I use Sound BlasterX G6 --> HDV820 --> HD800S & Røde Mic these days. Astro MixAmp TR is collecting dust in my closet.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #41,918 of 48,562
I would assume the usb or whatever proprietary connection connection of the xbox one would send chat duties to the mixamp. The Xbox could send optical digital signal to the g6 for main audio, which the G6 could just pipe to the Mixamp through its own optical out. Of course, do not use the Dolby on the Mixamp if using the G6 with SBX.

However, I'm only assuming here as I don't use an XB1 and these newer Mixamps that are specific to a console is new territory for me. I'm used to older Mixamps that worked on both 360 and ps3.

I don't even know if the Xbox would allow chat through usb/its proprietary connection and game audio out through optical at the same time. The ps4 allows it. I have a G6 that sends audio to a Mixamp 5.8 without issues, and I'm sure if I wanted to chat, I could use the Mixamp or the G6 for chat, though I don't have the chat cable for the Mixamp.

I use ps4 and PC. The only xb1 in the house is used for 4k blu ray, in another room.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #41,920 of 48,562
Nah, DH3 sounds MUCH worse than even just doing DH2 from Pro Logic II. The spatial difference in soundstage isn't really different from DH2 in the TR example.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #41,922 of 48,562
I have checked the guide again, specifically the part dedicated to the virtual surround devices. Considering that the Mixamp TR was a total disappointment with regard to the surround function, which surround device would you recommend? (the old mixamps are too hard to find where I live so I'd exclude them).

I have a pair of AD700X but I'm yet to experience their full power paired with a surround device.I play mainly FPS and TPS/adventure games on consoles and I enjoy positional accuracy even though I'm not quite sure I've ever felt it properly...

The Blasterx G6 seems an interesting device but is it the best in terms of virtual surround for console gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back