Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #41,701 of 48,578
Yeah I never actually got Sonic or Atmos to work on my PC even with the trial. Outside of HeSuVi.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #41,702 of 48,578
Trying to decide on the need for a closed back gaming headset; being the Sennheiser Game Zeros (latest version on Amazon).

I currently own the Astro A40 TR and recently purchased the Sennheiser Game ONEs both are driven by Astro mixamps. My question is since the A40s and Game ONEs are both open back headsets, and me never owning a closed back version, would it be beneficial and cost worthy to own the Zeros for FPS gaming in a rather loud home environment? Is the soundstage that terrible compared to either of my open headsets? Finally, are the Ones and Zeros really that much different when pinpointing opponents and overall fun/wow factor? I can’t decide if I should keep or return the Game ONEs for the Game Zeros, since I already own the A40’s. Any suggestions or comments?

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #41,703 of 48,578
If you're using virtual surrund fro the Mixamp, then open vs closed isn't that much of an issue, assuming you have a closed headphone with a good soundstage like Beyerdynamic DT770s, etc. Virtual surround mitigates a lot of the problems closed headphones have. Yes, open headphones tend to sound bigger, but there are benefits from closed headphones that aren'tm found in open ones, like a blacker background that makes things easier to pinpoint at times. Using the Creative Trio iem with say,m the Sennheiser GSX surround, I found it to sound incredible in virtual surround in depth, soundstage, positional cues etc. A good virtual surround will always be more beneficial than just going closed vs open.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #41,704 of 48,578
Trying to decide on the need for a closed back gaming headset; being the Sennheiser Game Zeros (latest version on Amazon).

I currently own the Astro A40 TR and recently purchased the Sennheiser Game ONEs both are driven by Astro mixamps. My question is since the A40s and Game ONEs are both open back headsets, and me never owning a closed back version, would it be beneficial and cost worthy to own the Zeros for FPS gaming in a rather loud home environment? Is the soundstage that terrible compared to either of my open headsets? Finally, are the Ones and Zeros really that much different when pinpointing opponents and overall fun/wow factor? I can’t decide if I should keep or return the Game ONEs for the Game Zeros, since I already own the A40’s. Any suggestions or comments?

Just out of curiosity. How do you like the A40's vs. Game One's sound with MixAmp TR?

MixAmp TR was the first MixAmp for me that did not sound good with HD598's when I first tried them. I needed to find an EQ that would make the sound decent. HD589's should be fairly close to Game ONE's sound so that's why I ask. Some speculate (including Zeos) that the MixAmp TR is tuned to correct the A40's sound.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #41,705 of 48,578
If you're using virtual surrund fro the Mixamp, then open vs closed isn't that much of an issue, assuming you have a closed headphone with a good soundstage like Beyerdynamic DT770s, etc. Virtual surround mitigates a lot of the problems closed headphones have. Yes, open headphones tend to sound bigger, but there are benefits from closed headphones that aren'tm found in open ones, like a blacker background that makes things easier to pinpoint at times. Using the Creative Trio iem with say,m the Sennheiser GSX surround, I found it to sound incredible in virtual surround in depth, soundstage, positional cues etc. A good virtual surround will always be more beneficial than just going closed vs open.

Interesting. I’m getting mixed reviews on the Sennheiser Game ZERO headset. Some love, others hate. Since I’m using them with the mixamp TR edition for virtual surround, would they provide stellar positioning while gaming in FPS’ers? Or would the soundstage be to minimal and “closed” using the ZEROS? Am I better off keeping the A40s and the ONES? Was hoping to have the A40s as my open back set and the ZEROS as my closed set but don’t want to sacrifice sound quality for it, ya know?

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #41,706 of 48,578
Just out of curiosity. How do you like the A40's vs. Game One's sound with MixAmp TR?

MixAmp TR was the first MixAmp for me that did not sound good with HD598's when I first tried them. I needed to find an EQ that would make the sound decent. HD589's should be fairly close to Game ONE's sound so that's why I ask. Some speculate (including Zeos) that the MixAmp TR is tuned to correct the A40's sound.
Unfortunately I haven’t tried the Game ONES out yet with the mixamp TR. Paired with the A40s, audio positioning etc sounds as advertised. However, I’m no audiophile enthusiast. ☺️

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #41,708 of 48,578
Not much point in the G6 with the Xbox unless you are using Dolby bitstream out to get 5.1 for SBX to virtualize. Otherwise you're just using it as an external DAC/amp without Xbox chat functionality.

Also regarding Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos: I've never seen a product feature launch with less explanation and as much confusion as these, but basically unless a game includes an Atmos mix or renderer (object based or sufficient channels) Sonic or Atmos do nothing. Sonic just uses the Atmos mix. It's also not clear what games have Atmos either. I've tried Sonic in random games and it's actually worse than stereo if it's not using Atmos, it just simulates surround using 2 channels which is always bad.
Yeah I’ve been using Dolby bitstream with the SBX and I must say, it sounds incredible! I’m coming from an Astro A50, I was never impressed by it’s VSS. The G6 is soooo much better! I’ve got my pc right next to my tv so I can use the Xbox app on pc for party chat.

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #41,711 of 48,578
Interesting. I’m getting mixed reviews on the Sennheiser Game ZERO headset. Some love, others hate. Since I’m using them with the mixamp TR edition for virtual surround, would they provide stellar positioning while gaming in FPS’ers? Or would the soundstage be to minimal and “closed” using the ZEROS? Am I better off keeping the A40s and the ONES? Was hoping to have the A40s as my open back set and the ZEROS as my closed set but don’t want to sacrifice sound quality for it, ya know?

Anyone own both the Sennheiser Game ONES and ZEROS? If so, which do u prefer and why? I can’t decide if I should just stick with my A40s and Game ONES or return the ONES for the Zeros to have a closed set as well. But don’t want to jeopardize position pinpointing.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #41,712 of 48,578
@Mad Lust Envy, I know this has been said already, but great work! I really enjoyed reading!

I think we might share some similar preferences in sound quality, as I noticed your HD 650 review closely matches my own notes and thoughts on it (I own a HD 6XX and love it).

Although now my poor gaming headset I bought before I got in this hobby now just collects dust.

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #41,713 of 48,578
Anyone own both the Sennheiser Game ONES and ZEROS? If so, which do u prefer and why? I can’t decide if I should just stick with my A40s and Game ONES or return the ONES for the Zeros to have a closed set as well. But don’t want to jeopardize position pinpointing.

Does anyone have an opinion or suggestion regarding me keeping the A40s and Game ONEs or should I return the Game ONES for the ZEROS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back