Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #39,436 of 48,566
Now got AKG K712.
Definitely sound nice straight from the box.
Feels definitely like there's some more presence on mids than in DT990.
Though I guess better to do just in case some "burn in" with them before starting to do comparison.

Can you tell us about soundstage (width and depth) and positional clue in comparison to the DT990?

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #39,437 of 48,566
Hi,

I'm looking for a competetive headphone for games like CS:GO, Fortnite, Battlefield etc.
At the moment I am happy with my HE-400, but after reading this thread I've got curious about those headphones with the widest and best soundstage.
For single player games and most of my music I will stick with my HE-400, because I love them so much.
They are just lacking the mentioned wide soundstage, on every other merit I'm absolutely content with them.

In this thread people and MLE mention the following headphones with the best soundstage:

• K701/K702
  • Q701
  • K712
  • AD700
  • HD598
The Q701, AD700 and HD598 are discontinued in my country and I can't buy them.
The new AD700X should be the same as the old AD700.
The new HD599 are not the same as the HD598, because they trade soundstage for more bass.
The old Q701 should be roughly the same as the new 2017 China version of the K702.
The K712 trades a little bit of it's soundstage for a warmer sound and more bass.

I think I will either get the K702 (170€) or the AD700X (180€).
Can anyone tell me, which one would be better?
Furthermore, which of those headphones would better complement my HE-400?

I would also like to ask, whether anyone has tried one of those new headphones for gaming?

• Beyerdynamic Amiron/DT1990
  • HD 599
  • HD 660s
Thanks for every help!

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #39,438 of 48,566
Honestly dude...

The can that is the most comfortable on your head is the best one.

Every headphone you mention is perfect.

The one you can wear for hours on end is the one you want to buy.

I love Senn's on my head for headphones - some hate them

I love Shoei on my head for motorbike helmets - some hate them

I need a "wide" soled shoe on my foot for shoes - some need narrow.

You're talking quality headphones - get one that fits

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #39,439 of 48,566
Honestly dude...

The can that is the most comfortable on your head is the best one.

Every headphone you mention is perfect.

The one you can wear for hours on end is the one you want to buy.

I love Senn's on my head for headphones - some hate them

I love Shoei on my head for motorbike helmets - some hate them

You're talking quality headphones - get one that fits

This. I have both K7XX, and Senn 598s. always go back to my 598s due to comfort, although I do like the sound stage from the AKGs. The K7XX is a pretty big set of cans, and feels like a lot of weight on my head. This is especially true when used with a mod mic, and there's just a mess of wires to deal with. I use a boom mice built into the cable for the 598's and its just one cord. AD700x are great for positioning, but that's another set of headphones that the fit can be problematic. They tend to feel like they are slipping down my head, and distracts me from what I'm playing. If you have the opportunity, see if you can try a pair on before you buy. Senns can be a bit clampy at first, but they loosen up.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #39,440 of 48,566
The new AD700X should be the same as the old AD700.
The new HD599 are not the same as the HD598, because they trade soundstage for more bass.

I think I will either get the K702 (170€) or the AD700X (180€).
Can anyone tell me, which one would be better?
Furthermore, which of those headphones would better complement my HE-400?
AD700X apparently slightly increases AD700's bass.
But when there's no bass to start with, result is still going to be pretty much bassless.
So that as much bass as in tin can description of thread's starting post is likely good.
And with HE-400 having neutral, but very deep reaching bass and recession above 1 kHz you likely wouldn't like Audio Technica's in comparison lots of upper mid/treble without bass sound.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.p...e=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

With what Sennheiser is charging for their fashion plastics HD59x wouldn't exactly consider them.
Also if HD599 is going for fun bass sound then it has to compete against AKG K712 and Beyer's DT990...
Just few days ago in one Finnish forum person was looking, if there are any wireless open headphones with sound quality in same class as his 89 "vintage" DT990.
Would consider it major miracle for Sennheiser's fashion design to survive just half of that time.

Also AKGs long time tried mechanical design is more sound looking than Sennheisers.

As for comfort not sure if I've just now gotten more used to AKG's bigger but firmer pads.
While they still give feel of firmer pressure than Beyerdynamic with its very soft pads it's not bothering anymore.
Anyway with that "automatically adjusting" headband lower clamping force would be likely problem for them staying in their position.
Beyerdynamic has there definitely very good design with good adjustment range to keep cups in right place without relying on enough pressure.

I would also like to ask, whether anyone has tried one of those new headphones for gaming?
  • Beyerdynamic Amiron/DT1990
  • HD 599
With what I've read it seems like in soundstage comparison between them DT1990 loses despite of its "DT990 successorish" model number...
Myself wouldn't look at this millennnium's HD5xx Sennheisers basing on own experience of that Chinese fashion plastics level mechanical design...
(with their "support" keeping silent for 200€ product starting to crumble in 2½ year being the last straw)

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #39,441 of 48,566
Whats the recommendation for 100% focus on competetive gaming and positional surround coming from the HD650's? I see people recommend HD598 but cannot buy that anymore. They are selling HD599 but worse soundstage? I see Mad Lust really loved the Game Zero from Sennheiser but yeah....whats the recommendation? No budget

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #39,442 of 48,566
Can you tell us about soundstage (width and depth) and positional clue in comparison to the DT990?
With also studying that Mavic Pro before trying first flight (instead of after crashing...) haven't gotten to doing more thorough comparison.
Not that I got much anything really done yesterday with total of fair half hour of power cuts after late afternoon. (late autumn storm)
With stuffy feeling nose since afternoon just hoping I'm not getting flu, that would seriously mess any comparison attempts at least for couple days.

