Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #39,466 of 48,566
Well, if your computer gives out analog sound you already have DAC in there...:beyersmile::k701smile:
With own experience of mechanical design of HD59x would suggest staying away from them, especially when there's mechanically lot better designed headphones for cheaper price.
As apparently HD599 moves away from neutral bass of HD595/8 it would be in competitive sense (picking up foot step sounds and such) farther from level of AKG K702.
While in fun sound direction DT990 again offers very fan bass impact with still good soundstage and details... In design made to last.
Can well believe people having decades old DT990s in use...
That design is from time when product durability was more like thing of honour to designers, unlike in modern quarterly capitalism.

Would pretty much say choise between K702 and DT990 coming to:
Do you want closer to neutral bass for easiest distinguishing of foot steps and such sounds at the expense of less fun?
Or good impact bass for fun immersion with some compromise in competitiveness?
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2141&scale=30
Though for music you might want to give DT990 some minus in equalizer's 8 kHz band.
Unless you're used to treble which isn't rolled off.
Speaking of that what headphones you have currently?

That technically Digital-to-Analog Converter term has become fashion marketing name for selling less features as more.
While PES2k18 no doubt lacks benefit from more than stereo sound, Witcher and such games would have better immersion with binaural sound.
And that's where those fashion DACs have nothing.
Especially with good open headphones with big soundstage difference between stereo and binaural sound is big...
Basically like comparing "in left ear-in center of head-in right ear" sound to actually being in that environment listening sounds coming from all directions and different distances.
While with bad headphones binaural sound loses its immersion.
(so naturally most gaming branded headphones are bad Chinese garbage...)

Looking how you're also going to use both speakers and headphones, it would be good to have something which gives convenient switching between binaural-sound for headphones and speakers with different settings.
For Sound Blaster Z-serie there's SBZ Switcher which can be used to automate switching settings to hotkey.
In others there likely isn't equally easy way.
Or do you have laptop and need external sound card?

And don't worry, your English is very good.
Seen lot worser by people from supposedly English speaking countries.

Hello everyone, first thank you for your reply.

I don't have headphone yet, actually I got an Asus Strix Pro ( shaame ! ^^ ) and one side is broken. So I was looking at a new headset like Senn Game One or Arctis 5 with Senn GSX 1200 for example to connect all thoose things and have a good emulated 7.1 and better sound quality. And after several searches I found that it will be better to have good headphone + DAC+Amp and if it's possible, connect my 2.1 speaker ( But no more 7.1 )

IS DT990 or AKG K702/K712 + GSX 1200 Is a good combo ? Review says 7.1 is good with GSX 1200 so .. Difference between K702 and K712 is K712 provide more bass ?
Didi HD599 will suffer from the same problem of old HD59X with "crackling" ? If not is it a good option too ?

I've a desktop but the usb connection is good because I sometimes use a laptop yes.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #39,467 of 48,566
I don't have headphone yet, actually I got an Asus Strix Pro ( shaame ! ^^ ) and one side is broken. So I was looking at a new headset like Senn Game One or Arctis 5 with Senn GSX 1200 for example to connect all thoose things and have a good emulated 7.1 and better sound quality. And after several searches I found that it will be better to have good headphone + DAC+Amp and if it's possible, connect my 2.1 speaker ( But no more 7.1 )

IS DT990 or AKG K702/K712 + GSX 1200 Is a good combo ? Review says 7.1 is good with GSX 1200 so .. Difference between K702 and K712 is K712 provide more bass ?
Didi HD599 will suffer from the same problem of old HD59X with "crackling" ? If not is it a good option too ?

I've a desktop but the usb connection is good because I sometimes use a laptop yes.
Looking how bad frequency response those Anu... Asus gaming garbages have that silence might sound better...
Only noise they produce is some lower mids and treble spike:
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/60...gher-quality-testresults---frequency-response
In comparison already K702 would sound having good bass and DT990 and K712 would be like having some subwoofer.

I have here now K712 and DT990 along with couple years old second hand K702 (+ "retired" after 2½ years tape keeping pieces from falling HD595) so I'll try to do more thorough comparison of their binaural sound performance in Sunday. (work during day and sauna at evening tomorrow)
No touching of gaming junks after that lineup... or likely much any closed headphones.

Sennheiser GSX is one of those shameless "you can sell anything at high price as gaming product" trinkets.
(CEOs and marketroids don't know the meaning of word shame when they see chance to cheat money from people)
While binaural simulation is good GSX just isn't good as DAC and neither it is any proper headphone amplifier:
It uses Conexant's cheap ass DAC/output buffer chip meant for cheap battery always empty (toy)phones.
~40€ Audigy Fx has literally better D/A converter and at least equally beefy output.
SB Z has class higher DAC from Audigy Fx and Sound BlasterX AE-5 would be like top level Mercedes-Benz to some Trabant/Wartburg of GSX to use car analogy.
So for its high end/luxury price GSX can only be considered as overal bad product.

