Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #41,521 of 48,562
Has any one bought anything from here https://www.blinq.com/search/go?w=Sennheiser Headphones ?

Looks like you can find some deals...saw several sennheisers at a pretty good price. I found this searching through sennhesiers website look for a headset for my son so seems legit. I ordered a set of the GSP500 (not sure if they are better than the game versions, but with the 10% off first order they came out to $133 out the door for an open box pair.

Should be arriving 11/12, so I will let you all know how they arrive.

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #41,522 of 48,562
So I just received the GW100 Grados wrieless headphones that have SR225 drivers (apparently/unconfirmed). This was 100% impulse purchase.

My very first pair of Grados, and of course I plan on writing about them. What I will say is:

1. FINALLY a headphone that plays nice with my bluetooth transmitter. I FINALLY get Apt-X Low Latency to work! That means I finally can just use the Creative G6 to send spdif to the transmitter to a wireless headphone without it defaulting to the really bad proprietary Fast Stream codec which garbles and distorts with most of anything. Apt-X LL sounds fine for my needs, and I can do SBX with the G6.

2. Holy cow, for $250, the headphone feels and looks INCREDIBLY cheap. I mean, Grado, I dunno what you're thinking but aesthetically, this looks and feels like a sub $40 headphone. For $250, you'd think it'd look the part. It doesn't. Disappointment here, questionable design choice here.

3. I always heard Grados were uncomfortable, but even someone like me who takes comfort as #1 priority, I find the GW100 actually quite good on comfort. It's very light, the headband is basically like there is none, and the foam on ear pads are not much different from Portapros, just much bigger in size. I'm used to this style. Clamp is fine too. They're not Ultrasone HFI-15G levels of on ear perfection in comfort, but they're solid here.

4. Really, REEEEEALLY impressive bass presence, but not much actual impact. It's more like it's there, but you don't feel TOO much of it. Not to say it's not present. Like I said, it's actually pretty damn audible, just it ain't a basshead headphone. If this is typical Grado bass, I am a FAN.

5. The midrange is REAAALLY excellent. I think Grado mids are something that are worth investigating.

6. It's a sharp detail clarity. Not warm, not fluid. Sharp and tactile. Fast. I initially thought the GW100 sounded actually not very good. After messing with it, and changing from my phone to my PC, I dunno what prompted a change or if I adapted, but I'm loving the sound. It's different. But man, it's good. I'm actually upset that I missed so many years of Grado goodness. If this is any indication on the Grado sound, I'm absolutely interested in hearing what their other stuff sounds like.

7. Spacious dimensionality. Can't say actual soundstage, but in stereo, it is reallly nice.

8. Controls are incredibly simple if a bit too simple, and the headphone only connects to ONE device at a time.

9. The wired connection has REALLY clean, clear sound with absolutely stellar midrange. One problem: the bass is sucked out. So I don't know how effective wired mode will be without a bass eq to bring the bass back. It effectively makes the GW100 sound like another headphone practically all because of the bass. I'll have to test this more.

10. Initial impressions are mainly positive, aside from the obvious build quality and price. I think it would've been a must have at $150. $250... I dunno. But then, I dunno how it compares to Grados wired lineup. Sound-wise, I'm fine with the sound quality for $250. I mean, damn, it's infectious, clear as a bell and detailed. It really doesn't even sound like a wireless headphone to me. On sound alone, Grado, you have a new fan. ABSOLUTELY.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #41,523 of 48,562
So I just received the GW100 Grados wrieless headphones that have SR225 drivers (apparently/unconfirmed). This was 100% impulse purchase.

My very first pair of Grados, and of course I plan on writing about them. What I will say is:

1. FINALLY a headphone that plays nice with my bluetooth transmitter. I FINALLY get Apt-X Low Latency to work! That means I finally can just use the Creative G6 to send spdif to the transmitter to a wireless headphone without it defaulting to the really bad proprietary Fast Stream codec which garbles and distorts with most of anything. Apt-X LL sounds fine for my needs, and I can do SBX with the G6.

2. Holy cow, for $250, the headphone feels and looks INCREDIBLY cheap. I mean, Grado, I dunno what you're thinking but aesthetically, this looks and feels like a sub $40 headphone. For $250, you'd think it'd look the part. It doesn't. Disappointment here, questionable design choice here.

3. I always heard Grados were uncomfortable, but even someone like me who takes comfort as #1 priority, I find the GW100 actually quite good on comfort. It's very light, the headband is basically like there is none, and the foam on ear pads are not much different from Portapros, just much bigger in size. I'm used to this style. Clamp is fine too. They're not Ultrasone HFI-15G levels of on ear perfection in comfort, but they're solid here.

4. Really, REEEEEALLY impressive bass presence, but not much actual impact. It's more like it's there, but you don't feel TOO much of it. Not to say it's not present. Like I said, it's actually pretty damn audible, just it ain't a basshead headphone. If this is typical Grado bass, I am a FAN.

