Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #41,536 of 48,566
ohm rating is not a good gauge for how much power a headphone needs. K701s and the like are only 62ohm or so, and they are VERY hard to power. Likewise planars like the HE-6 are like 40ohm. They can't be driven by anything but the best amps.

I can only speculate, but looking at the BTR3, that thing is woefully small. I have no doubt it can't drive a beefier headphone properly at all. The X1 may not be hard to drive, but perhaps a weaker amp signifies a smaller soundstage and weaker bass. Signs of being underdriven.

As for the Mobius not having Apt-X, I know the reason, and I'll just say they're forward thinking and they have specific reasons why they aren't going that route. Apt-X may make sense now, but in the future for high end audio, it may not be so.

When something says up to 600ohm, it just means "They'll get sound". It does not mean, it will be ideal for something harder to drive. You have to look at how much power an amp pushes at the ohm rating. And that's not even all. There is sensitivity as well, which may be low or high regardless of ohms. I'll say the E5 is not an ideal amp for 600ohm. No way it has ample power there. When you think of 600ohm, they are naturally reserved for studio/desktop amplifiers. Not some portable thing you can hold with your hand.

If I get the Audeze Mobius, can you recommend a transmitter for LDAC?

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #41,538 of 48,566
Looks like Creative dropped another firmware update for the G6 today. Link to G6 Support Page

Fixes:
  • Fix HRTF Surround not set in Headphone output
  • Fix no audio when switch to Optical out with headphone connected
  • Fix incorrect switching to headphone output when playing a media in speaker out mode
  • Fix virtualized rear channels cannot be heard when in Direct Mode with optical input
  • Improve device robustness during power up
  • Fix Master volumme balance not working

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #41,539 of 48,566
Is anyone else using Hifiman he4XX with the g6? Because I have this issue with the audio cutting out on ps4 only when i play it at a decently loud volume (on high gain and 80-90% volume). This happens with other hard to drive headphones too like with my 6XX. It usually only happens with really loud sounds like gun fire or explosions. Using an external amp is the only to fix this issue. Curious if anyone else encountered this issue.

I guess it’s not that big of a deal if you have another amp. But I’m not sure if that makes my g6 defective. It only does this with Dolby Digital. Usb and lpcm dont have this issue. It doesn’t help when the ps4 output is quieter than my laptop.

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #41,540 of 48,566
My Massdrop KSC75X came in today. Terrible timing, but at least it's here. They'll be used for my Switch, since I can't use my Portapro wireless on the switch without some adapter I don't wanna spend money on.

I swapped the black clips from the X and put them on my Portapro, since those get a LOT of use every night, while the 75X will only be used rarely on the Switch, so I don't mind the silver clips on them.

As for sound, you can really tell the difference between the PortaPro and 75X. The PortaPro is much fuller and warmer. More realistic. The 75X is bright and harsher. It's been a long time since I've compared the two, but Koss definitely got it right in charging more for the PortaPro over KSC75s. Not to say the 75 sounds bad. For the price, they are still fantastic.

As always, bend the clips inward so the drivers sit closer to your ear canals for maximum sound quality from the 75.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #41,541 of 48,566
Looks like Creative dropped another firmware update for the G6 today. Link to G6 Support Page

Fixes:
  • Fix HRTF Surround not set in Headphone output
  • Fix no audio when switch to Optical out with headphone connected
  • Fix incorrect switching to headphone output when playing a media in speaker out mode
  • Fix virtualized rear channels cannot be heard when in Direct Mode with optical input
  • Improve device robustness during power up
  • Fix Master volumme balance not working

Ooh, I'll be giving this a go in the next few days.

I hope @Fegefeuer can chime in and tell us if the settings are saving correctly.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #41,542 of 48,566
i want to do optical out from my sound blaster z' virtual surround to my modi multibit which is connected to my amp via introprose cross connector, what is the optical out cable called can someone link me one on the schiit website or amazon, sorry im a bit confused i dont want to waste my money and end up buying the wrong cable

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #41,543 of 48,566
i want to do optical out from my sound blaster z' virtual surround to my modi multibit which is connected to my amp via introprose cross connector, what is the optical out cable called can someone link me one on the schiit website or amazon, sorry im a bit confused i dont want to waste my money and end up buying the wrong cable
Toslink/Spdif cable. Im not sure on your input but I'd advise to also get yourself some toslink to 3.5mm adapters, in case your input is the smaller one (like on the Creative G6.)

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #41,545 of 48,566
ok and i'd plug the adapter into the headphone jack in the sbz then the toslink cable to the modi multibit? or would i need a adapter for that aswell
No not the headphone jack. That adapter is for optical outs that are 3.5mm. NOT the headphone jack.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #41,547 of 48,566
Yeah just looked at the rear i/o, a regular toslink cable is all you need. Sorry for the confusion, I'm doing 4 things at once.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #41,548 of 48,566
No not the headphone jack. That adapter is for optical outs that are 3.5mm. NOT the headphone jack.

i was under the impression sbx only works on the headphone port, i guess i plug the cable into the sound card then use the adapter to plug into the modi? the dac and amp are already connected so i guess i wont need to do anything extra for that, idk im confused

Users who are viewing this thread

Back