Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #41,506 of 48,578
Picked up a G6 a week or so ago and really pleased with it - having tested it with my Game One, HD58x and now K702. Using it on PS4.

Not sure if I need to tweak some settings but the SBX processing didn't seem to play nice with CoD Blackout last night. I have most of the processing (Crystaliser etc) turned off and surround set to 'Wide' rather than ultra wide. In most games this is just right for me, especially with the K702s, Think is, on Blackout, footsteps sound like they are literally right next to me when in fact the enemy is a long way off, kept turning expecting someone running behind me when in fact they are dots in the distance? I've gone back to turning off SBX on this game and get far better positional cues that way?

Are there the odd game or two where SBX isn't the best option?
Bo4 has bad sound right now. Everyone is complaining about footsteps having no depth

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #41,507 of 48,578
Picked up a G6 a week or so ago and really pleased with it - having tested it with my Game One, HD58x and now K702. Using it on PS4.

Not sure if I need to tweak some settings but the SBX processing didn't seem to play nice with CoD Blackout last night. I have most of the processing (Crystaliser etc) turned off and surround set to 'Wide' rather than ultra wide. In most games this is just right for me, especially with the K702s, Thing is, on Blackout, footsteps sound like they are literally right next to me when in fact the enemy is a long way off, kept turning expecting someone running behind me when in fact they are dots in the distance? I've gone back to turning off SBX on this game and get far better positional cues that way?

Is there the odd game or two where SBX isn't the best option?

Are you using sbx smart volume or anything like that?

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #41,510 of 48,578
Blackout footsteps were super inconsistent but the recent patch ironed out a lot of it, for me. I'm also using the G6. Have not tried it yet with anything else, maybe I should.

Footsteps in that mode are just loud in general particularly if you and the enemy are outside. Awareness is almost too strong, everyone sounds like they're right next to me even if they're super far away so I sort of become paralyzed sitting there listening to all the people scurrying around and wondering what the hell to do.

Inside it is still a little wonky mostly because verticality is not really there with 5.1. (Haven't tried it with the 7xx, which is gathering dust...maybe I'll give it a go tonight.)

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #41,511 of 48,578
Pretty sure I'm not. I elected to strip all the settings back to off apart from the 'Wide' setting and a 'very small' tweak to the equaliser.

Yea I think in my experience/thoughts with it on wide or ultra being AKG already has a big sound stage it just makes the space that much bigger and everything like footsteps gets jumbled in the sound. That's why I use them in stereo and also trying out these other headsets. I did notice at one point playing yesterday with the ad900x, I landed at the group of house that are in a circle with the gazebo in middle I heard a guy move in another house and was able to pinpoint his position.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #41,512 of 48,578
Blackout footsteps were super inconsistent but the recent patch ironed out a lot of it, for me. I'm also using the G6. Have not tried it yet with anything else, maybe I should.

Footsteps in that mode are just loud in general particularly if you and the enemy are outside. Awareness is almost too strong, everyone sounds like they're right next to me even if they're super far away so I sort of become paralyzed sitting there listening to all the people scurrying around and wondering what the hell to do.

Inside it is still a little wonky mostly because verticality is not really there with 5.1. (Haven't tried it with the 7xx, which is gathering dust...maybe I'll give it a go tonight.)

What headphones are you currently using to game?

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #41,514 of 48,578

The game might be internally hitting some volume ceiling on 7.1, causing all these sounds to have similar volume when they shouldn't. If the game has volume options in the audio menu, try halving it.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #41,515 of 48,578
The game might be internally hitting some volume ceiling on 7.1, causing all these sounds to have similar volume when they shouldn't. If the game has volume options in the audio menu, try halving it.

Sorry, I should have specified; "Awareness" is a perk that amplifies all footsteps. Normally, there is a decent difference in volume level indicating distance, it is just that you can (albeit quietly) hear people from really far away.

When you do hear stuff, the spatial perception is more or less accurate. The G6 I find does tend to put rear cues behind and below my ears though, for some reason. Like they are behind the back of my neck.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #41,516 of 48,578
Yea I think in my experience/thoughts with it on wide or ultra being AKG already has a big sound stage it just makes the space that much bigger and everything like footsteps gets jumbled in the sound. That's why I use them in stereo and also trying out these other headsets. I did notice at one point playing yesterday with the ad900x, I landed at the group of house that are in a circle with the gazebo in middle I heard a guy move in another house and was able to pinpoint his position.

Tried out the 7XX tonight with the G6 in Blackout. Nothing seemed wildly off vs. the ESP950 I've been using for a while. (Ultra wide, 5.1, "Full" in Dolby dynamic settings, Flat EQ, no crystallizer or bass, Xbox).

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #41,517 of 48,578
Tried out the 7XX tonight with the G6 in Blackout. Nothing seemed wildly off vs. the ESP950 I've been using for a while. (Ultra wide, 5.1, "Full" in Dolby dynamic settings, Flat EQ, no crystallizer or bass, Xbox).

Yea with the new update on 10/31/18 footsteps and sounds in general are a lot better. They finally have audio presets also.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #41,519 of 48,578
Also could you please answer how do you like the massdrop HD 58X for gaming? I'm thinking about picking them up over the HD 598 I bought.

Had a quick A v B test last night and this morning, alongside the K702 and still prefer the AKGs for gaming. Mind you I play a lot of FPS games so the wider soundstage of the AKGs probably suit that genre more?

Testing them both particularly on Destiny 2, the HD58x sound good and offer a little more warmth and thump with the weapons but although weapons perhaps sound a little thin with the AKG I can't ignore the fact they make me feel like I'm in a huge, expansive world. The atmosphere they help to generate is just far better suited to the games I play. They do need a fair bit more power though compared to the HD58x. Other advantage for the AKGs for me is being able to use the VModa Boompro with them so they are far more convenient to turn into a headset also :)

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #41,520 of 48,578
Had a quick A v B test last night and this morning, alongside the K702 and still prefer the AKGs for gaming. Mind you I play a lot of FPS games so the wider soundstage of the AKGs probably suit that genre more?

Testing them both particularly on Destiny 2, the HD58x sound good and offer a little more warmth and thump with the weapons but although weapons perhaps sound a little thin with the AKG I can't ignore the fact they make me feel like I'm in a huge, expansive world. The atmosphere they help to generate is just far better suited to the games I play. They do need a fair bit more power though compared to the HD58x. Other advantage for the AKGs for me is being able to use the VModa Boompro with them so they are far more convenient to turn into a headset also :)

Thanks for the update. yea I have noticed with the recent update how superior the K7XX really are for gaming. I really wish I could still try the HD 58X tho because I do like the way they look and hear good things, but since the update I find myself content with the K7XX and would be quite upset if I got stuck with the HD 58X since massdrop doesn't have a return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back