Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #41,641 of 48,578
Can’t disagree with most of that. I’m not a fan of the VSS either.

However, I’m predominantly using this in stereo mode and relying on the in game 3D Headphone mode of Battlefield 5 with either Game One, HD58X or SHP9500 headphones. It sounds great this way, not bright and has enough power (just!!) for all of them. As a £65 way of providing a better, audio path than the DS4 its worth it. I wouldn’t be so quick to buy at £129 though!!

Voice/Game chat mix makes me decide to keep this - its that important to me. If only Creative had an on device control for that :frowning2:

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #41,642 of 48,578
I apologize in advance if this is redundant, but my Google-fu hasn't been turning up a very conclusive answer here.

Anyhow, is there any kind of reasonable way to get virtual surround audio for headphones out of a Nintendo Switch setup? Creative's G6 looked like just the ticket, but after digging through here it sounds like they are only getting stereo audio out of the Switch via USB? In which case, is there some other way to go about this?

I know the Switch can do 5.1 LPCM via HDMI, but getting from there to virtual surround for headphones doesn't seem possible. Especially as I would prefer to avoid a bulky HDMI receiver, since this is just something I'd like to tuck away into my office to drive headphones with.

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #41,643 of 48,578
I apologize in advance if this is redundant, but my Google-fu hasn't been turning up a very conclusive answer here.

Anyhow, is there any kind of reasonable way to get virtual surround audio for headphones out of a Nintendo Switch setup? Creative's G6 looked like just the ticket, but after digging through here it sounds like they are only getting stereo audio out of the Switch via USB? In which case, is there some other way to go about this?

I know the Switch can do 5.1 LPCM via HDMI, but getting from there to virtual surround for headphones doesn't seem possible. Especially as I would prefer to avoid a bulky HDMI receiver, since this is just something I'd like to tuck away into my office to drive headphones with.
Tritton Katana. So far the only gaming headset we know of that uses hdmi for game audio

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #41,645 of 48,578
I've been visiting this post for years to catch up, every twelve months or so out of curiosity. It was here I learnt about the ad700 + mixamp pro which had severe me extremely well over the years. Today I finally felt I deserved an upgrade and placed an order for a sound blasterx g6 and Audio Technica ADG1x for predominately playing fps on ps4. Amongst other games like Red Dead etc. Can't wait to get them delivered now. Creative don't sell the G6 in Australia, so had to order from USA.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #41,646 of 48,578
It's hard to really answer this as whether you like Virtual Surround is really subjective. Personally I can't game without it anymore. I also don't think there is really much of a sacrifice in audio quality depending on how you tweak the settings. SBX is less reverby than others and retains more of the authentic sound.

If you can, try testing out VSS in a PC game with something free like HeSuVi or a free trial of Waves NX or even Out of Your Head. If you like it then the G6 is absolutely worth it.
I think I’ll give the G6 a go then. The only VSS I’ve ever tried before was from the Astro Mixamp. Wasn’t bad, personally I just didn’t feel like it was a game changer.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #41,647 of 48,578
Never heard of the M3 but I know other SMSL products have performed well, can't say for sure that the M3 would. That or what I suggested is probably your best bet purely for SQ. The atom would be better than the E1 but it costs more. The topping NX3 would offer higher fidelity than E1 but would likely clip on high gain, and I'm not sure if it could drive the HD 58x except on high gain. However, the differences between that and a Creative X G5/G6 would be slight, and Creative offers a ton of features even for console gamers (ex. you can set up EQ presets on PC and they should carry over to console.)

So the X G5/G6 is probably your best bet overall. However, note that as far as I know SBX surround doesn't work on console, although the G6 can decode dolby digital surround on console so that's nice.
Do you think adding the M3 or something similar on top of the G6 would be a good enough upgrade to justify the price?

I thought somebody posted that they had successfully gotten SBX to work on console by having the optical plugged into the Xbox while the usb was plugged into a PC. I could very well be mistaken, I’m just too lazy to go through the hundreds of posts to try and find it again haha

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #41,648 of 48,578
Do you think adding the M3 or something similar on top of the G6 would be a good enough upgrade to justify the price?