Unfortunately ear cup attachment of post-Y2K HD5xx Sennheisers is mechanically at about same level with weak design:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-598-starting-to-crack.534963/page-3#post-7328331
https://bbs.io-tech.fi/threads/laadukkaat-kuulokkeet.1154/page-24#post-2029927
That design would pretty much require metal or some aviation/space grade composite parts to be durable the way it focuses stresses.

As for using same device both with desktop and laptop (lot cheaper than GSX) Sound BlasterX G5 has way superior components and connectivity including line out for speakers.
Though if you use laptop away from home these headphones aren't exactly good for portability...

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #39,468 of 48,566
Hi all,

It's almost 4am, I've been reading this thread for almost 4 hours, and I think I've come to a basic understanding now. I'm on a moderate budget of around £150 but may be able to go 180-200 if really required. I used to own Steelseries V2 + Astro mixamp 2011 version years ago, but have just gotten back into competitive gaming.

I've ordered the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm, but I'm unsure of exactly what I need, or can 'get away with', to provide a good level of audio to a PS4 for competitive COD:

- Astro Mixamp: Would the older version be sufficient? How much of a difference would the PRO TR make?

- Amp:1) How much of a difference would not having an amp have for gaming if I have the mixamp?
2) Would this amp be sufficient: SMSL Audio Sap-II PRO seems very cheap?
edit: would this even connect in tandum with a mixamp with external mic

- I ordered the FiiO E10k but canceled after realising no input so cannot do 7.1 through the mixamp - any suggestions for alternatives? can't find the e9ks anywhere online

- Soundblaster 5: How much difference would this make to a mixamp, and would it provide a good level of audio with my headset for competitive gaming?

TLDR; Budget amp to power DT990 pro 250 ohm, is mixamp essential, would soundblaster 5 be firm alternative

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #39,471 of 48,566
Hi all,

It's almost 4am, I've been reading this thread for almost 4 hours, and I think I've come to a basic understanding now. I'm on a moderate budget of around £150 but may be able to go 180-200 if really required. I used to own Steelseries V2 + Astro mixamp 2011 version years ago, but have just gotten back into competitive gaming.

I've ordered the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm, but I'm unsure of exactly what I need, or can 'get away with', to provide a good level of audio to a PS4 for competitive COD:

- Astro Mixamp: Would the older version be sufficient? How much of a difference would the PRO TR make?

- Amp:1) How much of a difference would not having an amp have for gaming if I have the mixamp?
2) Would this amp be sufficient: SMSL Audio Sap-II PRO seems very cheap?
edit: would this even connect in tandum with a mixamp with external mic

- I ordered the FiiO E10k but canceled after realising no input so cannot do 7.1 through the mixamp - any suggestions for alternatives? can't find the e9ks anywhere online

- Soundblaster 5: How much difference would this make to a mixamp, and would it provide a good level of audio with my headset for competitive gaming?

TLDR; Budget amp to power DT990 pro 250 ohm, is mixamp essential, would soundblaster 5 be firm alternative
Mixamps are like wine, the older, the better. Stay with the 2011 version. The harder your headphones are to drive the bigger the difference an amp would make. If you're looking for a cheap amp, check out Schiit Magni 3.

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #39,473 of 48,566
I just purchased some AKG Q701s. How do I power them via xbox one?
Do you have a budget?
Do you want headphone surround sound (Astro Mix-amp) or is gaming in stereo audio ok?

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #39,474 of 48,566
With spare time issues, but mostly because of Beyerdynamic's black ear pad availability problem/shop getting no before hand information this comparison I promised has been moving forward few weeks.
You would think that in this "information society" era makers could actually before hand tell what items delivery for shop contains and what not...
Would have gotten delivery two weeks earlier by taking straigth away standard silver ear pads.

So contestants are couple years old (serial 123914) second hand AKG K702 , K712 (I had in that order) and guess about five years old Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium...
Which finally got overdue ear pad change, along with some cleaning of driver's diaphragm from pieces of hair.
(+ some comparison to retired after 2½ years of use, tape keeping pieces from falling Sennheiser HD595)

DT990 is Beyerdynamic's three decades old take on open big soundstage can with fun sound, giving for open can very good bass impact.

K702 is detachable cable version of AKG's fair decade old K701 aimed at highly analytical sound with big soundstage and neutral bass.

K712 is few years old AKG's model aimed at DT990 like more "balanced"/fun sound adding above neutral punching bass to K700 line.

AKG K702: (/K701)
Hands down the winner in competitiveness.
Neutral bass and highly analytical sound combined to soundstage makes it clearly the best of three for distinguishing foot steps, gunshots and such.
Can well believe it's among the absolutely best cans for competitive gaming.
(while HD595 was very good in comparison it felt lacking equal soundstage depth)
Donwside is some serious compromising in "fun factor":
Bass is there and goes respectably low if you listen for it, but it always takes back seat to details and just doesn't punch much.
(still little better than in in HD595)
And I guess Audio-Technica ATH-AD700(x) would make K701/702 sound fun...

With their current pricing (at least in EU) these are pretty much steal, if maximum level of competitiveness is needed.