5. The midrange is REAAALLY excellent. I think Grado mids are something that are worth investigating.

6. It's a sharp detail clarity. Not warm, not fluid. Sharp and tactile. Fast. I initially thought the GW100 sounded actually not very good. After messing with it, and changing from my phone to my PC, I dunno what prompted a change or if I adapted, but I'm loving the sound. It's different. But man, it's good. I'm actually upset that I missed so many years of Grado goodness. If this is any indication on the Grado sound, I'm absolutely interested in hearing what their other stuff sounds like.

7. Spacious dimensionality. Can't say actual soundstage, but in stereo, it is reallly nice.

8. Controls are incredibly simple if a bit too simple, and the headphone only connects to ONE device at a time.

9. The wired connection has REALLY clean, clear sound with absolutely stellar midrange. One problem: the bass is sucked out. So I don't know how effective wired mode will be without a bass eq to bring the bass back. It effectively makes the GW100 sound like another headphone practically all because of the bass. I'll have to test this more.

10. Initial impressions are mainly positive, aside from the obvious build quality and price. I think it would've been a must have at $150. $250... I dunno. But then, I dunno how it compares to Grados wired lineup. Sound-wise, I'm fine with the sound quality for $250. I mean, damn, it's infectious, clear as a bell and detailed. It really doesn't even sound like a wireless headphone to me. On sound alone, Grado, you have a new fan. ABSOLUTELY.

these are worth a try, very cheap and comfy too! in case you want to try them as less on ear style, i switched my sr325 and sr125 to these pads, so cheap yet a little more comfy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ear-Pads...=item212d3b23fe:g:NNoAAOSwoAxZp~Wk:rk:37:pf:0

PS: thank you for the awesome review of them!

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #41,524 of 48,562
I heard those are uncomfortable compared to the comfy stock pads. Comfort is my #1 priority so not sure I'd give that up. The pads are cheap, so I may invest in them at some point if out of mere curiosity.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #41,525 of 48,562
I got the grado sr60 for free and just had them as a backup headset. Once I tried them and heard how good they sound, and how comfortable they are, they’re here to stay. Not sure how people think they’re uncomfortable. Bass is surprisingly good also

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #41,526 of 48,562
i get driven crazy by on ear headphones, i tried the big pads and liked them more but to be honest they still still sit on my ears, i wouldn't call them uncomfortable but they can irritate or itch your ear but very much like the stock ones, if the stock don't then these wont, there both made from sponge! i wouldn't pay the 60 for the official ones! i prefered them to the stock, at there price i wasn't worried if they would suck at all! then again i dont think im the target market for this type of headphone, i do enjoy the fun in your face and smack style presentation of these headphones!

after a lot of time they cause my ears to itch. i hate velour for this same reason, i prefer leather or pleather in general. (i don't sweat much)

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #41,527 of 48,562
What annoys me is how bass is affected by the bluetooth codecs. They sound fullest/best directly from the bluetooth connection of my PC (which I believe W10 defaults to apt-X codec built in, but the bass is reduced a little out of the apt-X low latency codec out of my bluetooth transmitter. The Low Latency codec is what I want to use since of least lag and the only way to connect to my G6 for virtual surround. It's not a big deal, but if I wanna listen to music I absolutely wanna switch to my PC's built in bluetooth support. Problem here is that the damn thing cuts in and out. The transmitter has zero issues with connection, while the slightly better sounding PC connection has a worse connection. Ugh.

The difference in bass is minimal but its enough that it's gonna nag at me. Lol. Both connections sound stellar in quality either way.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #41,528 of 48,562
Nov 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #41,530 of 48,562
g6 is so frustrating, in direct mode i really like it! also direct mode's mic monitor does appear to be instant, yet you cant record the mic in direct mode! and when you use the mixing chip on the device the mic has a VERY harsh filter on it making it sound much like the gsx mic input or other gaming grade recorders. some people on overclock site even checked it in audacity. https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-sound-cards-computer-audio/1709766-soundblasterx-g6-mic-input-terrible.html

i hope they can add a firmware update that allows recording the mic in direct mode! that would make this the ultimate setup for me (not a user of surround processing) until then the steeleseries gamedac is best i have.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #41,531 of 48,562
I am trying to replace my tried and true mixamp 5.8. I have been using it since 2012, but it has started to have problems getting a clean signal.

I am currently experimenting with Bluetooth Low Latency. I am using the Avantree Oasis Plus as my transmitter and the Fiio BTR3 as my receiver. I am pairing these with the Fidelio X1’s.

I had researched these quite a bit and it seemed like these were the best available options for wireless sound in terms of fidelity and power. However, I am prettty underwhelmed coming from the mix amp 5.8. I feel like the soundstage is 3-6 feet away and I am not getting the full bass the mixamp offered.

Can someone recommend a better Bluetooth/wireless solution? I love my current headphones (I only use them for gaming), and I don’t want to get involved with the newer Mixamp stuff that forces you to use their headphones.