Widest part of my foot reaches forward to midway of big toe.
If looking just shoe length some shoe models feel like they're made for people with only three toes...
Try to top that.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #39,443 of 48,566
Whats the recommendation for 100% focus on competetive gaming and positional surround coming from the HD650's? I see people recommend HD598 but cannot buy that anymore. They are selling HD599 but worse soundstage? I see Mad Lust really loved the Game Zero from Sennheiser but yeah....whats the recommendation? No budget
You can find the 598's used. AD700/x are hard to beat for pure positional accuracy in FPS.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #39,444 of 48,566
Out of super competitive cans Audio Technica AD700-serie would likely sound entirely too bassless after HD650.
AKG K701/702 would fare better in bass.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.p...e=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph
Q701 would have mostly similar bass to HD650 if current K701/702 share same sound.
(K712 actually has more bass than HD650)

From Sennheiser forget HD59x.
Their mechanical design with that single sided ear cup attachment to head band is at Chinese fashion trinket level.
Gaming headsets are actually better in that with cup attachment more similar to HD650.

And MLE tested open design Game One.
Game Zero is closed design and hence suffers at least soundstage challenges.
Besides apparently also typical closed design sound challenges:
https://www.windowscentral.com/sennheiser-game-zero-review

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #39,445 of 48,566
Buy the Massdrop PC37X, sounds like game one but it's half the price

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #39,446 of 48,566
Out of super competitive cans Audio Technica AD700-serie would likely sound entirely too bassless after HD650.
AKG K701/702 would fare better in bass.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=853&graphID[1]=2661&graphID[2]=2621&graphID[3]=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph
Q701 would have mostly similar bass to HD650 if current K701/702 share same sound.
(K712 actually has more bass than HD650)

From Sennheiser forget HD59x.
Their mechanical design with that single sided ear cup attachment to head band is at Chinese fashion trinket level.
Gaming headsets are actually better in that with cup attachment more similar to HD650.

And MLE tested open design Game One.
Game Zero is closed design and hence suffers at least soundstage challenges.
Besides apparently also typical closed design sound challenges:
https://www.windowscentral.com/sennheiser-game-zero-review

To each their own. I really like my 598's. They're comfortable, lightweight and have great positional accuracy. Once their set it's not like you need to adjust them again. AD700's definitely are tinny though, and would only recommend them to someone looking solely from a competitive standpoint with immersion and fun being the least priority. LikeYethal said, PC37X is a great option, especially if you need something with a built in mic.

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #39,447 of 48,566
Hey forum. first time poster.
I consider myself a smart guy, but this audio stuff makes me feel like a moron. Ill summarize and pray you guys can help and maybe give a recommendation.
-Have high end PC, NO SOUND CARD (MOBO Sabertooth Z170 S, REALTEK ALC1150 audio codec)
-Have K712 and schitt magni 3 in mail (from reading thought I needed amp to power these)
Should I just be getting a Sound card?
80%game 20%music. Really just want great positional audio for my FPS games (PUBG, BF1) and at the same time feel immersed

There are SOOOO many oppinions and I understand why. Instead of getting less confusing the more you read, it seems to get more so due to those oppinions and more subjects that open up like 3D surround audio and what not, its hard to sort through what I actually need to
1. push the k712
2. get the best possible game audio and positional accuracy

ANY help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #39,448 of 48,566
Hey forum. first time poster.
I consider myself a smart guy, but this audio stuff makes me feel like a moron. Ill summarize and pray you guys can help and maybe give a recommendation.
-Have high end PC, NO SOUND CARD (MOBO Sabertooth Z170 S, REALTEK ALC1150 audio codec)
-Have K712 and schitt magni 3 in mail (from reading thought I needed amp to power these)
Should I just be getting a Sound card?
80%game 20%music. Really just want great positional audio for my FPS games (PUBG, BF1) and at the same time feel immersed

There are SOOOO many oppinions and I understand why. Instead of getting less confusing the more you read it seems to get more you keep reading into 3d audio, due to those oppinions and more subjects that open up like 3D surround audio and what not, its hard to sort through what I actually need to
1. push the k712
2. get the best possible game audio and positional accuracy

ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Since you already have an amp and a pair of cans the only thing you'd need is a virtual surround processor. First, try the Windows 10 built in option (Atmos and Windows Sonic). If that's good enough then there's no need to look further. If it doesn't satisfy you, you may want to look for a soundcard that's able to output virtual surround signal to line out.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #39,450 of 48,566
My understanding is my MOBO has an AMP, did I make a mistake thinking I needed one ordering the schitt magni 3? Also if I ended up going the sound card direction as you stated does that make my amp worthless?
The quality of a motherboard's built-in amp is going to vary greatly. You bought a Magni 3, so you have an idea what you can expect from it where the mobo is more of a mystery. Often times the built-in amps aren't up to par for better headphones. Personally I'd stick with the Magni 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back