AKG K712:
Soundstage feels overall very similar to K702 with huge size and lots of separation.
Difference feels to come mostly from that above neutral bass:
It simply makes foot steps and such less obvious when ever there are lower frequency sounds present.
That some compromising in competitiveness gives lot more fun factor compared to K702.
Instead of being "shy"/taking back seat bass is overall well present giving good immersion and punch.

Overall very well balanced with good amount of fun/immersion, without giving up that much from competitiviness.
Also at least in EU price has come down closer to DT990 Premium.

Beyerdynamic DT990:
Soundstage is big with good sense of depth, but not up to AKG level. (about there with HD595)
Though curiously some occasional sound felt little easier to distinguish than with K712.
Compared to DT990 K712 has some dip around 1½ and 3 kHz, so maybe with more "intimacy" in soundstage that's what caused it.
So while not overal up to K712 I guess it would be accurate to describe DT990 having some different style competitiviness.
Also fun/immersion is definitely DT990's strength.
While K712's bass should reach lower, DT990 feels having little more bass impact and immersion.
K712 having more mids no doubt causes that, likely along with soundstage difference.

Another well balanced can for mixed gaming with price in between K702 and K712.
As bonus design is very easy to DIY mod to headset if you have separate mic from gaming garbage headset or find one cheaply from web.
For those with limited budget Pro-version gives lots of "bang per buck", at the expense of possibly inconvenience from differences

Comfort:
Overall all three are very good fit for hours of continuous use.
AKG's have more firmer feeling pads and at first clearly gave definitely more feel of wearing them, but now with more time using them don't notice them that much.
Though DT990 Premium with it's very soft ear pads feels like having still little edge.

Also Beyer's head band with good manual adjusting is likely better for more peculiar head shapes and sizes.
AKG's head band is "automatically" adjusting, also relying on pressure for keeping ear cups positioned.
Also with time that elastic string in automatic adjustment might tire, it's definitely looser on second hand K702 than my new K712.
(though that might be also from original user having had lot bigger head)

DT990 Pro version has less decorated look and instead of straight cable has coiled cable, which can cause inconvenience if headphone connector isn't near.
(not that 3m cable is free of inconvenience needing careful managing)
Coiled cable might also cause some noise from rubbing to clothes.
At least trying coiled cable of AKGs causes some amount of it. (though also straight cable seems to give tiny bit of it unlike in DT990)
Also it has some more clamping force so in longer listening its comfort isn't as great. Then again with steel head band it shouldn't mind if you bend it little.

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #39,476 of 48,566
Hello everyone, so the combo AKG712 Pro + Sound BlasterX G5 seems pretty good to fit in my budget ( 350€ ) for gaming, USB facilities, 7.1, and good quality to listen music. Any better idea ?
Unless wanting absolutely maximum competitiveness K712 is definitely very well balanced.
(besides thread's starting post check my previous post)

While internal AE-5 should use same software and recording directly from "What U Hear" should remove any analog recording variable there seems to be some difference between it and SBX G5:
Creative AE-5 Sound Demo VS Others
Tomb Raider Surround Sound
Though having those other settings than binaural simulation enabled isn't good thing for comparison.
Of course if USB connectivity (for laptop) or changing between PCs is needed choise is done by that.

Stereo audio is OK, I'd like to stay as budget friendly as possible but say around 200 or so.
Doesn't Xbone now have that Windows Sonic for Headphones?
That should be better than "in left ear - in center of head - in right ear" stereo.

Hey MLE, saw you posted a question on Rtings headphones review. What do you think of their ratings scale?
Their gaming score sure seems to be based on anything but actual capabilities with binaural sound.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #39,477 of 48,566
Stereo audio is OK, I'd like to stay as budget friendly as possible but say around 200 or so.

A Hifimediy optical DAC ($59 + shipping $7?) should provide some nice audio quality.
A O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier should provide decent power.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #39,478 of 48,566
I will answer my own question from earlier in the thread: the Audioquest Nighthawks are great for positional audio. A good compromise between fun (bass) and positioning (imaging+soundstage). Has a very holographic sound that makes some stuff truly sound out of your head. For instance, a specific thing some of you can try: the police sirens on Black Ops 3 in the Black Market. With an X7, it really sounded like the sirens were happening outside, all around me. Not in a muddied way but very specifically moving all around me in discernible ways my ears could track. Also these things are super comfortable, they have a very cool headband design I have not seen before.

I really hope to do a more in depth review of the HP's I've amassed in the past two years, my goal is to basically compile a list of specific things in popular games and compare how all the HP's I own handle them. That way people reading it, if they have the games I have, can go listen and see how their HP's compare. I need to start taking notes as I listen more often thoguh... I'm keeping a little excel spreadsheet of stuff I notice after a gaming session but I don't update it enough. Need to be old fashioned and just keep a little notepad next to me!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #39,480 of 48,566
Their gaming score sure seems to be based on anything but actual capabilities with binaural sound.

Their information is so scattered and inconsistent with other reviews. It's almost hard to really get a good idea on which ones are good or bad for gaming other than the gaming HEADSETS. I love their tv reviews but I feel like their headphone reviews are not a priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back