I thought somebody posted that they had successfully gotten SBX to work on console by having the optical plugged into the Xbox while the usb was plugged into a PC. I could very well be mistaken, I’m just too lazy to go through the hundreds of posts to try and find it again haha

Yes, the G6 needs to be plugged into a PC to change its settings. Otherwise it works with the Xbox, but you do need a chat workaround.

Although the jury is out on whether you can unplug it and have it save any settings; when I switched computers it reverted to its default settings. (7.1, surround on, 50/50 Bass/Crystalizer.)

I had a custom light setting and it was different as soon as I plugged it into the different PC; sure enough all the settings had reverted.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #41,649 of 48,578
Does ps4 support 24/96 over usb? Or 32/384 like the g6 supports? When on pc i change the light to green to show my profile is loaded, when i switch it to ps4 the light returns to the default red. Im guessing it goes into some ps4 mode so the usb works? 48khz? I have no idea for sure.

Has anyone used a 24/96 usb dac on ps4 via usb? Im looking at that syba dac with a mic input. Zeos says the 24/96 model works on ps4 but they also have a 24/192 model at twice the price with a woflson dac chip in it. Just not sure if ps4.will see it...

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #41,650 of 48,578
Does ps4 support 24/96 over usb? Or 32/384 like the g6 supports? When on pc i change the light to green to show my profile is loaded, when i switch it to ps4 the light returns to the default red. Im guessing it goes into some ps4 mode so the usb works? 48khz? I have no idea for sure.

Has anyone used a 24/96 usb dac on ps4 via usb? Im looking at that syba dac with a mic input. Zeos says the 24/96 model works on ps4 but they also have a 24/192 model at twice the price with a woflson dac chip in it. Just not sure if ps4.will see it...
I’m pretty sure the ps4 usb bitrate is 16/44.1 or 48 but no one knows for sure. Ps4 Optical output i know goes up to 16/48

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #41,651 of 48,578
I’m pretty sure the ps4 usb bitrate is 16/44.1 or 48 but no one knows for sure. Ps4 Optical output i know goes up to 16/48
thanks, might buy one anyway to test it out. my mackie onyx is 24/48 and it works, that's the first thing i found that in windows didn't have a 16 bit option at all that worked on the ps4, that surprised me a lot.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #41,653 of 48,578

I use the optical out of this HDMI switch to get the 5.1 signal from my Switch

Dec 2, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #41,654 of 48,578
Trying to weigh my connectivity options with my current gear...

Currently, I have my PS4 slim connected to an Astro 5.8 mixamp using an JaTech Digital optical link adapter (since my PS4 has no toslink output). I then use the A40s “wirelessly” connected to the mixamp. It has served my purpose but I’m wondering if I could use this same Astro setup on my Xbox one which is in the living room and would serve better as a couch-friendly, “wireless” alternative?

I’d then use my newly unopened Sennheiser Game One headset on my PS4. Is it advised to connect the ONEs to an amp/dac unit? If so, would another Astro mixamp do or should I be considering the new SoundBlaster G6 unit? I play most FPS games and would definitely require chat/gaming connectivity. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

EDIT: Just read there is no game/chat controller on the G6. Bummer. Wondering if I’m stuck buying yet another Astro mixamp for the Game ONEs to PS4. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #41,655 of 48,578
Trying to weigh my connectivity options with my current gear...

Currently, I have my PS4 slim connected to an Astro 5.8 mixamp using an JaTech Digital optical link adapter (since my PS4 has no toslink output). I then use the A40s “wirelessly” connected to the mixamp. It has served my purpose but I’m wondering if I could use this same Astro setup on my Xbox one which is in the living room and would serve better as a couch-friendly, “wireless” alternative?

I’d then use my newly unopened Sennheiser Game One headset on my PS4. Is it advised to connect the ONEs to an amp/dac unit? If so, would another Astro mixamp do or should I be considering the new SoundBlaster G6 unit? I play most FPS games and would definitely require chat/gaming connectivity. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

EDIT: Just read there is no game/chat controller on the G6. Bummer. Wondering if I’m stuck buying yet another Astro mixamp for the Game ONEs to PS4. Any recommendations?

There's game chat on the G6 for PS4, game chat doesn't work on the Xbox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back