Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 13, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #39,451 of 48,562
My AKG 712 pro just arrived, and i need some advice in how to connect a mic to use on a xbox party.

I have a sound blaster x7 and i would like to take advantage of the features that offers or if you guys know a better way to do this i am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #39,453 of 48,562
My AKG 712 pro just arrived, and i need some advice in how to connect a mic to use on a xbox party.

I have a sound blaster x7 and i would like to take advantage of the features that offers or if you guys know a better way to do this i am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

I have an X7 as well, and for Xbox Chat, it takes quite a bit of cords to get it working properly. I believe there's a diagram in the original post. What I've been doing to eliminate all the mess is using the Xbox app on my PC, and starting a party with my friends from there. The only cord you will need plugged in is the headphone and mic cords into the X7, and nothing into the controller. The only downfall to this is that you won't be able to talk to anybody outside of your party, and you need your PC and X7 close by.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #39,454 of 48,562
Out of super competitive cans Audio Technica AD700-serie would likely sound entirely too bassless after HD650.
AKG K701/702 would fare better in bass.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=853&graphID[1]=2661&graphID[2]=2621&graphID[3]=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph
Q701 would have mostly similar bass to HD650 if current K701/702 share same sound.
(K712 actually has more bass than HD650)

From Sennheiser forget HD59x.
Their mechanical design with that single sided ear cup attachment to head band is at Chinese fashion trinket level.
Gaming headsets are actually better in that with cup attachment more similar to HD650.

And MLE tested open design Game One.
Game Zero is closed design and hence suffers at least soundstage challenges.
Besides apparently also typical closed design sound challenges:
https://www.windowscentral.com/sennheiser-game-zero-review

Many of those sets are expired from 2011 i see. I see theyre selling a K712 Pro but not good for competetive gaming people say.
I am a bit worried going away from Sennheiser, they have been my go to headset for so many years giving me great sound.
Im definetely gonna keep my HD650s for music but i need to find a set perfect for positional audio.

Maybe going up higher on the Sennheiser lineup would be the best thing? Like HD700 or HD800 if im crazy enough, those provide a better soundstage from what ive read so far.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #39,455 of 48,562
I just got the Koss ESP950's in from Massdrop and gave them a whirl tonight with Fallout 4. Takes me a few hours to really gauge the precision of cans but initial impressions are very positive. Spacious, good imaging, immediately apparent positioning without even trying to really listen for it. (Needed to EQ it though, see below.) Compared to the 6XX's I have been using for the past few days it was immediately apparent the surround positioning on the ESP9500's is superior. Sort of unfair since the 6XX are a bit congested but it's always a good initial sign when you try on a new pair and the difference is obvious (in a positive direction). Anyone else here ever tried these cans?

On music... wow. These are really great. I find I can EQ away some of the issues with the ES90 energizer (to my ears at least). A poor man's alternative to getting a Stax amp to pair it with...It did sound a little "muffled" out of the box but that's gone. I'm inclined to think with more listening that these may enter god-tier territory for me...up there with the HD800S and HE560 for me personally. Just have to get past the fact that when handling them they feel like cheap headphones you find in a cereal box...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #39,456 of 48,562
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I read a lot of reply in this thread before asking. I'm looking for headphone and DAC to go with for gaming ( Games like The Witcher 3 to PES2k18 and other like Diablo 3 ) and with good sound for music. Budget is around 350€ ( I live in France ). I also want to connect my 2.1 Bose Companion 50 to it.

For the headphones I hesitate between Senn HD599 (159€) / AKG K702 (150€) / Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (138€)

And for the DAC I don't know which one fit good with my future headphone and 2.1. ( I found SMSL AD18 but did i miss other product ? )

Thank you huyz and sorry for my imperfect English i'm a French baguette :x ( Si des FR lisent ça et veulent bien me filer un coup de main ça serait très sympa, merci). Have a good day.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #39,458 of 48,562
Are the Sennheiser game one better than hd598s? anyone have experience with both? Better as in for gaming mainly
I do. tbh since KetDirect introduced the 598-dedicated microphone they're both on par as far as gaming duty goes. Just pick the cheapest one.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #39,459 of 48,562
Purely based on competitive gaming; what's the skinny on the Audio Technical AD700X, AD900X, or AD1000X? Purely for gaming and positional audio in FPS, I've heard the AD700X is good, $50 more for the AD900X, then jumping up to double the price of 900's to get the AD1000X. I'm not looking at critical listening for music on these; strictly gaming.

These will be to augment my bass heavy cans I have for other 'fun' gaming and music. Phillips X1's, Monolith M1060, HD6XX, TH-X0.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #39,460 of 48,562
Many of those sets are expired from 2011 i see. I see theyre selling a K712 Pro but not good for competetive gaming people say.
I am a bit worried going away from Sennheiser, they have been my go to headset for so many years giving me great sound.
Im definetely gonna keep my HD650s for music but i need to find a set perfect for positional audio.