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #41,532 of 48,562
I think it maty be more that you need a stronger amp now? You do lose a little bit of dynamics with blueooth depending on the quality of it. I have an Avantree transmitter (this one) that has AptX low latency, and it sounds good, but compared to connecting to the PC's Apt-X (non-LL), the LL loses just a hint of bass. Not by much, still very much worth it, but it does sound better through the standard Apt-X (though the lag in video games wouldn't be ideal...it's perfect for music listening). It may also be the conversion from grabbing audio from an spdif/optical and converting that to bluetooth as opposed to the built in Apt-X on my PC not needing to convert.

In any case, I think your Fiio device may be woefully underpowered for the X1. I don't think the X1 is hard to drive, but I do think you may want something beefier.

As for your use, I dunno. I myself have bluetooth headphones specifically when I don't want to be tethered.

Grado GW100 (which also has a very functional 3.5mm input which I use for my Vmoda BoomPro, in a wired setup)
Audeze Mobius
Koss PortaPro Wireless
Creative Soundblaster JAM

It's hard finding a wireless solution for wired headphones.

I've been saying it for years. Wireless is too convenient to pass up.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #41,533 of 48,562
I think it maty be more that you need a stronger amp now? You do lose a little bit of dynamics with blueooth depending on the quality of it. I have an Avantree transmitter (this one) that has AptX low latency, and it sounds good, but compared to connecting to the PC's Apt-X (non-LL), the LL loses just a hint of bass. Not by much, still very much worth it, but it does sound better through the standard Apt-X (though the lag in video games wouldn't be ideal...it's perfect for music listening). It may also be the conversion from grabbing audio from an spdif/optical and converting that to bluetooth as opposed to the built in Apt-X on my PC not needing to convert.

In any case, I think your Fiio device may be woefully underpowered for the X1. I don't think the X1 is hard to drive, but I do think you may want something beefier.

As for your use, I dunno. I myself have bluetooth headphones specifically when I don't want to be tethered.

Grado GW100 (which also has a very functional 3.5mm input which I use for my Vmoda BoomPro, in a wired setup)
Audeze Mobius
Koss PortaPro Wireless
Creative Soundblaster JAM

It's hard finding a wireless solution for wired headphones.

I've been saying it for years. Wireless is too convenient to pass up.

I am interested in the Audeze Mobius, but I don’t think it includes AptX LL, which seems strange on a self-proclaimed gaming headphone.

I believe the Fiio BTR3 is rated for headphones up to 100 ohms and the X1 is 30 ohm. So, I’m really surprised that I have to max volume out to get decent volume and it is still lacking the beefier sound signature afforded by the mixamp 5.8.

I’d like to try a different dac amp, but finding ones that provide Bluetooth AptX LL isn’t easy. The only one I have found with more impressive specs is the Creative Sound Blaster E5. It is supposed to be able to push 600 ohm cans. Anyone have any opinion on these?

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #41,534 of 48,562
ohm rating is not a good gauge for how much power a headphone needs. K701s and the like are only 62ohm or so, and they are VERY hard to power. Likewise planars like the HE-6 are like 40ohm. They can't be driven by anything but the best amps.

I can only speculate, but looking at the BTR3, that thing is woefully small. I have no doubt it can't drive a beefier headphone properly at all. The X1 may not be hard to drive, but perhaps a weaker amp signifies a smaller soundstage and weaker bass. Signs of being underdriven.

As for the Mobius not having Apt-X, I know the reason, and I'll just say they're forward thinking and they have specific reasons why they aren't going that route. Apt-X may make sense now, but in the future for high end audio, it may not be so.

When something says up to 600ohm, it just means "They'll get sound". It does not mean, it will be ideal for something harder to drive. You have to look at how much power an amp pushes at the ohm rating. And that's not even all. There is sensitivity as well, which may be low or high regardless of ohms. I'll say the E5 is not an ideal amp for 600ohm. No way it has ample power there. When you think of 600ohm, they are naturally reserved for studio/desktop amplifiers. Not some portable thing you can hold with your hand.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #41,535 of 48,562
I know this has been mentioned before but really need some help with my G6 before sending it back. Pairing up with some AKG K702 and VModa Boom Pro Mic and sound is superb. However, using with PS4 especially when in a party, I just cannot get the volume of the party members chat to be heard easily over the game audio. I've tried this with the Input/Output device set as the G6 on the PS4 settings and also with the Output device as TV/Amp (which allows some form of part chat mixing via the PS4 onscreen slider). With the first combination comms are virtually inaudible, with the 2nd I can just about have a conversation over the game audio, but the main audio quality seems to suffer. As a comparison, I plugged my Game One's into the controller and great party chat returned instantly.

I don't have access easily to a PC and while I did make a few tweaks day one, I don't recall any setting that could sort this easily? If not, might as well send the G6 and AKGs back :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back