Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 24, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #41,221 of 48,562
Can anyone with a G6 confirm something for me? SBX surround when connecting a headphone directly to the G6 only works when you set the "apply headphone virtualization" to headphone, and not line and optical out, in the software, under setup.

If this is true, we may have a problem, because EVERYTIME you turn the G6 on, you have to manually go into the software and change this to headphone. EVERYTIME. It doesn't save that setting.

IIRC, I was playing Destiny 2 the other day and wondering why my surround wasn't sounding right. I then noticed it was on line and optical out. I switched to headphone, and it worked like expected.

I'm gonna get confirmation by Creative, because this isn't something we should have to deal with, especially those who don't plan on attaching external devices to the G6, and may not have easy access to a PC and the software to toggle this EVERYTIME you turn the G6 on.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #41,222 of 48,562
Looking for a recommendation on a pair of gaming headphones, my options are the HD 6XX, HE-4XX, K7XX, or HD 58X, all from Massdrop.
Primarily looking for something that can be used competitively and focused on hearing/positioning enemies and distancing gunshots. Games mainly played are PUBG, Halo, CoD, GoW but also some single player games. Looking for a bit of bass also to "feel" explosions and things of that nature.
If anybody has tried the ones above and can give some tips on which one is better I'd definitely appreciate it. I've heard that the HE-4XX is actually really good for competitive gaming but just wanted to get opinions from other people.
I do like the sound quality of my HD58X, but have not tried any surround sound with it.....yet.
As second choice, I might got for the HE-4XX.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #41,223 of 48,562
Can anyone with a G6 confirm something for me? SBX surround when connecting a headphone directly to the G6 only works when you set the "apply headphone virtualization" to headphone, and not line and optical out, in the software, under setup.

If this is true, we may have a problem, because EVERYTIME you turn the G6 on, you have to manually go into the software and change this to headphone. EVERYTIME. It doesn't save that setting.

IIRC, I was playing Destiny 2 the other day and wondering why my surround wasn't sounding right. I then noticed it was on line and optical out. I switched to headphone, and it worked like expected.

I'm gonna get confirmation by Creative, because this isn't something we should have to deal with, especially those who don't plan on attaching external devices to the G6, and may not have easy access to a PC and the software to toggle this EVERYTIME you turn the G6 on.
Mine does this too.

You have to reset the device in the software setting in order to fix it.

Another method that worked for me was to unplug my headphones, select the headphones setting, than plug my headphones back in.

The same thing can happen vice versa.

I wish it can automatically adjust settings.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #41,224 of 48,562

Uh oh - glad I read that though as was going to buy one this week. I'm using it on console though in the lounge and really don't want to have to connect to a computer everytime? Hopefully Creative can revise this in a software update??

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #41,225 of 48,562
Ok so I did what headphonesonly said and disconnected the headphones, changed the setting to headphones and plugged it back in. It seems to have fixed the issue though not sure if this is permanent.

I disconnected, rebooted the PC and the setting is still on headphone so perhaps it's all good now.

WhiteHart, I'm not sure if this is an actual issue or just a minor bug. I'll update as time progresses and see if the problem come back.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #41,226 of 48,562

The software seems to be a bit buggy when changing settings and trying to get them stay after the change. I use it with PS4 Pro.

I had to reset the device and double/triple check the settings by unplugging the device and see that the settings are the way I want. It will work and stay with both (headphone out virtualization or line out virtualization) setting once successfully saved.

First I was using it straight from the headphone out. Now I'm using it from the optical out to the Sennheiser HDV820 and HD800S. I don't even have to touch or see the device anymore so everything is good. If only there would be a way to change the game/party chat balance, it would be perfect. Now I just have to adjust the game volume in every game to get the balance right. The PS4 party chat balance adjustment is grayed out when G6 is connected.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #41,227 of 48,562
Does the line out virtualization stay selected once you put it in or does it revert back to headphones after a restart? It goes back to headphones to me everytime like it starts with speaker settings every time. So what I do once my PC is booted up:

set to headphone mode, go to other settings, set virtualization to line out. Done. Annoying.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #41,228 of 48,562
For me it was the opposite. Defaulted to line out/optical on boot.

They really should've just done like the X7 software where you check the box that states to send virtualization to line out/optical out. Automatically changing this on the G6 is impractical.

Things need toggles, not auto changes. Things that seem to be for convenience on paper end up being hassles in the end.

I will absolutely bring this up to them.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #41,229 of 48,562
yes, please do. I want the settings to stay and lock FOREVER.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #41,230 of 48,562
While we get to the bottom of the G6 software, I don't suppose anyone has managed to try the now stand alone Steelseries GameDAC? As all settings are controlled on the device itself, it would be better for my console focused needs. problem is, I wasn't overly keen on the audio quality when it was packaged with their own headphones - wondered if now being able to use your own set of headphones would improve things?

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #41,232 of 48,562
Someone is saying that they can't change the chat balance on the G6 relative to game audio on the ps4?

Isn't that related to the sidetone function on the G6 itself (by pressing in the volume knob, the light turns red, and it constrols sidetone volume)? I know what sidetone is, but perhaps the louder the sidetone, the louder your voice is? The Mobius strangely has that issue, where they're tied together. The louder you hear your own voice, the louder it is to everyone is as well.

In any case, I know there is no setting on ps4 to change mic volume when the X6 is connected via usb, but there IS a way to change mic volume on the g6 software itself. It's buried in the bottom under setup, and then the Mixer sub section, and press the gear in "External Mic".

Or is the problem something else?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #41,233 of 48,562
Massdrop is dropping Mr Speaker Ether CXs tomorrow. I currently game on either Phillips X1 or M1060 primarily via Xbox with MixAmpTR or ATH-AD700x for competitive. I do have an O2/ODAC also. Would the Ethers be a worthwhile pickup and retire the others?

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #41,234 of 48,562
Massdrop is dropping Mr Speaker Ether CXs tomorrow. I currently game on either Phillips X1 or M1060 primarily via Xbox with MixAmpTR or ATH-AD700x for competitive. I do have an O2/ODAC also. Would the Ethers be a worthwhile pickup and retire the others?
I haven't listened to the Ether CXs, but they are closed back HPs. Everything you currently own is open back. I would expect soundstage to be smaller but again, haven't tried them. I personally need to be aware of my surroundings.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #41,235 of 48,562
Anyone get popping when set to 32 bit on the G6? Either my USB ports are that awful, or something else is happening. I set it to 24 bit and I don't get that anymore.

Mind you, this isn't limited to the G6. I used to have the same issue with Audio GD gear when running too high a bitrate.

I'll hgave to do more testing, as my USB ports DO have some problems, so I can't for sure blame the G6 here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back