Maybe going up higher on the Sennheiser lineup would be the best thing? Like HD700 or HD800 if im crazy enough, those provide a better soundstage from what ive read so far.
With fun bass impact K712 isn't at the highest level in competitiveness, but that doesn't mean they're not good.
Before DT990 I used bass neutral Sennheiser HD595 (preceeding version of HD598 rated by MLE in starting post) and while bass neutrality of HD595 makes it easier to distinguish foot steps difference isn't exactly big. (unlike to closed design gaming garbages)
But of course K701/702 with more neutral bass are better for that "detail whoring".

Once myself thought that everything Sennheiser makes is good.
Until after using last millennium design HD590 for nearly ten years (with second cable swap coming) got HD595.
With problem being in badly designed structure used by whole HD5xx serie:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-598-starting-to-crack.534963/
Though cynic in me says design change from HD590 is deliberate to make sure they don't survive too long...

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #39,462 of 48,562
looking for headphone and DAC to go with for gaming ( Games like The Witcher 3 to PES2k18 and other like Diablo 3 ) and with good sound for music. Budget is around 350€ ( I live in France ). I also want to connect my 2.1 Bose Companion 50 to it.

For the headphones I hesitate between Senn HD599 (159€) / AKG K702 (150€) / Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (138€)

And for the DAC I don't know which one fit good with my future headphone and 2.1. ( I found SMSL AD18 but did i miss other product ? )

Thank you huyz and sorry for my imperfect English i'm a French baguette :x ( Si des FR lisent ça et veulent bien me filer un coup de main ça serait très sympa, merci). Have a good day.
Well, if your computer gives out analog sound you already have DAC in there...:beyersmile::k701smile:
With own experience of mechanical design of HD59x would suggest staying away from them, especially when there's mechanically lot better designed headphones for cheaper price.
As apparently HD599 moves away from neutral bass of HD595/8 it would be in competitive sense (picking up foot step sounds and such) farther from level of AKG K702.
While in fun sound direction DT990 again offers very fan bass impact with still good soundstage and details... In design made to last.
Can well believe people having decades old DT990s in use...
That design is from time when product durability was more like thing of honour to designers, unlike in modern quarterly capitalism.

Would pretty much say choise between K702 and DT990 coming to:
Do you want closer to neutral bass for easiest distinguishing of foot steps and such sounds at the expense of less fun?
Or good impact bass for fun immersion with some compromise in competitiveness?
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2141&scale=30
Though for music you might want to give DT990 some minus in equalizer's 8 kHz band.
Unless you're used to treble which isn't rolled off.
Speaking of that what headphones you have currently?

That technically Digital-to-Analog Converter term has become fashion marketing name for selling less features as more.
While PES2k18 no doubt lacks benefit from more than stereo sound, Witcher and such games would have better immersion with binaural sound.
And that's where those fashion DACs have nothing.
Especially with good open headphones with big soundstage difference between stereo and binaural sound is big...
Basically like comparing "in left ear-in center of head-in right ear" sound to actually being in that environment listening sounds coming from all directions and different distances.
While with bad headphones binaural sound loses its immersion.
(so naturally most gaming branded headphones are bad Chinese garbage...)

Looking how you're also going to use both speakers and headphones, it would be good to have something which gives convenient switching between binaural-sound for headphones and speakers with different settings.
For Sound Blaster Z-serie there's SBZ Switcher which can be used to automate switching settings to hotkey.
In others there likely isn't equally easy way.
Or do you have laptop and need external sound card?

And don't worry, your English is very good.
Seen lot worser by people from supposedly English speaking countries.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #39,463 of 48,562
Hey, @Yethal (or anyone else who knows the answer): My brand new X7 is playing very, very quietly and only out of the left channel. This is the same behavior that I experienced when I had to send mine in for repair last year. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this before I return the unit?

I've tried multiple inputs, multiple headphones, multiple devices and both headphone jacks to be thorough.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #39,464 of 48,562
I picked up an X7 for the third time, lol. I'm going to use it for now with an OG Hifiman HE-400, but I think I need to EQ the mids up a bit. Is anyone using/has used this combination?

I'm still on my HE400, and in fact placed an order for some Shure 1540 pads for them. HE400 is still a personal fave that I wouldn't replace for much else. Between this for casual gaming, and the Game One when I need a muc/more competitive listening, I'm covered.

I've owned the X7 for years and it hasn't let me down, aside from random pops/crackles through usb on my pc. Not sure if it's the X7 here or my ancient laptop that has had quite a few issues in it's life, like a dead hdmi out, mic/headphone jack no longer working, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #39,465 of 48,562
Hey, @Yethal (or anyone else who knows the answer): My brand new X7 is playing very, very quietly and only out of the left channel. This is the same behavior that I experienced when I had to send mine in for repair last year. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this before I return the unit?

I've tried multiple inputs, multiple headphones, multiple devices and both headphone jacks to be thorough.
Switch opamps from right to left and see if the problem moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back