Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 2, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #41,659 of 48,562
So the Astro Mixamps are still the “go to” devices for amp AND game/chat control? I never had a problem with the Mixamps, but was wondering if there is a better alternative to use with the Sennheiser Game ONEs?
The g6 has a better sounding dac and more powerful amp and a much lower noise floor. I prefer sbx over dolby headphone but if the mixamp still works well for you then why not just stick with it.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #41,660 of 48,562
Trying to weigh my connectivity options with my current gear...

Currently, I have my PS4 slim connected to an Astro 5.8 mixamp using an JaTech Digital optical link adapter (since my PS4 has no toslink output). I then use the A40s “wirelessly” connected to the mixamp. It has served my purpose but I’m wondering if I could use this same Astro setup on my Xbox one which is in the living room and would serve better as a couch-friendly, “wireless” alternative?

I’d then use my newly unopened Sennheiser Game One headset on my PS4. Is it advised to connect the ONEs to an amp/dac unit? If so, would another Astro mixamp do or should I be considering the new SoundBlaster G6 unit? I play most FPS games and would definitely require chat/gaming connectivity. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

EDIT: Just read there is no game/chat controller on the G6. Bummer. Wondering if I’m stuck buying yet another Astro mixamp for the Game ONEs to PS4. Any recommendations?

As already said - no voice/game balance control on the G6 - ruins for me what is a great device otherwise (which is why I'm selling mine). Think it's a massive oversight from Creative - claiming voice chat support (which it has) on PS4 but leaving out a key control. Several times online I had to revert to using the controller audio mid game just so I could adjust things properly!

I've ended up with a Steelseries GameDac now (fortunately at a bargain Black Friday price). Not quite in the same league as the G6, not as competent amp wise, but has a great OLED screen and east voice/game balance controls. Still sounds decent when I've tried it with my Game Ones (and other headphones) but only just powerful enough for the Sennheisers in my testing. Also, not a fan of the surround processing on it (so running in stereo) - then again, I didn't like the VSS on the latest Mixamp TR either.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #41,661 of 48,562
The g6 has a better sounding dac and more powerful amp and a much lower noise floor. I prefer sbx over dolby headphone but if the mixamp still works well for you then why not just stick with it.

I’d like to use the 5.8 mixamp on my living room Xbox for a wireless alternative and need another dac/amp with voice and chat control for my PS4 and Sennheiser ONEs, which are in a different room than the Xbox.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #41,662 of 48,562
As already said - no voice/game balance control on the G6 - ruins for me what is a great device otherwise (which is why I'm selling mine). Think it's a massive oversight from Creative - claiming voice chat support (which it has) on PS4 but leaving out a key control. Several times online I had to revert to using the controller audio mid game just so I could adjust things properly!

I've ended up with a Steelseries GameDac now (fortunately at a bargain Black Friday price). Not quite in the same league as the G6, not as competent amp wise, but has a great OLED screen and east voice/game balance controls. Still sounds decent when I've tried it with my Game Ones (and other headphones) but only just powerful enough for the Sennheisers in my testing. Also, not a fan of the surround processing on it (so running in stereo) - then again, I didn't like the VSS on the latest Mixamp TR either.
You didn’t care for the mixamp TR? How does it differ from older Mixamps? I have the 5.8 Astro setup currently and am debating on a newer Mixamp to use with the Game Ones. The G6 sounded promising until I read there was no on-the-fly game/chat controller. Bummer. Any better options than another Astro Mixamp to handle the Game ONEs?

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #41,663 of 48,562
You didn’t care for the mixamp TR? How does it differ from older Mixamps? I have the 5.8 Astro setup currently and am debating on a newer Mixamp to use with the Game Ones. The G6 sounded promising until I read there was no on-the-fly game/chat controller. Bummer. Any better options than another Astro Mixamp to handle the Game ONEs?

You did not ask this from me, but here is my 2 cents...

MixAmp 5.8 and older MixAmps in general have more natural sound. MixAmp Pro TR sound is cleaner and it has better positional audio, but the sound is a bit metallic, colder and too much reverb for my taste. HD598's need some EQ with MixAmp Pro TR to sound somewhat natural. That said, I would pick the TR sound over 5.8 in FPS games any day (I have both).

The sound from G6 is better than MixAmp Pro TR in every way. MLE gave feedback to Creative about G6 and game/chat balance on PS4. I hope that they could address this by software. For example an option to control game/chat balance instead of mic volume/mic monitoring. Now I just adjust in game volume to get the party chat volume right.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #41,664 of 48,562
@Lay. has summed it up perfectly - it was the metallic, unnatural sound I did not like at all.

They have also, made me think about the options to balance game/voice sounds also - maybe I was making too much of it. might well give the G6 another try tonight to see if I can run with it until a Creative update? It really is a great sounding device.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #41,665 of 48,562
You did not ask this from me, but here is my 2 cents...

MixAmp 5.8 and older MixAmps in general have more natural sound. MixAmp Pro TR sound is cleaner and it has better positional audio, but the sound is a bit metallic, colder and too much reverb for my taste. HD598's need some EQ with MixAmp Pro TR to sound somewhat natural. That said, I would pick the TR sound over 5.8 in FPS games any day (I have both).

The sound from G6 is better than MixAmp Pro TR in every way. MLE gave feedback to Creative about G6 and game/chat balance on PS4. I hope that they could address this by software. For example an option to control game/chat balance instead of mic volume/mic monitoring. Now I just adjust in game volume to get the party chat volume right.
i 100% agree, the mic monitors delay makes it unusable for me so switching that to a chat mix would be awesome, plug some open back headphones on this and its a nice little device. does anyone from creative frequent this forum?

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #41,666 of 48,562
i 100% agree, the mic monitors delay makes it unusable for me so switching that to a chat mix would be awesome, plug some open back headphones on this and its a nice little device. does anyone from creative frequent this forum?

I've brought this to their attention via their UK support which they've said will be fed back to the product team!? I'd happily replace the mic monitoring control for the game/chat balance as I only use Open backed headphones anyway.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #41,667 of 48,562
Been waiting since the Soundblaster Recon3D for them to implement game/chat balance controls in a future USB soundcard of theirs.

How is the G5 compared with the G6? Don't have the G6 on the Australian Creative store sadly.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #41,668 of 48,562
Can anyone confirm if the Astro 5.8 mixamp rx/tx unit works sufficiently on the Xbox One S? Does it handle game/chat volume as expected? I was going to jump and buy a mixamp tr pro (or just buy the G6 still undecided) for the PS4 but want to be sure my older 5.8 mixamp setup will work on the Xbox One S for game and chat audio? Any experience?

(Not sure if it matters but the Mix amp and A40s I’m hoping to use on the Xbox One S are the 2011 edition.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back