Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 13, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #41,716 of 48,562
What don't you like about your current setup?

I like my current setup but was thinking since the A40s and the Game ONES are both open headsets, would it be beneficial to return the ONES for the Game ZEROS to have a closed set. My home environment can get quite loud occassionally but nothing that is overwhelming. I've never owned a pair of closed headphones so I'm not sure how the sound quality would be solely for positional awareness in FPS games. Again, I'd be using an Astro mixamp to power both the open and closed headsets. Just don't want to return the Game ONES for the Game ZEROS if it means losing out on sound quality.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #41,717 of 48,562
Just don't want to return the Game ONES for the Game ZEROS if it means losing out on sound quality.

Personally I prefer open cans, dislike closed (claustrophobic feeling).

If isolation isn't a goal then I wouldn't head towards a closed set.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #41,718 of 48,562
Personally I prefer open cans, dislike closed (claustrophobic feeling).

If isolation isn't a goal then I wouldn't head towards a closed set.

Have you had the opportunity to compare the sound of the Game ONES vs the Game ZEROS? I just wonder how good or bad they compare to each other but unfortunately, I cannot afford two sets. Do the ZEROS lack sound positioning? I could really care less about how much bass they lack, as long as the positional soundstage in FPS games is there that is all that matters to me.

Just thinking that having the option of a closed and opened headset would be nice.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #41,719 of 48,562
Have you had the opportunity to compare the sound of the Game ONES vs the Game ZEROS?

Haven't tried either of those, or the A40's

Do you prefer the Senn's to the Astro's?

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #41,720 of 48,562
Haven't tried either of those, or the A40's

Do you prefer the Senn's to the Astro's?

I like them both actually. The new A40's "TR edition" are nothing spectacular but they get the job done. I'm curious on if the new Sennheiser GSP 600's are "better" at providing a wider soundstage in a closed headset better than that of the Game ZEROS. I've read that the GSP 600's are superior in all aspects over the Game ZEROS, but this was just the opinion from sponsored reviewers. Can anyone weigh in on this?

For console gaming using an Astro mixamp, do closed headsets still provide a wide soundstage for positional awareness in 1st person shooter games? Are open headsets like the Game ONES really superior over the Game ZEROS like everyone says?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #41,721 of 48,562
still provide a wide soundstage

When you're using the VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) tricks of the mixamp the playing field is a lot more even.

Open will always beat closed though - easily.

The headphones you're talking about are all side-grades, not up-grades.

Would all come down to personal preference and comfort.

Borrow a closed set (any, VSS will narrow any major differences) and see if the format works for you.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #41,722 of 48,562
Today - my life changed foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I was so displeased with the HD800-S (black revision) that I wanted to sell them. The x7 Limited Edition did it absolutely no justice (even with Sparkos full upgrade) but oh my goodness when I hooked up my Schiit Jotunheim. I seriously have no words - there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever to anything I've ever heard.

Could be the balanced cable hookup
Could be the Audioquest Power/RCA cables (had them laying around from old retail job)
Could be the HD800-S'
Could be the x7
Could be the OP-AMP upgrades
Could be the Audioquest Optical Cable

Who the hell cares! This is definitely the pinnacle of sound for me - I have no words. When I say wow I friggin mean WOWOWOWOWOOOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW!

Coming back to this I'm wondering what my settings should be PS4 side and what I should use x7 side.

Should I be doing 5.1 Dolby on the PS4 side of things or go straight stereo? Should I also be using SBX at all?

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #41,725 of 48,562
Did you plug the HD800 straight into X7?

Me?

Have done, is ok.

I feed the X7 into the HDVD800 though usually (SBX passthrough) then into the HD800's

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #41,727 of 48,562
I've also tried the HD800S out of the X7 and it was OK. Honestly with the EQ feature I never felt like much was missing if I wanted to change the sound.

There is definitely an upgrade when you add a better amp; both my iFi Black Label and iCAN SE provided decent additional depth to the sound. "Loudness" is never an issue, I did feel like these two amps provided a little more detail, and "oomph." I don't know how else to describe it other than there just felt like there was more there. (I think this is why I don't do audio reviews.) This is without using the 3D or Xbass (Xbass is good though, I use it with the HD800S.)

But, it was not world changing for me personally; the X7 is no slouch in the DAC and amp department, honestly, especially given it has a good EQ feature.

I currently use 100 surround (SBX on), no crystalizer, no bass, flat EQ, full Dolby dynamic range.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #41,728 of 48,562
Also what SBX settings?

100% surround, no idea on the rest, probably default.

But, it was not world changing for me personally; the X7 is no slouch in the DAC and amp department, honestly, especially given it has a good EQ feature.

When using SBX even less so - it's the effect that rules, rather than the cans or the amp.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #41,729 of 48,562
100% surround, no idea on the rest, probably default.

When using SBX even less so - it's the effect that rules, rather than the cans or the amp.

Yeah I agree. Personally, if a headphone has good imaging and detail, that is 80% of what you need, since all of these DSP's change the sound so much. Even soundstage is not super hugely important unless the headphone just totally lacks it, since these DSP's also add that artificially as well.

If the headphone can accurately portray what the DSP is feeding it, you're set more or less. The rest is just preference on what sort of sound signature you like. (E.g. more bass, and so on.) Which is why the HD800 is so great. (But there are others...)

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #41,730 of 48,562
Just thinking that having the option of a closed and opened headset would be nice.

How about keeping the Game ONE (if you like them) and buying Astro A40 TR Mod Kit?

"Adapt the ASTRO A40 TR Headset to any situation with the Call of Duty Mod Kit. For loud environments such as pro tournaments, gamers can transform the A40 TR to a closed-back, noise-isolating headset with sealed Speaker Tags, synthetic leather ear cushions and headband, and a voice-isolating microphone."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back