Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #38,986 of 48,578
Audioquest dragonfly? It's not easy to get smaller than this
I saw this and was going to look into it, it looks nice and small and portable and is fairly cheap, but would it actually be able to provide the power to drive the 6xx headphones? I don't mind spending a little more, and I think part of me would rather have a USB cable coming out of my PC and I could rest the DAC/AMP on something else and plug into it rather than having that flash drive type usb device stick directly out of the side of it, but that's not a huge deal. I will look into this and see if it is a good option and should work for me. Otherwise I was looking at probably one of the smaller FiiO portable units that's a DAC and AMP. Smaller and portable is definitely good but I want to make sure it will be able to do everything I need it to and power the headphones properly etc and improve my sound quality.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #38,988 of 48,578
I'm currently waiting for my PC37X to arrive. Any idea what I should drive this with? This will be used for gaming, youtube vids, movies, and casual music listening. I don't really want to move my main listening rig around.

I'm keen to try HRTF or VSS stuff so I was looking at Sennheiser GSX 1000 and Asus Xonar U7 MkII. The GSX is considerably more expensive but is it that much better? How's the ADC inside those units (I want clean sound for the mic)?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #38,989 of 48,578
I'm currently waiting for my PC37X to arrive. Any idea what I should drive this with? This will be used for gaming, youtube vids, movies, and casual music listening. I don't really want to move my main listening rig around.

I'm keen to try HRTF or VSS stuff so I was looking at Sennheiser GSX 1000 and Asus Xonar U7 MkII. The GSX is considerably more expensive but is it that much better? How's the ADC inside those units (I want clean sound for the mic)?
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (buy used off eBay or Amazon or other).

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #38,990 of 48,578
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (buy used off eBay or Amazon or other).
Ah sorry I should have said that I'm looking for USB solution, not PCIe

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #38,991 of 48,578
Ah sorry I should have said that I'm looking for USB solution, not PCIe
Ok, external USB is what you want.
I'm guessing the Asus Xonar U7 (MK II) is good enough.
For the kind of cash you would spend for the Sennheiser GSX-1000, would be better off getting headphones that are better (music quality wise) then the PC373.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #38,992 of 48,578
Ok, external USB is what you want.
I'm guessing the Asus Xonar U7 (MK II) is good enough.
For the kind of cash you would spend for the Sennheiser GSX-1000, would be better off getting headphones that are better (music quality wise) then the PC373.
Well, are there any headsets that are better than this though? I don't like to deal with Modmic cable mess so that rules a lot of stuff out. I guess I can get Fidelio X2+VModa Boom Pro but the mic quality is questionable and the price is a bit overkill for a casual setup (I have LCD-X and TG334 for music).

The reason I was looking for GSX 1000 was its VSS capability and the existence of microphone input.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #38,993 of 48,578
Well, are there any headsets that are better than this though? I don't like to deal with Modmic cable mess so that rules a lot of stuff out. I guess I can get Fidelio X2+VModa Boom Pro but the mic quality is questionable and the price is a bit overkill for a casual setup (I have LCD-X and TG334 for music).
The reason I was looking for GSX 1000 was its VSS capability and the existence of microphone input.
I would think the PC373 and U7 would be good enough for now.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #38,994 of 48,578
The PC37X is insanely easy to drive. If I am remembering correctly, 116db/1mW. Anything can drive these to insane volume. They sound pretty good with music. I'm kind of shocked actually, because I didn't like the PC360 for music at all (the original Sennheiser headset). It's a really good deal and a really good headset, especially at $120.

It's currently dropping, and the 4 posted reviews all get into the sound. 2 reviews are from members here at Head-fi and active in the gaming threads. Both have a very good grasp of headphones and VSS.

I think you'll be surprised once you listen to them. I really like them, and have much nicer headphones to compare them against. Great for gaming, good for music (most people would be happy with these for music no problem).

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #38,995 of 48,578
Big news: Logitech acquired Astro but intends to let them remain independent. Astro staff, per neogaf, seem excited about the move, as Skullcandy did not appear to have much interest/knowledge of the gaming space.

Hope Astro gets back to making boundary pushing products like the Mixamp Pro, and fewer iterative and ultimately mediocre headsets, in a space that countinues to become increasing competitive.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #38,998 of 48,578
Maybe they'll finally move past Dolby Digital and adopt 7.1 LPCM (or even Atmos) as their new input standard. And add a digital (processed) output. And stop this 5-pin minijack nonsense

As for the PC37X discussion a few posts back, at $120 the price/performance ratio is incredible. Highly recommended. I may have to buy a shorter cable for it though, I don't think Sennheiser considered coffin-apartment owners as their primary demographic back when they designed the headset.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #38,999 of 48,578
Hi. I'm looking to get new headphones purely for gaming. Currently I have the suplerlux 681 but now that I have some money I'd like to upgrade to something more expensive.

Looking at the reviews the best for gaming seem to be the akg k7xx or the sennheiser 598s. Out of these 2 which is better for sound whoring? I won't be using an amp or anything like that. Just plugging into my computer.

Also i'm not much of an audiophile and would the jump from the 681 be a big jump? Will i be able to hear differences and have a bigger sound stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back